PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Carson Beckett

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 07:57 AM
To find out about the other characters in Atlantis click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/characters.shtml)
http://www.gateworld.net/graphics/clear.gif

DR. CARSON BECKETT
PLAYED BY - Paul McGillion (http://us.imdb.com/Name?McGillion,+Paul)
The team's medical doctor, Beckett is a Scottish man with a witty sense of humor. Beckett must become an expert in xenobiology when he joins the expedition to the Pegasus galaxy, and he learns early on that he possesses the rare gene that allows him to use the Ancients' technology.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/graphics/char_beckett.jpg

jenniferhailey
May 3rd, 2004, 09:55 AM
Ooh now I like the look of him. He's another thats been in SG-1 before. :) He is H-O-T-T hot.

Teal'c
May 3rd, 2004, 12:02 PM
I'm thinking he may be a bigger character compared to the rest of the team than Janet was compared to SG-1, I mean, he is getting his own episode pretty early on (Poisoning the Well)

MacGyver
May 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
Good they needed someone with humor. The atlantis team just looks to serious in all the pictures.

w1cket01
May 3rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
I hope they expand his character presence beyond what Janet got for SG-1.

Indiana
May 6th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Anyone know anything about the actor? Where he comes from? His credits seem to list him as having worked on Candian films mostly. I'm just curious if he's a scottish actor working in canada or a candian actor playing a scotsman.

lyoncoeur
July 19th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I found it interesting that they had him wear a Scottish National Flag instead of the Union Jack of the UK.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Scotland is it's own nation? They don't do everything with the others do they?

Greesha
July 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM
i really like dr. beckett. he's funny.

lyoncoeur
July 19th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Scotland is it's own nation? They don't do everything with the others do they?

In name only. Given their own parlement back in 1998, they now have mostly sutonomous decision on internal matters only, they are still part of the uk and therefore must submit to the UK's forgin policy, national laws, military obligations etc.

lyoncoeur
July 19th, 2004, 09:28 AM
In name only. Given their own parlement back in 1998, they now have mostly sutonomous decision on internal matters only, they are still part of the uk and therefore must submit to the UK's forgin policy, national laws, military obligations etc.

err....sutonomous = autonomous.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Well England/UK knows about the Stargate. So sending a Scott to Atlantis isn't wrong either way :)

Indiana
July 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM
It's Scot with one T, not two :rolleyes:

He wears a Scotland Flag on his arm because he's a Scot. Go figure. Scotland is a country. What I find weird is that the English character had a Union Jack. He's English for crying out loud so give him an England Flag to wear.

If you ask why he wasnt wearing a Union Jack then you know thing of the island that bears the countries of Scotland, England and Wales.

Persephone
July 19th, 2004, 11:24 AM
All I could think everytime he was on screen was that he reminded me a lot of Billy Boyd's Pippin in Lord of the Rings. I realize this was largely due to the accent, but I think it was a lot of his mannerisms, too. I also didn't expect him to be carrying the comedy the way he was (didn't keep up to well on my spoilers). I was expecting this very serious character-- probably what automatically springs to mind when I think "doctor" Oy. Threw me for a loop, but I don't really mind. It's always kind of fun to be surprised like that.

Indiana
July 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
beckett had some of the best and funniest lines in the Pilot. I slammed my desk when i heard his voice in the opening scene with him in it.

His voice is quite similar in bits to Billy Boyd, but to be honest his accent is really a Glasgow one, which is where Billy is from. His accent sounds more rural or something. As a Scotsman I can't quite place it.

Lugal
July 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I noticed the Scotland flag too and thought it was cool. He also reminded me of Billy Boyd. I like the character too. I think he will be more involved than Frasier was with SG1

I haven't been able to find any bio info on the actor, so I wonder if he is from Glasgow or not?

Indiana
July 19th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Is the actor not Canadian? Did he have a Scottish accent in The Torment of Tantalus when he played the Young Ernest Littlefield? He certainly didnt sound like he was from Glasgow though, trust me...I'm from there and so is my dad and we both agreed it was not a Glasweigan accent.

Lugal
July 19th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Is the actor not Canadian? Did he have a Scottish accent in The Torment of Tantalus when he played the Young Ernest Littlefield? He certainly didnt sound like he was from Glasgow though, trust me...I'm from there and so is my dad and we both agreed it was not a Glasweigan accent.

He could be Canadian since he was in a lot of shows filmed in Canada. He did not have the Scottish accent in Torment of Tantalus.

BTW I assumed he was Scottish because most Actors I've heard doing a Scottish accent in TV usually went for the "generic Scot" of Scotty of Star Trek or Groundskeeper Willie. Maybe he's trying for a Glaswegian accent but isn't good enough to fool a native Scot.

