This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPN WB Merge into CW

Wow i had no idea they were going to do this! I wonder if this will effect some of my shows on the network...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

oh yah, if your wondering how this relates to scifi, well i like to think since Buffy aired on both networks, this may give a better chance of a telemovie! (although im not really a Spike fan)

You can also read an article at thefutoncritic.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

I hope they don't axe Charmed
    sigpic

Comment

A lot people have different opinions on this development. Some say it will impact genre television in negative way because the new network will reach more homes, almost as many homes as the "Big Four." Because of that some think that The CW will emulate the other networks. The others feel exactly opposite on the matter.

Comment

TheWB already tried to 'adult-erize' itself for the past year or so with Related (being a Friends-esque show), Blue Collar (more adult comedy), and many more shows that were recently cancelled (such as Just Legal, or whatever it was).

UPN on the other hand didn't even want to try that (which turned out good for them) because we got Everybody Hates Chris and Veronica Mars. Although a couple good shows came about, i have no idea where UPN was going with the whole 'South Beach' show... What a total waste of money and timeslot.

So as i see it, if the 50 percent of the shows that warner owns of CW will suck, then they will follow the other 50 percent. Unless Warner is stupider than i thought...

Comment

According to zap2it.com, heres hints on what may be shown on the new network.

Monday: UPN's comedy block has been a solid performer there for some time, and we're leaving it mostly intact. The one exception: "Everybody Hates Chris" moves over from Thursday to lead off the night and provide a bigger platform for "All of Us," "Girlfriends" and "Half & Half." "One on One" draws the smallest audience of the current Monday shows, so it's out.

Tuesday: Les Moonves is no dummy, so we're going to take his suggestion and pair "Gilmore Girls" and "Veronica Mars" on this night. We'd be hard-pressed to find a better two-hour block of dramas on network TV.

Wednesday: We start with an unscripted hour -- "America's Next Top Model" in the fall and spring, with "Beauty and the Geek" filling in between cycles. "Pepper Dennis," a WB midseason show, gets the 9 p.m. spot and hopes the reality shows will help it attract viewers the way "Top Model" has helped "Veronica Mars" this year.

Thursday: "Everwood" has held its own this season in a brutally competitive 9 p.m. hour, so it gets to stay put. We have other plans for "Smallville," but we like the idea of superheroes in the 8 p.m. spot. So we're betting on "Aquaman," a pilot from the "Smallville" guys that's been in development at The WB, to survive the transition and put it in the leadoff spot.

Friday: "Smackdown!" has performed pretty well there this year, so we see no reason to move it.

Sunday: This is probably the biggest gamble in our fictional schedule, but we're playing with house money, so who cares? We'll give the 7 p.m. hour to "Reba" and "Out of Sync," the "Odd Couple"-like project in development at UPN. Then it's action night, with "Smallville" at 8 leading into "Supernatural" at 9. This is a tough night, but "Smallville" fans have shown they'll follow the series wherever it goes, and we're hoping some of them then stick around for "Supernatural."
          Sorry Ltcolcarter, i dont think they are expecting to save Charmed with the few UPN shows (that are actually good) coming along, but then again, this is only 'hints'. My only annoyance is that they are keeping some of UPN's comedies (i like Girlfriends and Everybody hates Chris, but the others are just horrible in quality and ratings). Also, i love the match between Gilmore Girls and Veronica Mars) as well as Smallville and Supernatural (i am going to guess this night will attract tons of ladies).

Comment

Well, the new WB/UPN/CBS will soon merge with Timewarner to produce the WB/UPN/CBS/CNN channel, it is only a matter of time. The first second the ratings are not the highest in world history, Microsoft will come along (That is MSNBC I mean) and scoop up to form MS/WB/UPN/CBS/CNN. Obviously Murdoch will never stand for that and we will soon have the "MS/WB/UPN/CBS/CNN/Fox/FX/ABC(ESPN)/Disney channel. After that we will no longer care about TV as we spend all our days at the alter of Murdoch (or Herr Furher Murdoch as some will call him), and thus TV will be but a note in history.

