X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technology! In Atlantis

Technology! In Atlantis

Lets take a look of what we have seen so far.

"Mark 2 Stargate", very nice.. impressive. They have taken all egyption out of everything in this episode. all hrogyphs and stone looking stargate. Makes a nice effect (at least this new stargate will have the latest firmware, hehe)

"Puddle Jumpers". Again, very nice the way the hanger is situated above the gate so that they can drop down and be inposition for the gate. I don't know how much automation was involved in John Sheppard piloting of the jumper. I was expecting a big collision when the jumper came back through the gate, must of been some speed. but it just stopped. Cloaking ships are cool. Will we learn how that works and perhaps use it to cloak Atlantis, or does Atlantis already have a cloak. Very low tech inside the jumper, looked more like inside a klingon scout ship than some very advanced race's ship. No flashing lights or nice soft furnishings.

"Consoles". Plastic buttons and lights behind?? is this really they way they want to portray the evolution of technology. Switches and things? hmm, I guess Flairs came back in too. I guess technology going full circle.

"Enegry Iris". Good idea. Could you tell though when the iris was on, I would have to look at the episode again. I dont think there was much of a visual difference. Is there a backup I wonder.

"Auto power on". Made good welcoming effect but we have them now in this day and age. U know where u walk down a corridor and the light turn on and off.

"Walkways and balcony's and stairs", no lifts or anything to take people to other levels. Again very low tech. again, "technology going full circle!"

Still no hand held Anicent weapons found yet. Dont ZPM recharge? I think Naqudada Generators do? do they.

Atlantis is a cool city, doesnt rust. Bulbs work after thousands of years unlike my renault car not working after a few months. hehe.

Anything else I missed in the episode?!

Cliff
    Got computer problems? visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/tech

Living TV's Most Haunted, get the spooks, visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/mosthaunted.

Originally posted by cjp_24
    "Mark 2 Stargate", very nice.. impressive. They have taken all egyption out of everything in this episode. all hrogyphs and stone looking stargate. Makes a nice effect (at least this new stargate will have the latest firmware, hehe)
    Ah, but the question is, if we were to build our own DHD...would we need the latest drivers?

"Consoles". Plastic buttons and lights behind?? is this really they way they want to portray the evolution of technology. Switches and things? hmm, I guess Flairs came back in too. I guess technology going full circle.
    When you're that advanced, I guess function can follow form.

"Enegry Iris". Good idea. Could you tell though when the iris was on, I would have to look at the episode again. I dont think there was much of a visual difference. Is there a backup I wonder.
    Yeh, there was.

Still no hand held Anicent weapons found yet. Dont ZPM recharge? I think Naqudada Generators do? do they.
    Apparently not.

Anything else I missed in the episode?!
    The overwhelmingly cool scene of it rising out of the water. :nod:
    sigpic

Comment

That's mostly what I can think of. I have a few comments to add of my own.

Yes, the DHD and gate controll is "plastic" button operated (well, they're plastic for the set but we don't know what they're made of in the Atlatnis Universe), this was probably done for cross combatability with all of the other DHDs. All of the DHDs are probably push-button so most races can use them, not just the Ancients. Everything else was thought/gene controlled, kind of high-tech, even for us. I think the best thought control I've heard of in real life is a devoce being able to tell the difference between a positive or negative thought, i.e. yes or no. Therefore, I think the thought control stuff is pretty cool and advanced.

I know I can tell when the energy "iris" (is it really an iris any more?) is on or off. It is quite a nice defense mechanism. Maybe the Ancients installed it when they were fighting the Wraith, who knows.

It may be possible ZPMs can recharge, prior to them reaching maximum entropy. McKay's dialog on this made t sound like there was a possibility to do this, but again, it's open to interpretation and I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'd like to see lifts and local transporation devices as well. You'd think with a big city, you might want to get from point A to point B pretty quickly. We haven't seen much of the city yet so I won't rule out the longer range devices (i.e. "subways" or "trams" maybe even "turbolifts" or some sort of elevator). I'd be darned if I had to climb all those steps to the top of the central control tower. It looked high up (but it could have been a messed up perspective).

Yeah, autolight up is kind of basic tech now a days, but again, did the lights turn on for anybody, or just those with the proper gene. I think it was everyone so it may not be too advanced.