Liebestraume
July 19th, 2004, 05:38 PM
I really like Dr. Beckett. For one thing, the guy comes across as incredibly humble. He must be very bright to be selected for the expedition and very brave to join it, yet his demeanor shows none of the narcissism or false bravado. In fact, he seems no different from the shy guy next door who happens to be the expert in his chosen profession. I also find his self-deprecating sense of humor very unaffected and, hence, funny and endearing. :)

Indiana
July 20th, 2004, 06:34 AM
He had one of the best laugh out loud lines,

Beckett: "How come I never get friends like that?"
McKay: "You need to get out more"
Beckett: "We're in another Galaxy, how more out can you get?"

greytop
July 20th, 2004, 08:22 AM

This is one of the funniest moments in the show. I think the conversations between McKay and Beckett would funny in the series because they never seem to get a love life so far.

tuspok
July 20th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I really like Dr. Beckett I hope that he does have a bigger role in the show than Dr. Fraiser. Another really funny line was when while sitting in the Ancient chair he said to McKay "Wait, I think I feel something.....it might be lunch related." that was really funny too :)

TechnoBoY
July 20th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I thought his voice was annoying. I'll get used to it though.

Indiana
July 20th, 2004, 02:16 PM
His accent is Scottish. I guess us Scots find your lots voices as equally annoying, but we get used to them also :D

;)

roguescot
July 23rd, 2004, 10:00 PM
No self respecting Scottsman would unless they were forced to ...... :) Take it from a Scotsman himself... but I would like to know if he is Scottish. McGillion is a Clan in Scotland associated with the McBrides as is my clan Mac Ghobhainn (Gaelic).

Indiana
July 25th, 2004, 08:04 AM
I feel kinda like O'Neill here..."it's one T" There's another Scot with two t's, he's a name of a person and not a country...they also have no sense of humour ;)

roguescot
July 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Failte! I've been trying to find a bio on Paul McGillion but can't find anything but his film credits. I'm asking the same thing... is he from Scotland? There is a Clan McGillion which has ties to the Clan McBride as does mine, the Clan MacGowan.

Indiana
July 25th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Taadaa! look what I found! Paul McGillion Official Website (http://www.paulmcgillion.com) Apparantly he WAS born in Paisley, Scotland, which is just outisde Glasgow. It does not mention here when he moved to North America.

There is a demo reel also and his accent is north American in all but the last clip, which is Scottish and is not SG:A.

I found the link on his IMDB page and saw there was no mention of it in this thread so posted it. I had written a longer post, but grrr...my PC crashed before I hit submit.

HIj'Qa
July 26th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Setting Beckett up to be gay!

I'm surprised he's not up with the headliners. He's the 6th banana. He certainly grabbed my attention. We'll have to see how long it takes for him to get on the opening credits!

keshou
July 26th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Taadaa! look what I found! Paul McGillion Official Website (http://www.paulmcgillion.com) Apparantly he WAS born in Paisley, Scotland, which is just outisde Glasgow. It does not mention here when he moved to North America.

There is a demo reel also and his accent is north American in all but the last clip, which is Scottish and is not SG:A.

Thank you so much for finding this! I've been wondering if McGillion's accent was authentic or not. It sounded a little "overdone" to me in the premiere but I don't hear many Scottish accents here in Texas (except on TV of course).

The one time I visited Scotland (years ago) there certainly seemed to be a wide variation between the accent in southern Scotland and northern Scotland. I remember that very well as I truly had a difficult time communicating in northern Scotland. LOL!

Love the character and look forward to his further development.

Ancient 1
August 9th, 2004, 06:29 PM
I mentioned this is another thread, but here goes again: Perhaps this character is related to Dr. Samuel Beckett of "Quantum Leap."

Lucia Tanaka
August 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM
It'd be awesome if as a little in joke, he says something like that. "My entire family is made up of some kind of doctor. Most recent was my cousin Samuel." Or something like that. ^.^

~Lucia

Praxus
August 9th, 2004, 07:09 PM
I'm American and I think every other accent is cooler then American accent, excepting Canadian.

Anthro Girl
August 9th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I'm American and I think every other accent is cooler then American accent, excepting Canadian.
You say that as if we 'merkins don't have accents wildly different from each other! :p Exactly what is an "American" accent, anyway?

(That coming from someone who grew up in the Deep South, spends a lot of time in Coastal New England and currently lives in Ka-li-for-nee-ah...and who loves Beckett's accent) :D

NightGloom
August 10th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Dr. Beckett Rocks! I love his accent too. If you couldn't guess, I'm American (a lot of us have some kind of odd fixation on accents outside of the US).

aschen
August 10th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I think he's a pretty good guy. He keeps his head relatively cool under pressure.

Not like McKay who bugs out all the time over nothing.

NightGloom
August 10th, 2004, 09:30 AM
That's why they should get those two to have conversations with each other, they're like perfect foils.

Thorette
August 10th, 2004, 10:33 AM
I enjoy his accent as well. As for all his video clips having an north american accent - Once a Scot always a Scot!

I spent 8 of my formative years in Virginia. When I moved here to Colorado my friend said I had so much of a southen accent it made her sick! That was quite a few years ago and now very few would even guess I've lived outside the state. But it's VERY easy to put on the accent, or get me 'round a southerner and I'll slip right into the drawl!

Bagpuss
August 10th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Respect Indiana ,and thanks for posting Paul's site info . :D

So,Paisley. :cool: (I thought I recognised his accent as either Paisley,or Cumbernauld !)

Naginata
August 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM
I thought his voice was annoying. I'll get used to it though.

