PDA

View Full Version : Classic DVD Boxsets... I wonder...

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 10:25 AM
So, ok... i'm a tad confused.

The BBC are releasing DVDs in a very odd fashion. Story by story, indiviudally... And yet, the American viewers have got ONE DVD boxset, The Key To Time, which is ACTUALLY the entirety of Tom Baker's 5th series.

Now, I know that older eps need to be restored, but if they have one boxset available, why not release more boxsets in a similar style to Stargate SG-1?

Any thoughts?

Metarock Sam
January 30th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Well the Uk does have the Lost in Time Boxset but I see what you mean.

creed462
January 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Its much nicer to get boxset.

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
January 30th, 2006, 02:37 PM
So, ok... i'm a tad confused.

The BBC are releasing DVDs in a very odd fashion. Story by story, indiviudally... And yet, the American viewers have got ONE DVD boxset, The Key To Time, which is ACTUALLY the entirety of Tom Baker's 5th series.

Now, I know that older eps need to be restored, but if they have one boxset available, why not release more boxsets in a similar style to Stargate SG-1?

Any thoughts?The only explanation I heard was that the BBC is under the impression that U.K. consumers either prefer single releases or are more willing to accept single releases.

I suspect they have developed a plan for their release schedule, The Key to Time release was a remnant of an earlier policy, and they're trying to keep everyone happy by alternating the releases of different eras.

Meanwhile, the U.S. market has been pressuring them to release boxsets.

Now the reason why they don't release season boxsets is simple. The Restoration Team that is remastering the stories for DVD, are doing it on their own time without pay, so the release schedule is going to be slow as long as the BBC won't invest the money.

Since the release schedule is slow, it needs to reflect a variety of eras to keep up the interest of various fan tastes. Some prefer Davison, some prefer Pertwee, etc.

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 02:46 PM
You'd have thought that with new Who out, the BBC would recognise that classic DVDs are a huge market and pump more money into it.

January 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
You'd have thought that with new Who out, the BBC would recognise that classic DVDs are a huge market and pump more money into it.But are they?

In the U.S., at least, Doctor Who has been largely ignored for the last 16 years. Prior to that, it had only a cult following here.

I know it's more popular elsewhere, but popular enough to sustain season boxsets?

You're from the U.K., do you see that level of demand there?

creed462
January 30th, 2006, 02:50 PM
You'd have thought that with new Who out, the BBC would recognise that classic DVDs are a huge market and pump more money into it.
I know, If I was them I'd also offer rewards for finding lost eps too, but they don't seem to like customers

Flyboy
January 31st, 2006, 02:45 AM
But are they?

In the U.S., at least, Doctor Who has been largely ignored for the last 16 years. Prior to that, it had only a cult following here.

I know it's more popular elsewhere, but popular enough to sustain season boxsets?

You're from the U.K., do you see that level of demand there?
Really? No.

But youd have THOUGHT they would...

January 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Really? No.

But youd have THOUGHT they would...Darn it, but it makes sense.

Most of the Classic Series fans are older now.

Much time has passed since the series ended in 1989.

The VHS line probably dampened projected sales for the DVD line.

You can tell by the stinginess of the DVD Restoration Project, the demand just wasn't there.

Easter Lily
January 31st, 2006, 02:04 PM
Well if they weren't so horrendously expensive over at our end, I'd buy more. Everything that Beebs puts out seems to be excessively dear. The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes is another case in point. I wish the ABC here would get the license to produce them locally. I can just imagine if they put it in a boxset the prices are going to be equally bad.
There are advantages to putting our single story discs... but perhaps some time in the future they might box them according to the different doctors.

Metarock Sam
January 31st, 2006, 02:06 PM
It all relies on Funding. IF the BBC actually funded the DWRT Im pretty certain we would have boxsets plus a better campaign in finding the lost episodes.

January 31st, 2006, 02:18 PM
Well if they weren't so horrendously expensive over at our end, I'd buy more. Everything that Beebs puts out seems to be excessively dear. The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes is another case in point. I wish the ABC here would get the license to produce them locally. I can just imagine if they put it in a boxset the prices are going to be equally bad.
There are advantages to putting our single story discs... but perhaps some time in the future they might box them according to the different doctors.How much for Jeremy Brett's episodes?

creed462
January 31st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Id imagine they are making alot on DVDs you wouldn't believe how many DW fan I meet. Does any one have the figures

Easter Lily
January 31st, 2006, 04:40 PM
How much for Jeremy Brett's episodes?
$54 AUD for a three disc 6 episodes set with next to no optional extras.
Compared with an entire Stargate season for the same price these days. Atlantis was AUD$69 new...

