X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith split reasons

Ok

I know that we have been told the Wraith are splitting becuase their territorial and hungry. They work in hives, but this doesnt seem quite, effective. Individual Hives working alone....or in small groups....so I was wondering if there may be other reasons:

Pantheon
    What if the Wraith infact, while are splitting because of hunger, but also because of religion. I'm not saying their being ruled by an actual being...but they believe in a pantheon of Gods. (Not an Ori or Snake riup off because those are actual entities saying their there, the Wraith Gods wouldnt be real) While I dont mean this as an actual plot twisting WOW, just something to think about.

Governmental factors/infiltration
    Right we know that the Wraith are territorial and work in Hives or Groups of Hives, now what I'm saying in this factor is that a group of Wraith are in fact manipulating the other Wraithings to fight so that they can prosper and get more. (Like what Shep did in The Hive).

I know this seems random but I was just wondering on other peoples imput. I cant see them fighting to a degree where they destroy each other just for food and mistrust....I think their may be other factors.

Thoughts please
    Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Although the Wraith work in "hives", as this is an entirely different galaxy, we can make NO assumptions about the hierarchy of their hives. They are probably NOT like our own concept of "hives". It makes sense that with a depleted food supply, it would be each hive for his own...... a weakness that should be exploited by SGA.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

The Wraith are part human and we don't exactly get along with each other very well. Their reasons for conflict do not need to make sense to anyone but the participants. There could be any number of reasons, but I definately don't see it as unreasonable that the race wouldn't work as one giant unit.

The current explanations of fighting over resources alone seems plausible... heh. 6 billion people is a lot of food though, this is something that would greatly change their standards of living. Sleeping for centuries wouldn't be necessary with that kind of herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlantis1
        Charon (sp?).
        Its Charin I think

I agree about the lack of food being the factor that has divided the Wraith but also remember that the Wraith are territorial creatures. Its my belief that they have taken many qualities from the Iratus bug so they think and act somewhat like these little bug predators. So being insects, the Iratus bug would also have a hive culture and usually hives dont tolerate a competing hive with them. So its possible that it was also very easy to cause a battle if this 'rule' was broken.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Well from what I gathered from 'Lost Boys', there have always been dissention in ranks. I don't think that they have always been working together and I don't think it's entirely related to food. It could become a food problem, because they have brains and can risk decreasing their own, because that would benefit ...

But if they have a telepathy network that wouldn't work, the independence. That would mean that their telepahty thing is actually something that is controlled. Which also means that even before the hunger problem....they have been fairly independent.

I think it's like living in any country, different people, different wraiths. And it seems to me after reading certain spoilers..that they each have a queen, which may be that they each have a wife. It's not what I had originally thought where there were a few women and far more men. I'm starting to think their on equal footing, but like most societies, men hunt/women stay home. It got me wondering how they reproduced actually more than their personalities with one another.

But this brought something else up for me. I was remembering 'The Gift' and it had me thinking of when Teyla saw a woman that looked like her but Wraith. And then I remembered 'The Gift' where Teyla's body was taken over by a Wraith. All this came to a head for me.....

It made me wonder really about her origins. I actually had a need to see her father or the man claimed to be her father. I had to wonder if she actually was the possible child of a Wraith Woman and a human man! And I say this with a little hesitation. But for her to see herself and then her body to be taken over by the Wraith....that would mean she would have to have some real link to one of the Wraith's. It was not as if she inhabited different bodies..it seemed to me that there was one significant person who she in the mind of....Or that could just be me over thinking the situation...

VB
          Last edited by vaberella; 27 January 2006, 05:12 AM.
          Click statement above to read article.

Comment

it wasn't that she was concieved by a wraith and a human, but somewhere down her lineage someone was, like maybe a great grandmother for example or somethin. thats why she isn't the only unique one that can sense their presence. the images that she was having of her mother was just her mind trying to cope with the fact that she had some wraith in her and thats how she was representing it.

furthermore, i think its like bees, each hive ship has its queen and a few support ships. there will always be a little dessention(sp?) in the ranks as there is in any heirarchy group, i think the the fighting between the wraith is based solely on food.

Comment

Originally posted by dmayor09
              it wasn't that she was concieved by a wraith and a human, but somewhere down her lineage someone was, like maybe a great grandmother for example or somethin. thats why she isn't the only unique one that can sense their presence. the images that she was having of her mother was just her mind trying to cope with the fact that she had some wraith in her and thats how she was representing it.

furthermore, i think its like bees, each hive ship has its queen and a few support ships. there will always be a little dessention(sp?) in the ranks as there is in any heirarchy group, i think the the fighting between the wraith is based solely on food.

I know what was said on the show, and I was stating my own interpretation. I clearly understand that Weir interpreted the findings as being in her lineage as Charin had confirmed as well. What I'm saying is what if there was a slight slip up? Didn't something seem odd to you on 'The Gift'? Her body was inhabited, but it doesn't look like it can be taken over by anyone or all of them..just by some.

Those images were not of her mother. There was nothing ever saying that. There was a woman over her that looked like her but was Wraith. I implied in my post that it was probably her mother (or a Wraith she has connection with in a hive) or whoever was the DNA donor in her lineage. Not only that, she didn't know she had the Wraith gene when she had that dream! So how could it be her mind trying to cope with the fact of her sharing DNA?!