Personally, I love the accent. I've always loved Scottish accents, maybe that's why I want to move to Scotland. But in regards to Beckett, I love the character, he's funny. I hope we'll be able to see a lot more of him in upcoming episodes. And I'd also like to see him made a regular cast member.

Indiana
August 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Respect Indiana ,and thanks for posting Paul's site info . :D

So,Paisley. :cool: (I thought I recognised his accent as either Paisley,or Cumbernauld !)

Are you from Scotland yourself or England?

I know you say on ur Info ur from U.K.

Bagpuss
August 10th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I am indeed a Scot ! :D
Born in Edinburgh .Most of my family still live near Edinburgh,and I've loads of pals from different areas of the Motherland !

I moved to England, as there wasn't much work available in the early 80's .Found work,got married and stayed South. Such is life ! ;)

I'm really glad to see Beckett in SG-A .

Go Scotland ! Oh,yes...go Atlantis too ! :D

Ancient 1
August 11th, 2004, 05:45 PM
It'd be awesome if as a little in joke, he says something like that. "My entire family is made up of some kind of doctor. Most recent was my cousin Samuel." Or something like that. ^.^

~Lucia
Wait for it.....lol

Kliggins
August 12th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I really like the character and hope he gets more air time. He totally cracks me up. I am not sure if McKay is supposed to the humerous character, but I find Dr. Beckett funnier. The accent is great!

aschen
August 12th, 2004, 05:06 AM
I think McKay is like the sarcastic type, whre Beckett is well...he's pretty sarcastic too, isn't he?

greytop
August 12th, 2004, 09:56 AM
I think McKay is like the sarcastic type, whre Beckett is well...he's pretty sarcastic too, isn't he?
They both are sarcastic in their own way.

Thorette
August 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I really like the character and hope he gets more air time. He totally cracks me up. I am not sure if McKay is supposed to the humerous character, but I find Dr. Beckett funnier. The accent is great!

I agree I really enjoy Beckett where McKay just annoys me. :S

NightGloom
August 12th, 2004, 06:55 PM
I like both McKay and Beckett, although I do think Beckett is funnier.

watcher652
August 21st, 2004, 12:06 AM
Interesting that Beckett gets a featured episode before, well, really all the "regular" cast. I really liked "Poisoning the Well." I wonder if Paul McGillion is laying on the Scottish accent a little more for the show or if that's his normal way of speaking.

NightGloom
August 21st, 2004, 08:50 PM
Poisoning the Well was a great Beckett episode! I'm not sure if I get used to the accent or what because sometimes it's really subtle to me, but then it seems really heavy. Like in Poisoning the Well when he was talking about Scotland it seemed heavy. Maybe it was just the subject matter :rolleyes:

NurseRatched
August 22nd, 2004, 04:54 AM
As Scottish accents go, Beckett's is moderate. In Great Britain as a whole, even though it's not a huge country when compared to the United States or Canada, accents can be completely different 50 miles away. Not everyone in Great Britain speaks "BBC English" (like Grodin) - I grew up 75 miles southwest of London and the regional accent was a broad rural one, somewhat similar to the generic one attributed to pirates, but not as broad. (Brits reading this will know what I mean when I describe a "yokel" accent.)

Scottish accents have similar variations. Some are downright incomprehensible - for example urban Glaswegian. I've seen shows on BBC America featuring news interviews with citizens of Glasgow - some required subtitles.

That obscure Scottish proverb stumped me, so I had to actually look it up.

"A bald head is soon shaved" = An easy task is soon completed.

charmedy
August 22nd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Paul Mcgillion (AKA Paul Mcgillion) really should be added to the opening credits, it's a shame that's he not acknowledged that way. Honestly, I look forward to his performance each week, he does have the funniest lines and the accent it really does make my knees weak. Hopefully, next season he will be added as a regular cast member, he deserves it. Thanks.
:)

charmedy
August 22nd, 2004, 07:41 AM
Paul Mcgillion (AKA Paul Mcgillion) really should be added to the opening credits, it's a shame that's he not acknowledged that way. Honestly, I look forward to his performance each week, he does have the funniest lines and the accent it really does make my knees weak. Hopefully, next season he will be added as a regular cast member, he deserves it. Thanks.

NightGloom
August 24th, 2004, 10:21 AM
He should be, but it's probably due to contracts and all that fun legal stuff that he's not currently in the credits. Plus, we don't know how big of a role he'll play in upcoming episodes.

[Hitokiri]Nguyen
August 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
He's still a great character anyway. I think he's a great actor. Very funny.

Major Fischer
August 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM

It's probably a lot like TR and Janet Fraiser. It was contract issues, so unfortunately I think it has little to do with what is and is not 'deserved'.

Bagpuss
August 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM
The contracts may well be relevant,but I liked him in Rising . :)
Frankly,I don't care about the semantics and titles,I just want to see more of Beckett,and of course Paul McGillion. ;)

rihannsu
August 24th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I could not STAND Beckett in Rising. But when he's going about doing his duty as a medical doctor, I find his demeanor and his bedside manner to be just wonderful. He has a gentle, personal touch with his patients. Well except for Mc Kay, and I'd forgive him in a heartbeat for giving him a hard time. ;)

I thought that this week his character just grew by leaps and bounds he was a joy to watch. I hope he develops further.

tina_als_girl
August 24th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Dr. Beckett is my favorite character on Atlantis! (and no, it's not because he shares a surname with the main character of my all-time favorite TV Show)

I love his accent, and I think his humor is great.

