This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Threshold

Bad science bugs me, so I do have to admit that the alien signal causing mutations calls for a conscious decision to suspend disbelief. It's not that sound waves can't in principle alter DNA. And it's not that DNA can't in principle carry information that guides behavior. I suspect it's a practical impossibility, and probably guarantees immediate death. (Incidentally, the reemergence of the fractal triskelion on different scales is exactly to be expected of a fractal.)

But it is impossible that human technology, like video cameras, VCRs and laptops can do this! It's even worse than claiming your walkman can be strapped to the bottom of your rowboat to serve as a sonar!

But on the other hand, once you swallow that camel the plotting has pretty consistently held that the alien probe's goal is for its newly minted agents to find a way to recreate, then broadcast the signal, to make more more agents.

The previous episodes however have laid the groundwork for another avenue of attack, by the main army after the shock troops have opened a beachhead so to speak. Namely, biological reproduction between male and female agents.

Notably there are none aboard the Big Horn. The mother exposed to the earlier (failed?) probe killed herself, suggesting her desire to avoid a Fate Worse Than Death at the, uh, hands of the survivor of the father/son struggle.

But, the members of the Threshold team were exposed to part of the signal. Fenway can check somatic cells for mutations easily enough. Clinically, the alien flesh is a neoplasm, that is, a cancer.

But, Fenway can't check reproductive cells so easily, since they will not grow abnormally until actually reproducing! Remember, the show has already established that pre-reproductive age children are not affected. This suggests that the probe's first target is the gonads.

Molly Caffery is the only surviving female known to have been exposed to even part of the signal. No wonder they're after her! Any changes in Lucas' reproductive processes may soon bear fruit. Is this why he was target number two?

And...

Does this mean that a Lucas/Molly 'ship endangers the human race?

pm

Well if the only thing that's needed for the DNA to change is a mixture of sound signals then there's no reason anything able to record and play the required frequencies and signal strengths needed wouldn't alter the DNA.

Comment

Threshold isnt like all the other science fiction series where it all makes perfect scientific sense
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Wow, that was fast.

But yes, you're right that any device that could record the required frequencies and signal strengths would work. The thing is, first, the required frequencies would be the ones with wavelengths on the same order as DNA molecules. Those would be ultrasonic as near as I can tell. I'd try some simple algebra to ballpark it but I don't have the relevant numbers at hand. Plus, there are issues about strength, focus or even hologram wave forms.

My comparison to a walkman serving as a sonar still seems pretty apt. The frequencies from it are just not right for good sonar. And the frequencies recorded for the human ear are just not right for manipulating DNA. Which, come to think of it, lessens the health hazard from movies, TV, radio, telephone and speech considerably! This is good news indeed.

Even so, fudging the science to set up a drama is different from fudging the science to set up the resolution, in my opinion. I'm just too science oriented to let it go unremarked. So far as viewing quality goes, I'm more worried about the serial format (serials just aren't as good in my opinion,) and some trendy twaddle about the need for ruthlessness.

pm

Comment

The sounds in 20-20,000Hz might not be the ones affecting the DNA. The ones in 20-20,000Hz might be a warning signal, or force people to cry in pain to stop them from running away

The Mp3 file-format works by removing all sounds that humans aren't able to pick up, which is why the file size is smaller

Comment

And, wow, I wasn't fast enough. Qasim is right about the low scientific standards in TV scifi. If you're a glass-is-half-full kind of guy, you could say that so far Threshold almost makes perfect sense. That makes it a rare bird indeed.

pm

Comment

Originally posted by plot mechanic
              And, wow, I wasn't fast enough. Qasim is right about the low scientific standards in TV scifi. If you're a glass-is-half-full kind of guy, you could say that so far Threshold almost makes perfect sense. That makes it a rare bird indeed.

pm
              It would be interesting to know whether they did some research for threshold or if the writers just wrote it

The issue of science is interesting because scifi is the genre of tv that the human race can use to reflect on itself and wonder about infinite possibilities

For example Trek would have been completely different without transporters but if you look at the storage requirements, the sensors needed to scan a person on a planet, the issue of transferring just the data or the matter etc, most physicists dont think its possible

I think you would find this book interesting - http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...sics+star+trek
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Wow, again, no way I'm fast enough!

