This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Descending

Last edited by deluzion; 20 July 2004, 02:22 PM.

They didn't. He choose to ally himself with good. He kept his allegiance, its just that inorder to do so, he had to oppose Anubis.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

They don't 'know all'. How could they? It's never been suggested on the show that they know all, only that they have a deeper insight into *some* stuff.

They didn't bring him into the fold. Oma did.

She didn't 'know he'd abuse his powers'. How could she? She's powerful but not prescient.

He didn't abuse his powers. He hardly even used them, and I wouldn't have called trying to stop Anubis an 'abuse' of power.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
        They don't 'know all'. How could they? It's never been suggested on the show that they know all, only that they have a deeper insight into *some* stuff.

They didn't bring him into the fold. Oma did.

She didn't 'know he'd abuse his powers'. How could she? She's powerful but not prescient.

He didn't abuse his powers. He hardly even used them, and I wouldn't have called trying to stop Anubis an 'abuse' of power.
        Neither would I, but you can never tell with those Ancients (the ascended ones), they're a funny little bunch.
        Rocky

Comment

When one has agreed not to use one's power to interfere with the lower beings, using said power to interfere with the lower beings is an abuse of said power.
          The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by deluzion
            If the almighty, know all, powerful Ascended beings truly do know all, why would they have brought Daniel Jackson into the fold knowing he would commit the worst sin, abusing his powers?.
            Daniel even said ascending doesn't make you all knowing or all powerful... You have to look at ascension as moving above the world we live in now and existing on a higher plane.

Ascension has it's own way of life...although I'm sure it's much more interesting then... *pokes 3D bubble of existance* this one.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
              When one has agreed not to use one's power to interfere with the lower beings, using said power to interfere with the lower beings is an abuse of said power.
              When did Daniel agree that? He wasn't told in or before Meridian, was he? (that's a genuine question, I may have forgotten stuff).

Maybe he agreed to it after he had ascended, but I think it more likely that he was *told* how to behave, and told what the rules were after he'd ascended. By which time he wasn't really in a position to do disagree.

Who's to decide who is the abuser of the power? Was Oma abusing her power by helping Daniel to ascend? By imposing her rules on him? By inviting him to make a life-or-death decision without giving him all the information?

Daniel 'interfered' in such minor ways too. He gave support and comfort to Teal'c and to Jack, and he made a suggestion to Teal'c (and perhaps to Sam, we don't know) that helped to free Jack. Each of those things were things he could have done as a 'real' person, the only difference being that he was able to travel to wherever they were in order to do what was necessary. Interplanetary travel was all that he did that was superhuman, and that's not an abuse of power, is it?

Then he went at Anubis. Does Anubis count as a 'lower being'? Maybe, but it's not a particularly clear-cut thing. Even if he's an 'intermediate being' he's a great big mistake made by some 'higher beings', so Daniel was to some extent justified in thinking he ought to do something about it.

I'll stipulate to the whole thing about him getting the Abydonians and SG-1 to look for the Eye. That was interfering, although I still wouldn't call it an *abuse* of power.

Madeleine

Comment

I don't say this often, but I agree with everything you just posted.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Why did Oma ascend the Abydonians? They would have died anyway. It's not like Anubis would have taken the eye and then leave without doing something to them.

Comment

I'm guessing her humanity told her that they were innocents getting caught in the cross fire. I think it was by her order that they ascended. I don't think that she could have ascended that whole planet. Also, I think their is an intersteller Ascended Council that governs such descisions, Oma being a council member in her section of the MW.

Comment

I wonder why "The Others" have such a respect for Oma. Maybe she was the first. Or maybe she's not even an Ancient, she has been ascended much longer, so they can't touch her.

I'm sure she could've ascended everyone.

Her humanity? I'm sure millions of people die everyday in the galaxy, why don't they all ascend then?

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                        Why did Oma ascend the Abydonians? They would have died anyway. It's not like Anubis would have taken the eye and then leave without doing something to them.
                        Only Skarrar ascended.

Lucky ******* gets it done real quick, while I'll be spending my life learning the mer-ka-ba trying.

Comment

Only Skaara? Were you paying attention to the people everywhere around him, and all the empty clothes that were laying around?

Comment

Like I said they were being caught in the cross fire. Also, it was because of her followers (Daniel) that Anubis had enough power to fire the weapon on Abydos.

Comment

You don't think his regular weapons could do that? or the Jaffa.

If Daniel never ascended SG1 would never have been there, and Abydos would have been Anubis' own playground.

Comment

Working...
                              X