PDA

View Full Version : Why Do You Think Joe Mallozzi Cancelled His Blog?

star47
January 24th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Hi:

I just read on Joe Mallozzi's blog that he was closing it and would not be blogging anymore. Also, will probably not be returning to the Q & A Threads. And also will not be doing anymore "In the Making Of". I'm really disappointed as I enjoyed reading them, ie: humor, behind the scenes , what's going on in his life, etc., even his ice cream recipes. Yummm!

I wonder if it was how malicious and unpleasant the comments had gotten lately. The comments section on his blog had become a sad commentary on human nature and the nature of fans and the attitude of what each wanted as the only thing that mattered and "damn everyone to hell" that didn't share that viewpoint.

What do you think?

Seshat
January 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Hi:

I just read on Joe Mallozzi's blog that he was closing it and would not be blogging anymore. Also, will probably not be returning to the Q & A Threads. And also will not be doing anymore "In the Making Of". I'm really disappointed as I enjoyed reading them, ie: humor, behind the scenes , what's going on in his life, etc., even his ice cream recipes. Yummm!

I wonder if it was how malicious and unpleasant the comments had gotten lately. The comments section on his blog had become a sad commentary on human nature and the nature of fans and the attitude of what each wanted as the only thing that mattered and "damn everyone to hell" that didn't share that viewpoint.

What do you think? All I know is that I stopped reading the comments in his blog a long time ago. Maybe he did, too, or perhaps he just had too much on his plate these days GW blog as well. I'm sure he's a very busy man! :)

ShadowMaat
January 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I guess someone finally crossed the line. Huh. Gotta say, I'm surprised it took him this long. He held out for a good long while and kudos to him for that.

I'll be curious to see the fallout from this.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 24th, 2006, 07:30 PM
I really hope someone replaces him, someone as important as him. But I doubt it.

ShadowMaat
January 24th, 2006, 07:33 PM
All I know is that I stopped reading the comments in his blog a long time ago. Maybe he did, too, or perhaps he just had too much on his plate these days GW blog as well. I'm sure he's a very busy man! :)
If it was just the blog, that'd be one thing, but it sounds like he's severing all ties with Gateworld. Or at least the fandom side of GW.

Is he pulling out of other sites as well?

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM
If it was just the blog, that'd be one thing, but it sounds like he's severing all ties with Gateworld. Or at least the fandom side of GW.
I honestly think he's been promoted to a bigger and more important position, co-showrunner maybe. Who knows, it's possible.

binkpmmc
January 24th, 2006, 07:45 PM
It is interesting that he is leaving after 7 years of visiting the forums in different capacities. My guess is that someone behind the scenes may be starting to reign things in - trying to stem the tide of rhetoric, ugly insults about actors, PTB and writers, etc, talking about how bad the show is now, people were reacting very strongly and a lot of times very negatively to almost everything JM said.

In a way I am kind of hopeful that maybe it is the new owners (those that bought the show from Sony) telling everyone behind the scenes to pull back to control spoilers and everything else that is being said (and a small hope that maybe they really let things get back to the "real root" of what Stargate was all about). I kind of thought this about someone trying to reign things in when I saw the transcript of the recent AT chat. She is ususally more forthcoming with tidbits about the show but she did not say anything at all about S10 or even S9 so my suspicion then was that she had been told not to say anything and no questions about it were really asked so they may have been told before hand not to ask those types of questions. It will be interesting if we see the same kind of thing from the actors at Cons and in articles and interviews.

Dani347
January 24th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Well, crap. The comments on the blog (sane people excluded) ranged from stupid to vicious, but I enjoyed Joe's entries. And, I loved the answers in the thread. Shoot. Now I'll never know which character he identifies with the most.

pull back to control spoilers

Ack! Ack! If this is true what will I do without my spoiler fix? I live for the spoilers.

Seshat
January 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
She is ususally more forthcoming with tidbits about the show but she did not say anything at all about S10 or even S9 so my suspicion then was that she had been told not to say anything and no questions about it were really asked so they may have been told before hand not to ask those types of questions. It will be interesting if we see the same kind of thing from the actors at Cons and in articles and interviews. Should make for a very interesting time in Vancouver this March. ;) I think that's a pretty good guess (about those involved possibly being told to pull back on the spoilers), binkpmmc.

Agent_Dark
January 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I doubt it has anything to do with the idiots posting in the comments. Disabling the comment section would have solved that.

It's possible that he is stopping it because he simply doesn't have time anymore... ;)

LORD MONK
January 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I understand the hole not doing the blog and being busy and stuff, but then their is the hole pulling out of everything. Like someone else already asked, is he doing this with all the sites?

I realy don't care, just as long as he's still going to be with the show.

ShardsofGlass
January 24th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Personally, I'm really glad Joe's pulling back. It was fun to read his blog and I enjoyed his humor, but his comments just seemed to be the spark to set off Lord of the Flies type of nastiness over on the comments area of his blog. I found it apalling how bad it would get over there toward the actors as well as other fans.

And personally, I think too many spoilers get out for SG-1 as it is, so if that's part of it, I'm glad about that too. But of course, I'm just speculating.

It is curious that he didn't give any reason for stopping. Not that he owes us one, but it is curious.

ToasterOnFire
January 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Spoilers schmoilers. All I wanted was an ICE CREAM RECIPE! You know, add x cups of cream, mix in x cups of sugar, throw in x cups of [insert delectable yummy here], freeze and eat. Damn, the man is more tight lipped about what goes into his ice cream concoctions than any spoilers on SG1 or Atlantis. So unfair! :mckay:

Who knows why Joe decided to throw in the towel. Maybe it was the nasty fan comments, maybe he's got too much to do, maybe he decided that this avenue of fan interaction wasn't working for him. I'm sad to see him go. :(

Uber
January 24th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Ice cream recipes.

He never did get around to posting one or two of those dangit.

As for the whys? Could be just no time, could be reigning in spoilers, could be a combination thereof, could be another yet unthought of reason...Who knows?

All I know is I'll miss his snarky sense o' humor and the tidbits he'd share.

You'll be missed Joe.

:(

majorsal
January 24th, 2006, 08:42 PM
as i said in his blog, it makes me very sad to see him go. :(

i wish he'd just turn off his blog comments (if that's the reason he wants to stop). but i want him to continue the blogs and the making ofs.

sally :sam34:

GatetheWay
January 24th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I hope it wasn't because of how nasty the bog comments have gotten. I'd prefer the explination of reigning in spoilers a lot more. It does seem a little odd that he not only closed his blog but everything else at Gateworld so suddenly.

I'm really going to miss Joe's tidbits for spoilers and behind the scenes. I don't know how next season's going to be without them. :(

tara3583
January 24th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I,ve just read his last blog and the first thing i thought of was "wow some one really must have P****D" him off because it was straight to the point, cliped and he really came across as fed up with all that is "Stargate" at this moment in time.
Sad to see him no longer on these boards:(

melpomene
January 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Man bummer. I loved reading his comments about the show, and other shows and movies. And the ice cream. Whenever I needed a sugar-by-proxy fix I could just read his blog without feeling pathetic *sigh* Well whatever his reason for closing up shop I hope it's something good or something trivial and nothing bad's happened.