I know I'm not the only person out there just waiting for a reference to Quantum Leap. Or at least a reference to the playwright Beckett... Or both.

Joy

2BAM
August 25th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Great character, great acting. A compliment to the cast.

rihannsu
August 25th, 2004, 08:24 PM
I, for one, am waiting until the day Beckett and Mc Kay have "Scots Appreciation Weekend" and come to work in kilts and give us all a nice look at those knees. :D

Drewbert
August 25th, 2004, 08:33 PM
This is kinda funny, but it turns out he played a tiney little role on sg-1, waaaay back in season 1. He was "young ernest" in The torment of tantalus (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/110.shtml) .

Ugly Pig
August 26th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Indeed he did. Sans Scottish accent. :D

Drewbert
August 26th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I wonder what made them choose this guy, who had a tiney role 6 years ago, to be a major role in atlantis?

Ugly Pig
August 26th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Well, it's better than them choosing someone who's had a major role on SG-1. ;)

Liv
August 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM
This is kinda funny, but it turns out he played a tiney little role on sg-1, waaaay back in season 1. He was "young ernest" in The torment of tantalus (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s1/110.shtml) .
I had no idea he was in that. Okay, now I have to go back and watch that episode, just to see him.
Work, work. ;)

sweetsnart
September 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Does anyone know where anything can be found on Paul Mcgillion? I found his personal web site, but I have had trouble finding other sources. I can't even find the movie See Grace Fly that he stars in. He's a great character, I look forward to seeing him in every episode. Let's hope they expand his character! Between the voice and the eyes, I'm hooked! ;)

watcher652
September 20th, 2004, 03:32 PM
If you haven't seen The Storm yet, where have you've been?
s
p
o
i
l
e
r
s
p
a
c
e
h
e
r
e
I think Beckett's refusal to fly back to Atlantis was entirely appropriate. He was thinking of the safety of the people aboard the jumper. Only he knew how well he could fly the jumper, and he obviously didn't think he was capable of flying thru the storm.

Too bad Ford and Teyla were stuck on the mainland just to relate the backstory of the episode to Beckett. I hope there's something good in store for them in the second part of the story. I think Beckett's caution should be rewarded with a crucial contribution in The Eye. Or will he end up staying with the children while Ford and Teyla help Sheppard?

TJuk
October 2nd, 2004, 03:28 AM
::::waves at Indy::: Hi Indy, I've infiltrated the Gateworld boards now!!!!

Does anyone know where anything can be found on Paul Mcgillion? I found his personal web site, but I have had trouble finding other sources. I can't even find the movie See Grace Fly that he stars in. He's a great character, I look forward to seeing him in every episode. Let's hope they expand his character! Between the voice and the eyes, I'm hooked! ;)

Yep, you can go to my up-to-date site, packed with photos, information and much more by clicking my signature banner or going to http://paulmcgillion.tjuk.net

Enjoy!!

TJ :D

Fiddlediva
October 12th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Ok so I only just saw the first episode of Atlantis and thought it was pretty good! As for Dr Beckett...I liked him too! The Scottish flag was a nice touch. The Union Jack thing, well the majority of people outisde Britain who see that flag assume England anyway but maybe he got the choice between that and the English flag. The accent's not bad although it sounds a bit forced but it did get better the more he talked so hopefully it'll just keep getting more natural!

I liked the zed / zee thing! Perhaps Beckett and Mackay can join forces for zed! :)

jantreeuk1
October 12th, 2004, 03:05 PM
The Union Jack is the British flag and some of the cast are wearing this, so it is strange that Beckett wears the St Andrews flag. Paul was born a Scotsman but was brought up in Canada. Bit like Amanda is an Essex girl at heart.
jan t

CultTVGirl
October 14th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I liked the zed / zee thing! Perhaps Beckett and Mackay can join forces for zed! :)

I'm with them. It's definitely zed. :D

I've only seen one episode so far, but I really like Dr Beckett. And I think he and Rodney will make a great double act. Can't wait to see more!

Has Paul McGillion been added to the regular cast yet? I think he deserves a spot on the title credits. :)

NightGloom
October 14th, 2004, 03:51 PM
He should have a spot in the title credits, but it's that nasty contract thing. I think he will become a larger character than Fraiser did in SG-1 though. Maybe in a few seasons...

watcher652
October 14th, 2004, 04:15 PM
He should have a spot in the title credits, but it's that nasty contract thing. I think he will become a larger character than Fraiser did in SG-1 though. Maybe in a few seasons...
Beckett is in one of the first season main cast photos and he does have individual photos, so he's definitely being treated almost like a main cast member. And Beckett had his own episode, too.

Here's hoping for full main cast status soon!

Major Fischer
October 14th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Beckett is in one of the first season main cast photos and he does have individual photos, so he's definitely being treated almost like a main cast member. And Beckett had his own episode, too.

It depends on what the contract states really. I mean, Fraiser got as much character developement as Hammond and didn't make the credits. Unfortunately it all comes down to money.

