PDA

View Full Version : Why Was Alliance Cancelled?

Daniel_Shanks
January 24th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Im sure that many people are unsure and unsettled on the reasons of why Stargate: The Alliance was cancelled.
Many fans are disapointed and shocked but does anyone actually have an "Offical" statement on why it was cancelled?
Cheers

Mousie
January 25th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Im sure that many people are unsure and unsettled on the reasons of why Stargate: The Alliance was cancelled.
Many fans are disapointed and shocked but does anyone actually have an "Offical" statement on why it was cancelled?
Cheers

One board I was reading said they were sure an official statement would be along in a few days.

Daniel_Shanks
January 25th, 2006, 01:14 AM
One board I was reading said they were sure an official statement would be along in a few days.

Thanks...if you or anyone gets this statement, could you please let me know?
Cheers

Mousie
January 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
I won't get the statement as I'm not that interested in the game, but I suggest you just follow the other massive Alliance thread on this page - the info will be there first i'm sure.

Atlanis
January 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM
What's happing with SG1: The Alliance
I herd it was cancelled though there has been no offical word
and if it is gone what will happen to all the meteral that they have
made, are they going to put it out on the net as a download, what?

jonno
January 26th, 2006, 10:16 AM
It's gone.

See the last few pages of this thread: http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15216&page=19
There is also a petition to save it:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?p=4850755#post4850755

the fifth man
January 26th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Yes, sadly, Stargate:The Alliance, has been layed to rest. I'm still in mourning.

the fifth man
January 26th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I too would like official word on it's demise. So I can officially mourn, and try to move on.

Deevil
January 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
My bet is that it possibly hasn't been cancelled cancelled, but it has been shelved until they can find a more reliable vendor/creater et al. With all the money and time invested I can't see them completely cancelling it, well at least I can't see it being perminatly cancelled.

Or maybe I just want to see the pretty people dance because I tell them to.

Jessima
January 26th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I am at loss at words. I have no idea why they would cancel it. I saw the trailer and the graphics were pretty awesome, so it looked like they must have worked their butts off making it. I wish it wasn't cancellled. Even tho I am not a video game fan, I would have had fun playing it, because it would be like living it, you can actually control the characters and have fun with it. It would be a whole new experience and different than just vedging out infront of the TV watching the show. I hope they bring it back, and I hope EVERYONE signs that petition (lol :p)

Atlanis
January 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
My bet is that it possibly hasn't been cancelled cancelled, but it has been shelved until they can find a more reliable vendor/creater et al. With all the money and time invested I can't see them completely cancelling it, well at least I can't see it being perminatly cancelled.

Or maybe I just want to see the pretty people dance because I tell them to.
I belive it hasn't been cancelled cause the lack of offical statement form eather MGM and or Perception and i have herd roomers that perception went bust cause of the lack of money it this ture?

Beal
January 26th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Wasn't it cancelled months ago because it "didn't live up to the expected quality" or some sort?

rac76
January 26th, 2006, 05:46 PM
This stinks. My son was looking forward to buying it for me for Mother's Day. I thought that's cute! oh well, I have to tell him to get me something else.

Then again, the company could change their minds.

edit: I just sign the petition, hopefully it will work.

AnotherEvilAlien
January 26th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Cheers

Unfortunately, one can only speculate at this moment. AFAIK, MGM hasn't released an official statement. Neither has Perception.

The game, however, has been cancelled - that much is confirmed. Whether MGM wanted to drop Percention, let the game die, or what... we don't know yet.

All I "know" is what was in the original news feed where someone claimed MGM just sat on their hands and did nothing when Perception needed a new publisher (MGM had to give the go-ahead to any potential publisher, and a game developer needs a publisher or it will run out of cash). So Perception was supposedly left with no choice other than to give up on MGM since they did nothing for months.

Now, this is unconfirmed. The only piece of confirmed news we have is that Stargate SG-1: The Alliance is no more... and that's the sad part.

Wasn't it cancelled months ago because it "didn't live up to the expected quality" or some sort?

No, their publisher only withdrew.

