PDA

View Full Version : Gateworld.net and the Rumored New Site Design

FatalDreams
January 20th, 2006, 08:23 AM
It was mentioned about a month ago that some changes to the website will be heading our way.
I was wondering when are we going to see these changes? :)

IMO, gateworld has sticked to its current design for quite a while (since the beginning? Correct me if I am wrong...).
Time for a change...

Oh yeah, I've been lurking around here for some time now, but now I've registered. :)
Hi all!

These smilies must go. :( ugh.

Stricken
January 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Nope it hasn't, read the History which should be linked to on the front page :D

These smilies must go. ugh.
Yet you have used them in your post !!

The Signal
January 20th, 2006, 10:03 AM
*Rubs eyes* A new member who's first act WASNT "I have an idea about the ninth chevron/furlings" Say it aint so! FatalDreams, welcome to the forum and thank you for giving me hope :D

There is a site where you can see how old websites looked way back when, i checked Gateworld out, it was pretty cool! Cant wait to see how the new look will, erm well, look :P

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
January 20th, 2006, 11:31 AM
There is a site where you can see how old websites looked way back when, i checked Gateworld out, it was pretty cool! Cant wait to see how the new look will, erm well, look :P
http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

That's the link.

Darren
January 20th, 2006, 09:18 PM
This is probably our third major design in six years. We've also done some incremental but significant changes over the years.

There is a major, site-wide redesign in the very earliest of stages. It may or may not be completed in 2006 -- too early to tell.

FatalDreams
January 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM
All I ask is that you'll go the the XHTML/CSS way and follow the W3C standards...
It will only benefit you, and your users.

Commander Ivanova
January 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM
I've visited several forums and I like the design and operation of this one. Don't mess around with it too much!

AGateFan
January 21st, 2006, 04:32 AM
I've visited several forums and I like the design and operation of this one. Don't mess around with it too much!
I second this.

sueKay
January 21st, 2006, 05:42 AM
I like the site the way it is :)

Whistler
January 21st, 2006, 06:29 AM
I like the site the way it is too, but I'm never one to object to a snazzy new look. You could say this design has had a ton of stuff cramed in it that might deserve their own tabs (like the blogs for instance). I look forward to it if it's in the works!! :cool:

SimilarCadence
January 21st, 2006, 08:04 AM
I second this.

I third it....

FatalDreams
January 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM
The current design is defintely a good one... However, the amount of information that is now stored and displayed to the user is more than in the past.

Better sectioning and a more useful use of the screen real estate could be a nice touch as it'll actually free up some space and not be as cramped as it is now.

And please, while at it, replace the <mod snip> smilies of this forum! :(

The Signal
January 21st, 2006, 08:30 AM

I thought Darren meant the site, not the forum, but I may be wrong. And FatalDreams, they are the basic V-Bulletin smilies, and there are other smilies, you just need to learn how to use them

FatalDreams
January 22nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Hm, something else I have noticed (which is quite amusing).
There are <i> tags in the browser title! what the heck...

LORD MONK
January 23rd, 2006, 11:47 AM
It was mentioned about a month ago that some changes to the website will be heading our way.
I was wondering when are we going to see these changes? :)

IMO, gateworld has sticked to its current design for quite a while (since the beginning? Correct me if I am wrong...).
Time for a change...

Oh yeah, I've been lurking around here for some time now, but now I've registered. :)
Hi all!

These smilies must go. :( ugh.
NNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

They have changed. Everytime they change I can't view. When they change they upgrade and when they upgrade my MSNTV doen't work anymore. Then I have to complain with the MSNTV Tech. guys and then I have to wait for my upgrade then I get it and then Gateworld changes again.

KillerMercury
January 25th, 2006, 04:35 AM
I third it....

I fourth!

Elite Anubis Guard
January 28th, 2006, 04:53 AM
I was wondering if you'd be kind enough to post up screenshots for ths new design, so you can get out opinions on it?