It is sad that Ford is in the credits and we don't have as much of a sense of him as we do Beckett...

CultTVGirl
October 15th, 2004, 05:52 AM

Maybe we should start a petition... :D

Ugly Pig
October 15th, 2004, 09:29 AM
I think he will become a larger character than Fraiser did in SG-1 though. Maybe in a few seasons...
He already is. At least, I think so... He's been in most episodes aired this far, which was not the case for Fraiser halfway through season 1 of SG-1.

Liv
October 15th, 2004, 09:32 AM
I think of him as a main character already and he definitely should be in the credits. :)

Ugly Pig
October 15th, 2004, 09:34 AM
I think of him as a main character already and he definitely should be in the credits. :)
But then who will they kill off in season 7? :S

Liv
October 15th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Good point. Ah, I'm sure they'll rustle up someone. But at least Carson'll be safe. ;)

Probably.

greytop
October 15th, 2004, 10:27 AM
They may not have to kill anyone the cast off. *crossing fingers for luck*

NightGloom
October 15th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Hopefully they learned the last time that it's bad...

watcher652
October 15th, 2004, 07:41 PM
They can kill off Bates. By that time, although we didn't like his no nonsense security obsession at first, we will have warmed to his character and see that he's not so bad. He just wants everyone to be safe and if that means rubbing some people the wrong way, so be it. So we will feel his loss.

They better not kill off Beckett. Not only is he the head medical doctor, he has the Ancient gene. And a cute accent. ;)

Killing him off would just be wrong on so many levels.

CultTVGirl
October 17th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Okay, so I just rewatched the first episode again. You know the part where they're all getting ready to leave Earth and Dr Weir leaves the tape for her boyfriend, Rodney gives up his cat (sob! :(), Ford says goodbye to his parents, etc?

And then you have Carson being served dinner by his mum! I love that bit - it's so sweet and funny and just sums up the character quite nicely (or what I've seen of him so far anyway).

I don't see how anyone could dislike Carson really, but for some reason he annoys the hell out of my brother! Oh well - he'll come around. Or else. :D

Ugly Pig
October 17th, 2004, 07:05 AM
And then you have Carson being served dinner by his mum! I love that bit - it's so sweet and funny and just sums up the character quite nicely (or what I've seen of him so far anyway).
Heh... I always liked that bit, too. :)

NightGloom
October 17th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I don't see how anyone could dislike Carson really, but for some reason he annoys the hell out of my brother! Oh well - he'll come around. Or else. :D

*GASP!* Maybe he's just jealous... lol :p

watcher652
October 17th, 2004, 09:48 PM
I don't see how anyone could dislike Carson really, but for some reason he annoys the hell out of my brother! I bet it's because of Beckett's accent. You have to actively listen to Beckett to understand him. You can't just pay half attention and understand what he says. That's good, you should concentrate on what the doctor is saying.

CultTVGirl
October 18th, 2004, 02:16 AM
That's good, you should concentrate on what the doctor is saying.

I agree! Though I think my brother might be more interested in what Teyla's saying.... :rolleyes:

NightGloom
October 18th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Teyla says stuff? Hmm... must have been paying attention to Beckett and Sheppard :p

BruTak
October 21st, 2004, 06:13 AM
The Union Jack is the British flag and some of the cast are wearing this, so it is strange that Beckett wears the St Andrews flag. Paul was born a Scotsman but was brought up in Canada. Bit like Amanda is an Essex girl at heart.
jan t

I've long been suspicious that the likes of MGM and Paramount etc. send undercover spies to the major conventions, just in case fans have a brilliant idea for a story or equipment detail (flag patches for example).

How many of you attended Wolf SG-6 last year? How many of you saw the Scottish Stargate team (SG-999) who wore St. Andrews flag patches on their outifts?

Should you wish to learn more about the infamous Team SG-999, kindly point your browser to: www.geocities.com/sg999scotland/home.html

Jillybean
November 3rd, 2004, 12:50 PM
I live very close to Paisley and I think it's brilliant that the Saltire was chosen for Beckett's character, it's very much a testimont to the writers ability to actually research a culture - no one from this area of Scotland would use a Union Jack!

I'm really loving the character - he's so funny, the most grounded of any of the Atlantis characters. Let's swap him for Weir, or Ford, or Teyla, or Sheppard

(Oh and McKay - his name should be pronounced Mak - eye, at least traditionally)

ShadowMaat
November 4th, 2004, 03:10 PM
So I've seen the petition asking that McGillion be made a part of the main cast, I've skimmed over a few posts here, but I still have to ask: WHY?? Why does he have to be a MAIN character? What's wrong with him being recurring? Fraiser was recurring, Hammond was recurring... that didn't diminish their importance to the show, it didn't cut into their fandoms and it certainly didn't make them lesser characters. Beckett has, IMO, been tooling along just fine. Why mess with that? The show is still fairly new, why not let it find its feet and get its own formula down before we go rearranging deck chairs.

I mean, I'm not exactly the world's strongest proponent of TPTB, but let's give them at least a LITTLE credit for knowing what they're doing. The managed to make SG-1 work, didn't they? Balancing all the characters- main AND supporting? I think they can manage to do the same with Atlantis.