Originally, SG SG-1:TA was being developed by Perception and being published (under the supervision of MGM, apparently) by JoWood. JoWood, after some time, claimed that the game was sub-par and was not fitting to the fans of the series. JoWood withdrew as publisher, HOWEVER, game development continued after that - until now.

TechnoWraith
January 26th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Cheers

The essential reason is legal squabbling over who actually had the rights to the game. In any case, it's just a plain slap in the face to the fans. And the game has lost a lot of support because of the issues at hand.

Nathan
January 28th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Perception will release a statement in about a week's time

LtColCarter
January 29th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Where did you find out that its been axed? This is the first I've heard of it. I knew of the legal issue and such, but this is the first that I've heard that its been nixed!:(

TrustNo1
January 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Petitions won't save it. Petitions don't work. I'm sure if you refuse to give your support to anything Stargate and they go bankrupt that will get your message across but we don't want that do we? If it dies it dies, make an open sourced Stargate game. Power to the people ;)

Gateman89
January 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
The *******s at MGM were supposed to choose a publisher for the game since
Jowood left, but they just sat on their hands and did nothing. All the while this is costing Perception money. So, with the threat of bankrupcy, Perception had to shelf the game. Basically, MGM just sat back and let the game die. It's a shame, the game was about month or two from being completed.

the fifth man
January 30th, 2006, 07:03 PM
Petitions won't save it. Petitions don't work.

That's not always true. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But there's no harm in trying, is there?:)

Gateman89
January 31st, 2006, 04:43 PM
That's not always true. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But there's no harm in trying, is there?:)
Exactly

HirogenGater
January 31st, 2006, 05:09 PM
Petitions won't save it. Petitions don't work.

They can, just look at Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker unedited version.

the fifth man
January 31st, 2006, 06:32 PM
All we can do now is hope for the best.

White Knight
January 31st, 2006, 08:57 PM
The Alliance was cancelled because MGM gave their support and the liscence to another company who are producing a Stargate MMO-RPG.

TechnoWraith
January 31st, 2006, 09:23 PM
Exactly

Petitions are one way for the fans to voice their opinions. If enough fans sign the petition, something's gonna give, and sometimes in favor of the fans. It's an eye-opener to receive a petition filled with signatures.

Gadmier05
February 2nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I just found out the other day that stargate the allaince was cancelled so close to the release date becuase MGM was unwilling to give percertion a license. This has really PI##ED me off and i was wondering?

Why Mgm would want to __Expletive deleted___ over the fans?

Am I the only enraged fan over this incident?

Deevil
February 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
It may not be MGM's fault. In all honesty no one seems to know what is happening here - there is no offical word of cancallation either.

tauriprivatesoldier
February 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM
They probably cancel it coz they did their accounting calculations for the profits for the next 5 years and found that the profits didn't exceed the expenses

HirogenGater
February 4th, 2006, 08:40 AM
It may not be MGM's fault. In all honesty no one seems to know what is happening here - there is no offical word of cancallation either.

That's what is weird about this. No one seemed to know what's going on.

mundu
February 4th, 2006, 08:57 PM
I rekon it was a good move. Another FPS based on Stargate would be cool but would suck as a game and have little Longetivity. A MMORPG on the other hand would be perfect! Imagaine the capabitiltys! Going to other planets regulary through the stargate having all the different races we've seen through the years and who knows maybe even the Furlings! There could be replicator hunts and best of all you'd be doing this with other Stargate fans!

One downside though, more waiting and we're probably talking years. :(

Gateman89
February 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
^What do you mean "another" Stargate FPS?

The biggest downside is that people need a high-speed connection to play
the MMORPG. Something I don't have!

the fifth man
February 4th, 2006, 10:59 PM
^What do you mean "another" Stargate FPS?

The biggest downside is that people need a high-speed connection to play
the MMORPG. Something I don't have!

While I do have a high-speed connection and could play the MMORPG, personally, I'd rather have the FPS for my console. That's just me, though.:)

Count
February 5th, 2006, 02:35 AM
From what i've read, based on the info of one of the game developers, it's a damned good thing the game was canned:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27727&highlight=stargate+game

That was a post made by one of the game devs on Scifi-meshes after the announcement was made, it generally sheds light on why the game was cancelled.

mundu
February 5th, 2006, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=Gateman89]^What do you mean "another" Stargate FPS?