January 31st, 2006, 05:13 PM
$54 AUD for a three disc 6 episodes set with next to no optional extras.
Compared with an entire Stargate season for the same price these days. Atlantis was AUD$69 new...Converting that...equals $40.88 USD.

Checking U.S. Amazon prices....
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes $31.99
The Sherlock Holmes Feature Film Collection $47.99
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes $44.99
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes $35.99
The Return of Sherlock Holmes $47.99

Seems comparable to what I have to pay.

Egh, now I'm thinking about completing my collection.

Mustn't think about Jeremy Brett.

Granada...Granada...David Burke...Edward Hardwicke...must control buying impulse....violin music...making it hard to...resist.....

January 31st, 2006, 05:14 PM
Id imagine they are making alot on DVDs you wouldn't believe how many DW fan I meet. Does any one have the figuresYou're the one who met them.

Shouldn't you be the one keeping track? :P

creed462
January 31st, 2006, 05:56 PM
I ment on disk sales.

Easter Lily
January 31st, 2006, 06:16 PM
Converting that...equals $40.88 USD.

Checking U.S. Amazon prices....
The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes $31.99
The Sherlock Holmes Feature Film Collection $47.99
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes $44.99
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes $35.99
The Return of Sherlock Holmes $47.99

Seems comparable to what I have to pay.

Egh, now I'm thinking about completing my collection.

Mustn't think about Jeremy Brett.

Granada...Granada...David Burke...Edward Hardwicke...must control buying impulse....violin music...making it hard to...resist.....
Everything from the UK is expensive unless the ABC bring out their own version. *does a Muttley grumble*
It's a terrific series, isn't it... I've got The Return and The Memoirs.

January 31st, 2006, 07:20 PM
I ment on disk sales.Yeah, just kidding again.

I'm in a jokey mood. Teased you twice already tonight.

It's not fair. I should spread it around more. ;)

I hunted for the information, but I couldn't find it.

January 31st, 2006, 07:21 PM
Everything from the UK is expensive unless the ABC bring out their own version. *does a Muttley grumble*
It's a terrific series, isn't it... I've got The Return and The Memoirs.I'm only missing Memoirs and Casebook.

creed462
February 2nd, 2006, 09:51 AM
I think they should attach two ep serials to either the preciding seiral and the following one.

February 2nd, 2006, 10:46 AM
I think they should attach two ep serials to either the preciding seiral and the following one.Hmmm, seems like they passed up that opportunity with The Sontaran Experiment and Black Orchid.

creed462
February 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
I know, and when they do release them How much do you think they will charge for them

February 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
I know, and when they do release them How much do you think they will charge for themAmazon charges $22 for 4 episode stories and $31 for 6 episode stories when they are first released.

I'm guessing $15 for 2 episode stories when they are first released.

creed462
February 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
I would hope

Metarock Sam
February 3rd, 2006, 06:57 AM
So do we all ......

creed462
February 3rd, 2006, 11:27 AM
I hate to have to pay 25$ fo a two eps serial

Metarock Sam
February 4th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Well $25 is a good price for two serials. tTake the fact that ere in the UK Serials are usually £15 each which is way more expensive. Around $45

creed462
February 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM
That is high

Metarock Sam
February 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Yep it is. Very High !!!!

creed462
February 6th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Do they relise that if you charge less you'll sale more

February 6th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Do they relise that if you charge less you'll sale moreYes, but they won't necessarily sell enough to justify the drop in price, in which case, they earn less revenue.

creed462
February 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
true

Flyboy
February 8th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Well, if actual series boxsets are out of the question... I would hope that The Key to Time boxset will be released in the UK, and I hope that Trial of A Timelord will be put together as a boxset as well.

Metarock Sam
February 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Trail of a Timelord should be put in a boxset real soon since it is already in a video boxset.

Flyboy
February 8th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Really? You mean VHS?

Metarock Sam
February 8th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Yeah didnt you know. It was released for the 30th anniversary in a special edition boxset which I own.

Flyboy
February 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Nope, had no idea. Hmm, well it shouldnt be TOO difficult to convert VHS tapes into DVDs should it?

Metarock Sam
February 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Well you have to taqke into account bonus features, commentaries etc. Plus the Stories have to be remasterd to top quality.

Flyboy
February 8th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Mmm, granted. But its nice to know that they DO have the footage.

