• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father's Day (2708/108)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 27
    FATHER'S DAY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2708

The Doctor and Rose return to 1987 and the scene of her father's tragic accident. But when she interferes in the course of events, the monstrous Reapers are unleashed upon the world, and a wedding day turns into a massacre. Even the Doctor is powerless as the human race is devoured.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:21 PM.

After the weakness that was The Long Game, the series shoots high. An unusual time-travel paradox episode, Father's Day puts the focus on Rose's past, and plays with her history. The Doctor is rendered more or less powerless in this story, and it puts all the power to resolve the tale into the capable hands of Pete Tyler. Trying to protect them both doesn't come off for the Doctor, but damn if this isn't a great story. Maybe a little sappy, but an awesome tale.

8/10.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

This ep was good but I didnt like it so much.I guess for me it was too much of a sad love story that was bound to go wrong from the beginnging. Luckily rthe DOctor and The Reapers were the ones that saved this episode from being too bad I give it 7/10
      Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Did anyone notice that young Rose have blue eyes and the older version have brown eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by kiya
          Did anyone notice that young Rose have blue eyes and the older version have brown eyes?
          Yes. In fact, that's the first thing I look for when different actors play the same character.

It seems they go through all the trouble to cast an actor who could pass as a younger or older version of a character, but they invariably have different colored eyes.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by kiya
            Most caucasians have blue eyes for the first 7 months or so of their lives. The baby having blue eyes when the two older versions having brown eyes is completely plausible.
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

More troublesome than the eye colour is that for Rose to be 19 in 2005, the baby in Father's Day is too young to be her in 1987!

In fact, RTD himself has tried to sort it out a little by announcing that Rose was born on April 27 1987, which makes her seem right in Father's Day but means she's only 17 when she joins the Doctor on March 6th 2005! Presumably she's lying about her age because she's worried he won't take her otherwise...

Comment

Just something I thought was funny was Pete's worrying about his hair in the future. And in a little sneak preview for S2
                Spoiler:
                presumably in S2's finale when the duo go to abother reality, Pete is a success by the looks of things, with his own advertising boards and guess what
                Spoiler:
                he's bald, well, partially, down the middle, massively receeded hairline would be a better description, but still!
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I just saw this tonight on Sci-Fi, and really liked it. The paradox of what would happen if the time stream is altered. The Reapers were really cool-looking and creepy. Rose's mom as bossy as ever.

Interesting paradox, of Rose coming in physical contact with her infant self, like a straight string where two points are allowed to touch that shouldn't. A really cool paradox story.
                  "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
                  " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
                  Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Cool ep, sad ending But this seris keeps getting better.
                    Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Sad ending but a realistic one, I think...

When I first saw this I wondered why no companion had ever asked the Doctor to do this before.

Very interesting that this episode is being shown at around the same time as School Reunion in the UK.
                      sigpic
                      "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        Very interesting that this episode is being shown at around the same time as School Reunion in the UK.
                        Were you thinking that
                        Spoiler:
                        the flying creatures in this episode and School Reunion are the same? I had initially thought they were, and last night's episode was some kind of sequel.
                        "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by creed462
                          Cool ep, sad ending But this seris keeps getting better.
                          Yup, I've become a fan of this particular series (season?). DOn't know if I'll continue with the new doctor when this one ends. This doctor has such a great manic quality I don't think it can be duplicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman
                            Were you thinking that
                            Spoiler:
                            the flying creatures in this episode and School Reunion are the same? I had initially thought they were, and last night's episode was some kind of sequel.
                            Not entirely...
                            Spoiler:
                            although superficially they look similar...

My comment was more about the relatively similar emotional feel of the the two episodes.

Originally posted by prion
                            Yup, I've become a fan of this particular series (season?). DOn't know if I'll continue with the new doctor when this one ends. This doctor has such a great manic quality I don't think it can be duplicated.
                            Chris Eccelston was great and I really didn't think he could be replaced. But I'm completely captivated by this new doctor and I think he is far more manic... While he has his detractors, the new Doctor is definitely gaining his share of fans.
                            sigpic
                            "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                              Sad ending but a realistic one, I think...

When I first saw this I wondered why no companion had ever asked the Doctor to do this before.

Nessia(sp) and Tegan asked the Doctor to go back and get Advrik after the ship expolded in Earth Shock
                              Tis No Fool to lose what He can not keep, To gain what he will never Lose

Comment

Working...
                              X