X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update on my Stargate obsession

Good evening, everyone...

Well, my new SG friends, I've disregarded my bank account and common sense, and have heretofore viewed the first three seasons of SG1.

Coming to Stargate, I have been a huge B5 and TREK fan, as well as a fan of the original Outer Limits, the 2001 series, and the Planet of the Apes series (among others).

What amazes me is how different Stargate feels than most other Science Fiction. At any rate, I hope to get seasons 4/5/6 on Thursday evening.

I did manage to get a local sports bar in Chicago to air Stargate Atlantis for me, but there was so much noise that I really couldn't hear much. Oh well. Par for the course.

Rob+
    Father Robert Lyons, SST

http://www.stellarcross.org

Umm...
    ...good for you?
    *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
    McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Hehe, i share your obsession Although i wouldn't watch Atlantis in a bar, because of yah, the whole talking talking, haha...
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

As a Trek and Planet Of The Apes (the old series ) fan, I know what you talkin about, it does feel different! it's really sad that you didn't really get to see Atlantis, I hope you'll find some way to watch it agian! And I'm jeloust that you got the DVDs, I want those for my BIRTHDAY!!!

Comment

Fully understandable.

I'm a big StarTrek and B5 fan as well - Stargate is so different in so many ways.
          First thing is it's playing "now" in our time, nah it's simply great.

I have season 1 - 7 and the bigscreen movie here in my shelf and I'll definately will get my hand on S8 and Atlantis once the are released

Comment

Originally posted by FatherRob
            At any rate, I hope to get seasons 4/5/6 on Thursday evening.
            Now THAT'S ambitious!! Hope you're still conscious by Friday!

I agree...Stargate SG-1 is different than most scifi. The fact that it isn't futuristic and it doesn't take itself too seriously are big plusses for me. I hope you find a way to see the Atlantis premiere without the sports bar atmosphere.
            Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
            O'Neill: Who doesn't?
            - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
            - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
            once done, cannot be undone...
            brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by Anthro Girl
              [...] and it doesn't take itself too seriously [..]
              Well yeah, that are not really taking them very serious
              They are constantly making fun of themselfes, best example: "Wormhole Extreme", the 100th epsisode

And yet nicely placed between the lines they are joking at themself, damn I love this <thumbsup>
              (second quote in your sig is a very nice example for this too, BTW )

Comment

If only i could afford both the stargate DVDs and my new hobby!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                  If only i could afford both the stargate DVDs and my new hobby!
                  BTW: What's your new hobby? Is it building life-size stargate that move and/or light up?!

I know I can't afford allot the DVDs yet... it's been a toss up between B5 and SG-1. So far, I'm concentrating on Stargate, starting witht he movie. Arg, those school loans look sooo high when compared to my income....

Comment

Spammin these forums and proposing to me is his hobbies.

He's giving me gifts nonstop.

Comment

Oh.

I'm trying to automate my room.

The lights, A/C, etc.

You know, this stuff ain't cheap. A PIC16C745 is like $11.....
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FatherRob
                        Well, my new SG friends, I've disregarded my bank account and common sense, and have heretofore viewed the first three seasons of SG1.

Coming to Stargate, I have been a huge B5 and TREK fan, as well as a fan of the original Outer Limits, the 2001 series, and the Planet of the Apes series (among others).

What amazes me is how different Stargate feels than most other Science Fiction. At any rate, I hope to get seasons 4/5/6 on Thursday evening.
                        I know what you mean, being a recent convert to SG-1, being a long-standing Trek Fan ever since TNG's pilot (and for the record, I do watch Enterprise), and trying to catch up on Farscape as well, but that's for another thread somewhere.

I just did the same thing for the first three seasons of SG-1, and should have three seasons within two weeks max. (Seasons 2 and 3 are being shipped to me, since I got a great deal on them.) I am also looking for a good deal for Season 4 in my local area, but it's taking time. (Probably since Season 4 is the first chocked with special features. )
                        I am on a mission to acquire the SG-1 DVDs, since I wish to know all about this great universe...

I have the original movie and Season 1 on DVD.

Update: I also have Seasons 2 and 3 on DVD.

I have seen the light! Please help me learn more!

Comment

The first seasons also had specials.... at least here in Germany....

And yes, I HAVE THEM ALL Movie and season 1 - 7

Comment

Welcome to GateWorld, Father Rob!
                            (From a fellow Hoosier.)

Did you manage to see Atlantis for real?

I can't explain the draw of Stargate, really. Though I certainly agree with what's been posted here. In short, while I'd never argue that it's the greatest show ever made, it sure has drawn me in. The fan connections have helped cement that, for sure.

So, welcome--and I say: Obsess away!
                            "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
                            "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
                            "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
                            --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

Working...
                            X