Willow'sCat
January 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM
I guess someone finally crossed the line. Huh. Gotta say, I'm surprised it took him this long. He held out for a good long while and kudos to him for that.Totally agree on both the "took him this long" and the "kudos to him". ;)

I enjoyed his actual blog but the comments were by and large filled with venom and funnily enough most peeps who posted the venom never left a name. :mckay: If you are going to be hostile at least have the guts to be honest about who you are, I think many are on GW as we speak; but they will never own up.

AGateFan
January 25th, 2006, 01:21 AM
It is interesting that he is leaving after 7 years of visiting the forums in different capacities. My guess is that someone behind the scenes may be starting to reign things in - trying to stem the tide of rhetoric, ugly insults about actors, PTB and writers, etc, talking about how bad the show is now, people were reacting very strongly and a lot of times very negatively to almost everything JM said.

In a way I am kind of hopeful that maybe it is the new owners (those that bought the show from Sony) telling everyone behind the scenes to pull back to control spoilers and everything else that is being said (and a small hope that maybe they really let things get back to the "real root" of what Stargate was all about). I kind of thought this about someone trying to reign things in when I saw the transcript of the recent AT chat. She is ususally more forthcoming with tidbits about the show but she did not say anything at all about S10 or even S9 so my suspicion then was that she had been told not to say anything and no questions about it were really asked so they may have been told before hand not to ask those types of questions. It will be interesting if we see the same kind of thing from the actors at Cons and in articles and interviews.
Just curious. What new owners? I think I missed something.

Also, maybe he is leaving the show, I mean he has worked there 10 years and lots of others have come and gone and he did say he had other projects he would like to work on.

On the other hand maybe he is being told to cut out the spoilers.
Or maybe he is just sick of talking to fans. It will be interesting to see if he still visits GW or if he closes his account altogether and to see if he continues blogging or answering questions on other boards.

Or maybe Scifi is actually going to put some effort in fixing thier board so that it is actually usefull and entertaining and they want all of the "exclusives" for themselves?

I know nothing, just throwing ideas out there, no one likes to be snubbed. Even if it is only perceived, non-existant, snubbing.

Willow'sCat
January 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM
Just curious. What new owners? I think I missed something.Your not the only one. :cool: Sony merged with MGM and SG-1 left what was it? Showtime? But SciFi, two years or so on is hardly new owners.

Nem2k
January 25th, 2006, 03:09 AM
hm i dunno if it has anything to do with time, this feels like something bigger :S

i would say its to do with the comments section but hes not just stopping his blog, but it seems hes cutting all ties to GW and fandom altogether :S

Deevil
January 25th, 2006, 03:56 AM
Well, I can't say I blame him ending his blog, or hell cancelling ties with GW. He didn't come here to field comments; rude comments on the people that he works with - his friends. He came here to give a little insight, maybe get a little feedback.

He doesn't need to put up with the crap that some people gave him, and frankly he deserves more then giving up his free time to read people *****ing all. the. bloody. time. And I am not talking constructive critisim, since most of the time that didn't happen. I am talking about *****ing.

caty
January 25th, 2006, 04:22 AM
IMO, the he-has-no-time-issue is out of the picture, because he would have just said that. And given some warning anyway..

I kinda think it is really someone telling him to keep the information on the shows low. Or maybe TPTB decided that for themselves.
Otherwise, there's no reason to be secretive about why he cuts ties...

KillerMercury
January 25th, 2006, 04:32 AM
:sheppardanime32: :weiranime22:

*sniff* HE'S GONE!

No more ice cream recipes! No more anime discussions! No more "In The Making"! No more "Ask Joe..."! No more "We're going to do this in an upcoming episode or "The cast and crew hung out today to do this thing..."!

I really wish it wasn't because of someone who said something inappropriate. It's so frustrating to think that we're losing one of the great things Gateworld has offered us over immature people.

Oh well...*sniff* No matter how much I whine the rest of the day/week/year, all I really need to say is:

I'll miss you, Joe! Good luck to you in the future!

LaCroix
January 25th, 2006, 04:36 AM
I think it's because of the spoilers. In my opinion Sony, not Sci-Fi has told him to stop since they hold his contract.

I've also checked over at Solutions. On their homepage there is an announcement about this. So, at least in my opinion, he's cut all ties with online fandom.

I hate to see Joe go, but I do understand.

jonno
January 25th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Basically, I think there's two options:

1) He's just got sick and tired of the **** the trolls have been throwing his way.
2) His bosses have asked him to stop.

I think 1) is less likely because he's cutting all ties with GW, and his thread wasn't particularly bad for insulting posters.

Still, either way, the trolls will claim victory - that they managed to drive him away.

This really sucks.

Skydiver
January 25th, 2006, 05:12 AM
it's also very possible that scifi doesn't want him out playing on fan sites, they want him for THEIR site. i mean, how many people depend on the scifi site for the cool stuff?

to the best of my knowledge, not very many. the official site is ponderously bogged down with all that flash crap and is full or errors and, imho, crappy work.

it does have some good info, but a lot of that info is put up by folks to which it's just a job. they have no real care or passion for what they do, and it shows in the sloppiness in some of thier stuff, whereas fan stuff is done out of love, no money, and that level of caring shows as well

that's my opinion, that he's been told to pull back, possibly in preparation to him doing something on the official site and blogs like the bsg folks do.

i don't know any more than any of you do, and my idea may be totally wrong and it may simply be a time issue on his behalf...but that's my .02 (and worth about as much :) )

Seshat
January 25th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Here's what I think:

1) Isn't Jan/Feb "big meeting" time at the studio? He, and probably all the others, have been asked to stop (for now).
and...
2) Aren't they gearing up big time for S10 production right now? The man probably has no time to be updating in several places. After all, there are only so many ice cream recipes in the world...:rolleyes:

I noticed that "signing off" does not include not being here at all. He was lurking again even last night. So he does care about us after all. *sniff* ;)

ShadowMaat
January 25th, 2006, 05:29 AM
Last night's lurking notwithstanding, he said he wouldn't be back any time soon.

I dunno... the more I think about it, the more I think that his reasons are far more personal than issues with fandom. Heck, he survived the Daniel Wars. I highly doubt anything anyone says NOW can possibly be worse. Or at least, I doubt it'd be bad enough to make him leave.

I also think the spoiler containment issue is a little moot. Talk about locking the barn door after the horses have gone... ;) I suppose it's possible, but I think he would have made a point of mentioning it if it were true.

FoolishPleasure
January 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM
There are "rumors" that Joe is being cut off by those higher up the food chain. Time will tell.

I will also miss the ice cream stories - we never got any recipes either. ;)

I'm also sure Joe will continue to "lurk" around here. Many times he has said the writers enjoy going to the episode threads to see what fans think of their shows.

Seshat
January 25th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Last night's lurking notwithstanding, he said he wouldn't be back any time soon.

I dunno... the more I think about it, the more I think that his reasons are far more personal than issues with fandom. Heck, he survived the Daniel Wars. I highly doubt anything anyone says NOW can possibly be worse. Or at least, I doubt it'd be bad enough to make him leave.

I also think the spoiler containment issue is a little moot. Talk about locking the barn door after the horses have gone... ;) I suppose it's possible, but I think he would have made a point of mentioning it if it were true.
Joe LOVES being vague, so no explanation seems perfectly in character for him to me. ;)

*goes to swap sig again in honor of Joe's delightful vagueness* :p:p:p

I HIGHLY doubt that anything said here or in his blog influenced him in any way at all. I see it as a bigger issue that we are simply not privy to.

sueKay
January 25th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I think it's probably a combination of near enough every explanation on this thread...I don't think it's any one issue that's caused this.