In terms of advanced technology (or not goes), there's an old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Obviously, if lights turning on as you aproach works just fine, why change the design. I guess you could try and makeit better, but I think it works fine as is. the light sources seem to last a long time, so that's pretty advanced. That would be funny, having the Atlantis team start searching for replacement lamps... "Dang, this is lamp is only rated for 10W, we need a 20W Ancient lamp to light up the entire hanger bay..." "Now if I were an Ancient, where would I store my spare lamps... or at the very least, where would I build a local hardware store..." "I guess I'd build it over in the comercial distric of Atlantis, Sir" "Fine, I'll just go pull up the zoning ordances of the city from the computer and we'll go see if some Ancient built a Homeless Despot."

I'd definately like to see some Ancient weapons. If all else fails, you could use the laser lighter Teyla had. You could try and burn the Wraith.... if they do burn....

Comment

Hopefully they'll find some really nice stuff. And hopefully they'll revisit Teylas planet now that they aren't living there.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
          Yeah, I'd like to see lifts and local transporation devices as well. You'd think with a big city, you might want to get from point A to point B pretty quickly. We haven't seen much of the city yet so I won't rule out the longer range devices (i.e. "subways" or "trams" maybe even "turbolifts" or some sort of elevator). I'd be darned if I had to climb all those steps to the top of the central control tower. It looked high up (but it could have been a messed up perspective).
          Hmm, I wonder if they will build the sets for more city exploration in time. The bridge of the city was very big and I bet it cost a lot of money (see where your DVD $$ go!). I think Atlantis has so much potential, in a sence more than SG1. We will see a.
          Got computer problems? visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/tech

Living TV's Most Haunted, get the spooks, visit http://theportal.dyndns.org/mosthaunted.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
            They probably have transporters like the asgard or Wraith. But For in-city transportation, I can see them using Rings.
            sigpic

Comment

I'd like to know if anybody has any ideas on how they make a city of that size float.
              The Gamekeeper: "I told you they would ruin everything.
              First, the garden. Next, the entire
              PLANET!!!"

Comment

That's a darn good question, it's got a fild that greatly increases the water tension underneath it? We also don't know how big it is underneath either. I don't know if this belongs here or not, but one of the "spokes" or arms of the Atlantis snowflake pattern is different than the others. It's almost looks like it could be used as a port, but Atlantis isn't always in water, sometimes it can be on land (i.e. Antarctica). This brings up another point, the otupost in Antarctica (according to the opening scene in Rising) looked like it was in the centr of the, before the city took off. There was a hole in the center of the city for the outpost to fit in (I think). Could this outpost work like a sort of landing pad (memmories of pyramid shaped landing pads for Goa'uld ships come to mind)? If I'm off-topic with that, let me know.

Comment

Maybe the base of it is filled with an artifical very lighter than air gas?

Comment

Originally posted by Lostinmyownvoid
                    Maybe the base of it is filled with an artifical very lighter than air gas?
                    Wouldn't a vaccuum work better?

The whole thing probably has some kind of sophisticated device that makes it lighter than it really is. I mean, Prometheus has one, sure the Ancients could have one.
                    sigpic

Comment

Atlantis taking off reminded me of Ra's ship taking off from the movie.

Comment

You know when Atlantis took of from Earth, well a really huge wave came from it, how come? No other ships seemto do this.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                          Atlantis taking off reminded me of Ra's ship taking off from the movie.
                          Thank You!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Replicarter
                            You know when Atlantis took of from Earth, well a really huge wave came from it, how come? No other ships seemto do this.
                            It's a city. It flys through space. It's much bigger than a ship
                            sigpic

Comment

I’ just watched the start of Atlantis again, and I’m confused. When you see the woman looking out over the city behind her is what looks like the outpost and the chair, but, she’s looking out over the city from that room which would mean the outpost it halfway up the city, which cant be right . then on the first shot of Atlantis moving upward, you see a window that’s shaded blue with a small dot looking out, so, is that her in that room? (I’m watching at typing at the same time lol) ok, so the city has taken off, and that window is still there, so that means the outpost is actually like a large tower, that fits right up inside the centre of Atlantis so it would appear that Atlantis does land on outposts, and that the tower base contains all those orange jelly fish.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

Comment

Working...
                              X