Meant to say another FPS. :tealc:

Gadmier05
February 5th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Stargate worlds had better be on the next gen consoles....and support a lan function so a internet connection isn't a "must have" to play(eg. battlefield modern combat cannot be played across a LAN.

Exiled Master
February 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I suspect that someone at MGM is an apprentice to someone at Viacom, who is being taught the dark arts of fanbase torture. (Viacom owning Star Trek, one of the most abused licenses ever)

White Knight
February 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM
They probably cancel it coz they did their accounting calculations for the profits for the next 5 years and found that the profits didn't exceed the expenses
No. They had to stop working on it because they hadn't been getting paid to make it and store it for half a year becuase MGM wasn't giving Perceptions the liscence. They couldn't keep working 'cause they needed the money to keep going.

Count
February 5th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Perception has gone into liquidation, that's why they've lost their license. I dont know why you people didn't read the info on that link i provided, the guy and all his colleagues got laid off cause Perception is circling the drain. MGM is just transferring the license to a new company that's financially stable.

AlphaBlu
February 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
It was cancelled because it was a poor quality game and would destroy any future chance of a Stargate being made. I'm glad that MGM's new owners Sony saw fit to end it before it was too late.

BYE

SoylentGreen
February 7th, 2006, 11:51 AM
i don't know if there was a demo of the game for people to play or for previews but it's rare that games based on tv shows or movies are any good.

i was afraid it was going to be a crappy game because of that long list of underpar tie-in games based on famous franchises.

i'd rather have no game than a bad game. i'm not sure about the MMORPG, the idea is interesting but it's all about the execution and i think the game has to be really good. the MMORPG market it's kind of saturated and even if we all love Stargate stuff if it isn't fun it's just a waste.

HirogenGater
February 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM
i don't know if there was a demo of the game for people to play or for previews but it's rare that games based on tv shows or movies are any good.

i was afraid it was going to be a crappy game because of that long list of underpar tie-in games based on famous franchises.

i'd rather have no game than a bad game. i'm not sure about the MMORPG, the idea is interesting but it's all about the execution and i think the game has to be really good. the MMORPG market it's kind of saturated and even if we all love Stargate stuff if it isn't fun it's just a waste.

Really? I thought the following were great games;

Star Trek Armada
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Star Trek Bridge Commander

But that's just me.

HirogenGater
February 7th, 2006, 01:39 PM
I rekon it was a good move. Another FPS based on Stargate would be cool but would suck as a game and have little Longetivity. A MMORPG on the other hand would be perfect! Imagaine the capabitiltys! Going to other planets regulary through the stargate having all the different races we've seen through the years and who knows maybe even the Furlings! There could be replicator hunts and best of all you'd be doing this with other Stargate fans!

One downside though, more waiting and we're probably talking years. :(

I agree, you can do alot with a MMORPG. I personally don't feel like I should have to pay for a game then pay to play it. I would much rather have a game for a XBOX.

SoylentGreen
February 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Really? I thought the following were great games;

Star Trek Armada
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
Star Trek Bridge Commander

But that's just me.

i've never played/read reviews of those games or seen star trek to appreciat those titles.

my point simply was that most tie-in games are usually bad or just average. those are three games out of hundrends of tie-in games. i can list you good and bad tie-in games and you will understand why a lot of people fear them (because of the ratio good:bad)

i don't know if you are just a regular gamer or have a lot of video gaming knowlege to compare fun games to just meh.

do you want your Stargate game to be bad or just average?

midnitespider
February 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
im so confused..... so the game is finaly dead?

HirogenGater
February 7th, 2006, 05:04 PM
i've never played/read reviews of those games or seen star trek to appreciat those titles.

my point simply was that most tie-in games are usually bad or just average. those are three games out of hundrends of tie-in games. i can list you good and bad tie-in games and you will understand why a lot of people fear them (because of the ratio good:bad)

i don't know if you are just a regular gamer or have a lot of video gaming knowlege to compare fun games to just meh.

No, I'm not a hardcore gamer.

do you want your Stargate game to be bad or just average?