February 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Nope, had no idea. Hmm, well it shouldnt be TOO difficult to convert VHS tapes into DVDs should it?Except they don't convert VHS to DVD.

They start from the source tapes in the archive and digitally remaster them.

Even if they had previously remastered the story for VHS release, the technology has recently improved, so they would start from scratch so they could get a better quality product that the VHS format couldn't have supported.

Flyboy
February 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Except they don't convert VHS to DVD.

They start from the source tapes in the archive and digitally remaster them.

Even if they had previously remastered the story for VHS release, the technology has recently improved, so they would start from scratch so they could get a better quality product that the VHS format couldn't have supported.
Ah. Ok. Fair Enough.

*keeps fingers crossed to see it soon enough*

February 8th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Ah. Ok. Fair Enough.

*keeps fingers crossed to see it soon enough*If you want to learn more about the challenges faced by the Restoration Team in remastering Doctor Who for DVD, click here (http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/).

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Maybe if the BBC would put something like ten percent of the sales into restoration they could do some more stuff

Metarock Sam
February 9th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Perhpas even more. Perhaps 50%

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Perhpas even more. Perhaps 50%
Oh so ture :)

Metarock Sam
February 9th, 2006, 12:58 PM
We can dare to dream guys and as the great RAF once said. 'He who Dares Wins !!!'

Flyboy
February 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM
We can dare to dream guys and as the great RAF once said. 'He who Dares Wins !!!'
Isn't that the SAS motto?

The RAF motto is Per Ardua Ad Astra - Through Endevour To The Stars

creed462
February 9th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Let us hope

Metarock Sam
February 10th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Isn't that the SAS motto?

The RAF motto is Per Ardua Ad Astra - Through Endevour To The Stars
I dont know all I know is that its British and was on alot of posters with planes on during WW2.

February 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM
We should do a poll on which boxset we'd like to see released next.

1.) Froniter in Space & Planet of the Daleks
2.) The E-Space Trilogy (Full Circle, State of Decay, & The Warrior's Gate)
3.) The Master Trilogy (The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis, & Castrovalva)
4.) The Black Guardian Trilogy (Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, & Enlightenment)
5.) Trial of a Time Lord (The Mysterious Planet, Mindwarp, Terror of the Vervoids, & The Ultimate Foe)

Flyboy
February 19th, 2006, 04:15 AM
We should do a poll on which boxset we'd like to see released next.

1.) Froniter in Space & Planet of the Daleks
2.) The E-Space Trilogy (Full Circle, State of Decay, & The Warrior's Gate)
3.) The Master Trilogy (The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis, & Castrovalva)
4.) The Black Guardian Trilogy (Mawdryn Undead, Terminus, & Enlightenment)
5.) Trial of a Time Lord (The Mysterious Planet, Mindwarp, Terror of the Vervoids, & The Ultimate Foe)
Let's not forget the Key to Time boxset for the UK!

Though I think our of your list, I'd like to see The Master Trilogy and Trial of a Timelord.

February 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Let's not forget the Key to Time boxset for the UK!I'm beginning to think the U.K. has a better chance of seeing those other boxsets first.

Though I think our of your list, I'd like to see The Master Trilogy and Trial of a Timelord.I'd be happy with any of them, although the E-Space Trilogy would probably top the list for me.

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I was just mentioning to a friend that we shouldn't show earthshock to some one that hasn't seen Advric's charter from the beginning. Espace trilligy would be nice for that

February 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I was just mentioning to a friend that we shouldn't show earthshock to some one that hasn't seen Advric's charter from the beginning. Espace trilligy would be nice for thatSure, why not start from his first appearance? ;)

creed462
February 19th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I remeber how sad it was the frist time I saw it

Just a though maybe they can give us Box set by compaions

Metarock Sam
February 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
hmmmm that may work but the problem is there isnt even amounts of companion episodes. Some companions last for only 4 or 5 stories whilst others may last 4 or 5 seasons. Its all very crazy.

creed462
February 21st, 2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, and they overlap, It was just a thought. I'd just like more releases

in circles
February 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
A Cyberman boxset would be pretty cool. Tenth Planet, The Invasion and Revenge of the Cybermen.

creed462
February 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Sadly I'd have to break it apart. I like keeping the eps in order

February 21st, 2006, 11:35 AM
Sadly I'd have to break it apart. I like keeping the eps in orderWhat stories do you have?

