This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dan/Cam Dynamic (Not slash!)

Here I am, looking through all these wonderful threads, and I realized that there isn't one to discuss Mitchell's working friendship with our wonderful Dr. Jackson.

Going back to the first episode, Mitchell seemed like the "let's go! Let's do it! I want to see what all's out there" type. He's the go-getter, the guy who wants to get out there, explore, and if there's a fight, YAY! And if not, then at least he gets to go somewhere cool! He's an energetic "rookie" in terms of being on SG1, and to be honest, he's also very likable. Very real. You respect him for what he's been through and just how cool it is to get assigned the leader of SG1. There's no way Landry or Jack would've done it if they didn't think Mitchell could handle it.

Daniel at this time, is very aloof. He's also excited, but for a different reason: he gets to study the Ancients at Atlantis! He's anxious to go out there and learn about the beings who accepted him into their throng late Season 5-All of Season 6. He's tempered, he's been on SG1, and he's looking for something new.

The fact that both of them are looking for a change of pace really made me think about how different Season 9 is in general, as well as how their companionship will come about in time. This is a fresh start to SG1, and a key point is how one of the oldest and wiser characters (Daniel) will get along with the eager rookie (Mitchell).

With respect to their differences, they compliment each other in a different way than Jack and Daniel did. While the J/D dynamic was more of an "opposites collide" dynamic, C/D is more of an "opposite-Neutral" dynamic. There's enough between the two to keep them completely apart, but there's also quite a bit that's similar, starting a friendship that happened immediately; unlike the one that had to develop for years between Jack and Daniel. I always thought Cam and Daniel meshed well from the beginning because of common respect, and that's carried through and grown throughout the first half of Season 9.

I love the fact that Mitchell has grown to rely on Daniel, like Daniel's his older brother. In my opinion, though Mitchell co-leads SG1, Daniel's the one who mentors his decisions, and helps him decide where to go when he needs guidance. Cam relies on Daniel for information and advice, trusting him to do what needs to be done and watches his back. If Daniel thinks a certain place needs to be explored, I know Mitchell will support the decision and start dialing the gate. As time goes on, Cam will become less and less impetuous, less and less like the "little kid, wanting to do anything and everything at once", and grow a bit more cautious, with Daniel right there to help him along the way.

I also thought that Cam was a little in awe of Daniel, and what he's accomplished as well. I mean, Daniel's the "FAMOUS" Dr. Jackson! I know I would be a little starstruck if i ever met him too!

One of the most memorable moments in this dynamic is one of my personal favorites from this entire season: the banter in 4th Horseman Pt. 2, when Cam and Daniel are trading jibes with "Cigarette-Smoking Prior". The jibes were spot on, and BB and MS really did a really great job with their comedic timing. They played off each other beautifully, from looking up at the "all seeing Priors" to listing off the effects of the Prior weapon. I often end up quoting those same lines by heart whenever I'm depressed, because they're so memorable and so funny!

Now, for those of you who think "Eh, but the jibes tween Jack and Daniel were better", I won't say you're wrong. All those years of being on the same team (with the exception of most of Season 6), built up one of the most memorable dynamics I have ever seen on a scifi show to date. But that's just it, the keyword YEARS. Ben's still "the new guy" in some respect, and although he's got a good grip on his character now, he's got a LOT of catching up to do in terms of what MS and RDA were able to establish.

So, for those of you in favor of the Dan/Cam friendship, what do you have to say?

Originally posted by Hybridbabe
    Here I am, looking through all these wonderful threads, and I realized that there isn't one to discuss Mitchell's working friendship with our wonderful Dr. Jackson.
    I'm enjoying this friendship, too.

