X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

35th Anniversay of the Moon Landing

On July 20, 1969, Apollo 11 landed on the Moon with astronauts Neil
    Armstrong, Michael Collins and Ed Aldwin on board.

Being a senior citizen, I can remember watching TV during the Apollo
    11 mission, and then going outside with some binoculars to look at
    the moon the night of the landing.

Congratulations again to NASA, to the astronauts, and thank you for
    all their hard work and courage.

For more info on the 35th Anniversary:

Apollo 11 At 35: Celebrating The Past With A Vision For The Future
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/lunar-04x.html

Armstrong Walked On Moon 35 Years Ago Today
    http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/...02/detail.html

35 Years On, NASA Seeks Return to Moon
    http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?
    type=domesticNews&storyID=5721656&src=rss/domesticNews&section=news

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

That is if they were ever there... *creepy music*

Comment

That's crazy talk.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        That is if they were ever there... *creepy music*
        Hahahahahaha!!! I love that conspiracy theory! Not siding with anyone on this issue but I always get a chuckle whenever new "evidence" pops up regarding the 1969 moon landing...
        "I'm thinking of nice turkey sandwich..."

Comment

there is a good editorial about that on www.startrek.com that i copied to my LJ...so pls check it out!

Comment

ACTUALLY...Only Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon, Collins was on the spacecraft in orbit around the moon to later pick up Neil And Buzz.
            Pfft i'm only 13 and I know that....

^ Earth Rules.

"And I hope noone forgot to feed my Rash'nak"

-Daniel, "Icon" Season 8 SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by PYRO
              ACTUALLY...Only Armstrong and Aldrin landed on the moon, Collins was on the spacecraft in orbit around the moon to later pick up Neil And Buzz.
              Pfft i'm only 13 and I know that....

You're absolutely correct.

My original post was poorly worded.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

And technicly Apollo 11 dident land on the moon, the Eagle module did.

^ Earth Rules.

"And I hope noone forgot to feed my Rash'nak"

-Daniel, "Icon" Season 8 SG-1

Comment

I just want to congulate the Apollo 11 crew on the anniversay of the Moon Landing. I hope we make it back to the moon and BEYOND..............

Comment

Those were days that you had to experience to judge. you can't possibly make an assessment about the 60's if your only frame of reference is the 80's and 90's or even the 70's. They were a world apart from anything that came before or since. But only someone who was there will know what I mean. I was expecting my oldest daughter that July, my husband was in the Navy, and headed for you know where. He was home on leave, we watched it together.You children out there don't have a clue. Seriously.

Comment

Quite something that moon landing. I think it is gonna be quite a many year before we do any large scale space travel again. Our world has bigger priorities right now, those need to be worked out first before we can start thinking about exploring our solar system in manned missions...
                      Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
                      - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
                      - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
                      Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
                      Mayboune: *shrugs*
                      - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                        Our world has bigger priorities right now, those need to be worked out first before we can start thinking about exploring our solar system in manned missions...
                        I disagree about our world having bigger priorities right now...we had the very same bigger priorities 35 years ago, and chose to extend our reach.

The technological advances we've made BECAUSE of the space program over the last 50 years have been amazing.

We need to continue striving to accomplish bigger and greater things -- and that includes space travel.

Morjana

Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Roatbaum
                          Those were days that you had to experience to judge. you can't possibly make an assessment about the 60's if your only frame of reference is the 80's and 90's or even the 70's. They were a world apart from anything that came before or since. But only someone who was there will know what I mean. I was expecting my oldest daughter that July, my husband was in the Navy, and headed for you know where. He was home on leave, we watched it together.You children out there don't have a clue. Seriously.
                          I did see the moon landing on tv, I was in high school at the time. The time of the moon landing had one of the lowest crime rates that day.

Comment

I believe putting people on the moon AND bringing them hom safely was the greatest technological and cultural achievement in the 20th century... but that's just the engineer in me talking.... GO ENGINEERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
                              Our world has bigger priorities right now, those need to be worked out first before we can start thinking about exploring our solar system in manned missions...
                              Bigger priorities? Like what? My point is that we humans can always come up with something "better" and more pressing to do (stem cell research comes to mind...), but you don't climb a mountain because it's a priority.
                              We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.

- John F. Kennedy, Address at Rice University on the Space Effort, September 12, 1962.
                              That goal set America, not to mention our enemies, into a science and technology renaissance the likes of which we had never seen and, sadly, may never see again. Many a technological achievement came out of the moon landings (from joysticks to medical imaging), so no one can say it has been for naught. I am proud of our space program. I'm proud as a human, not just an American. I'm proud of what we accomplished and believe there is so much more to be done/learned/accomplished.
                              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                              once done, cannot be undone...
                              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                              X