This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching Atlantis

We need more searching Atlantis stories. Somewhere in Atlantis has to be a way to defeat the wraith, an idea that never got implemented, a weapon or technology that was never completed. Something has to be there. Wouldn't you think so?
    Religion and science are the same both explain Gods work.

Maybe but it would kinda ruin the show if they found it ASAP, me thinks thats why they do searches every now and then

Comment

I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get something really interesting by now. The Asgard have the DB but understandably they are having problems because they don't have direct access to it. They need to interface their computers with it & try & break down the information. That's why they have barely scratched the surface of it. Whereas Atlantis has direct access to the computer, so it is much easier. They have been in it for almost 2 years now, yet have found nothing truly worthwhile.

Then we see a Goa'uld come in & modify the city's OS to cause it to nearly explode. So if they can do it in one go, it the Earthlings can't be that stupid as to be in a place for that long & still have problems getting anywhere. ZPM's, Shields, Weapons, Cloaks, Ships & the rest will be in there & is standing around just looking to be found.

If they are that silly & as totally out of their depth as they seem, then due to the Asgard's slow & enevitible demise. I'm fairly sure they would be more than willing to send a whole team of their scientists & engineers to comb through the Atlantis computers & systems.

Maybe but it would kinda ruin the show if they found it ASAP, me thinks thats why they do searches every now and then
      Of course it would, however they shouldn't be writing in stupid stuff, like a Goa'uld being able to re-write things beyond repair in a single visit. That means he had to have done it over a period of days. Yet it's been almost 2 years that they've been there & nothing gained or learner from it, that's truly been worth all the hassle. Same as Trinity, they don't even let Hermy look at it because it goes kaboom.

This along with all the stupid blunders that leadership have & will make in the rest of S2, makes no difference as we all know they'll all be back for S3.

I don't like to admit this, however for the first time ever. I've started to look more forwards to BSG eps to air than SG. The best about it, is that I don't even particularly like that show, no enough action in it for me. So I just wish the writers wouldn't include such silly scenarios in theri eps & expect the fans to just say, 'well it's ancient tech, we've only been here for 2 years & are way out of our depth on the matter. So it doesn't matter that we have allies who could help us out but screw asking them for help. We'l just bumble our way through one disaster after another. Then hope we fluke our way out of another siege in the end."

If the Goa'uld could get results that quickly, especially considering it was done it complete secrecy & under the clock, then imagine what Tok'ra & Asgard scientists could do with free reign over the city.

They introduced a personal shield in the beginning of S1, yet we are to believe that they are all gone. Look at eps like 'The Siege II & III', 'The Hive' etc, etc. If they had the, then they would have easily been used. So Atlantis only had 1 left in it's possession. Right, I'll believe that!

Then another thing, is they have cloaking generators. Why not remove one from the Jumper & get McKay, Hermy & Zelenka to interface it into the Daedalus. Then since we know that Hive ships turn the shiled thing on that blocks it. If Daedalus were totally invisible, it could beam them in without alerting the Hive ships of it's prescence. It has crappy weapons, yet they have jumpers & never seem to think of using them from behind the Asgard shields on the Daedalus to attack the Wraith ships that are threatening them.

Yet we are to believe that these people are the smartest of the smart. Most of this would be too easy to completely wipe out the Wraith. However to even not think of using these techniques, just shows how dumb the writing is for most of the time. It's all far too conveient to just expect that they'll never do it as it would make it too easy. Instead show us using them, then have the Wraith show us how bad ass they are by somehow adapting to them. This is the race that destroyed the most powerful beings in the universe. Yet with far less tech & knowledge they have taken out 8 of 60+ Hive ships.

These are perfect examples of how sloppy the writing is. On STTNG & Voyager, that's what made the Borg so scary. They could & would always quickly adapt themselves to any & all things you threw at the,.

Give them Ancient tech to fire away at the Wraith, eyt make the Wraith adapt themselves & get around it, just like we are supposed to belive that they did against the ancients. Let them cloak Daedalus, then show us Wraith scientists working flat out to see through the ancient cloaking technology. Let them capture a Jumper, interrogate the pilot & strip down the ship to study it.