I always read his blog, but I never really read the comments. But yesterday I looked through the comments for peoples opinions on RE, and I was disgusted at a lot of comments there.

prion
January 25th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I think it's probably a combination of near enough every explanation on this thread...I don't think it's any one issue that's caused this.

I always read his blog, but I never really read the comments. But yesterday I looked through the comments for peoples opinions on RE, and I was disgusted at a lot of comments there.

I think it's been a long time coming. I don't see the comments in the blog as being the final nail in the coffin, but JM should be writing and producing a show, not playing on the net. This site (and others), after all, is about fandom, FANdom. It's about the fans. While it's always nice when somebody from the show drops by, other fandoms have shown that by and large, whenever a TPTB interacts on an open level with fans, it eventually all goes to hell. Tempers flare, hatred arises, sycophants bow, etc.

The blog comments (of the virulent variety) I'm willing to bet were done by the same or so fans with personal agendas they wanted addressed: HAD to have Sam/Jack back together, HAD to have Vala killed off, HAD to have Daniel have more screen time, HAD to whatever. And the 'anonymous' response key made it easier, although realistically, Joe gave back to those people in kind in some posts.

Basically, SG1 and SGA are now no longer Scifi's favored children: it's BSG. It's easy to spot as the critics call SGs a "snoozer" and the critics live to lay praise on BSG (I've tried it, don't like it). The writers/producers on SG need to get off their butts and make the shows bring back their to bringing in audience. Yes, there have been some rating slides but nothing horrendous yet (I don't think) but when you invest millions of $ into shows you can't risk losing audience. Doesn't help that both shows could lose revenue in the CW (UPN/WB) merge when suddenly it loses syndie slots.

Also, those TPTB above him may have decided his time could be better spent not tipping off or ticking off the fan base.

I think we all can live without knowing the titles, etc. of upcoming episodes. If all spoilers suddenly died off, we'd survive ;) (even though of us who run spoiler lists, eh, lists don't live forever). In some respects JM's leaving fandom to concentrate 100% on the show (and not asking the 500th permutation of "are sam/jack getting together?" and "when is jonas coming back?") may strengthen fandom. No one is going to be quoting him (in or out of context). It will be back to fans only, discussing the show, not what Joe M or anybody else said.

So, life goes on. I think I can safely say that the vast majority of people go to this forum, this site, and many other lists sites to interact with fellow FANS first and foremost.

sueKay
January 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM
While it's well known that I don't like Vala and I want some closure to Sam/Jack, I think that some of the comments to that end were horrid.

I agree...hopefully this will stop a lot of the bad vibes at GW. When I heard all about RE, I was horrified, made a lot of bad posts and vented a lot elsewhere, when the episode was quite good.

If the spoilers are cut down, I think it'd be better.

Still...I'll miss Joe.

Formerhost
January 25th, 2006, 09:32 AM
SG-1/Atlantis Magazine people should think about asking Joe - after so many years of doing his blog and interacting with fans he would be the best for this job - to write "The Producer's Cut" for each issue of magazine. David Kemper used to do it for Farscape Magazine when Farscape was on air and we had 2-3 pages of wonderful reading with insights into what was happening on the set and in the writers' office.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 25th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Also, maybe he is leaving the show, I mean he has worked there 10 years and lots of others have come and gone and he did say he had other projects he would like to work on.
No, Joe and Paul joined the series at the beginning of Season 4. They've only been there for 6 years, not 10.

prion
January 25th, 2006, 10:07 AM
While it's well known that I don't like Vala and I want some closure to Sam/Jack, I think that some of the comments to that end were horrid.

I agree...hopefully this will stop a lot of the bad vibes at GW. When I heard all about RE, I was horrified, made a lot of bad posts and vented a lot elsewhere, when the episode was quite good.

If the spoilers are cut down, I think it'd be better.

Still...I'll miss Joe.

I don't think the people who posted the worst would dream of saying that face to face to anybody. Well, there's probably one that would.

Best way to cut down spoilers is to keep them limited to the forums, not put on the website itself. I only say that because GW gets 'googled', and i can't tell you how many times I've seen pretty big spoilers pop up on a simple search for "stargate news". Maybe there's a way to keep the search engines from those pages, but I don't know.

Spoilers will always be out there. It's just a matter of keeping them corralled i nice safe places.

GateAngel
January 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I guess someone finally crossed the line. Huh. Gotta say, I'm surprised it took him this long. He held out for a good long while and kudos to him for that.

Totally off topic, but I LOVE your sig line about the cat!

prion
January 25th, 2006, 10:09 AM
SG-1/Atlantis Magazine people should think about asking Joe - after so many years of doing his blog and interacting with fans he would be the best for this job - to write "The Producer's Cut" for each issue of magazine. David Kemper used to do it for Farscape Magazine when Farscape was on air and we had 2-3 pages of wonderful reading with insights into what was happening on the set and in the writers' office.

Excellent idea.

GateAngel
January 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Your not the only one. :cool: Sony merged with MGM and SG-1 left what was it? Showtime? But SciFi, two years or so on is hardly new owners.

There was a parody article posted awhile back that had these 'predictions for the future' in it and one of those predictions was that someone else would by out Sony and things would change hands again.

Some fans misread this article and didn't realise it was a parody and thought the studio had been sold again.

Sony is still the owner of what used to belong to MGM and they are in partnership with Scifi over SG1 and SGA.

prion
January 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I can't see any real fallout from this, unless fans want to speculate the worst or think for some unfathomable reason they're being denied information.

GateAngel
January 25th, 2006, 10:22 AM

I don't think it was anything to do with spoilers being released or the nature of comments being made in the comments section.

This is just my opinion on it and not necessarily any inside information.

IMHO I think that Sony is not going to put up with things that start letter writing campaigns their way and they are basing this on a business decision.

The things that Joe released about the cut scenes from Ripple Effect elicited some pretty strong reactions from some fans, particularlly those that are not happy to see things with Daniel Jackson in them cut from the final product of an episode. Those fans were already in the process of calling for letters to be written to Sony and Scifi over this (as well as shipper fans talking about sending letters too).

Also IMHO I think that Sony doesn't want deleted scenes being shown or talked about on the net. I mean you notice that since Sony took over, Scifi has ceased putting deleted scenes from episodes on their website. I think they don't want fans knowing what was cut or what they could have seen until the time that Sony or whomever decides to make ultimate edition DVD collections with this kind of material on it and actually MAKE MONEY from it instead of giving it away for free.

Marla

Skydiver
January 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM
i doubt spoilers will dry up largely because there are hundreds of people involved in making the show, and the odds of them all keeping thier mouths shut is pretty slim.

and i do agree, bsg is scifi's golden child. they own it and can do whatever they want with it as opposed to stargate and atlantis that are owned by sony/mgm and have to be contracted with

if he's pulling out to devote more time to the show, rock on. dude, imho, it needs it. to ME, sg is dying a slow death and atlantis won't be far behind

if there are other mitigating factors, whatever. we'll never know and can speculate all day long

i wish him all the best

Formerhost
January 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I don't think it was anything to do with spoilers being released or the nature of comments being made in the comments section.

This is just my opinion on it and not necessarily any inside information.

IMHO I think that Sony is not going to put up with things that start letter writing campaigns their way and they are basing this on a business decision.

