This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's the military aspect?

I think I finally put my finger on the biggest thing that's changed for me about watching Stargate.

Mitchell and Landry are good characters. Certainly good enough to write a good show.

But, they both scream "We are characters in a television show".

With O'Neall and Hammond, they seemed like real Air Force officers. They acted like they were in the military, and they seemed distinctly human. Plus, one of the most interesting conflicts in the show was O'Neall's military pragmatism abrasing against Daniel's humanism and archeological zest.

Now...all the characters are good, but they're also real 'Look at me, I'm a fictional character' characters. And since the chain of command has basically dissapeared, you don't get the military aspect there used to be.

Good point. I miss the old "Do the right thing" vs. "Do the smart thing for us" conflicts we used to get a bit of, haven't really seen many cases of the ethics of two main characters clashing this season. Landry is just Mr. Rubberstamp (plus pointless daughter stuff), and Mitchell is just the kinda sorta vaguely in-charge good guy who doesn't ever have any disagreements worth arguing about with Carter or Daniel.

They didn't used to happen all the time, but such conflicts were a good way of showing character differences without just having other characters comment on them.

Comment

I agree, I miss that hole military aspect that got me hooked to begin with. They are the enemy. lets crush them.... Grabas much intell as you can.... Fight along the way....

Put enough with that. I want the military aspect with the hole we have it all now. LETS FIGHT!!!!!!

( years and going on ten. let's get down with all the nice people we met on the way on are side and lets do this.
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

I think we're in for some serious military action in the next ep, "Stronghold". Maybe the military aspect won't seem so lacking after this one, hopefully.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
          I think we're in for some serious military action in the next ep, "Stronghold". Maybe the military aspect won't seem so lacking after this one, hopefully.
          The problem is not lack of fighting. There is more to the military aspect then that. There is behavior and protocols, what they say and how they act. What manner they interact with each other and the way they carry themselves. Military vs Civilian. In the past it was all so believable, you would think many of the actors actually had some military training and you could tell the difference between the Military guys and the civilians. Now it’s like any other TV show, actors and scriptwriters doing their job but not with the believable minuet details that existed previously. That is what is missing, not just the war stuff.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Can I stepp in and disagree?

Jack O'Neill was not truly believable as a military officer. I don't know how many times I've seen real officers say that if they tried half the things that Jack did they'd be court martialed so fast they'd be out of the military before they could blink. Jack was pretty flippant and casual with his superior officers.

Landry is a different kind of General than Hammond, but he's still a pretty good representation of one, I think. Colonel Mitchell is a bit more proper with his commanding officers than O'Neill was, snapping to attention whenever Landry appears, saluting when he boards the Prometheus, and so on.

Now, Daniel. Daniel has evolved into a soldier over the years. It was inevitable, if he was going to be on a front line combat squad. You can't spend eight years in an environment (taking a year off to be dead) and not adapt to it and become a part of it. I like that he is a better combatant now, that he can shoot and fight and think strategically, as needed.

a time to mourn

Comment

i do think some aspects of the military have been lacking. such as the tanktops in s8. Tank tops aren't normal regulation military attire. also the lam/landry situation. Nepotism is a big, huge no-no, and having one member of the family reporting directly to the other just isn't right.
              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter

Jack O'Neill was not truly believable as a military officer. I don't know how many times I've seen real officers say that if they tried half the things that Jack did they'd be court martialed so fast they'd be out of the military before they could blink. Jack was pretty flippant and casual with his superior officers.
                Man, I couldn’t disagree with you more…
                Ever worked at a headquarters?
                I’ve seen much worse then Jack – not just Ossifers either. NCO’s are some of the stubbornest b@stards you’ll ever meet (trust me on that). Now, granted it’s never ever in public, but behind closed doors…. Oh my… It seems that if you’re really good at your job you can get away with quite a lot. Just make sure you’re really good before you try anything.. At least that’s what I’ve seen.

Comment

Landry is a different kind of General than Hammond, but he's still a pretty good representation of one, I think. Colonel Mitchell is a bit more proper with his commanding officers than O'Neill was, snapping to attention whenever Landry appears, saluting when he boards the Prometheus, and so on.