Have Daedalus & other Earth ships fitted with Al'Kesh, Hat'ak or Asgard designed weapons. Then see them do damage to Wraith ships, not just enough because the Wraith can do more damage to them a lot quicker.

Everybody wants tosee the Asgard in Pegasus & kick their asses. Then give us Asgard O'neill class warships enter it to help out. Initially they can put the Wraith on the back foot. However show us how resourceful the Wraith are, make them construct new warships to tackle the Asgard/Human threat that's threatening to destroy their race once & for all.

Not all this, let them on Hive ships, with knives coming out their asses & forgetting to search prisoners time & time again. Where Shep can stirrup trouble between Queen's, yet we know that they can telepathically link to each other. Why would she have needed to speak to the other Queen, when she could have simply connected to her & found out instantly via telepathy.

This way they can safely use the full extent of the ancient tech that's hidden inside Atlantis, yet we will know that the Wraith can combat & overcome their new methods whenever they want.

Only when they do this, will they get back a far greater viewing base & make the show last a lot longer than it evevitably will do, before it's demise forever.

We don't expect major finds every episode. However let them get some thinmgs in during a season from their search of Atlantis & it's DB. Do not let another 2 seasons go by, without their being nothing in the way of progress on the technological front & also nothing new learned of the previously unseen & unexplored parts of the city.

Comment

you shouldn't bottle it up like that wraith hunter...

I wouldn't be a good idea for the wraith to get cloaking technology, cause the ancient sensors can see through it, making it pointless, but the daedalus could get in a heap of trouble...

I reckopn the team should have, at least, by now be able to replicate some of the ancients "lesser" technology, like basic weaponary and shields, but maybe thats a season 3 ep.

rewriting an OS to give a person/people full control is actually quite "easy" (if you can program) compared to making technology millions of years ahead of your own.

Comment

I thought that was me being kind though!

What gets me about it is that they have been in this place for so long now, they introduces ideas & scenarios & never used them again.

The strip a PJ of a cloak & integrate it into Atlantis, whereas for all this time. Daedalus is cruising around with a wanted sign on it, always looking over it's shoulder.

Then the personal shield device, I'm sure there was a few more in the city to be used.

I honestly don't expect them to be creating ZPM's etc, as we know that would be well beyond them currently.

What I do have a real hard time comprehending though, is when they bring all this stuff in & never bother lifitng their pens to follow up on it. A primer example is in 'Disclosure', Thor says he's he to install weapons on Prometheus. It's been a few years now & not a whimper has been sseen or said regarding this since. Until 'Rising', they don't provide other races with anything that could be used against them. Then for heaven's sake, why did they introduce it in the ep originally.

You see all these holes in every episode, then we are led to believe that these people are the brighest stars that humanity has to offer...Puuulllleeaaassee!

Giving them the ability to use certain ancient tech, then showing us how adaptive the Wraith are & finally a glimpse of exactly why they defeated the ancients. Not this, we'll take you aboard as our prisoner & on the condition that you keep your knives in your hair & don't use them.

What irks me the most though, is that people stick up for it & say that'll make the show too easy. I totally disagree, the only thing that will become less easy, is forcing the writers to work harder to eradicate all the plot holes that are in a growing number of episodes.

All I would like to see, is them finally getting results from Atlantis then if necessary, have the Wraith counter it. If they don't have anything of value after all this time. Then they shouldn't be in there & should either get help from the Asgard or Tok'ra, or sink the city & go home again.

Hopefully in S3, we can see some of this. Although I honestly won't be getting my hopes up!

Comment

Originally posted by jash
            We need more searching Atlantis stories. Somewhere in Atlantis has to be a way to defeat the wraith, an idea that never got implemented, a weapon or technology that was never completed. Something has to be there. Wouldn't you think so?
            Yeah definitely i was thinking about this the other day, i would be happy just to see them walk around the streets or whatever they're called, also like to see them walk around in and outside like a tour so we see more areas, we haven't really got to see much up close.