The things that Joe released about the cut scenes from Ripple Effect elicited some pretty strong reactions from some fans, particularlly those that are not happy to see things with Daniel Jackson in them cut from the final product of an episode. Those fans were already in the process of calling for letters to be written to Sony and Scifi over this (as well as shipper fans talking about sending letters too).

Also IMHO I think that Sony doesn't want deleted scenes being shown or talked about on the net. I mean you notice that since Sony took over, Scifi has ceased putting deleted scenes from episodes on their website. I think they don't want fans knowing what was cut or what they could have seen (until the time that Sony or whomever decides to make ultimate edition DVD collections with this kind of material on it and actually MAKE MONEY from it instead of giving it away for free).

Marla

It doesn't need to be ultimate edition, take any Farscape DVD and Deleted scenes are the most important part of the Extras for each volume, sometimes it's 2-3 minutes, sometimes up to about 20 minutes.

Skydiver
January 25th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Marla

i dont' quite agree wtih that. IMHO, skiffy likes to keep fans stirred up. they like to get them writing and manipulate them. to them, being stirred up = interest and they want to keep that going

I think it has more to do with controlling things, forcing fans to flock to the scifi site - more hits = more ad revenue and i think that's their goal.

take a look at how many people play here as opposed to those that play on the scifi site then add in all the folks that play on other fanrun sites and i bet that the scifi site comes up lacking

Lida
January 25th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hi:

What do you think?

I haven't been following the blog faithfully, but I do agree that some people seem to have forgotten their "manners". The tptb take time out from their very hectic schedules to write these blogs and try to give us some insight on the backstage workings of SG-1/Atlantis. I wish that many of the Gateworlders would remember that, and despite their obvious displeasure with Joe, et al, would remain courteous. We are representatives of the fans of both shows and should show some degree of respect for those who produce and write them. I know we don't always agree with the storylines, but we should be adult about it, and not act as children, but as always, that's just my opinion.

STARGATE7777
January 25th, 2006, 11:23 AM
I am not sorry to see him go at all. To me, he generally created for controversy that calmed it and his answers were vague. ( maybe, we'll have to wait and see,etc.) It was also interesting the questions he did not answer. Many were well written and polite. I believe that this is just another indication that all is not well. I know there are people who want to ignore fan reaction and say the show is great but no matter where your opinion lies you have to admit that something has changed. I mean, do you honestly believe that EVERYONE who has a concern or complaint is a rude idiot. Many people are longtime loyal fans with, what they see, as legitimate concerns and questions. And you have to admit, many of the things said, written and implied (spoilers) seem to be designed to create controversy.

minigeek
January 25th, 2006, 11:46 AM
My money is completely on studio politics. I don't think this has anything to do with fan comments, forum angst, blog binging or anything else even remotely like that. Not a bit.

TameFarrar
January 25th, 2006, 11:48 AM
And you have to admit, many of the things said, written and implied (spoilers) seem to be designed to create controversy.
To some it caused controversy and to others it made them intrigued and want to know more.... that is definitely all about your perspective about what the specific spoiler was.

You have kind of said the same thing that Skydiver has just in a different way.... Sci-Fi is happy as long as we are talking about it... good , bad or ugly we are talking about THEIR channel and THEIR shows.... so they are happy ... BUT they want things on THEIR web-site... *shrug* so.......

So I don't think what was said here or on any other fan site is the reason... or at least the *main* reason. I would be more inclined to think that with such a busy life.... Joe may be thinking the little bit of free-time he has may need to be with friends and family for a bit :).... and we all know we do that as well :)

Skydiver
January 25th, 2006, 12:32 PM
that's where i'd put my money.

my personal issue IF skiffy is trying to steer everyone towards their site only....it's crud. it's too bogged down with resource hogging flash animation, it's a witch to navigate, it's massively user unfriendly and is full of incorrect info.

Personally, i use it only to download the pod casts and get the eps summaries to check spellings

AGateFan
January 25th, 2006, 12:55 PM

my personal issue IF skiffy is trying to steer everyone towards their site only....it's crud. it's too bogged down with resource hogging flash animation, it's a witch to navigate, it's massively user unfriendly and is full of incorrect info.

Personally, i use it only to download the pod casts and get the eps summaries to check spellings
I agree its a crpy site and I also can see scifi wanting all the exclusives for themselves to make people go to their site. I still wont. I like Joe and all but it really wouldnt be worth my time to spend any but a few minutes on that horrid website.

LaCroix
January 25th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'm begining to wonder if Skiffy had Sony put in a clause in Joe's contract that the only place he'd blog at is Sci-Fi. The reasons are after visiting Scifi.com they changed their whole front page.

And no I wont be go over there. I remember trying to navigate that site back when Earth Final Conflict was on there and I hated the BB's.

Deevil
January 25th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I would assume usually it was the network putting a stop on it, but it doesn't make any sense; considering how long he has been here, been lurking etc - I don't see why in all honesty they would completely pull the plug.

My best bet is that it is his own personal choice. For whatever reasons he has decided to leave. Although I have to say that the man has been much more patient with the crap that has been spewed forth then I would be.

prion
January 25th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Hate to argue the point but...

Scifi's site comes up quicker than Gateworld. Always has. The board's been down once in all the time I've been visiting and posting there (yes, I post in both places).

The threads are basically the same kind of format, but it's drawback is that old material just moves on the next page and you have to do a heckuva lot searching to find stuff. But you can stick in avatars, memory hogging sig lines (and yes, there are enough of those on both forums).

Of course scifi wants people to use their forum. After all, they MAKE the show (yes, they have financial and other input in to the show)

Is it a great forum? No. It is hell? No.

And today, they just revamped the main front page, and their Stargate blog is still continuing, although there's no place to comment on it.

Skydiver
January 25th, 2006, 05:47 PM
it works different ways for different people. i run my puter with the flash turned off because it's such a resource hog and pain, especially when you get 3-4 of those ads on a single page. i visit the scifi site once a week, to get the episode summaries and the bsg podcast. i don't use thier bulletin boards, have no interest in playing dodge the troll in the free for all that their forum is

different stuff works for different people. I like things simple and clean. extravagant animations are a waste of time and something the geeks use to impress the suits, they do nothing for me.

If they're doing this in an effort to 'force' people to use thier site - and they might not be, who knows - then i'll just go without. I seriously doubt they'll have anything on their spin doctored and PR heavy site that'll be worth it anyway.

PG15
January 25th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Wait a sec...will he still do the Production Diaries?

nell
January 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
FYI. Please visit the Joe Mallozzi Appreciation Thread in the General Discussion section!!!

Skydiver
January 25th, 2006, 06:32 PM
apparantly not for a fan site.(judging that he's pulled out of GW and OS) And there is no information if he will still do them for another site or if he just won't do anything at all.

PG15
January 25th, 2006, 06:40 PM
I am not sorry to see him go at all. To me, he generally created for controversy that calmed it and his answers were vague. ( maybe, we'll have to wait and see,etc.)

Ok, but if he said definate things, but they change it later, the fans will be screaming bloody murder about him lying.

The controversy is mostly the fans' fault. I've seen tiny spoilers being touted as the end of the world. I guess Joe just thought that fans were a little smarter.

To paraphrase Agent K from Men in Black: A person is smart, rational, bright...but people are paranoid, stupid and unpredicatable.

It was also interesting the questions he did not answer. Many were well written and polite.