Now, Daniel. Daniel has evolved into a soldier over the years. It was inevitable, if he was going to be on a front line combat squad. You can't spend eight years in an environment (taking a year off to be dead) and not adapt to it and become a part of it. I like that he is a better combatant now, that he can shoot and fight and think strategically, as needed.
                  I agree with you.
                  School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge
                    Man, I couldn’t disagree with you more…
                    Ever worked at a headquarters?
                    I’ve seen much worse then Jack – not just Ossifers either. NCO’s are some of the stubbornest b@stards you’ll ever meet (trust me on that). Now, granted it’s never ever in public, but behind closed doors…. Oh my… It seems that if you’re really good at your job you can get away with quite a lot. Just make sure you’re really good before you try anything.. At least that’s what I’ve seen.
                    Well, Sarge, we all know that sergeants run the military, don't we?

I am quite glad the "military aspect" has now truly descended into the realms of fantasy because I no longer need to get excited about sloppy radio procedure, awful weapon handling, calling weapons "guns" and.... ack, not wearing hats in ice caves

Now I can let it all wash over me and not care a fig. Now if only the stories would pick up I would enjoy the show.
                    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                      Well, Sarge, we all know that sergeants run the military, don't we?

I am quite glad the "military aspect" has now truly descended into the realms of fantasy because I no longer need to get excited about sloppy radio procedure, awful weapon handling, calling weapons "guns" and.... ack, not wearing hats in ice caves

Now I can let it all wash over me and not care a fig. Now if only the stories would pick up I would enjoy the show.
                      LOL: I forgot all about the “hats in the ice caves”… that was a rather heated issue.. hehehe

don't even want to get me started on the small squad tactics...

Comment

Have you ever seen the first couple seasons of stargate, because if you did you would notice the way the characters handed themselves back then. They acted more military and called shots alot more then they do know. Hell, if chevron guy came in and had a good idea they would do it now. Back then chevron guy wouldn't even be aload in the room.

So yes I have noticed a big drop in military actions. So maybe this Friday all of that will change. Though I don't think that they will be acting like the military but we will get to see them blow stuff up like the military.
                        *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*

Comment

Originally posted by sarge
                          LOL: I forgot all about the “hats in the ice caves”… that was a rather heated issue.. hehehe

don't even want to get me started on the small squad tactics...
                          lalalalalala I can't hear you.

Originally posted by Lord Monk
                          Have you ever seen the first couple seasons of stargate, because if you did you would notice the way the characters handed themselves back then. They acted more military and called shots alot more then they do know. Hell, if chevron guy came in and had a good idea they would do it now. Back then chevron guy wouldn't even be aload in the room.
                          I have no beef with them listening to chevron guy, or the food server, or the cleaner, if they have good ideas. In my old mob, we listened to as many ideas and points of view as possible. What I don't like is the pretence that they are following military procedures - when it suits.

Lam / Landry - IRL, i simply cannot imagine it (not that particular combo - if she wasn't the Chief Medical Officer, say something more admin, I'd have less of a problem with it)

Jack/Sam relationship? NO! It's against regs. So are sexy tank-tops....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                            lalalalalala I can't hear you.

I have no beef with them listening to chevron guy, or the food server, or the cleaner, if they have good ideas. In my old mob, we listened to as many ideas and points of view as possible. What I don't like is the pretence that they are following military procedures - when it suits.

Lam / Landry - IRL, i simply cannot imagine it (not that particular combo - if she wasn't the Chief Medical Officer, say something more admin, I'd have less of a problem with it)

Jack/Sam relationship? NO! It's against regs. So are sexy tank-tops....
                            I realydon't care where they get their ideas from iether. I was just saying taht back in the day that wouldn't fly. And in the real world no mop guy is going to be in a confrence room while top secret missions are being planned out and yes, they don't care what mop boy thinks.

Comment

that would depend... where I worked, we had to do our own cleaning. Anyone in the room during a briefing could (and would) raise points (at the appopriate time)

That part of Stargate I usually like: anyone can be an expert, it is not dependent on rank.

Mostly I just pretend that I know nothing about the military, and I get on fine (except for radio procedure and the hat thing)

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X