Don't get me wrong, I love Beckett, I think he's a really fun character and I look forward to seeing more of him, I just don't see why he has to be a MAIN character. I love him as he is. I don't need to see him in each and every ep, I don't need to see part of every storyline dedicated to him, I just consider it extra special every time we get to see him. :)

NightGloom
November 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM
I don't really know...

Maybe to let him feel more like part of the cast? It's kinda like getting first billing in a play in which you should be one of the last people out. I just see him as one of the better characters on the show and he should be recognized as such, but I see your point as well. We should watch at least till the end of the season to see how his character plays out.

ShadowMaat
November 4th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I love Sgt. Davis on SG-1. No one else says "Chevron seven... locked!" quite the way he does. :D I think he's a great, funny character who always adds that special something extra in his appearances (especially of late) and I love Gary Jones... but I'm not gonna petition to see him be bumped up to main cast, and not just 'cause the show is probably ending this year. ;)

But I digress. Getting top billing just doesn't seem like it should be a top priority. Getting good-quality storyines with strong character development and witty dialogue, that should be a priority, and ya don't need to be a main character for that! ;)

Carson's turn will come 'round again soon enough. And we'll all be there to cheer him on. :D

greytop
November 4th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I'm with Shadow on Beckett on this. I like him just as he is. If he was in the main cast, we would expect him there every week. This way he wouldn't have to be in episode and we can look foward to when he is.

Jillybean
November 5th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Yeah - it's the regularilty that counts. I was never that fond of Frasier or Hammond (I'm shallow, I like the first billed only ;) ), certainly not as fond as I am of Beckett. Still, of all tPTB out there, the SG lot are certainly the most . . . reasonable.

CultTVGirl
November 5th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I don't need to see him in each and every ep

I do. :D

And on another note, I was dreaming about Dr Beckett last night. I was going to be playing Cinderella in pantomime and Beckett was auditioning to play Prince Charming. Of course, I was really rooting for him to get the part!

Although Trip Tucker from Enterprise was auditioning too. Which would also have been nice. ;)

NightGloom
November 5th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I do. :D

And on another note, I was dreaming about Dr Beckett last night. I was going to be playing Cinderella in pantomime and Beckett was auditioning to play Prince Charming. Of course, I was really rooting for him to get the part!

Although Trip Tucker from Enterprise was auditioning too. Which would also have been nice. ;)

Oooo! Nice! Did you hear him talk?

CKO
November 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM
mmmm and why did i totally miss this thread? wish i knew... i love the char of Beckett... meow. He's one fine man.. oh dreams have those all the time... I do love to listen to him talk and let's just say i do love my dreams :) *they be very sensored and with a nice NC17 rating too*

CardassianScot
November 5th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I'm also (originally) from just outside Paisley in Scotland, but the Scottish flag did stick out a bit to me, although it's always great to see it. Officially it should be the Union Flag. However, if given the choice any Scot I know, would rather wear the St Andrew's flag rather than the Union Flag anyway. I'm just surprised that the military would let him get away with it. Maybe, the rules aren't applied as strictly in another galaxy (or Antartica). Still as I said, it's great to see the flag.

watcher652
November 5th, 2004, 04:05 PM
So I've seen the petition asking that McGillion be made a part of the main cast, I've skimmed over a few posts here, but I still have to ask: WHY?? Why does he have to be a MAIN character? What's wrong with him being recurring? Fraiser was recurring, Hammond was recurring... that didn't diminish their importance to the show, it didn't cut into their fandoms and it certainly didn't make them lesser characters.
I was wondering if Hammond or Frasier appeared in any SG-1 season 1 cast photos? Because Beckett appears in one Atlantis cast photo, which goes with his recurring status.

Even though Beckett is a recurring character, he did have his own story already. Did any recurring character on SG-1 have their own story the first season?

lionel_pendergast_rocks
November 5th, 2004, 08:52 PM
i dont think so. season 1 was mostly to get the scene set for the later seasons.

Indiana
November 6th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Beckett wears a Scottish saltire because bottom line he's a Scot. What sticks out to me is why the English are wearing Union Jacks. I'm glad they never stuck a UJ on Beckett. That would really have been a gutter. Scotland is a country. It has a flag. Beckett's nationality is respresented by the Scottish flag. It's so simple.

A note on Hammond. Hammond was MAIN cast. Not in every episode, but he was MAIN cast. His name did appear on the opening titles for seven years. In fact even longer than Michael Shanks. Michael shanks name will be short two appearances over Hammond unless we go nine seasons. However, its not about that anyway. In the end...Hammond was main cast. First billed on the opening titles. All it was is that he was rarely used. only when the time came.

Beckett could become MAIN cast, or not. Either way I'm fine. I see where Shadow is coming from but comparing him to Gary Jones Chevron guy isn't the same thing. He's a character in similar light to Fraiser, but he's become more established at an earlier stage. I'd say Dr. Zelnko is more of a Chevron guy character. As long as Beckett's still in Atlantis I'm happy! If he becomes a MAIN character (billed on the opening titles) then brilliant! Paul mcGillion is a great person and his character is great too! I hear he's in at least 9 of the 10 episodes in the second half of season 1, if not in all of them.

watcher652
November 6th, 2004, 11:35 PM
GateWorld has some new Beckett photos (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/photos02.shtml) up. Two are regular cast photos, and one is a fun shot of Beckett, Teyla and Ford (guess things got a little cozy on the Puddle Jumper in The Storm ;) ). In the trio shot, Beckett and Ford are wearing their uniforms. Although Rachel has on her Teyla wig, I don't know if that's a Teyla outfit.