Metarock Sam
February 21st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Sadly I'd have to break it apart. I like keeping the eps in order
PErhaps it could be released as 2 boxsets

BoX 1:
The Tenth Planet
Tomb of the Cybermen
Moonbase
The Invasion
The Wheel in Space

Box 2:
Revenge of the Cybermen
Earthshock
Attack of the Cybermen
Silver Nemises.

I think thats all of them....

February 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
PErhaps it could be released as 2 boxsets

BoX 1:
The Tenth Planet
Tomb of the Cybermen
Moonbase
The Invasion
The Wheel in Space

Box 2:
Revenge of the Cybermen
Earthshock
Attack of the Cybermen
Silver Nemises.

I think thats all of them....The only one that could have possibly counted as a Cybermen story which wasn't listed is The Five Doctors.

February 21st, 2006, 12:32 PM
How about a boxset including...
The Silurians
The Seas Devils
The Warriors of the Deep ???

Metarock Sam
February 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
True but its not technically a Cybermen story they are in it but get destroyed anyway. Plus they are not a main focus of the story. Also The Five Doctors has already been released on DVD in special edition. I dont see the need for a re release unless they make new interviews and stuff for it. Now that would be nice.

February 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM
True but its not technically a Cybermen story they are in it but get destroyed anyway. Plus they are not a main focus of the story. Also The Five Doctors has already been released on DVD in special edition. I dont see the need for a re release unless they make new interviews and stuff for it. Now that would be nice.If you're using that as a criteria, I should point out...

Tomb of the Cybermen, Moonbase, The Wheel in Space, and Earthshock have already been released.

Invasion, Revenge of the Cybermen, and Attack of the Cybermen are supposed to be released for Region 2 in 2006.

Metarock Sam
February 21st, 2006, 01:39 PM
ah but moonbase and the wheel in space have not been fully released since they are lost episodes. Perhpas we shall find them eventually...
Btw I think A Silurians/ Sea Devils boxset would be fantastic !!!

February 21st, 2006, 01:43 PM
ah but moonbase and the wheel in space have not been fully released since they are lost episodes. Perhpas we shall find them eventually...Okay, but the following were still released complete.
Tomb of the Cybermen, Earthshock, Revenge of the Cybermen, and Attack of the Cybermen.

Btw I think A Silurians/ Sea Devils boxset would be fantastic !!!Then howabout releasing The Time Warrior and The Sontaran Experiment as a boxset? ;)

creed462
February 21st, 2006, 03:57 PM
What stories do you have?
Azteks
Darlek Invasion of Earth
Tomb of Cybermen
The Mind Ripper
The Seeds of Death
The Spearhead From Space
Tha Claws of Axos
The Carnavile Of Monsters
All curent Fouth Doctor DVD's
The Vistation
EarthShock (Just Got)
the Five Doctor
Vengence on Vros(Sp)
Ghost Light

February 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM
You're only missing...

1st & 2nd Doctor
The Lost in Time Collection

3rd Doctor
The Three Doctors
The Green Death

5th Doctor
Resurrection of the Daleks
The Caves of Androzani

6th Doctor
The Two Doctors

7th Doctor
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Curse of Fenric

Not bad at all.

February 21st, 2006, 09:03 PM
Here's another idea for a boxset...Curse of Peladon & Monster of Peladon.

Easter Lily
February 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
Here's another idea for a boxset...Curse of Peladon & Monster of Peladon.
Oooh... yes, yes... most definitely....
Yup... DO IT NOW... :D

Flyboy
February 22nd, 2006, 12:26 AM
I've got to say, I'm uncomfortable with the boxsets breaking up stories. I think any boxsets MUST be in a format like The Beginning Boxset where there are no episodes in between the episodes included.

DASP; Glad to hear that there's a good cybermen release batch this year. U've been wanting to see Invasion for a long time, and the Tom Baker cyberman ep... I think Revenge? Well I remember seeing that when I was about 6, we used to rent it from the library, I want to see it again!

creed462
February 22nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
You're only missing...

1st & 2nd Doctor
The Lost in Time Collection

3rd Doctor
The Three Doctors
The Green Death

5th Doctor
Resurrection of the Daleks
The Caves of Androzani

6th Doctor
The Two Doctors

7th Doctor
Remembrance of the Daleks
The Curse of Fenric

Not bad at all.
Opps Forgot
I also have the Lost Years
and The Green Death

I agree with Bennett Spiting stories up is just worng

Metarock Sam
February 22nd, 2006, 07:37 AM
True but some stories Like Dalek stories or Cytbermen stories can be linked together to each other easily.

