• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colonial Day (111)

Visit the Episode GuideGALACTICA SEASON ONE
    COLONIAL DAY
    EPISODE NUMBER - 111

The impending election of a new Vice President gives activist Tom Zarek an opportunity to make a move for political power.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 25 April 2011, 05:27 PM.

Ok. So i'm just going to comment since nobody else is. I liked this episode. It was cool. It wasn't very intense. Nothing really happend that made a huge difference. Not a very controversial episode despite the fact that it delt with politics. But it was fun. Nice to see the sun again. So yeah. That's it.

Comment

I agree, definitely a good episode. Despite the lack of action, it was IMO one of the best episodes of Season 1.

Comment

Yeah, not that much happened, but it was nice to see some different sets, and Starbuck got to dress up. I found my toes curling up when Ellen was flirting with Zarek. They really suit each other. Ugh! I would love to know what Roslin would have done if Zarek had won the vote. Not enough Adama senior in this episode.
        Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Nice to see that they are dealing with the politics and civilian aspects too. You cant help but feel the Number 6 is building Baltar up into a position of real power so that she can use him to help the Cylons.

Tigh's wife trying to align with Zarek, and the last scene implying that she killed the prisoner add to the mystery of whether she is a Cylon, and how she showed up on the fleet.

Also good to see that Helo found the truth about Sharon when he saw another model of her...
          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

I thought this was a poor episode to be honest, the politics aspect of tv shows has never interested me.

The redeeming feature was the end with Helio discovering the truth about Boomer set up for the finale me thinks
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Does anybody know the name of the tune playing in the background at the beginning (before the opening credits) while "The Colonial Gang" is talking and while the gunman is loading bullets into his weapon? I have seasons 1 and 2 sountracks and its not on either one anywhere.
              Last edited by guido331; 23 March 2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by guido331 View Post
                Does anybody know the name of the tune playing in the background at the beginning (before the opening credits) while "The Colonial Gang" is talking and while the gunman is loading bullets into his weapon? I have seasons 1 and 2 sountracks and its not on either one anywhere.
                For what its worth, I've heard that same song in a few other episodes as well. It sort of sounds like a South American Kena flute.

Comment

colonial day was awesome for the single fact that Roslin and Adama danced at the end... and they looked all cute and human.
                  sigpic

Comment

Hella long gap between posts but what the hell... I started watching BSG late and only caught up with everyone else at the final episode

I have to say, when Baltar came out to the crowd as vice president, and the triumphant music played as he ran around thanking people, I started laughing so hard I almost choked, and have had the same reaction every time since.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney_Mckay View Post
                      I have to say, when Baltar came out to the crowd as vice president, and the triumphant music played as he ran around thanking people, I started laughing so hard I almost choked, and have had the same reaction every time since.
                      I chuckled. "I'm voting for Wallace Gray. He's really gray... t..."

Some parts of this episode failed to grab me, but surprisingly much of the actual political intrigue did; Tom Zarek's rhetoric was interesting and Baltar as Vice President is a great plot progression. Regarding that, I like the scene wherein everyone in the Presidential office is talking about Zarek and Valance, while Roslin has a little epiphany about Baltar. The things I didn't enjoy were the Valance subplot and its vague ending, that same flashback style I complained about in "Flesh and Bone", this time for Helo, and the Grimes subplot.

As for the Ellen/Zarek subplot, does anything at all come of it in the future? I know that Ellen's
                      Spoiler:
                      general ambition is relevant when Tigh is in command of Galactica in Season 2
                      , but the Zarek connection falls through if I remember correctly.

4/10
                      sigpic
                      Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

My two favourite shows ever are The West Wing and BSG, so for me, this ep was like a combination of the very best tv has to offer! Absolutely loved the politics of this episode. It was brilliant to Roslin in her element! She is so good at playing the game. I love the way she handled the hand-shake. And conversation in the washroom, ROFL! "Thank you." LOL Her line about politics is so right - "In war, you only get killed once. In politics, it can happen over and over. "

*Shudder* Ellen "Lady Macbeth" Tigh....

Tom Zarek. Now there's another brilliant political animal, eh. Strolling through Cloud 9 with the press, sleeves rolled up, looking like one of the 'common people'.

Baltar when he's announced VP.

Finally, *happy sigh* the dance...
                        Last edited by Professor_S; 02 June 2011, 09:52 AM.
                        "We still commit murder because of greed and spite and jealousy, and we still visit all of our sins upon our children. We refuse to accept the responsibility for anything we've done. [...] Its not enough to survive... One has to be worthy of survival."
                        ~William Adama

All this has happened before. All this is happening again.

Comment

Originally posted by verse1991 View Post
                          Ok. So i'm just going to comment since nobody else is. I liked this episode. It was cool. It wasn't very intense. Nothing really happend that made a huge difference. Not a very controversial episode despite the fact that it delt with politics. But it was fun. Nice to see the sun again. So yeah. That's it.
                          agreed
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X