It doesn't matter HOW they were written, it's WHAT was written. If I were him I wouldn't reply to any Sam/Jack or Furling questions after the first 20 or so, no matter how polite or well written they were.

I mean, do you honestly believe that EVERYONE who has a concern or complaint is a rude idiot.

Most are. Now, don't get me wrong. I think most fans are like that, me included at times.

And you have to admit, many of the things said, written and implied (spoilers) seem to be designed to create controversy.

Again, I still think that most of it is caused by the fact that some fans fail to see the big picture. I mean, Jack leaving? Ok, time to panic. They're cutting a scene from an episode because the episode ran long, and it just happens to have their favorite character in it, and not doing anything particularly interesting or facinating? Ok, time to shrug it off.

An example: In Season 4 of Enterprise, there were spoilers that said that Archer was going to teach T'Pol how to mind meld because he had Surak in his head (Surak was the "father of logic" for Vulcans, if you didn't know). The site, bigger than Gateworld, almost crashed that day because of the fans screaming and shouting and generally making themselves look like obssesive jerks.

When the episode aired, everything made sense, and none but a handful of extremists complained.

Did they wait until more info was out before they complain? No. Did they tell themselves "hold on, maybe this won't be so bad"? Most likely not.

Well, why not? Some people joke that, where's the fun in not complaining when you're in a fandom? Well, I think it's time to put that joke aside and really answer that question.

This, of course, has nothing to do with real constructive criticism, which should be welcomed.

Wow...what a rant. :o

prion
January 26th, 2006, 03:48 AM
it works different ways for different people. i run my puter with the flash turned off because it's such a resource hog and pain, especially when you get 3-4 of those ads on a single page. i visit the scifi site once a week, to get the episode summaries and the bsg podcast. i don't use thier bulletin boards, have no interest in playing dodge the troll in the free for all that their forum is

different stuff works for different people. I like things simple and clean. extravagant animations are a waste of time and something the geeks use to impress the suits, they do nothing for me.

If they're doing this in an effort to 'force' people to use thier site - and they might not be, who knows - then i'll just go without. I seriously doubt they'll have anything on their spin doctored and PR heavy site that'll be worth it anyway.

It's a show's site, so of course, it's about PR.

However, the boards don't kill you with animation anymore than this forum does. People have the same sigs, etc. In fact, you can see the same people on both forums.

No one forces anyone to go anywhere, but some folk like to see differing opinions, that's all.

Erised
January 26th, 2006, 04:05 AM
stupid morons posting insults on his blog comments! If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!!!! *insults*
I hope Joe will still be reading our feedbacks about the episode. And maybe someday he will come back... at least I hope so *cry*

Skydiver
January 26th, 2006, 04:43 AM
No one forces anyone to go anywhere, but some folk like to see differing opinions, that's all.

if scifi's aim is to corral all the spoilers and PTB contact to be ONLY at thier site, then yeah, they are attempting to force, or steer, folks to thier site only and to quash fan sites by cutting off any and all 'inside info' to fan sites

maybe they're not doing that...but i trust scifi about as far as i can throw them. :)

time will tell if there are any ulterior motives or if it's just coincidence

prion
January 26th, 2006, 04:59 AM
if scifi's aim is to corral all the spoilers and PTB contact to be ONLY at thier site, then yeah, they are attempting to force, or steer, folks to thier site only and to quash fan sites by cutting off any and all 'inside info' to fan sites

maybe they're not doing that...but i trust scifi about as far as i can throw them. :)

time will tell if there are any ulterior motives or if it's just coincidence

Okay, for argument's sake, let's say that the studio wants to get rid of spoilers. They can do it. And... so what? We don't have spoilers anymore. The majority of fans can live without 'em. They're fun to read, they're ALWAYS incomplete, and fans speculate wildly on them.

I seriously doubt Scifi would do that. They're too busy shuffling execs and making popcorn movies. If they want to quash fan sites, they'd simply issue C&D orders or sue. Face it, no fan has the pocketbook that a studio has, and SG does not have the legion of fans that Star Wars has.

Joe has left online fandom (for a while, permanently, who knows?) and fandom should just deal with it and continue.

Formerhost
January 26th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Okay, for argument's sake, let's say that the studio wants to get rid of spoilers. They can do it. And... so what? We don't have spoilers anymore. The majority of fans can live without 'em. They're fun to read, they're ALWAYS incomplete, and fans speculate wildly on them.

I seriously doubt Scifi would do that. They're too busy shuffling execs and making popcorn movies. If they want to quash fan sites, they'd simply issue C&D orders or sue. Face it, no fan has the pocketbook that a studio has, and SG does not have the legion of fans that Star Wars has.

Joe has left online fandom (for a while, permanently, who knows?) and fandom should just deal with it and continue.

I suppose Joe made a mistake revealing these deleted scenes from Ripple Effect and this was this "last nail to the coffin" for the studio. Or gave the "wrong" answer in one of his Q&A threads here or at Solutions board.

Seshat
January 26th, 2006, 08:10 AM
The difference is that last year at this time Joe et al were brimming with news about the >brand spankin' sparkly new season< starting production. To go from >news flash< to >dead silence< is simply a big change and takes a bit of getting used to. But I respect that they are well within their rights to say or not say anything they like. :)

I still think he will be back eventually. :) And I can wait. ;)

Deevil
January 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Sci-Fi can tell it's people to back up from fansites and go and blog on their website if they want. They own the show - they have a right to reap and sow as they please, and they don't need our permission to do so.

Of course Sci-Fi's website is an excercise in PR, most if not all websites are. What do you expect?

All in all, they aren't trying to reign in spoilers, because honestly they have no reason to start doing it now. It seems like a personal decision to me...

prion
January 26th, 2006, 02:48 PM
The difference is that last year at this time Joe et al were brimming with news about the >brand spankin' sparkly new season< starting production. To go from >news flash< to >dead silence< is simply a big change and takes a bit of getting used to. But I respect that they are well within their rights to say or not say anything they like. :)

I still think he will be back eventually. :) And I can wait. ;)

I *sorta* remember when he left, but the impact was negligible. Fandom just kept moving along ;)

keshou
January 26th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Hi:

What do you think?
Hmmm....well if he had just stopped his blog and nothing else I would think he was tired of the comments section, etc.

The fact he's pulled back from everything leaves me thinking it's not his choice. He seemed to love all the interaction and was more tolerant of the fan wank than I could *ever* be. Whether it's Scifi or Sony trying to control things or some bruhaha in the production office over something he wrote or all the comments about the actors in the blog responses - well, who knows.

In all honesty, as much as I think it's kind of cool when one of TPTB interacts with the fans and as much as I enjoyed reading some of Joe's snarky replies and about his latest find at the video store, I'm kind of happy that blog is gone. Not that I didn't read it - in a "rubber-necking on the freeway" kind of way. But the comments section had just became a home for special interest groups and trolls trying to stir things up.

I thought the "In The Making" thing was cool and I'll miss that the most.

AGateFan
January 27th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I noticed that "Sony has released basic plotlines for the remaining episodes of Stargate SG-1's ninth season. ".

Hmmm does MGM\Sony always do this type of 'official' release? If not this could lend credence to the Joe was told to stop fraternizing ideas.

longwind
January 27th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I pretty much agree with this not seeming like his style.

