This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir's removal - what's the rationale SPOILERS

Bearing in mind that I haven't seen "New Order" or Atlantis, but don't mind being spoiled - what's the rationale for Weir's removal from SGC command, and the return to military control? Didn't the President want to put a "friendly" civilian face on the SGC as a prelude to going public one day? Why the return to General Jack and the boys in blue?

The President thinks Jack would nicely fit into both positions.
    Commanding millitary style AND making a friendly face to public.

Dr. Weird (yes, yes, that typing is still intentional ) states that very nicely when revealing his new job to O'Neill.

It's also stated that she is supposed to run the Atlantis team - so she can't saty in the SGC and someone else HAS to do it - see above

Comment

SPOILER WARNING just to be safe

Experience with international affairs (you can actually make a career out of that major?) and she is leading an international team to Atlantis.

Comment

I think Weir being leader of the Atlantis group is for the best, since it is an international sets of people. They would listen to her, since yah, thats what Weir does.
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I'm going to move this to the Atlantis folder, and put a spoiler heading the title.
          sigpic

Comment

They originally intented to have the doctor/woolsey run the SGC in New Order

Comment

That would have been a bad move. But i love the woosley character.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by Hellcat
                The President thinks Jack would nicely fit into both positions.
                Commanding millitary style AND making a friendly face to public.
                Hmm. So Hammond's face wasn't deemed public-friendly, but Jack's is? I don't follow that. Hammond is about as unthreatening a military face as you'd want to see, an affable teddy bear type (on the surface), who has considerable experience dealing with diplomats and The Brass, and who knows how to be an ambassador for the program.

Jack ... well, he's Jack! No lover of bureaucracy, diplomats, or having to wear a tie. And far more likely to make some sarcastic comment in public that will be misunderstood.

Given that the Prez's thoughts seemed to be that public-friendly = non-military, I can see the rationale of putting Weir out there as the public face, but I can't see any rationale for returning control and public face to the military, and by so doing, preferring Jack over Hammond. Nope, don't see that at all.

Of course, it's all moot - it's done because RDA is still nominally The Star, and has to get his face on screen even with reduced participation, and it's all at the expense of Don Davis, which I can't help thinking is a bit unfair. Hey ho. It just would have been nice to have a bit of logic to the onscreen personnel shuffling.

I'm a fan of Jack, but I'm gonna miss Hammond a lot...

Comment

but Jack O'Neill often makes jokes..
                  The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna miss Hammond too.

And the stuff about Jack I posted was just a rephrase of what Dr. Weird (<- intention) said at the end of "New Order".

Comment

Working...
                    X