X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientific Space Time (Enigma)

Hi all, im having trouble understand what space time 'Omac' from Enigma
    (1:16) was talking about, (in red) here: ( http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/transcripts/116.shtml )

-- Outside Mountain Complex --

The starry sky is shown. Omac, and Danny walk thru a clearing.

OMOC: The co-ordinates.

Danny hands him a notebook. He looks at it, and takes some device off of his arm, and puts it on the ground. He activates it, and it hums, and a light shines up. Danny watches as the light shoots up, and disappears into the starry sky.

JACKSON: Listen, I'm no astronomer, but won't that take thousands of years to reach the Nox world?

OMOC: Why would it?

JACKSON: Well, that's just a laser, right? I mean... light takes a long time to travel that far.

OMOC: (Takes a twig in his hands) The distance between these two points seems far. Until you do this. (He bends the twig to where the ends meet)

JACKSON: OK... OK, I remember this from college physics. One of our scientists, Einstein, explained this the same way. You are talking about actually folding space.

OMOC: No. You wouldn't understand.

JACKSON: No, I guess not. I just hope the Nox do.

The shot goes to over their heads, they are looking up. Shot then goes to the sky.

How could he send the message that fast if he is not bending space time???

I need help with this one big time....any speculations would be great!
    Cheers
    sigpic
    *Voting for The Doctor and the Wild Man marriage in season 5 of Atlantis*

"On the other hand, you're an evil killing machine, so no, I'll pass...
    ...Why, why, why, why, in the wide world of all things rational and sane, would I help you?...
    ...Trying to leave? Sorry. A little more time in Danny's world!
    "

its sumthing about bending space like creating wormholes in another way then using the stargate....

Comment

I think it was meant to be funnier more than anything, simply stating that whatever concepts the 'laser' employed were far beyond what he would understand.
      "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by Morphiex
        its sumthing about bending space like creating wormholes in another way then using the stargate....
        Yes, and the power reguirements would not be so great either, so it could fit in that small device.

Comment

ftl

Comment

Originally posted by Morphiex
            Thats not right, because Omac said it 'was not' bending/folding space time...so if he isant folding bending space, what is he doin?
            sigpic
            *Voting for The Doctor and the Wild Man marriage in season 5 of Atlantis*

"On the other hand, you're an evil killing machine, so no, I'll pass...
            ...Why, why, why, why, in the wide world of all things rational and sane, would I help you?...
            ...Trying to leave? Sorry. A little more time in Danny's world!
            "

Comment

Maybe that's not what Omac meant. To me it seems more like Omac wasn't saying that that's not how it worked, he was just frustrated with Daniel's "primitive" choice of words. It's like if I tried to explain relativity to someone and they responded "oh so speedy stuff gets heavy" I might just give up on it explaining it.

Comment

It's like if I tried to explain relativity to someone and they responded "oh so speedy stuff gets heavy" I might just give up on it explaining it.

He picked up a stick from the ground and bent it. I think he was prepared for the 'kindergarten explanation' route .
                "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

ah the tollan, so arrogant. Sry but it's not like a wormhole, because a wormhole doesn't fold/bend space. I think it's more on the lines of a type of Sub space ftl communication device that Omac figures us privimitve humans wouldn't understand. Even though were not so prmitive now lol

Comment

Originally posted by adk06
                    ah the tollan, so arrogant. Sry but it's not like a wormhole, because a wormhole doesn't fold/bend space. I think it's more on the lines of a type of Sub space ftl communication device that Omac figures us privimitve humans wouldn't understand. Even though were not so prmitive now lol

fold and bend space is exactly what a wormhole does...

you have two point in space but the lenght between the two points is considerably loong , so then you fold space to bring the two points closer toghether and by doing so , u create a rip in space wich is the "hole" , and thus you have a tunnel from point a to point b .....

that is the basic idea of what a wormhole does....

Comment

I think it as has to do with bending space. It is different because he is sending information and not an actual solid object. That, and it was writen in to make them look that much more advanced.

When you look at Earth as a hole we are primative. If you judge Earth by who is running it, then we look advanced with a bunch of children.
                      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

another thing to remember is the tollans at that point were very against telling any less advanced people anything about their technology,

so while danial might have been basicly right and he was bending space omac prob didn't wanna tell him anything while they were still trapped on earth where they technology was kind of vulnerable to being stolen

Comment

I always figured that the signal didn't actually travel through 'normal' space anyways. I was thinking it probably tunneled through subspace. What is the fastest way to china? A trip over the surface of the Earth, or tunneling through it? Subspace is a bit similiar, as the universe is shaped like a balloon in essence. The 'surface' of the balloon/universe is what we think of as space, but the area 'beneath' or 'inside' the balloon would be like subspace/hyperspace. If you tunnel through the shorter route by going 'beneath' normal space, you can make the trip much faster.
                          The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                          Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                          http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                          My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                          Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

You do know that china isn't on the other side of the world right? Or well depends on where you are.

Comment

How about Like a radio signal travels faster than a physical object. Or a high speed internet connection that travels in packets of information. Then instead of just folding or bending space, it's like a slinky, where it stretches and collaspes in on itself, then like a bow and arrow where the tension is built up along the bow string and ZAP. Kind of like a combination effect if any of this is possible.. Just a wild thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X