With respect to their differences, they compliment each other in a different way than Jack and Daniel did. While the J/D dynamic was more of an "opposites collide" dynamic, C/D is more of an "opposite-Neutral" dynamic. There's enough between the two to keep them completely apart, but there's also quite a bit that's similar, starting a friendship that happened immediately; unlike the one that had to develop for years between Jack and Daniel. I always thought Cam and Daniel meshed well from the beginning because of common respect, and that's carried through and grown throughout the first half of Season 9.
    Well, I don't think it took years for the friendship to develop between Jack and Daniel, but other than that, I agree. Daniel and Mitchell meet in a moe buddy fashion. While Daniel has more experience, there isn't that quality of him playing the protector to Mitchell, the way Jack sometimes did with him, or of Mitchell being the recipient of protection, like Daniel sometimes was (and, that's a broad generalization just to illustrate the different dynamic. I don't mean to suggest the "98 pound weakling" stereotype). If Jack and Daniel were big brother/little brother, Daniel and Mitchell are more on a level field.

I also thought that Cam was a little in awe of Daniel, and what he's accomplished as well. I mean, Daniel's the "FAMOUS" Dr. Jackson! I know I would be a little starstruck if i ever met him too!
    Yes, I agree. I loved how much he enjoyed Daniel in the briefing room scene in Avalon. Teal'c has been working with Daniel for years, and he knows that these briefings allow Daniel to give key insights to the missions. But, Landry only saw someone who couldn't get to the point (incidently, I loved that little dynamic) and of course, Vala wanted to get to the treasure as fast as possible. Mitchell was reacting like he had been invited to lunch with his favorite movie star. I wonder if Daniel's briefings are also a part of the Dr. Jackson legend. Mitchell seemed to have been waiting for a chance to get to see Daniel in action, and it didn't disappoint. But, as I've mentioned before, I'm also glad that the awe developed into a more equal, friendly relationship. Seeing Daniel annoyed, aggravated, snarky, let Mitchell get to know him as a person, rather than a legend, and like him that way.

O
    ne of the most memorable moments in this dynamic is one of my personal favorites from this entire season: the banter in 4th Horseman Pt. 2, when Cam and Daniel are trading jibes with "Cigarette-Smoking Prior". The jibes were spot on, and BB and MS really did a really great job with their comedic timing. They played off each other beautifully, from looking up at the "all seeing Priors" to listing off the effects of the Prior weapon. I often end up quoting those same lines by heart whenever I'm depressed, because they're so memorable and so funny!
    Well, I stll found that scene too glib, but just from critiquing the acting (and not thinking of them as Daniel and Mitchell) I do think MS and BB have nice timing. But, my favorite scene between them is still in Avalon 2, where Daniel is reading the book. I love the distinctly Danielishness of his actions, and I love that at that point, Mitchell can gently tease him about that aspect of the legend of Dr. Jackson (room full of gold and jewels, and Dr. Daniel Jackson finds the one book). I also like that Mitchell was genuinely interested in what the book was about. Other little bits I liked were them walking through the corridors after another basketball game (I assume) just talking together, and the last episode, Daniel teasing Mitchell about his "diplomacy" I still find it strange to imagine Daniel playing basketball, but I don't mind them having fun like that. As long as the scene in Avalon isn't the only time they also relate to each other through more traditionally Daniel type activities as well.

Now, for those of you who think "Eh, but the jibes tween Jack and Daniel were better", I won't say you're wrong. All those years of being on the same team (with the exception of most of Season 6), built up one of the most memorable dynamics I have ever seen on a scifi show to date. But that's just it, the keyword YEARS. Ben's still "the new guy" in some respect, and although he's got a good grip on his character now, he's got a LOT of catching up to do in terms of what MS and RDA were able to establish.
    I'm glad that things are different between Daniel and Mitchell than they were with Jack and Daniel. First, there is the matter of the amount of time that each relationship has had to build. Second, Mitchell is not Jack, and he wouldn't relate to Daniel the way Jack does, and Daniel wouldn't relate to him the way he relates to Jack. I want to see a strong bond form between them, and I hope to see an episode where the two of them have to work together (4th Horseman 2 didn't cut it for me) in serious circumstances, but not a retread of anything between Jack and Daniel. In fact, I'd resent it. Jack and Daniel was special. Daniel and Mitchell's friendship can be special, too, and I hope it is. But, in its own way. Plus, if tptb try to duplicate it, I'd wonder where their imaginations are.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
    X