Further more my statement on the Queens, is not like a bee hive. That was thown out the window when I saw spoiler mentions and the mention of several women--called Queens. A bee hive much like an ant nest, has one queen. The Wraith have many, and what I'm saying is that I suspect that there are quite a few female women.

Have you not wondered about how Wraith's reproduce at all to have so many? Somethign must be going on, but how. And with the inceptin of more than one woman, as can be said from past episodes and spoilers, I'm suspecting there's more to Teyla's lineage than meets the eye.

I agree with you there's always dissention, I mentioned that in my post. But not in hives of insects--there is never dissention in ranks---specifically bees and ants! They work like a machine!! Proving again my point that I suspect there's far more.

I realize their human, in some form, but they have more of that crazy bug gene than anything else, if you look at their personalities and such. Although, they think and are strategic. The bee hive idea has to be thrown out the window....their not all mindless. Remember 'Suspicion' they all knew to self-destruct instead of being captured because of what that can do. I think there's more out there that we're not seeing...and hence my estimation.

Try rereading my post.
              VB

Comment

Not necessarily as there is no dissension within a single hive, there are fighters between two different hives though. Also the Iratus bug seems like a mixture between a hive species like a bee and a spider both of which are completely different from one another. Spiders have the lone hunter approach usually and are territorial while the bee are communal living in harmony with one another.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Good point...we haven't yet gotten more information on those damn insects.....but then I guess we can relate them to our bugs.....

Where's Beckett's estimations on this? Have we heard anything? From what I saw of the bug episode...the one where John was turning....they seemed to live in relative harmony with one another...I related the dissention not to the bug aspect but to the human aspect. Humans are not known to live in harmony and as we well know seem to live in a perpetual state of war. Someone has to quote Hobbes on this show!

VB

Comment

I dont think the human aspect has that much influence over the Wraith and believe much of their instincts and behaviour derives from the Iratus bug then anything else. The human aspects are probably the humanoid form and emotions they feel as well as intelligence. Things like the territorial aspect, living in hive communities and such seem more like from insects.

Comment

I believe the wraith have fought in the past and
                      will fight again in the future. in fact I suspect
                      they have had some massive wars. being that they
                      are so territorial, etc. etc.

I do think I see lots of human behavior in the wraith.
                      all this fighting, terriorial nature, etc. reminds
                      me a lot of us humans. sorry.

and I agree that there are far more females than
                      we know about. i think they are intentially kept
                      out of site. that may be a bug carry-over. women
                      stay with the kids and men go out, get the food, fight.
                      etc. i noticed that the queen and the keeper both
                      seemed weaker by far than the men. just watch
                      how they physically act when trouble starts erupting.
                      they seem ill-equiped to deal with actual fighting.

wraith split only means more interesting stuff to
                      come. and i think it acutally starts to give them some
                      governance and character. it's high-time too!
                      WraithyPuff

Feel like slackin', read some fan fic.
                      "It's actually safe to create a universe in your basement."
                      Alan Guth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, On M Theory

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
                        I dont think the human aspect has that much influence over the Wraith and believe much of their instincts and behaviour derives from the Iratus bug then anything else. The human aspects are probably the humanoid form and emotions they feel as well as intelligence. Things like the territorial aspect, living in hive communities and such seem more like from insects.

I disagree with you strongly. Even in the early species of man, mankind has chosen to stay close to their own. From the neanderthal to the homosapien. So I believe your assumption is extremely misguided. I mean community, laws that govern, and even religion are made to protect social groups, create them, and or sustain them. So that is a very human thing...and as for territorial mankind is extremely territorial. There is always a need in human beings to protect and defend what is there's...that is not only denoted in animal species, even far less in earth species. We kill to protect what is ours....So I'm not putting that to insect instincts...

I think that's one of the things that we're not seeing. Your putting too much emphasis on the insect aspect and forgetting the human. When they are growing up they pretty much live as human beings. They eat and drink water like us. Obviously they procreate like we do as well, or possibly procreate like we do. The animal instinct came about during the time of puberty...and then the more aggressive personality was also developed.....this was seen in 'Instinct' . But throughout it all....even when she did feed on humans...she was upset about it..the girl wraith and she was taught right from wrong. So she knew....which means their a whole lot more human than we would like to believe.

What consumes them and pretty much makes them the way they are in my opinion is the insatiable hunger that has taken them over and it makes them far from irrational. But in 'Instinct', as I mentioned, we're taught their a lot more than that...The main thing she carried with her, keeping in mind she was pure Wraith, was her hunger, and also her super strength and abilities, as well as features... plus psychic abilities..but she was predominantly human!

And they can be reasoned with, if my interpretation of various spoilers are correct for Allies...which says a lot of who and what they are!

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella
                          'Instinct', as I mentioned, we're taught their a lot more than that...The main thing she carried with her, keeping in mind she was pure Wraith, was her hunger, and also her super strength and abilities, as well as features... plus psychic abilities..but she was predominantly human!
                          Awhile back, either Mallozzi or Gero posted in teasers for "Instinct" that we would learn that the Wraith have more human qualities in their youth, and lose their humanity as they age.

As for the hive situation. The Wraith are extremely hive oriented. From what we have seen there apparently is only ONE queen per hive (ship), same as a bee hive or ant colony would only have one queen. Plus, in nature, if a bee hive stakes out a home too close to another hive, they will wage war between themselves. Same with an ant colony. Within the hive itself, all the workers and drones are loyal only to THEIR queen. So the territorialism between the Wraith is very much like the personalities of insect colonies.

Comment

Working...
                          X