CultTVGirl
November 7th, 2004, 02:48 AM
GateWorld has some new Beckett photos (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/photos02.shtml) up.

And very nice they are too! :D

*drools*

Indiana
November 7th, 2004, 06:31 AM
I didn't realise Rachel wore a wig for her part as Teyla. You learn something new every day.

watcher652
November 9th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Ok, this is kinda OT, but it's about Scottish accents. I just saw Craig Ferguson guest hosting The Late Late Show on CBS this week. He has the nicest Scottish accent! Ferguson played Drew Carey's boss on The Drew Carey Show. On the show, he had an English accent. Ferguson is from Glascow.

michelleb
November 10th, 2004, 02:10 AM
I met Paul McGillion at SG8. He is gorgeous, I now have a totally new crush. I thought Dr Beckett was wonderful after Poisioning the Well, and now he's pretty much established as my favourite character. I just hope they make him a regular cast member for season two. And I think the banter between him and Rodney is very good! Very amusing.

And the Scottish flag...I'm English, and I think it's right Carson should wear the Scottish flag. If only the English character wore the cross of St George and not the UJ

Daniel's Sister
November 10th, 2004, 08:47 AM
I think that he's kindove cute. And I realy like his accent! ;)

greytop
November 26th, 2004, 05:18 AM
:S Someone tell me if this is true. Is Beckett going to be a major character next season or is he staying recurring? :S

Ugly Pig
November 26th, 2004, 06:20 AM
:S Someone tell me if this is true. Is Beckett going to be a major character next season or is he staying recurring? :S
I would be very surprised if Beckett ever became a regular, for the simple reason that the show doesn't really need a "medical doctor" character in every episode.

unowhoandwhy
November 30th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Actually, Beckett was only supposed to be in 4 or 5 of the shows the first season, but they liked Paul so much they added him into all but one of the last half of the season. They even filmed the scene with his mum long after all the other scenes for Rising had been done.

And, they listed him as one of the "stars" on the official press release abou Season 2, so that is a good sign. A lot of people have written (or at least e-mailed) Bridge Studios about Beckett & how they really like him & want to see him as a regular character.

I was also VERY happy to see that they recognized Paul's gorgeousness & have changed the official cast photos of him from "frumpy ole country doctor" to "Scottish hottie kissing hot alien chick".

DANIquinn
November 30th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I also really love the character of Beckett. So does my best friend. Actually, Beckett is how I got her into Atantis. She didn't watch Stargate SG-1 and was resistant to seeing the new series, but then I told her about Beckett, and well, now she's really into the show. :D Anyway, I don't really care if he becomes a main character or not, just as long as I continue to see him every once in a while :D .

NightGloom
November 30th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Oh well... he's still a main character to me :p

DANIquinn
December 8th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Anyone hear (or read) the news: Paul McGillion has been made a series regular for S2! Which means he should have his name in the opening credits and be in most, if not all, of the episodes. :D

Wass
December 8th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Here is link to read the news, I think it's fab news.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2004/12/mcgillionmadeiatlantisireg.shtml

Ugly Pig
December 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Yes, good for him! I guess he's practically a regular already, might as well make it official. :D I didn't expect it to actually happen, though.

unowhoandwhy
December 8th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Congratulations to Paul! I was hoping this news was coming, especially since they named him as one of the stars. I am so glad that TPTB recognized talent & put him in more episodes than planned (quite a few more, actually). But I am even more enthused that they will be recognizing that talent with a name in the opening credits!

catscan
December 8th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Yay!, he's a deserving character, for sure.

nUMb
December 8th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Hate the man! He should learn to speak! It's common for people to speak alike when they are together for a longer period of time! HE DOESNT! They should replace him, or rather he should die :)

Even that Zelenska guy (or whatever his name is) speaks english better then thi guy!

Jillybean
December 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Yup - Carson's a Scot alright!!! :D

I'm delighted - it's about time we got a decent, intelligent Scottish role model on TV!!! And one who's not so hideously, cringeworthingly stereotypical either!!

ShadowMaat
December 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
numb, it's obvious from your posts that you hate everything about Atlantis, that you will never be able to tolerate anything about it and that you find it flat-out impossible to accept the show and its characters on their own merits because it's just a "knock-off" of SG-1.

With an attitude like that, why are you even posting in the Atlantis folder? You like SG-1? Fine, go ahead and post on the SG-1 topics. The point of this forum is to discuss and debate subjects. You aren't interested in debate where Atlantis is concerned, all you want to do is tell us how much you HATE HATE HATE it. There's no way to argue with that since you'll dismiss anything anyone says and you'll continue to blindly bash everything that gets in the way of your narrow viewpoint.

