This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F-302 Hyperdrive

After the star wars-like attack on anubis's mothership (7x01 Fallen), did the SGC use short-range naquadria hyperdrives in the new f-302's?
    Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

The prototype had the engine, but I believe since the engine doesn't actually work as intended, that they didn't put them in the production F-302s.
    "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

I kind of like the idea of just they burst drives on the fighters I dont know, i just dont think little fighters need hyperdrives
      ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

The only reason i can see the F-302's having hyperdrives is to be able to run if they get into trouble or for suprise attacks. But if you want to attack it is much easier and you get more firepower by using the Prometheus or Deadalus as a carrier.

Comment

Well I imagine most of them do not have it. However I imagine there some that do. they could definately could come in handy. Here is an example. The deadalus is being attacked by wraith cruiser.We know that if fire missles at it how far the deadalus is from it mostly likely by shot down before it hits the wraith cruiser. Rails guns do not seem to cause enough damage to wraith cruiser before especially when there is 2 of them before our shields start failing. Well we have missiles and bombs that could some decent damage to wraith cruiser(or at least alot more than rail guns would) that can be mounted on an f302. The deadalus is close enough fire it's rails guns at the cruiser and far away it missles would get intercepter.The deadalus launched an f302 with an hyperdrive. The f302 makes a hyperdrive jump close the wraith cruiser so it fire could some anti capital ship missiles at it with a good chance of it not being intercepted (might need to fly a few seconds to get closer). The f302 fires it anti capital ship missiles at wraith cruiser. The f302 then enters hyperspace to avoid fire from wraith ship and avoid pontenial damage our missles we just launched when they explode. The missles hit target and cause decent damage to the wraith cruiser. The deadalus can now finish the wraith cruiser with its weapons before the deadalus shields are down.
          http://www.stargatetechworld.com/gif...f302launch.gif

Comment

the idea of hyperdrives on fighters is lame just an example of american arrogence. anyway the hyperdrive is not needed

edit: second sentence

anyway i stand by my statement freedom of speech and so forth
            Last edited by NakedJehutyV2; 21 January 2006, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
              the idea of hyperdrives on fighters is lame just an example of american arrogence. it's not needed
              But then you could say that all your ships are fitted with hyperdrive, just to scare an enemy.
              jburrows has a point, but the hyperdrive engines on the X-302 were an experimental feature, and to my understanding, didn't do what they thought it would. I suspect they canned the idea

Comment

rightfully so eh?

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                  But then you could say that all your ships are fitted with hyperdrive, just to scare an enemy.
                  should elaborate a bit on that. The USA could be threatened by a nation with 1 atomic weapon. But the USA has 100's of them. Its the fright of what happens if its used that keeps them trying to stop nuclear weapon programs in other countries

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                    the idea of hyperdrives on fighters is lame just an example of american arrogence. it's not needed
                    I'll ignore the snide part of your commment as it has no place here. As to your opinion that a hyperdrive is not needed on an F-302, that is technically true. A hyperdrive generally won't help an F-302 in most fights. However, a hyperdrive on F-302's would give them a significant tactical advantage. Someone mentioned that hyperdrive capable F-302's could retreat or ambush without the aid of mothership. That is a valueable ability because it takes time to launch and/or retrieve fighters. If your mothership is taking on damage and needs to retreat, having hyperdrive equiped fighters would allow the ship to jump out of the battle zone, and its fighters could follow later. Or perhaps you need to gain some intelligence, but sending in a mothership would be too noticeable. A single fighter could potentially jump in un-noticed, hide, and gather valueable intel to take back. A small fighter would not likely have the range or speed of mothership in hyperspace, but the ability would make it quite useful.

I could easily see the next generation of Earth spacefighters being made hyperdrive capable. I myself imagined that an F-304 might have Deathglider Anti-Inertial drives (like the X-301), Shields, a Rail-gun, and a working (even if limited) hyperdrive engine. I agree that the production F-302 probably lacks the hyperdrive possessed by the X-302, but I also think it is a concept worth pursuing. As I said, I agree with NakedJehutyV2 that a hyperdrive isn't (technically) needed to make the F-302 an effective ship, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be very useful. To think it wouldn't be useful simply shows a lack of imagination on the part of the specific opinion holder... not the arrogance of those who do.
                    The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                    Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                    My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                    Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

the F-302 has hyperdrive
                      Originally posted by Omnipedia

Like its predecessor, the F-302 cannot sustain a hyperspace conduit for any extended period of time, due to the instability of naquadria, used to power the hyperspace engine. But, also like its predecessor, it is capable of short bursts at hyperspace, covering several kilometers in an instant.

Fallen - Determined to destroy Anubis's super-weapon, the F-302 is sent into orbit of Vis Uban where it successfully targets a ventilation shaft on his mothership, destroying its ability to fire, after a hyperspace jump that bypasses the mothership's shields.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                        the F-302 has hyperdrive
                        Maybe. The Omnipedia is not infallible.
                        The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                        Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                        My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                        Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

The X-302's hyperspeed was just 10c. That's hardly enough to do raids and surprise attacks, and it isn't enough to allow motherships to retreat any great distance.

I'd rather see a shield then a hyperdrive on the F-302s. Atleast then they will always have some use with the extra power. Or one could equip more "air-to-air" missiles in an internal bay, or a turreted railgun.

A fighter I'd like to see is a F-302B with Inertial engines, dual staff cannons where the air intakes are now, belly-mounted turreted railgun, more hard points/pylons for missiles. and a shield generator instead of the possible hyperdrive.

Kiss kiss.
                          Nuby

Comment

Actually you could use some bigger ship to get them close and then just send in the F-302's, but as i said you get more firepower if you bring in the Prometheus also.

And why do they don't remove the jet engine and put in an extra ion engine instead? It would increase speed, and i don't know how big an ion engine is, but wouldn't you get exta room for weapons to?
                            Last edited by AscendedWarrior; 21 January 2006, 10:25 AM.

Comment

According to the omnipedia the F-302 (so the productionmodel) has a hyperdrive engine. That would be good because we know the hyperdrive is capable of a short time in hyperspace. A couple seconds in hyperspace brings you much further then the normal engines. You can't say that isn't handy in battles.

Comment

Working...
                              X