This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theory About Sumner SPOILERS for Rising

I just watched the first Atlantis episode again, and I have a completely new theory about the "mercy killing" incident that I would like to share with everyone. (and if this works, I'm almost tempted to give Rising a 9.5 or 10 out of 10 stars, but that's just me... ) Please read everything I have to say, and remember that this thread is not here for us to debate over the morality "mercy killing". If that's what you want to do, please start your own thread, and I'll be more than happy to join in if I get a chance.

New Theory:
    -John Sheppard did not intentionally kill Sumner.

Reasons: (Sorry, these aren't the shortest explanations... )

-Sheppard's character has already been established with having a strong sense of morality: (<gateworld.net/atlantis/characters>: "...He distrusts authority and always goes with his gut, letting his strong sense of common sense morality lead his actions....")

-He was on a rescue mission, and he said multiple times that he would do everything he could to try and save Sumner, and that they weren't leaving without him, etc... (So, it seems pointless to just kill the person you're trying to save.)

-He just finished having an argument with Weir about doing the right thing, no matter what the consequences. (..."And how do you know that going out there won't bring the Wraith right here, back to our doorstep?" "Maybe it will, but it's the right thing to do. Why? Because it's the right thing to do."...)

-He saw how quickly this was happening to Sumner, and he knew that there clearly wasn't enough time to get down to that room before Sumner was dead.

-He fired on the Wraith multiple times when he saw that she was killing Sumner, and then at the guards. I believe he also hit some of these guards in the head with bullets, and they still recovered from their injuries very quickly.

-After seeing that the Wraith still wouldn't stop killing Sumner even after being shot at (in fact she only worked faster - she was clearly gaining something important from doing this, and was almost finished), he knew that right now the most important thing was to simply get her off of Sumner as quickly as possible.

-Still unsure of what the Wraith was still capable of doing (this is, after all, his first encounter with them), he fired a SINGLE shot directly into the Wraith's hand that was locked onto Sumner's chest. Notice that if his intention had been to simply kill Sumner, he could have aimed at either Sumner's head or heart (which he didn't), or even fired upon him multiple times. If Sumner had been in better health, a bullet to that part of the body might have even been able to be removed later, etc... It was not necessarily a fatal shot, and the "cause of death" in an autopsy would most likely confirm this.

-So many of the specific details were unknowable to Sheppard at the time. If he was lucky, his bullet might not have even passed through the Wraith's semi-armored hand, and could have simply harmed the Wraith enough to make her stop. He has absolutely no idea as to what could happen. (And Sumner clearly did NOT signal anyone to shoot him. He was definitely on the verge of losing consciousness, and most likely wasn't even aware that Sheppard was there.)

-When the Wraith was shot in the hand, she did not stop just because Sumner had been shot. It probably wouldn't even matter to her if he was wounded or not. She dropped Sumner and immediately began howling about her hand, not the nearly-if-not-entirely dead body on the ground. Sheppard's plan was almost entirely successful.

-Sheppard was simply using his best judgment to work in an extreme situation. As long as his goal was trying to save Sumner, or at least not intentionally kill him (which I believe there is plenty of evidence to suggest), there is absolutely nothing immoral about doing the best you can when so many of the factors are unknowable/extreme/immediate at the time. Sheppard took an acceptable risk in his last desperate attempt to save Sumner, but Sumner's death was simply an unfortunate side effect, not an intentional murder.

-Sheppard did feel bad about this at the end, because I think he knew that if he had had more time/knowledge/etc..., there might have been other ways for him to still have successfully saved Sumner (and he is right), but given the incredible situation, he still did the best that he could manage, which is nothing to feel bad about. Hopefully, he will take this as an important lesson, and we will see some good character development throughout the series.

Wow. OK, I'm done typing (and thinking ). So what does everyone else think about my not-so-little theory/solution? Tell me what you think about it, how probable you think it is, or why you disagree, etc...
    And let's try to keep on topic for at least most of the time...
    Last edited by puddlejumper747; 19 July 2004, 03:21 PM.
    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

So you decided to post it.

A very good theory, even though I don't agree

Comment

You make a convincing arguement.... You may have a point here...
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

You might wanna change the topic though, it's "a bit" spoilerish

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
          -Still unsure of what the Wraith was still capable of doing (this is, after all, his first encounter with them), he fired a SINGLE shot directly into the Wraith's hand that was locked onto Sumner's chest. Notice that if his intention had been to simply kill Sumner, he could have aimed at either Sumner's head or heart (which he didn't), or even fired upon him multiple times. If Sumner had been in better health, a bullet to that part of the body might have even been able to be removed later, etc... It was not necessarily a fatal shot, and the "cause of death" in an autopsy would most likely confirm this.
          Yeah, with his military training and familiarity with standard issue weapons, he knew the shot wouldn't 'kill' Sumner if he aimed for the hand OVER HIS HEART. Face it, he was shooting to kill.
          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Sheppard killed Summner so that Sumner would not suffer from Wraith! IT'S THAT SIMPLE!!! It's kinda taken form all the other movies/seriese, and amry stories. But that's what Navy/Seals/etc suposedly do! You better kill your parter then let him suffer in enemy hands! And just by the wait Sheppard shot Wraith to pi** her off he probably new that shot in the chest would kill fast....it's the shot in the stomach that herst like a b**ch

Comment

This thread is starting off in a positive way for you PuddleJumper

Comment

aAnubiSs could you pls stop spamming?!

Comment

I don't spam.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                    Yeah, with his military training and familiarity with standard issue weapons, he knew the shot wouldn't 'kill' Sumner if he aimed for the hand OVER HIS HEART. Face it, he was shooting to kill.
                    I taped the episode, and watched this scene several times, and examined almost every detail (character reactions/emotions and actual events) as completely as I could. And I am STILL not convinced that the Wraith had her hand directly over his heart. It was very hard to tell, but I am almost positive it was too far center and low to be DIRECTLY over his heart. Much closer to a lung, or something else. And even if it was very close, that does not change my argument.
                    Please continue...
                    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

I have watched the scene on my pvr several times to be sure and am pretty sure I saw Sumner nod to Sheppard to acknowledge that he should do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rukkian
                        I have watched the scene on my pvr several times to be sure and am pretty sure I saw Sumner nod to Sheppard to acknowledge that he should do it.
                        Actually yes, i think , he had done that! That just proves my point. And makes me give Rising 10 out of 10!

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747
                          I taped the episode, and watched this scene several times, and examined almost every detail (character reactions/emotions and actual events) as completely as I could. And I am STILL not convinced that the Wraith had her hand directly over his heart. It was very hard to tell, but I am almost positive it was too far center and low to be DIRECTLY over his heart. Much closer to a lung, or something else. And even if it was very close, that does not change my argument.
                          Please continue...
                          It was close enough to it, can't have everything perfect.
                          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
                          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Again, I don't want to get into morality, but I believe that if this was intentional, it was wrong. Please start a new thread if you want to argue this.
                            However, I also think the writers wanted Sheppard to be a "moral" character, so when I noticed that his action doesn't really follow from what he was preaching earlier in the show, I do think there may be something else happening in the backround that many people are not aware of. I also think there is more than enough evidence to back up my theory, and not enough reasons to assume the other extreme.

Comment

there is no point to makin a new threat! you are the one arguing, after i gave my idea so what's mroe humane? let you best frined be eated alive by 50 wolfs? or kill him with the only bullet you had?

Comment

Working...
                              X