Comment

I'm hoping this will be good news for Veronica Mars.
              "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
              "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

I think it is in a way, because Veronica Mars gets way more critical acclaim than pretty much anything theWB currently has... Hopefully that has some sort of say?

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo
                  I think it is in a way, because Veronica Mars gets way more critical acclaim than pretty much anything theWB currently has... Hopefully that has some sort of say?
                  I think it does and there are other good signs. VM was mentioned in the initial press release among the "assets" for the new station, there have been comments about pairing Gilmore Girls with VM and finally Dawn Ostroff will be in charge of the station. She has reportedly been supportive of VM while it's been on UPN. Hopefully VM gets a third season and then increased ratings due to a larger potential viewership, a more compatible lead-in and the buzz surrounding the new station. Here's to hoping for 4+ seasons.
                  "I would rather have a show that a hundred people need to see than a thousand people like to see." - Joss Whedon
                  "It's strange to have a creation out there: A deeply mutated version of yourself, running loose and screwing everything up. I wonder if this is how parents feel." - Dexter

Comment

Originally posted by AnUbIs2004
                    Well, the new WB/UPN/CBS will soon merge with Timewarner to produce the WB/UPN/CBS/CNN channel, it is only a matter of time. The first second the ratings are not the highest in world history, Microsoft will come along (That is MSNBC I mean) and scoop up to form MS/WB/UPN/CBS/CNN. Obviously Murdoch will never stand for that and we will soon have the "MS/WB/UPN/CBS/CNN/Fox/FX/ABC(ESPN)/Disney channel. After that we will no longer care about TV as we spend all our days at the alter of Murdoch (or Herr Furher Murdoch as some will call him), and thus TV will be but a note in history.
                    Im pretty sure CNN and Fox could never co-exist. And I already dont care about network TV... not sure they could make me care less.
                    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I'm sure there's a downside for this but I'm not seeing it just yet. It certainly seems as though it should mean good things for the shows I like from both networks, namely V Mars, Smallville, and Gilmore Girls. I wholeheartedly agree that V Mars and Gilmore Girls are a great pairing.

The whole merger is just wierd to me... not that the channels don't match, I think they do; but channels merging is just plain strange. One of numerous strange things happening lately.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

At least they will be getting rid of shows that should have never been on the air...

Comment

From a monetary stand point the merger makes sense, both networks are essentially competing for the same demographic and this era when so many cable networks are starting to put out quality programming, its either win the advertising dollars or fold. If both networks can bring together their highest rated shows, then the new network stands a chance of challenging the big 4.
                          What I think will really make a lot of people angry is the shows that are strong on the repsective network but may not make the cut for the new network, which might cause a backlash toward the CW.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative
                            From a monetary stand point the merger makes sense, both networks are essentially competing for the same demographic and this era when so many cable networks are starting to put out quality programming, its either win the advertising dollars or fold. If both networks can bring together their highest rated shows, then the new network stands a chance of challenging the big 4.
                            What I think will really make a lot of people angry is the shows that are strong on the repsective network but may not make the cut for the new network, which might cause a backlash toward the CW.
                            I agree. I know I'm probably in the minority, but I really like Related and it doesn't look like it made the cut. So I'm bummed about that. At least Supernatural made it!!! (yeah, Supernatural! Too bad I'll have to endure Smallville with the insufferable Lana Lang before Supernatural on Sundays)
                            Andromeda Fate
                            Something you need to ask yourself everyday, with every decision - WWMD "What Would McKay Do?"
                            "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you" - Teal'c
                            "Go suck a lemon!" - Carter
                            "Like everyone else, I lived in a house bricked up with seconds and minutes, weekends and New Year's Days, and I never went outside until I died, because there was no other door. Now I know that I could have walked through the walls." - Peter S. Beagle
                            "I hope your apple pie is frickin' worth it!" - Supernatural

Comment

If Buffy and Angel were still around... This would be a good time for Joss Whedon...

At least my prediction when Angel was cancelled was sort of true, theWB will be no more!

Comment

Working...
                              X