Darren
January 30th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I'll consider it when we reach that stage, but I generally don't find "design by committee" to be extremely helpful. We'll see 101 differing opinions from 100 people; then when the redesign is done we'll be subject to a slew of "That other design was better" and "You shoulda done it this way" commentary.

More likely what I would do is put together a little focus group with a limited number of interested people.

Willow'sCat
January 30th, 2006, 09:52 PM
More likely what I would do is put together a little focus group with a limited number of interested people.I can live with that, like I have a choice. ;)

Um, any chance these changes might involve allowing larger avatars? GW is the only forum I am personally aware of that has a 65 by 60 limit. It makes resizing avatars that others make (like on LJ) hard. Just a thought. ;) Of course that might be a bandwidth thing for all I know but they seem a little on the small size.

Darren
January 30th, 2006, 11:10 PM
There are no plans to redesign the forum this year. By "GateWorld" I mean the main site, http://www.gateworld.net/.

Qasim
January 31st, 2006, 07:15 AM
In terms of resizing avatars you usually get a better effect if you constrain it i.e. resize to 60x60 as opposed to 65x60 from 100x100

FatalDreams
January 31st, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm up for a focus group. :D
(God, these smilies must go, did I mention this already? :))

Wallpaperman
January 31st, 2006, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I'm working on it. I already did a first draft. But be sure that you will like it.
Of course it's impossible to satisfy 100% of the people.
But I'll do something with the best graphics and simple in the same time.
Simplicity isn't always the easier to do. Much work on simplicity.

You can have an idea on my projects by looking at the new banners:
http://www.gateworld.net/linktous.shtml

Willow'sCat
January 31st, 2006, 11:33 PM
In terms of resizing avatars you usually get a better effect if you constrain it i.e. resize to 60x60 as opposed to 65x60 from 100x100Yes but the text doesn't resize well, and you usually can't read it because it is so small anyway. :D

There are no plans to redesign the forum this year. By "GateWorld" I mean the main site, http://www.gateworld.net/.
I did think that was what you meant but I live in hope. ;) False hope, but hope none the less.

Is this a purely cosmetic thing then?

Elite Anubis Guard
February 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't mind being on the group that passes ideas on the layout.

Darren
February 1st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Not purely cosmetic, nope. We're also rethinking about the sections into which content is divide (i.e. architecture) and how new material is presented on the home page, and elsewhere. It will be a substantial change to what you are used to.

Nathan
February 2nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Not purely cosmetic, nope. We're also rethinking about the sections into which content is divide (i.e. architecture) and how new material is presented on the home page, and elsewhere. It will be a substantial change to what you are used to.
Joomla ;) That's what you need :p

Darren
February 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah, that's what they all say ... ;)

Nathan
February 2nd, 2006, 08:05 PM
No seriously. Since we last spoke about it, I have learnt so much on it. If you want to see a small part of how it can make a site look, let me know or alternatively take a look at that site I have that is not listed in my signature. That is running on joomla

startrekempress
February 9th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Hm, something else I have noticed (which is quite amusing).
There are <i> tags in the browser title! what the heck...

I believe this is a result of directly copying the article title as the page title. <i> tags are of course standard html, but html doesn't work in page titles. (This same process gives us the reallylongfilename.html issue. I think.)

Just my 2c.

~Sarah

(And for heaven's sake, stop complaining about the smilies. If you don't like them, make your own. It's not really that complicated.)

The Signal
February 9th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Hi,

I'm working on it. I already did a first draft. But be sure that you will like it.
Of course it's impossible to satisfy 100% of the people.
But I'll do something with the best graphics and simple in the same time.
Simplicity isn't always the easier to do. Much work on simplicity.

You can have an idea on my projects by looking at the new banners:
http://www.gateworld.net/linktous.shtml
gotta say im loving the banners, especially the first 10, the 22nd and 25, others are great too, but those ones are something fantastic!:D

Wallpaperman
February 9th, 2006, 12:07 PM
gotta say im loving the banners, especially the first 10, the 22nd and 25, others are great too, but those ones are something fantastic!:D
Yes, the first 10 are mine, not the other ones.