He's a cranky but loveable curmudgeon, and I think it probably has a lot more to do with the usually insanity at skiffy.
The following appeared the same day.
====================================
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117936656?categoryId=30&cs=1

Sci Fi burnishes exec lineup
Cabler taps Schoneboom, O'Brien, Brennan

By MARESSA BROWN

Sci Fi Channel has named Sallie Schoneboom senior VP of public relations, while Nora O'Brien has been upped to VP of original programming.
Cabler has also tapped Bill Brennan as VP in the communications department, and Lana Kim as director.
Schoneboom comes to Sci Fi from ABC Daytime, where she served as head of media and talent relations and helped launch morning yakfest "The View." She will report to Sci Fi exec VP-general manager Dave Howe.
O'Brien will develop both series and longform projects in her new position. She currently oversees "Stargate SG-1" and the drama pilot, "Warehouse 13" from "Battlestar Galactica" exec producer Ronald D. Moore.
Brennan previously served as a publicity veep at Bravo, where he worked on the campaigns for "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" and "Inside the Actor's Studio."
Kim, upped from manager, oversees publicity for the cabler's Friday lineup of original series including "SG-1," "Stargate Atlantis" and "Galactica."

Date in print: Tue., Jan. 24, 2006, Gotham
========================================================
With this, and by the timing of the first comment on JM's blog
---------------------------------
Tuesday, January 24, 2006
That's a wrap!
First comment @ 7:47 PM
---------------------------------

The way I read it going down is that someone at Skiffy got a new job. Decided to throw HER weight around, and in the classic business school tradition of bullying, started with attacking Joe's blog, which some ninny identified as the chief source of spoiler. As new honcho at one of the levels of the new positions, spoilers ought to have the "proper" skiffy spin. (except for THEIR trailers, in the best tradition of Dude, Where's My Car) So, I'm guessing Joe 'got a letter' or e-mail, or WHY... with a cease or decease order. Since it was so delicately put...he threw up his hands, and we see the result.

First off. Joe's a big boy. He clearly laughed at the trolls, and if there was something he thought was serious, he addressed it. I personally would NOT want to get in his crosshairs in a battle of wits. (And yeah, the trolls were unarmed.) So I don't see hurt feelings being the source of this terminal mode blog.

This just showed up today on gateworld, and is indicative of what we can see coming from "business school types" at skiffy.
=====================================================
Season Nine's final episodes teased
FRIDAY - JANUARY 27, 2006
Sony has released basic plotlines for the remaining episodes of Stargate SG-1's ninth season. While not revealing a lot of new information, they do encapsulate the central action of episodes for which we have seen only scattered spoilers so far……..Beware of minor spoilers below -- though nothing more than you will find in your local TV Guide:

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/01/seasonninesfinalepisodeste.shtml
==========================================

I wonder if the last little dig isn't from Gateworld, who probably are on the inside of this story, with the equivalent 'cease or decease' order. Trying to let people know what to expect......sigh.

So some VP at skiffy needs to bullyboy her reputation as a BAD*SS, and clobbers the highest and most obvious target. In a creative world, what stands out is good. In an uncreative world, as the Japanese are known to say, the nail that stands out of the floor gets pounded down. I suspect that same VP at skiffy is making the classic mistake: controlling creativity is NOT creativity. The highest of the new pack at skiffy is from ABC daytime, and while personally, I like The View for what it is, it would be nothing without the quirky and determined Barbara Walters protecting her property from ongoing beancounter attacks.

If this type of thickness continues, and my own experience is that it just gets worse..... creating a marketable product instead of producing quality shows and attracting viewers through that honest and intelligent take..... stand by for formula TV..... I have no idea how skiffy will do it, but they'll manage to have SOME kind of reality TV on skiffy in no time..... (The REAL Roswell.....; Area 51 Bowling;.... I don't want to go any further, beancounters wouldn't understand irony, and we'd see titles 'going gold on the project' within 6 months....... don't want to give them lame ideas to build on)

So: J'accuse..... skiffy new PR Hacks slamming things around to feel important, and JM's blog is just one of a couple of things that were mowed down by this corporate equivalent of DUI (programming without thinking: and when that's pointed out to them, they will spout on the quality of the audience, not realizing skiffy usually has attracted a very good demographic.... in the past) Let's hope they'll call a damn cab to get home, and ask a few questions before trademarking and "making a Mark".

To paraphrase a great moment in SF....
"keep watching SciFi.....Keep Watching SciFi.....Beware what lies ahead"
(with apologies to John W.Campbell and Charles Lederer.....

Seshat
January 27th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I noticed that "Sony has released basic plotlines for the remaining episodes of Stargate SG-1's ninth season. ".

Hmmm does MGM\Sony always do this type of 'official' release? If not this could lend credence to the Joe was told to stop fraternizing ideas.
LOL I thought the very same thing when I saw that news. :D Although the way the SciFI previews give away most of the plot points you'd think there would be no need to release spoilers. I feel spoiled every time I watch an "on next week's episode" trailer. ;)

ShadowMaat
January 27th, 2006, 07:40 PM
What would be the point of trying to put a stopper on spoilers after all this time? I agree it's an interesting coincidence, but it seems a bit stupid to gag Joe now. And yes, I know SCIFI is stupid, but still...

prion
January 28th, 2006, 10:34 AM
The following appeared the same day.
====================================
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryId=30&cs=1

Sci Fi burnishes exec lineup
Cabler taps Schoneboom, O'Brien, Brennan

The way I read it going down is that someone at Skiffy got a new job. Decided to throw HER weight around, and in the classic business school tradition of bullying, started with attacking Joe's blog, which some ninny identified as the chief source of spoiler. As new honcho at one of the levels of the new positions, spoilers ought to have the "proper" skiffy spin. (except for THEIR trailers, in the best tradition of Dude, Where's My Car) So, I'm guessing Joe 'got a letter' or e-mail, or WHY... with a cease or decease order. Since it was so delicately put...he threw up his hands, and we see the result.

I don’t see it so much as a spoiler issue. They’re all over the press, after all, for various shows. TV Guide gives away key points in their columns nowadays. I honestly think that it’s a matter of time. Season 10 SG1 and season 3 SGA are starting up now. BSG is doing better in the ratings. Hints may have very easily been dropped from those above that Joe, you’ve got a blog, a column, and a Q&A thread, and reading and answering those things takes away PRODUCTIVE time from the show. Face it, Joe’s main priority is to write/produce the SG shows. Playing with the fans is not a priority.

First off. Joe's a big boy. He clearly laughed at the trolls, and if there was something he thought was serious, he addressed it. I personally would NOT want to get in his crosshairs in a battle of wits. (And yeah, the trolls were unarmed.) So I don't see hurt feelings being the source of this terminal mode blog.

Actually, he called them ‘whackos,’ if you want to be precise. I seriously doubt hurt feelings had anything to do with it as he could be as caustic in response as any troll.

This just showed up today on gateworld, and is indicative of what we can see coming from "business school types" at skiffy.
Season Nine's final episodes teased
FRIDAY - JANUARY 27, 2006
Sony has released basic plotlines for the remaining episodes of Stargate SG-1's ninth season. While not revealing a lot of new information, they do encapsulate the central action of episodes for which we have seen only scattered spoilers so far……..Beware of minor spoilers below -- though nothing more than you will find in your local TV Guide:

I wonder if the last little dig isn't from Gateworld, who probably are on the inside of this story, with the equivalent 'cease or decease' order. Trying to let people know what to expect......sigh.

The synopses they listed are nothing more than Scifi press release info that TV critics use for their papers. So when they write their “what to watch this week/tonight’ page, they just simply cut and paste the blurb. It’s nothing new.

