X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic DVD Boxsets... I wonder...

So, ok... i'm a tad confused.

The BBC are releasing DVDs in a very odd fashion. Story by story, indiviudally... And yet, the American viewers have got ONE DVD boxset, The Key To Time, which is ACTUALLY the entirety of Tom Baker's 5th series.

Now, I know that older eps need to be restored, but if they have one boxset available, why not release more boxsets in a similar style to Stargate SG-1?

Any thoughts?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Well the Uk does have the Lost in Time Boxset but I see what you mean.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Its much nicer to get boxset.
      Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
        So, ok... i'm a tad confused.

The BBC are releasing DVDs in a very odd fashion. Story by story, indiviudally... And yet, the American viewers have got ONE DVD boxset, The Key To Time, which is ACTUALLY the entirety of Tom Baker's 5th series.

Now, I know that older eps need to be restored, but if they have one boxset available, why not release more boxsets in a similar style to Stargate SG-1?

Any thoughts?
        The only explanation I heard was that the BBC is under the impression that U.K. consumers either prefer single releases or are more willing to accept single releases.

I suspect they have developed a plan for their release schedule, The Key to Time release was a remnant of an earlier policy, and they're trying to keep everyone happy by alternating the releases of different eras.

Meanwhile, the U.S. market has been pressuring them to release boxsets.

Now the reason why they don't release season boxsets is simple. The Restoration Team that is remastering the stories for DVD, are doing it on their own time without pay, so the release schedule is going to be slow as long as the BBC won't invest the money.

Since the release schedule is slow, it needs to reflect a variety of eras to keep up the interest of various fan tastes. Some prefer Davison, some prefer Pertwee, etc.

Comment

You'd have thought that with new Who out, the BBC would recognise that classic DVDs are a huge market and pump more money into it.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

You'd have thought that with new Who out, the BBC would recognise that classic DVDs are a huge market and pump more money into it.
            But are they?

In the U.S., at least, Doctor Who has been largely ignored for the last 16 years. Prior to that, it had only a cult following here.

I know it's more popular elsewhere, but popular enough to sustain season boxsets?

You're from the U.K., do you see that level of demand there?

Comment

I know, If I was them I'd also offer rewards for finding lost eps too, but they don't seem to like customers

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                But are they?

In the U.S., at least, Doctor Who has been largely ignored for the last 16 years. Prior to that, it had only a cult following here.

I know it's more popular elsewhere, but popular enough to sustain season boxsets?

You're from the U.K., do you see that level of demand there?
                Really? No.

But youd have THOUGHT they would...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Really? No.

But youd have THOUGHT they would...
                  Darn it, but it makes sense.

Most of the Classic Series fans are older now.

Much time has passed since the series ended in 1989.

The VHS line probably dampened projected sales for the DVD line.

You can tell by the stinginess of the DVD Restoration Project, the demand just wasn't there.

Comment

Well if they weren't so horrendously expensive over at our end, I'd buy more. Everything that Beebs puts out seems to be excessively dear. The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes is another case in point. I wish the ABC here would get the license to produce them locally. I can just imagine if they put it in a boxset the prices are going to be equally bad.
                    There are advantages to putting our single story discs... but perhaps some time in the future they might box them according to the different doctors.
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

It all relies on Funding. IF the BBC actually funded the DWRT Im pretty certain we would have boxsets plus a better campaign in finding the lost episodes.
                      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        Well if they weren't so horrendously expensive over at our end, I'd buy more. Everything that Beebs puts out seems to be excessively dear. The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes is another case in point. I wish the ABC here would get the license to produce them locally. I can just imagine if they put it in a boxset the prices are going to be equally bad.
                        There are advantages to putting our single story discs... but perhaps some time in the future they might box them according to the different doctors.
                        How much for Jeremy Brett's episodes?

Comment

Id imagine they are making alot on DVDs you wouldn't believe how many DW fan I meet. Does any one have the figures

Comment

Originally posted by Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
                            How much for Jeremy Brett's episodes?
                            $54 AUD for a three disc 6 episodes set with next to no optional extras.
                            Compared with an entire Stargate season for the same price these days. Atlantis was AUD$69 new...
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              $54 AUD for a three disc 6 episodes set with next to no optional extras.
                              Compared with an entire Stargate season for the same price these days. Atlantis was AUD$69 new...
                              Converting that...equals $40.88 USD.

Checking U.S. Amazon prices....
                              The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes $31.99
                              The Sherlock Holmes Feature Film Collection $47.99
                              The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes $44.99
                              The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes $35.99
                              The Return of Sherlock Holmes $47.99

Seems comparable to what I have to pay.

Egh, now I'm thinking about completing my collection.

Mustn't think about Jeremy Brett.

Granada...Granada...David Burke...Edward Hardwicke...must control buying impulse....violin music...making it hard to...resist.....

Comment

Working...
                              X