Ahh... average please. ;)

Seriously, I did not get a chance to play any type of demo of Alliance, my judgement is based on what I saw on the games site. I realize the trailer is always spruced up, but, it looked fine to me. What was the problem with Alliance?

Nathan
February 7th, 2006, 07:20 PM
No, I'm not a hardcore gamer.

Ahh... average please. ;)

Seriously, I did not get a chance to play any type of demo of Alliance, my judgement is based on what I saw on the games site. I realize the trailer is always spruced up, but, it looked fine to me. What was the problem with Alliance?
I got to play it. It was great

Redneck
February 8th, 2006, 06:25 AM
From what i've read, based on the info of one of the game developers, it's a damned good thing the game was canned:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27727&highlight=stargate+game

That was a post made by one of the game devs on Scifi-meshes after the announcement was made, it generally sheds light on why the game was cancelled.

Wow that link opened my eyes. NOT This guy sounded a tad bitter, that was in between introducing us to his site. I'm sorry but ALLLL these people who keep going on about that ALLIANCE was crap i couldn't give a stuff about what they THINK about the game cause they've read it somewhere until I - ME have tryed it who the hell are they to tell me it's crap, surely that would have been my choice huh?

Redneck
February 8th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Oh yeah also don't you all find it a bit ironic that if it wasn't for the show STARGATE (SG-1) this forum wouldn't exist to talk about a film made quite a few years ago now, yet when they plan to release a game it doesn't contain exactly what they've sold us for the past nine years, ie SG-1

Gator101
February 10th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Guys....

http://www.stargate-allaince.com

Looks cool HUH???

Well.....

It got cancelled AGAIN!!! :jack_new_anime25:

I found a petition that will go to MGM

http://new.petitiononline.com/SGTA/petition.html

For the love of all Gamers...PLEASE SIGN IT!!!!

PRETTY PLEASE

GATOR101

The Signal
February 10th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Not another Fraking SG Allience thread!

Redneck
February 11th, 2006, 05:58 AM
Not another Fraking SG Allience thread!

Nope your right it's not a SG ALLIENCE thread it's ALLIANCE now go back to school

Spartan56
December 21st, 2006, 04:28 PM
I keep seeing pre-orders for online at Target and they say it's coming out Dec. 30 2006 but I can't get any info about it. What's going on?:confused:

ussrelativity
December 21st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Good question. I don't really know any additional information regarding it.

the fifth man
December 24th, 2006, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty darn sure, at this point, it's dead. We would have had news about it by now. All we hear about these days is Stargate Worlds.

un anwe dei Ancients
December 25th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Hi I found this link which says it still ongoing:jack:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=37411&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Starxgate
December 25th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Hi I found this link which says it still ongoing:jack:

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=37411&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Its the end of December & there was never any announcement. I think its safe to say its dead

jannagalaxy
December 25th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Pitty. :(

Calhoun
December 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Pitty. :(

Agreed. However, if there's been a change in management, I would rather "Alliance" was cancelled rather than have a sub-standard game be released (and thus ruin the prospect of future Stargate games).

HirogenGater
December 27th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I so wish this game was still coming out, it looked great. But, it's strange we haven't heard anything by now if it is coming out.

kirmit
December 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
stargate-project.de has posted some news about the game, my german isn't too good but I think it says a source at mgm has announced that game is officially dead.

nothing croovus
December 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM
It now seems with only a day left to wait, all retailers have pulled all their online orders for the game. It seems the end has finally come, and with it all our hopes once and for all.:danielanime08: :sheppardanime32: :comeon:

*plays bugle while coffin is laid into grave*

RatPirate
January 18th, 2007, 03:14 PM
"STARGATE SG-1: THE ALLIANCE" I want to know why they cancel for reason? I was excite plan buy and want play. Becuase I had X-Box. I hate playing on PC.
Someone want playing this the game? I hear other one game for PC. Oh man I dont like playing on PC.:mckay:

jenks
January 18th, 2007, 03:16 PM
I don't think it was up to scratch, so they scrapped it.

System Lord Baal
January 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
People that played it at E3 said it was poor. It was basically a bog standard RPG with a Stargate theme to it. The game was about half done, it was rubbish, and there was a legal dispute between the publishers and the game publishers over several million dollars of funding.

