This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis and Artificial Intelligence

I was thinking it might be pretty cool to have Melia (the hologram lady) as the atlantis A.I, in a similar way as andromeda, i can imagine she would be able to help out with information and control of stuff that they can't figure out yet.

It could start off with mckay or someone finding the software that had been left there to help them but was slightly damaged and left inactive, the A.I could then gradually improve over time as the software reorganises, learns and fixes any corruption, so basically she would become more helpful and more advanced (human like) over time as she learns and helps.

Would be pretty cool!
    Last edited by Magneto; 22 January 2006, 12:51 PM.

Whos Melia

Yeah it'd be pretty cool to have an A.I in atlantis
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

This would be infringing on copyrights for one....

Also, it'd end up getting in arguments with McKay every five minutes!
      "I'm telling you Melia, it's right! See! check these calculations!"
      "I'm sorry Doctor, but you're wrong, if you put that into action, you'll blow up all of Atlantis."
      "Well, we'll just see about that won't we?!"

*Five minutes later, Atlantis has exploded*

The Daedalus comes three days later.
      Hermiod stands at the bridge.

"What the F#^* happend?"

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
        Whos Melia

The hologram lady in Rising and the Ancient lady in 'Before I Sleep'.

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
          Whos Melia

The hologram lady, the one in my sig.

edit: lol fast replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
            The hologram lady in Rising and the Ancient lady in 'Before I Sleep'.
            Originally posted by Magneto
            The hologram lady, the one in my sig.
            My Bad
            The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
              This would be infringing on copyrights for one....

Also, it'd end up getting in arguments with McKay every five minutes!
              "I'm telling you Melia, it's right! See! check these calculations!"
              "I'm sorry Doctor, but you're wrong, if you put that into action, you'll blow up all of Atlantis."
              "Well, we'll just see about that won't we?!"

*Five minutes later, Atlantis has exploded*

The Daedalus comes three days later.
              Hermiod stands at the bridge.

"What the F#^* happend?"
              Lol yeah it would be great, lots of comical possibility, i can also imagine mckay having a thing for her even though she's just a hologram!

I don't think something like that can be copyrighted, especially if she only appears in the hologram room and on display screens.

Comment

I like the idea- especially if its just confined to certain rooms such as the holoroom.
                Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

i really love this idea! i had the idea of altnatis sentience ages ago, this is such an improvment, green lots...love that idea...i bet after a 2nd ZPM get installed shell kick in.
                  sigpic
                  You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                  Stargate : Genesis |
                  Original Starship DesignThread
                  Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                  11000! green me

Comment

I want to see Melia again too
                    but not as AI!!

Comment

A ship with Sentience? Manifesting itself as a hologram ( or Robot)?

Now, I didn't watch it much but.......doesn't that sound a bit like Andromeda?
                      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz
                        I like the idea- especially if its just confined to certain rooms such as the holoroom.
                        Yeah i think that would be best, she could show her face on screens and speak over the comm as well maybe.

Originally posted by immhotep
                        i really love this idea! i had the idea of altnatis sentience ages ago, this is such an improvment, green lots...love that idea...i bet after a 2nd ZPM get installed shell kick in.
                        Thanks, i know its not really original but i still think it would be nice to see her return in this form, i think it could add a lot to the show.

Originally posted by Heaven
                        I want to see Melia again too
                        but not as AI!!
                        Probably the only realistic way we would ever see her again, unless shes made more recordings in the holoroom for us to see.

Originally posted by jazz!
                        A ship with Sentience? Manifesting itself as a hologram ( or Robot)?

Now, I didn't watch it much but.......doesn't that sound a bit like Andromeda?
                        Yes I know, we all know lol, i even said so in my original post.

Would still be cool though, as long as its not over done and is confined to the holoroom, screens and speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by Magneto
                          Yes I know, we all know lol, i even said so in my original post.

Would still be cool though, as long as its not over done and is confined to the holoroom, screens and speakers.
                          oops

Anywho......

The Ancients arehave messed about with some insanely crazy concepts , so AI must have been their early projects......Ancient tech, to date, shows no evidence of AI

...maybe it would be cool to see AI/Melia as a failsafe program when something critical ocurrs to Atlantis...say a battle? or as a contigency plan (program)

...however, seeing as AI hasn't been seen on Atlantis so far it could mean that it is:
                          relatively redundant / requires more resources or just yet to be discovered
                          Last edited by jazz!; 22 January 2006, 10:11 AM.
                          It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I've had this idea for a while, it was shotdown for some reason... probably because Melia went back through the gate to earth. However I still think that she was on the atlantis council whilst being young (for an ancient), so she probably developed the AI and then modeled the personality on herself. So while the real Melia went to earth, the digital melia went into hibernation.

Comment

The concept of a "free-roaming holographic AI" isn't just limited to andromeda, an earlier depiction occurs in the british sci-fi comedy "Red Dwarf" which featured a holographic simulation of a dead guy as one of its main characters... long story.

so i don't think there will be that much copyright infringment.

Personally i'd love to see Melia return, but not as an interactive AI with access to all the ancient knowledge, i think it might hurt the storyline because it would be too easy.

Weir: Where do we get, or how do we make more ZPMs?
                              Sheppard: How do we make more drones?
                              Mckay: how do we build stargates?
                              Beckett: How do i use the ancient medical devices?
                              Ronin: "How do we defeat the wraith?"
                              Codwell: What kind of weapons can we build and how?

Melia: What do i look like? santas clause?

Mckay: ... How do i take off your clothes?

Half the fun of the series is watching the team figure out how to use the technology and realizing they don't have second chances if they break it. Sometimes they run in monumentally dangerous things like the Hot Zone virus. Makes for more storyline in my opinion if they didn't have an easy to use encyclopedia of the ancients.

Although the AI storyline might work more if it was an Infant/prototype AI. Designed and built but not fully programmed with all the knowledge of the ancients. The ancients that built it may have shelved the project because the wraith war broke out or simply because they wanted to spend more time designing it.

It could look and talk like Melia but have no ancient knowledge. Might be fun if its human knowledge was limited as well and the team has to spend their time teaching it how to grow up but also realizing it can't experience the same things a human because its an AI.

Might be hilarious if the builder of the AI was actually an ancient that had the hots for Melia and the AI personality reflects his/her own idealized conception of her...

oh well. i'm getting off topic.
                              Last edited by Alexein; 22 January 2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X