This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about gates in space

So now we have stargates in space for ships to use. My question is this- is there a noticeable difference between the front and back of the gate / wormhole so that you don’t fly into the gate the wrong way? If you had time you could activate the gate and watch for whatever side the water comes out—but what if you are in a dog fight and get all turned around after the gate is active?
    "I've been called ugly, pug-ugly, fugly, pug-fugly, but never ugly-ugly." --- Moe Szyslak

Then, you're screwed

There will be no Jewels in the chevrons on the back if the gates are anythng like the ones back on earth. And there wont be ant chevron patterns on the back of the gate either.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
    from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Since the jewels light up, it should be easy to tell the difference in space. Of course if teh sun is blinding you, then you might be f$%$#%ed.

Comment

I'm sure someone in Atlantis will do it, I'm sure it's the the scottish Doctor that will go in the wrong way

Comment

Those are definete possibilites. I wonder though... since these are definetely upgraded gates, perhaps they have the ability to recognize which direction you're coming from and open the worm hole accordingly.

I doubt they'll ever address the issue though.

Comment

There was a thread about this, but, I'll ask it here.
            What if you enter the gete upside down? Do you exit upside down?
            *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
            McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

And my response is the same as it was in the previous thread about this (can't remember where that thread was). The Ancients, being uber-smart, made the gate so it detects your orientation (with refference to the gravitational pull) when you enter it (this is going under the assumption that gates only work in the presense of a graviational body, how many times have I said that now?) The gate then re-aligns you so you exit with the same orientation you enterred with refference to the graviational pull on the gate when you exit it. That's my theory, it could very well be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                And my response is the same as it was in the previous thread about this (can't remember where that thread was). The Ancients, being uber-smart, made the gate so it detects your orientation (with refference to the gravitational pull) when you enter it (this is going under the assumption that gates only work in the presense of a graviational body, how many times have I said that now?) The gate then re-aligns you so you exit with the same orientation you enterred with refference to the graviational pull on the gate when you exit it. That's my theory, it could very well be wrong.
                But the gate in space has no gravity to base it on.

Comment

Yes it does, it's in orbit. It has to be in the presence of some gravitational body, i.e. planet or sun, to work... well that's what some people say anyway. We've never seen it work on a ship in deep space (which doesn't mean it couldn't). Any on-ship activation was done in orbit or near a planet or sun.

In fact, it's very possible when it is done on ship, the gate could work even in deep space, as long as there is artificial gravity. That way, the gate can still re-align properly to match the orientation with refference to gravity. It could have even done this with the puddlejumper as it appeared to have AG. The gate senses the direction of gravity on the ship and re-aligned teh ship to match the gravity direction on the Atlantis end.

That's just my opinion, not necessaruly the truth. In fact, I could very well be flat out wrong, it's just a theory.

Comment

Oooh, heres a good question, what if you walk through a gate on your hands, does it flip you back on your feet?
                    That would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                      But the gate in space has no gravity to base it on.
                      Did you learn anything in HS man? =/

Of course it's affected by gravity!! Why do you think asteroid belts, planetary alignment and everything else can form such linear and (normally) stable paths around celestrial bodies???

GRAVITY!!!

Comment

Why doesn't the Moon just fly away?

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                          Yes it does, it's in orbit. It has to be in the presence of some gravitational body, i.e. planet or sun, to work... well that's what some people say anyway. We've never seen it work on a ship in deep space (which doesn't mean it couldn't). Any on-ship activation was done in orbit or near a planet or sun.
                          >_< I should have read yours first, but object that are light years away from one another are in some way, shape or form affected by another body's gravity.

Comment

Actually. If you watch 'Exodos', you'll learn that chevrons don't light from the backside on MilkyWay style gates......

It could be that in Pegasus gates: The side where you see the whole ring lit up with glyphs is the one to fly through.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aschen
                              Did you learn anything in HS man? =/

Of course it's affected by gravity!! Why do you think asteroid belts, planetary alignment and everything else can form such linear and (normally) stable paths around celestrial bodies???

GRAVITY!!!
                              But a ship is flying through it I don't think the gate can determine which side is right side up.

Comment

Working...
                              X