So some VP at skiffy needs to bullyboy her reputation as a BAD*SS, and clobbers the highest and most obvious target. In a creative world, what stands out is good. In an uncreative world, as the Japanese are known to say, the nail that stands out of the floor gets pounded down. I suspect that same VP at skiffy is making the classic mistake: controlling creativity is NOT creativity.
Playing devil’s advocate, Skiffy helps pay the salaries. Yes, they do have financial and creative input into the shows, Thomas Vitale said so in a chat a couple years back. They’re the boss. If they hint/order/whatever JM or anybody else to stop playing on the net, they can do it. Heck, you know that any company can tell people to do that, even on their off-time, if their comments are about their employer.

If this type of thickness continues, and my own experience is that it just gets worse..... creating a marketable product instead of producing quality shows and attracting viewers through that honest and intelligent take..... stand by for formula TV.....

Stargate’s just like toilet paper or a pencil. IT’s a product, albeit a more enjoyable one. The biggest problem I foresee in the future is that they may try to appeal too much to teenage boys (hence some of the crap the writers have churned out – don’t get me started on next week’s SGA which I’ve already seen). However, the last public comment from a Scifi exec on the SG writing was that Skiffy wasn’t going to meddle with it, so if the episode sucks, it could very well be the writers/producers at Bridge who, for some unfathomable reason, decided to give in to personal urges to write a lame episode that amused them to no end but that doesn’t play across the audience.

Skydiver
January 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
that article just supports my opinion that joe pulling back is likely because of skiffy pulling a 'we want everyone to come to US' temper tantrum.

they want to be the center of the spoiler universe. the 'only' source for information etc.

just my opinion but i think what we're seeing is typical big business bullying. if they can't get folks to voluntarily play in their sandbox, then they're gonna 'force' people to come play by messing wiht every other sandbox out there, filling them full of rocks and making them not as attractive as thier own

prion
January 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
that article just supports my opinion that joe pulling back is likely because of skiffy pulling a 'we want everyone to come to US' temper tantrum.

they want to be the center of the spoiler universe. the 'only' source for information etc.

just my opinion but i think what we're seeing is typical big business bullying. if they can't get folks to voluntarily play in their sandbox, then they're gonna 'force' people to come play by messing wiht every other sandbox out there, filling them full of rocks and making them not as attractive as thier own

If Skiffy wanted to force people, both they and Sony have lawyers that could wipe GW and all other fansites off the web. Really. There is nothing in Joe's sudden departure to indicate Skiffy wants to drive people to THEIR site. Come on, already. If they want to squash spoilers, they can do it, too. And if they did, you think the fans that were told to cease and desist wouldn't come out righ ton the net and say "I got a C&D order, sorry, list is gone"?

I think a mountain is being made out of molehill in this case. Or rather, rampant speculation is just running riot.

Joe left the internet fandom. If he was told to by Skiffy, could it have been to contain spoilers? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe they wanted his 100% on the show, and not just 80% and 20% playing on the net?

Think if people despise Skiffy maybe an anti-Skiffy thread should be created.... ;)

SG-1ssm
January 28th, 2006, 05:27 PM
And personally, I think too many spoilers get out for SG-1 as it is, so if that's part of it, I'm glad about that too. But of course, I'm just speculating.

I agree. Way too many spoilers that are wrecking the show. BSG does a lot better, not letting anything get out.

SG-1ssm
January 28th, 2006, 05:43 PM
I've also checked over at Solutions. On their homepage there is an announcement about this. So, at least in my opinion, he's cut all ties with online fandom.

Stupid question, but waht the heck is Solutions? Who are they and I watn to read the announcement.

prion
January 28th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I agree. Way too many spoilers that are wrecking the show. BSG does a lot better, not letting anything get out.

Er, um, it depends on what forums you're on.... they are out there.

Shep
January 30th, 2006, 12:54 AM

:::falls over laughing:::

there are just as many spoilers out for BSG as the Stargates.

they have so very much more important things to do with their time than nut up about who does or doesn't have spoilers. and honestly, why would Skiffy care less about who posts spoilers where? the spoiler photos come from Skiffy, for frak's sake, and are up a good month in advance at NBCU's Media Village.

they're just spoilers, not the genetic makeup of anthrax. spoilers are part of the business of publicity. they're released for a reason. if NBCU didn't want anything released about its shows, there would be nothing released about its shows.

sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

GateGipsy
January 30th, 2006, 03:24 AM
Well Shep, from a business point of view I can see an exec at Sci Fi wanting to know why a production person is giving their weight to another site - they'd want the traffic for their own site.

As for Joe, well this isn't the first time he has pulled back from participating in the Fandom. Maybe he just needs a rest. Personally, I suspect that he'll be back.

prion
January 30th, 2006, 03:37 AM
Well Shep, from a business point of view I can see an exec at Sci Fi wanting to know why a production person is giving their weight to another site - they'd want the traffic for their own site.

As for Joe, well this isn't the first time he has pulled back from participating in the Fandom. Maybe he just needs a rest. Personally, I suspect that he'll be back.

Yes, and scifi has that right, to also control how people perceive the folks behind the show. Perhaps the nastiness on the blog comments was detrimental (Joe may not have cared, but Skiffy/Sony/HIS boss, might have said, time to get off the net).

Eh, we can speculate on this forever....

Skydiver
January 30th, 2006, 04:39 AM

i agree. he's too addictd to interacting with/stirring up/antagonizing/getting amusement from the fans to go cold turkey

Deevil
January 30th, 2006, 04:52 AM
I personally believe his wife was getting a little worried about his ice-cream and recipe swapping... A couple of them could have killed you from 100 paces (okay, maybe not really - but who comes to these places for reality?); so she asked him to stop coming here, or she was going to take the dog and egads the ice cream maker and leave.

pittsburghgirl
January 30th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Hi:

What do you think?
i think Joe was able to handle the crazies that logged on to his blog-I think it was more of "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" that happened.

He went trolling on that friday RE was shown and got slammed from all sides. Maybe he was trying to make a point to the people he worked week about not caring about the fan base or maybe he was just tired of it all.

prion
January 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
i agree. he's too addictd to interacting with/stirring up/antagonizing/getting amusement from the fans to go cold turkey

Isn't that the defnition of an internet troll??

Shep
January 31st, 2006, 01:20 AM

why? interaction with the fans is interaction with the fans. it's all publicity and build up. and what Joe does on his own time is his own business unless he signed an nda. he's not giving away anything that Levine isn't writing on his blog at Skiffy's site, and Levine posts sporadically. they complemented each other i thought. dedicated fans will seek out as much information as they can possibly get their hands on. Skiffy knows this, and NBCU knows it better.

prion
January 31st, 2006, 02:28 AM
why? interaction with the fans is interaction with the fans. it's all publicity and build up. and what Joe does on his own time is his own business unless he signed an nda. he's not giving away anything that Levine isn't writing on his blog at Skiffy's site, and Levine posts sporadically. they complemented each other i thought. dedicated fans will seek out as much information as they can possibly get their hands on. Skiffy knows this, and NBCU knows it better.

Actually, no. Sure, he can do whatever he wants when he's not at bridge studios. He can blog about tin cans, make ice cream, etc, etc., but if he blogs about WORK, then Skiffy/Sony can have a say. There has been a lot in the press lately about blogging about your place of employment. The airline stewardess who got canned because of a photo in her blog of her in uniform (well, not totally).

