PDA

View Full Version : Torchwood - Captain Jack explained... Maybe

Flyboy
January 29th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Ok. We KNOW that during the first series of Torchwood there will be no explanation as to how captain Jack actually reached present day Earth from Gamestation. Many suggest that he came in the ship that landed 10 years ago providing the big honking space gun that Earth now has.

I however provide a different answer. Based on my own wild speculation that is most likely wrong, but I like anyway.

Jack hasn't gotten back. He is actually still in the future rebuilding the earth.

The Jack that we see in Torchwood is actually a past version of Jack seen before series 1 (27) of Doctor Who. We know that Harkness has had two years of his memory removed by the Time Agency. It is entirely possible that these missing two years were actually spent on Earth. It would be fitting as RTD would be following up on something already hinted at, and then nothing in Torchwood would contradict Who canon, as he later loses his memory.

What do you think?

Reefgirl
January 29th, 2006, 03:16 AM
Good and plausible, great idea

iluuuuuvjack
January 29th, 2006, 06:31 AM
I think it would be a very clever explanation for things, and I agree that based on the lack of information we have about Captain Jack's loss of memory it would definitely possible.
I'm just having a hard time trying to work it out...
But would it mean that there would be no reference to the Doctor in the show at all? Because if Jack hadn't met him yet then there would be no way that there could be...?

I have to say... it's good, but damn confusing!!

Metarock Sam
January 29th, 2006, 06:35 AM
perhaps he goes from the future to the past to retreive his memories therefore it would happen after he met the Doctor. Thats how we can have crossovers ;)

Flyboy
January 29th, 2006, 06:37 AM
Just because Jack doesn't remember meeting a Tennent Doctor, doesn't mean he hasn't. DT could apear in Torchwood, and it would be fine, as Jack would later forget it. Though Jack WOULD probabley have not met the dr before hand. Other characters may know of the doctor.

The other thing is... it would allow Jack to be a LOT darker. Like RTD set the show would be. Afterall, Jack mused in The Empty Child (i think) that The Doctor may well have good reason not to trust him, as he doesnt remember who he was.

iluuuuuvjack
January 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM
I'm trying to think this through, and I'm getting very confused...
We know for sure that CE had never met Jack before, right? So that means that if DT were to meet Jack before he got his memory erased he would know Jack, but Jack wouldn't know him... right?

But you're totally right about how he could be a darker person. I suppose he could be a whole different person... but then again, does losing you're memory mean that you're personality can change?
Either way, I think it would definitely make for an interesting explanation of things.

Flyboy
January 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Yes, loss of memory can make you into a different person. Its theorised in the behavioural and cognitive perspectives in psychological research that its our experiences that make us who we are. A loss of reccolection of experiences might make a different person.

Time is all relative. Just because DT meets Past Jack, doesnt mean CE would have reccolection of this.

Rowana
January 29th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Wow; that's a cool idea. It opens up a lot of interesting possibilities too. I hope I get to see Torchwood someday.

creed462
January 29th, 2006, 02:28 PM
That sounds so cool.

Willow'sCat
January 30th, 2006, 01:59 AM
It's too confusing, I mean what is wrong with he hitch a ride with someone who can travel in time *again*. Easy. ;)

ShadowMaat
January 30th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Funny you should mention this pre-Who thing, I had a dream very similar to that this morning. ;) It was awfully confusing, within the dream, and I kept trying to figure out how they were planning to do crossovers if te characters essentially hadn't met in.. whichever ep of Who that was.

And yet, from a logical standpoint, it should make a lot of sense. I'm just not sure how to justify the crossovers thing. I mean, the Doctor doesn't forget everything every time he regenerates, right? Unless they're never going to interact directly. Christmas Invasion Like how Torchwood was mentioned, but we never actually saw anyone from the group/facility. Could be like that in reverse- seeing it from Jack's POV.

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 10:11 AM
The doctor would realise that it's a pre Empty Child Jack, but would have no issues interacting with him as he knows it wont alter the future/past as Jack loses his memory. So they could meet and get to know each other all over again...

ShadowMaat
January 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Oh, I understand that. I just find it hard to believe that the Doctor wouldn't say, "Haven't we met?" or drop hints about knowing Jack or let slip something by accident, that's all. I should still go back and re-watched Empty Child, though. Just for better placement.

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Well the Tennant's Doctor COULD inform Jack that they've met, or Rather Jack WILL meet the Doctor... Bare in mind that The Empty Child is Tennant's past, but this Hypothetical Jack's future. So IN the empty child The Doctor hasnt met Jack before, but is yet to meet the past jack. Though Jack has met the future Doctor before.

ShadowMaat
January 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM
You make my head hurt! *cries* :P I'll just admit defeat and go back to ogling Jack. ;)

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Right. We musn't think in terms of linear time.

In Jack's past he would be on Earth (2006) and have met a man called the doctor who looks like David Tennant, hes never met the man before, but the DT Doctor says that in a few years Jack will meet him. Jack proceeds to lose his memory and then meets a Doctor who looks like Christopher Eccleston. Jack doesn't remember any thing about the Doctor, so this means nothing to him.

CE Doctor has not regenerated yet, and as such has not travelled to 2006 where he meets the past version of Jack, and as such has no past memory of Jack as he hasn't actually met him yet. The Empty Child IS the doctors first meeting with Jack, even though this Jack is a future version of the one in 2006.

iluuuuuvjack
January 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Right. I think I get it... just because the past is in the past doesn't mean it can't be someone's future.
So, DT would remember meeting Jack before he regenerated, Jack would not have met CE's Doctor yet, and would lose any memory of DT anyway, and in terms of "the present", Jack would still be on the Gamestation.

Apparently, (although I never saw it) in the Children in Need episode Rose says that they should go back to get Jack, and the Doctor tells her that he's "busy rebuilding the earth". Don't know if that fits in, or even means anything.

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Exactly o' lover of Jack.

Past in terms of years and decades is irrlevant.

DT Doctor still has all his memories and KNOWS that 2006 jack is a past version of the one he met in An Empty Child. But anything he does with Jack would be irrlevant as Jack loses his memory, allowing Jack to believe he's meeting the Doctor for the first time in The Empty Child.

iluuuuuvjack
January 30th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Right. Got it.

It's great when everything just becomes clear!

But it's also annoying knowing that if it turns out that Jack did get off the Gamestation by a ship or something then working out all of this will have been for nothing...

Flyboy
January 30th, 2006, 12:40 PM
And yet oh so fun.

ShadowMaat
January 30th, 2006, 01:10 PM
OK, that makes PERFECT sense, and now that I'm not all skittery and distracted at work I can actually process the details. Very very cool stuff.

Has there been any word on when it's gonna go into production? I know there was mention at some point of delays...

Metarock Sam
January 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Well here is info on production from Outpost Gallifrey.

Outpost Gallifrey has learned that filming of the first series of Torchwood, the Doctor Who spinoff series starring John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, has been delayed until the summer, likely June or July. The series was originally scheduled to go into production this month, but has been delayed several times. We're also told that James Hawes, scheduled to be a producer on the new series, has had to bow out due to the change of schedule. More details as we get them