Comment

Originally posted by Magneto
              Yeah definitely i was thinking about this the other day, i would be happy just to see them walk around the streets
              corridors?

Comment

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this Forum and just thought I might reply to a few things that Wraith_Hunter was saying about the progress of the Atlantis Team.

I can't argue that there are some holes in the story line, but those holes could be filled in fairly easy over time. Then there are some holes that Wraith_Hunter mentioned that were partially explained at the time, such as the Personal Shield.

When they found the PS, they knew it was a prototype of an experimental device that the Ancients were researching themselves. With the problems Rodney was having with shutting it down even though he was hungry and dehydrated, that might explain why it hadn't been mass produced before they left Atlantis.

The impression I get regarding the Ancients is that they were probably the oldest race in the entire universe. Therefore there were no species that could threaten them when they first started exploring and amassing a VAST database of knowledge of the universe. Because they had no REAL competition or enemies, they developed as a peaceful race that avoided conflict and sought enlightenment and to further their evolution (i.e. ascension) instead of weapons and defenses. I also get the impression that the Ancients tended to run from conflicts, first out of a distaste for conflict and second, because they weren't really equipped for it. Most of their technology is focused on travel and concealment, which would make sense for race of beings that were initially the only space fairing race in the universe. They would want to study any evolving species that might become friends and neighbors. Hence, the difficulty finding potential weapons and such. They ran from one galaxy to avoid or escape one threat and only to find (or accidentally create) another threat. These threats came to them late in there civilizations history and they were approaching their next evolutionary step of Ascension.
                So, the way I figure it, the database the Atlantis team is searching through is so VAST and filled with, although, fascinating and distracting information, very little information is related to weapons etc...
                There is also a difference between figuring out the OS of a system even with a limited knowledge of the language used by those that created the OS. An OS is simply the interface to the machinery and information. A database of information in a language that you have a limited knowledge of would be much more difficult to decieffer. Just consider how large that databse must be if the Asgards are strugleing through it, and then add the fact it is in a language that know one has spoken or writen in over 10,000 years.

The holes I'd like to see filled in are:
                1. How did the Wraith evolve so fast that they became such a threat to the Ancients and nearly defeated them. (I'm assuming the Wraith evolved from that spider-like creature and the Ancients)
                2. How did the Wraith develope there technology so fast.

I would like to see some other questions answered as well, but I've gotten long winded enough, especially as a newcomer.

Comment

nice first post...you may as well of put in the other questions.

1.the wraith started off from a bug...then fed upon humans and incorperating their DNA, a process i guess which would be faster than normal evolution
                  2. no body really knows yet, but its possible they modelled some tech after the ancients and/or the human population's tech

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                    corridors?
                    Outside?, well call them walkways or whatever it doesn't really matter but you know what i mean.

Comment

I think your kinda being unfair.

But first I'm going to say the personel shield was found in a lab if im remembering correctly, aka - experiment. aka - we see it's still being worked on in the fact that you cant eat, drink or do all that much with it attached to you.

Secondly. If a group of primapes arrived in an abandoned manhatten would they be able to work it straight away? We are not, or anywhere near as smart as the Atlantians. We cant just start messing with things or trying to backwoulds engineer things. It takes time, 2 years? not that long.

As for the 'smartest of the smart' - their fracking scientists, not military personel. They arn't out trying to defeat the Wraith, or win some big war. Their looking out for survival. You dont poke a lion and draw its attention when you dont need to - we don't know the full power of the Wraith. So 'being able to wipe them out' is stupidity. The fact they were able to block the Asgard transporters shows that they are smart and able to adapt.

As far as we know there are 60 or so Hive Ships, doesnt mean its a correct number. As far as the Wraith know we have one ship - Daedalus, back home we got 2 (Promie and Oddy when finished).

There are thousands upon thousands of Wraith, how many of us? And if your indicating lets go about mass sloughter, fly around and completly destroy them, I'm slightly worried about your ethics.