For instance, this blog talks about it

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=661&topic=35&morepop=1

or

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/Careers/04/05/blogging/

And as for Alex Levine's blog, it's a once a week thing about episodes and work, and it IS vetted by Scifi/Sony (as anybody who noticed that one blog entry vanish last year). SciFi/Sony is under no obligation to provide us with the nitty gritty details, dirt, spoilers, etc. on their show. In fact, they don't even have to do a website, but to not have a website in this day and age is pretty stupid.

But anyway, the point really is moot. Joe has, for one reason or another, to leave the net. It's a done deal. Will we ever find out the real reason? I think pigs will fly first ;)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 31st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Those are some pretty cool links, prion

Willow'sCat
January 31st, 2006, 08:32 PM
If Skiffy wanted to force people, both they and Sony have lawyers that could wipe GW and all other fansites off the web. Really. Yes but there is subtlety and then there is using a freaking sledge hammer. We see how well the sledge hammer hasn't worked for the reputation of the Music industry. ;)

I don't think even Skiffy is stupid enough to take a major Stargate site that almost everyone who works on the show knows about and/or has visited at one time or another into legal action, which they may well lose anyway.

What has GW done that is illegal? :confused: What have 99% of TV show sites done that is illegal? Most like GW say don't talk about dl'ing, don't insult the actors or writers blah...so what is this court action they could possably take anyway?

Seems only someone like Joe himself could get into legal trouble over releasing spoilers. Really.

Deevil
January 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM
Skiffy probably don't care that Joe was posting here, otherwise the other involved staffers and Gary wouldn't be posting either.

It's a personal thing. Who knows, when he's at home he might want to spend some time with his wife rather then online? Ya know, there could be a million reasons - and none of them are related to Sci-Fi network. Sometimes a spade really is just a spade.

Shep
February 1st, 2006, 02:16 AM
Actually, no. Sure, he can do whatever he wants when he's not at bridge studios. He can blog about tin cans, make ice cream, etc, etc., but if he blogs about WORK, then Skiffy/Sony can have a say.

the part where i mentioned the nda, as in, non-disclosure agreement? that would be us saying the same thing.

And as for Alex Levine's blog, it's a once a week thing about episodes and work, and it IS vetted by Scifi/Sony (as anybody who noticed that one blog entry vanish last year).

yes. that's why it's at Skiffy's official website. my point for including it was that Levine is releasing info as well, so if that was the issue, he would no longer be blogging also.

SciFi/Sony is under no obligation to provide us with the nitty gritty details, dirt, spoilers, etc. on their show.

never said they were. simply said that NBCU does, and makes images and info available at Media Village.

Skiffy probably don't care that Joe was posting here, otherwise the other involved staffers and Gary wouldn't be posting either.

also, this.

prion
February 1st, 2006, 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prion
Actually, no. Sure, he can do whatever he wants when he's not at bridge studios. He can blog about tin cans, make ice cream, etc, etc., but if he blogs about WORK, then Skiffy/Sony can have a say.

the part where i mentioned the nda, as in, non-disclosure agreement? that would be us saying the same thing.

A non-disclosurement agreement covers legal issues, disclosing trade secrets, etc. It doesn't necessary cover behavior. A person can disclose nothing fnancially damaging to a company in a blog, but if they smear their employer in some manner, or put them in a bad light by how they behave, the employer can have a say.

Quote:
SciFi/Sony is under no obligation to provide us with the nitty gritty details, dirt, spoilers, etc. on their show.

never said they were. simply said that NBCU does, and makes images and info available at Media Village.

It's a common irritating point among a percentage of fans that they are entitled to certain information.

Quote:

also, this.

Skiffy might only care if the blog, other stuff took up too much of Joe's time or the way in which staff was presented was less than desirable. Calling part of the fan base - even if that fan base are acting like putzes - 'whackos' - doesn't help the bottomline ;)

prion
February 1st, 2006, 03:25 AM
Yes but there is subtlety and then there is using a freaking sledge hammer. We see how well the sledge hammer hasn't worked for the reputation of the Music industry. ;)

Well, let's not forget Sony's regrettable action (it was Sony, as I recall) with that software crud they put on some of their CDs....

Yes but there is subtlety and then there is using a
I don't think even Skiffy is stupid enough to take a major Stargate site that almost everyone who works on the show knows about and/or has visited at one time or another into legal action, which they may well lose anyway

Actually, since sony/Scifi OWNS all the copyrighted material, if someone up on top went whacko and decided to eradicate website, they could do that. It would be a messy battle, and you can't take away personal content as in commentaries, but photos, certain information, could all be removed. But Skiffy and Sony are smart enough as are other studios to let fans keep most sites (unless they cross the line) as they're not stupid: let someone else promote the show! They want publicity and don't squawk at free publicity.

But studios have gone after fan productions. It happened with Miami Vice. Fox wiped out all Millennium sites. Hey, remember that show? Of course not, they alienated their fan base.

Yes but there is subtlety and then there is using a
What has GW done that is illegal? :confused: What have 99% of TV show sites done that is illegal? Most like GW say don't talk about dl'ing, don't insult the actors or writers blah...so what is this court action they could possably take anyway?.

No one ever said GW did anything illegal. There may be some gray areas in which fans repost entire articles from other sites without permission, but that's up to those sites to find those posts and have them removed. What studios DO go after is posting of videos (which would be downloads), pornography (thinking back to that fan who make a pornographic animaniacs site once upon a time), etc. Or making money. If a fan site starts to profit off their site, the studio wouldn't like that. Making money to pay for the site is one thing (this site does that; although stats aren't available), but pocketing a profit is another. But that's not really the topic of this thread.

Seems only someone like Joe himself could get into legal trouble over releasing spoilers. Really.

The fact that Joe's been leaking information for several years and the studio has done nothing would probably count aginst any legal action as the studio has, by inaction, condoned the behavior. However, we don't know what goes on at the studio and if someone is told 'don't do that' and they do it again, then you get your hand whacked or worse ;)

But this is all speculation as maybe Joe decided just to get back to work and not waste time on the net anymore.

Maybe someone should do a poll...

Joe left because he was bored
Joe left becuase his wife said he had to stop spending time on the net
Joe left because skiffy said to stop spending time on the net
Joe left because Sony said to stop spending time on the net
etc. etc.
It's sorta endless ;)

Seshat
February 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM
But this is all speculation as maybe Joe decided just to get back to work and not waste time on the net anymore. I suppose it's shameless of me, but I was kind of hoping for this being the reason. (Just heckling Joe a little – sorry.:o) Although I'm sure it has a lot more to do with all of the stuff you said above, and probably one or two more things we haven't even thought of. :rolleyes: Nothing ever happens for just ONE reason.

It doesn't really matter to me one iota, it's just something to speculate about, just as we do over everything Stargate-related here. And I expect we'll see Joe again. :)

N8ball88
February 3rd, 2006, 04:42 AM
I suppose it's shameless of me, but I was kind of hoping for this being the reason. (Just heckling Joe a little – sorry.:o) Although I'm sure it has a lot more to do with all of the stuff you said above, and probably one or two more things we haven't even thought of. :rolleyes: Nothing ever happens for just ONE reason.

It doesn't really matter to me one iota, it's just something to speculate about, just as we do over everything Stargate-related here. And I expect we'll see Joe again. :)

Same here.