The 20 to 20 000Hz sounds definitely aren't affecting DNA, or a night at the opera would mutate the audience.

The presence of audible sounds for other reasons, or even as an unintentional leakage or side effect is easy for me to accept.

Mp3 format cutting out other frequencies is exactly the sort of thing that I think would prevent human tech from copying and transmitting the alien signal.

Actually, the show is trying to use this lapse as a justification for the incomplete/imperfect effects on humans exposed to the signal. Most notably, the team in the pilot.

pm

Comment

This week's episode went further into the alien signal tech... And apparently human technology can reproduce it, well REALLY high-end technology can.

I like this show
                  sigpic
                  In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Yes, "hyperacoustic generator" sounds pretty high end. Not sure if that really truly means anything, but they are throwing a bone to the scientifically literate. Maybe this is what's called a "retcon," but if it improves the show's logic, retcon away.

Now the agent best suited to recreating the signal is dead. Unless they can finish Lucas' recruitment? On consideration, that looks like the motive for Mapother's attempt to seize Lucas. Basically, it looks to me like the show's setting the groundwork to justify a desperate attack by the agents on Threshold headquarters or desperate attempts to, ah, reproduce with Caffery.

The political chicanery that led to Park's escape was interesting. It was woefully realistic that the head of Homeland Security was a screwup. (The implication that he was ever anything else is excessively generous. Real Indonesian terrorists in a laundromat in Baltimore?) The way the characters dealt with the political strife deliberately eschewed some of the ranker melodrama so popular in other supposedly "gritty" scifi series.

Really like the show? Don't know yet. The show is interesting. (So few are.) For me, a lot depends on caring about characters. Seeing Cavanaugh deny his feelings showed something important about him. He came across then as a person, albeit fictional. Though it may have been too humdrum or mundane for some, it had emotion.

Partly the story was about the Baltimore cop. Her gullibility, indeed, fundamental stupidity may have been a realistic view of people. There's an ambiguity in the characterization that makes me uneasy.

Yet, as a Stargate fan, is it any surprise that I do like the comic touch?

pm

Comment

Wow. I missed Friday's episode, so checked out this thread to see if others were talking about it. I wasn't expecting ... well ... this! I don't know, even if I accept that what you are saying is true (and I cannot dispute it due to lack of information and knowledge, so I'll take your word for it), I have to wonder: why? I mean, if this were any other show (like Alias), would the subject of this thread ever come to be?

I like Threshhold. It is different from all the rest of the bs the networks usually show. It has a better story that Surface (which I also like), and definitely better writing and acting than Invasion (I couldn't even make it through the series premiere). I am choosing not to question all the scientific background associated with the show. Sometimes, just having an entertaining ficticious show to watch is enough for me. Call me small minded, but I just want to be entertained.

Of course, I'm also the type of person who never watches the "how the movie was made" extras on DVDs. I don't care how it was made! I just like the fact that it was! It gives me something to dream about for a while. Who cares if its real? If I wanted reality, I'd watch the news.
                      Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

does anybody watch this? I think its pretty good but I hear they discontinued it in america now its still showing in the UK? cos a new ep was on last night and it wasnt on tv.com.

Comment

Apparently 14 episodes were made but in the US they cancelled it on episode 9. Therefore UK may be able to get hold of the other 5 episodes.
                          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

i've been watching it and think its really good, especially brent spiner, haha, trekkie here!
                            SAM & JACK 4EVER!!

Comment

Yep the UK is getting the new episodes - they dont show on tv.com as that does US airdates only
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X