I think however what they shouyld release is boxsets such as The Key to Time and The Trial of a Timelord first before big things such as a cybermen story boxset.

The only thing I dont understand is why the UK doesnt have the Key to Time boxset. Its all rather silly really.

February 22nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
I've got to say, I'm uncomfortable with the boxsets breaking up stories. I think any boxsets MUST be in a format like The Beginning Boxset where there are no episodes in between the episodes included.I understand. Personally, the only part about that which bothers me is that I'm obviously going to reorganize them, so what would I do with the box afterwards?

DASP; Glad to hear that there's a good cybermen release batch this year. U've been wanting to see Invasion for a long time, and the Tom Baker cyberman ep... I think Revenge? Well I remember seeing that when I was about 6, we used to rent it from the library, I want to see it again!Don't think too much about it when you see it again, otherwise you'll be distracted by the gaping plot holes. :D

February 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM
Opps Forgot
I also have the Lost Years
and The Green DeathOnly six to go.

Until the end of March...then three more are released. ;)

creed462
February 22nd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Only six to go.

Until the end of March...then three more are released. ;)
I know, and I would problely be able to get one or two by then

Resurection Of the Darleks anyone

February 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
I know, and I would problely be able to get one or two by then

Resurection Of the Darleks anyonePersonally, I'd go with The Three Doctors first. Great scenes with Patrick Troughton and Nicholas Courtney. They are so funny in that one.

creed462
February 22nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
I am tring to buy them in order, and that is the one I'm on

Metarock Sam
February 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah The Three Doctors is a brilliant DVD plus its got some great bonus features such as interviews with Jon Pertwee and Katy Manning aswell as some other great stuff. Also if you buy the special edition version you can get a model of Bessie the car !!! (The Catch is that its about twice as expensive though :o)

Easter Lily
February 26th, 2006, 11:25 PM
It's chockful of great stuff... simply wonderful.

I buy them according to price... the amount of goodies I can get for the price... and then according to how much I enjoy a particular story.

There's not a lot of Who I don't like... ;)

creed462
February 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM
There's not a lot of who any of us doesn't like,

I don't mind not having a lot of exters if that means we get more eps

Metarock Sam
February 27th, 2006, 11:45 AM
But I like Extras. Extras are great !!!

creed462
February 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM
i like them too, I just saying I'd give them up for more show

Metarock Sam
February 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Well I see what you mean. How about less extras however longer lasting extras eg anniversairy documentaries and everything.

creed462
February 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
That would be nice

Easter Lily
March 1st, 2006, 10:31 PM
Oh... I'm a sucker for extras too... otherwise what's the point of getting the DVD... or paying over $30 for one story.
There are times when I wish Beebs would release them in boxsets... by Doctors... by season... that sort of thing.

creed462
March 2nd, 2006, 05:13 AM
Oh... I'm a sucker for extras too... otherwise what's the point of getting the DVD... or paying over $30 for one story.
There are times when I wish Beebs would release them in boxsets... by Doctors... by season... that sort of thing.
I like the fact DVD save shelf space,

I think we all want the BBC to release season box sets........................

Flyboy
May 15th, 2006, 08:59 AM
You know what I've noticed? From what I can see... the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Doctors all have their episodes safely stored in the BBC. I guss it would be far too much to hope for to get entire Doctor boxsets... but maybe one day.

I wouldn't mind having a boxset in the style of an X Files/Serenity case with all of that particular Doctor's stories in it.

I would of course settle for series boxsets....

Still.

At least we know with the fourth doctor onwards, its not impossible to have a series/doctor boxset.

creed462
May 20th, 2006, 04:52 PM
I all readyown too many singles to start over

Metarock Sam
May 21st, 2006, 12:16 AM
Ive got aquite a few singles but if they release big boxsets ill buy them anyway.

creed462
May 21st, 2006, 10:41 AM
I don't like rebuying stuff

Flyboy
May 21st, 2006, 12:41 PM
Good for you,

I for one would TOTALLY rebuy!

Metarock Sam
May 22nd, 2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah although im not sure of buying all the 7th Doctor Episodes together as not all of them aare brilliant.

Flyboy
May 22nd, 2006, 02:31 AM
But then, surely that can be said of ALL the doctors?

creed462
May 22nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Yeah although im not sure of buying all the 7th Doctor Episodes together as not all of them aare brilliant.
Yes, but I would like to own the wole seris