If you had VALID concerns about the show (something a bit deeper than "it's not SG-1") and if you showed any kind of interest in actually discussing the subject, I'd say more power to you. But pointless mean-spirited yapping accomplishes nothing. Go back to the SG-1 topics and let us enjoy our show without your trolling.

Thanks kindly. :)

(personally, I love Beckett's accent, though I'm not qualified to judge how "good" it is)

nUMb
December 8th, 2004, 02:15 PM
numb, it's obvious from your posts that you hate everything about Atlantis, that you will never be able to tolerate anything about it and that you find it flat-out impossible to accept the show and its characters on their own merits because it's just a "knock-off" of SG-1.

With an attitude like that, why are you even posting in the Atlantis folder? You like SG-1? Fine, go ahead and post on the SG-1 topics. The point of this forum is to discuss and debate subjects. You aren't interested in debate where Atlantis is concerned, all you want to do is tell us how much you HATE HATE HATE it. There's no way to argue with that since you'll dismiss anything anyone says and you'll continue to blindly bash everything that gets in the way of your narrow viewpoint.

If you had VALID concerns about the show (something a bit deeper than "it's not SG-1") and if you showed any kind of interest in actually discussing the subject, I'd say more power to you. But pointless mean-spirited yapping accomplishes nothing. Go back to the SG-1 topics and let us enjoy our show without your trolling.

Thanks kindly. :)

(personally, I love Beckett's accent, though I'm not qualified to judge how "good" it is)

Let me say, i never sad ATLANTIS is not a good show. I just don't like certain characters in the show. But if you want to discuss the esence of each episode, i am more than willing to do that.

This forum is my favorite. i don't post a lot, coz generally i agre with the people who post here. Once again: i posted my oppinion and nothing else! There was nothing personal in the post, just my expression of bad choise!
The show is great, but it could be greater! That is always open for debate!

Cheers!

ShadowMaat
December 8th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Let me say, i never sad ATLANTIS is not a good show.

And from SG-1 and Atlantis renewed (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=199082&postcount=66):

I don't really care for Atlantis!

Copy is never as good as the Original!

There's also a difference between "stating your opinion" and mindlessly bashing someone/something. Do you have any REAL grievances against Beckett or do you simply hate him because he has an accent?

Do you have any ACTUAL complaints about McKay? Or is he just "a jerk"?

You don't even explain WHY you feel the way you do, you just make blanket statements about trivialities and expect that to act as the sum total of your opinion.

Having an accent is punishable by death? Gods help 99% of the people on Earth, if that's the case.

Being a jerk (again, with no explanation as to why) makes you a candidate for Wraith food? Again, a goodly portion of the world would probably supply the Wraith if that were the case.

The watch words of the day, kiddies, are "constructive criticism". :)

CultTVGirl
December 9th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Anyone hear (or read) the news: Paul McGillion has been made a series regular for S2! Which means he should have his name in the opening credits and be in most, if not all, of the episodes. :D

I just saw the news and I think it's fantastic. Can't wait to see more of Paul next season! :)

joanne1138
December 9th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah, for the great news!!! My best friend loves Stargate as much as I do(both sg1 and atlantis) but we can't agree on any favourite characters (She always hates my favourites). Apart from Beckett. That's the one thing we agree on. :D Plus I love his accent, it's nice to listen to. Adds variety.

unowhoandwhy
December 10th, 2004, 04:18 AM
I said it before, but I am going to say it again, "Yay Paul! Congratulations! Way to go!"

:D :) :D :)

greytop
December 10th, 2004, 04:24 AM
I said it before, but I am going to say it again, "Yay Paul! Congratulations! Way to go!"

:D :) :D :)
Ditto and hip-hip-hooray! :) :D

watcher652
December 10th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Ah, good news for the Dr. Carson Beckett character! And congratulations to Paul! I knew this would happen, his character works so well with the others.

And, with Sheppard and/or McKay getting hurt on practically every mission, we were going to see the good doctor in almost every episode anyway.

watcher652
January 9th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Good Heavens! Was I the last post to this thread back in Dec? Gee!

Anyway, I just found out that apparently Paul McGillion had a birthday on Jan 5, the same day as Joe Flanigan. Joe was 38 and Paul was 36. If I could get some independent confirmation, I would appreciate it.

TJuk
January 10th, 2005, 03:30 AM
Yep, Paul's Birthday was January 5th (confirmed by Paul himself), not sure if the age is accurate but the Scottish Daily Mirror reported him as being 35 last year, that would make his birth date 5th Jan 1969.

You can find out info, current news and much more on Paul at http://paulmcgillion.tjuk.net

I'd suggest http://themajor.net to confirm Joe's Birthday but as far as I'm aware thats also correct.

TJ :)

watcher652
January 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Yep, Paul's Birthday was January 5th (confirmed by Paul himself), not sure if the age is accurate but the Scottish Daily Mirror reported him as being 35 last year, that would make his birth date 5th Jan 1969.

Oh, it was last year's Scottish Daily Mirror. No wonder I couldn't find a reference this year. Thanks.

Happy belated birthday to the good Doctor, er, Paul!

greytop
January 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM
While watching The Eye, I was wonder if Beckett had some Welsh blood in him. I have heard that the Welsh love to talk. Or the Scottish love to talk, also.