In those circumstances, its best to cut your losses without spending more and more money getting it finished, only for no-one to buy it at the end because its rubbish.

Btw, the company that were making the game have also gone bust now.

It was a very very very badly handled project on the whole. Stargate Worlds looks MUCH MUCH better :)

Adria
January 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM
It was a very very very badly handled project on the whole. Stargate Worlds looks MUCH MUCH better :)

yes cause mgm is backing it :)

-PITBULL-
January 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
To me i think it was best for them to take the loss when they did ... Still think MGM needs to find someone out there that could create this game for them .... Someone that knows how to create good games , and nows how to do it with keeping the fun of the storylines in it ...

But you also have to look at the timing that the game was being devoloped ... It was going to be a XBOX and PS2 game at a time that the XBOX360 and PS3 was being talked about ... Right there people wherent looking at the game the way they should have ...

Second if you look at the Program that the team was working with , at that time the program was outdated ... They where using Unreal Engine 2.5 when Unreal Engine 3.0 was just being released ... So graphics and game play would have been much of last gen game style ... Not really good for a game that was half finished ...

Being that that would have been one of the First STARGATE Games to hit Consoels ( not a Movie based game ) ... It was much better that the game wasnt made at that time ...

Now that PS3 and 360 are out , MGM needs to take STARGATE Alliance and bring it out for these systems .. Find a new devoloping team or company that has a good name to back up there products , and let them take a chance at this type of game ..

Kelt'ar
January 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
People that played it at E3 said it was poor. It was basically a bog standard RPG with a Stargate theme to it. The game was about half done, it was rubbish, and there was a legal dispute between the publishers and the game publishers over several million dollars of funding.
:)

Surprising. The previews were cool as hell

HirogenGater
January 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Surprising. The previews were cool as hell

I agree, plus I wonder who much they paid the actors for their voicework.

Mana
January 20th, 2007, 04:32 PM
To me i think it was best for them to take the loss when they did ... Still think MGM needs to find someone out there that could create this game for them .... Someone that knows how to create good games , and nows how to do it with keeping the fun of the storylines in it ...

But you also have to look at the timing that the game was being devoloped ... It was going to be a XBOX and PS2 game at a time that the XBOX360 and PS3 was being talked about ... Right there people wherent looking at the game the way they should have ...

Second if you look at the Program that the team was working with , at that time the program was outdated ... They where using Unreal Engine 2.5 when Unreal Engine 3.0 was just being released ... So graphics and game play would have been much of last gen game style ... Not really good for a game that was half finished ...

Being that that would have been one of the First STARGATE Games to hit Consoels ( not a Movie based game ) ... It was much better that the game wasnt made at that time ...

Now that PS3 and 360 are out , MGM needs to take STARGATE Alliance and bring it out for these systems .. Find a new devoloping team or company that has a good name to back up there products , and let them take a chance at this type of game ..

Even though Stargate: Alliance was cancelled, I really think that Stargate Worlds will truly succeed in keeping the Stargate Fans "purring" for years to come. Expansion Packs. New Releases. Extra Software to create your own Stargate Adventure. Just think about it. It'll be like the "WOW" of Sci-Fi world. lol. And I'm sure that's what they're aiming for.

Also, while I can't speak for MGM or Cheyenne Mountain or anything, don't you think it's safe to assume that after the release of Stargate Worlds for PC, They'll probably wait and see on game sales. If it does well, I dont see why they wouldnt implement versions for Xbox360 or even Playstation 2 or 3. All of which are online compatible.

Although, in the midst of my excitement of Stargate Worlds, I do wonder what Stargate: Alliance would have been like. I'm curious to know just how "good" or "bad" it would have been.

Erikgb
October 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
II just wanna know why STARGATE SG-1: THE ALLIANCE was cancelled.
And if it ever comes out.

jenks
October 20th, 2008, 03:38 PM
II just wanna know why STARGATE SG-1: THE ALLIANCE was cancelled.
And if it ever comes out.

It was cancelled because it wasn't up to standard, it was crap, basically. The chances of it coming out now are slim to none.