I think your all just expecting some perfect show - were being shown that these people are flawed. Their not perfect, their not out to fight and be militiristic (word?) like Sg-1.

Blitz

P.s. The Snake that re-wrote the ZPM bit, 1) They've been working with tech alot longer than we have, know more about crystals and have, several times said that our technology is easy to work + for all we know Caldwell could be a IT loving man.
                      Blitz

www.myspace.com/twilightpeace

One was an experiment made to cause destruction in any condition except water, the other was an aquatic expermiment to destroy the world...but in the end...Stitch and Nim: They made an amazing Hula team

Comment

caldwell would prob know a thing or two about the atlantis OS and setting up automated systems, which the gou'd may have used in their favour.

Comment

I agreed with the wraith_hunter, that we should see the atlantis starting to use different tactics, and adapt technology they found to use there own use. Like beckett useing some of the ancient medical technology, we seen him say in one episode that they know how some of it works, but frankly most of it is beyound us, well the writers could at least show us how some of the stuff they do know how to use.

Also you have got a military personnell on the base, immadetly I would have rodneay figure out how the shielding device works, and find a way to recharge it, and I would have that be is one and only task, and then the team finds out is useless against the wraith weapons and that why it was not mass produce by the ancients, and the reason it was found in the ancient lab was because they would trying to figure out way to counter wraith weapons, unfortantly for us they was not successfully. I would like to see in some episodes where we see scientist actually playing around with some of the technology. In every episode we see people at atlantis controle stations, why, they are suppose not to know how anything to work , and all the gate functions seem to be on one console, but we see people working on all the consoles like they actually know what they are doing.

Think season two should of focus on figuring out the technology, but instead we see them going of world almost every episode when they are suppose to be at least be trying to keep atlantis a secret, I would of thought they would have to make care full decision about each and every mission. Also I would of thought instead of wearing full military gear , they would be using the anthosinans clothes. Make it a lot least likely that when the wraith come and kull the planet the natives letting them know atlantis still in on piece. Also they seem to dial straight in to atlantis, even someone with even with a little brains know they should dial a planet other atlantis say a secure alpha site. But instead we see them dialing atlantis each and every time.

I think that season have to focus on the wraith adapting every tactic we try against them. May be one possibly idea is that we use doctor becket virus to try and capture a wraith ship, but instead we find out that the wraith have develope vaccine against the virus. Douglas recieving a prototype ancient ship to ship weapon, which after successfully being use on several wraith hive vessel, and humans seem to be gaining the upper hand in the battle against the wraith we again see them adapt to the weapon. And this is the way they really defeated the ancients, instead of just numbers which is seemingly lest and lest likely unleast it was like a thousand ships to one, it was infact there ability to adapt to everything the ancienta threw at them.
                          Also I would like to know what happen to that wraith vessel we found on that planet in the atlantis solar system, It seem to be a mother of all finds possibly more important than atlantis, certainly the amount of intelligence such a craft would give us would be invulerble. Yet we have not herd anything about it, not even a hint that they sent a science team to explore it. imagine we could get accurate information on their hyperdrive speed, weapons, possibly the amount of wraith on a hive ships, amount of hive ships in a galaxy, locations of bases , hives ships, possibly ship building sites, location of ancients bases, possibly locations to search for a ZPm these are just some of the things we could of learnt.

The writers just seem to be running scare of stories which lets us get any kind of advantage on the wraith or the ancient technology which we know from the first episode, going to useless to us to defeat the waith. Is it me or does it seem majour sheppard never seem suggest any useful military tactics, or seem to make any suggestions on how we could use some of the devices or ships to our advantage.

Sorry for this little rampage, and very long post. Sorry for any spelling mistakes and for going of topic.

Comment

Now that I think about it, they really haven't bee searching Atlantis. It would make sense to see some more stories that deal with this.

Comment

i would like to see more stories focused on the city where they find cool ancient doohickies (as jack would say) where they can use that tech against the wraith or labs that focused on defeating the wraith or atlantean armories that would be sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X