Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Avalon in the Stargate Universe?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Avalon in the Stargate Universe?

In the second episode of Season 9 we learn that the Ancients, "named their new home Avalon and built many Astria Porta".
    So, is Avalon our galaxy's name from the ancients, or a planet, or the Ori galaxy?
    Last edited by Johnquixote; 18 January 2006, 01:39 PM.

The way they said it, Avalon is the name of the Milky Way galaxy. Could be wrong but they made it sound like that. Not sure how the Arthurian myth fits in this though I mean Arthur went to Avalon in the end. From that context, I would have assumed it was an Ancient planet but the episode sounded galaxy like.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

I thought Avalon was Earth - but.....that's probably wrong..

GW Omnipedia says that Avalon are subterranean caves.......

The mythology from Danny was:

Originally posted by Avalon Part 1
      ....Vale of Avalon, which according to legend, was a magical place where the dead would meet
      Then they assume that:

Originally posted by Daniel
      Certain Celtic legend says that Glastonbury Tor, the hill overlooking the town, is actually hollow, and that contained within it is the entrance to the underworld, Avalon.
      but when Danny reads from the book:

DANIEL
      Once upon a time, there was a race of people that went on a great journey through space, across the universe. They were called the Altera. After much time…

DANIEL
      …and I think this means thousands of years, they found a great belt of stars.

MITCHELL
      …and they lived happily ever after.

TEAL'C
      Have you found something, Daniel Jackson?

DANIEL
      It says that the Alterans named their new home "Avalon," and that they built many Astria Porta.
      I'm assuming that it is the caves.
      But it could also be the MW or Earth
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

The Ancient Altera referred to the antartica outpost as Terre Atlantus, I always assumed that Earth was known as Terre to them.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

prolly the MW earth called it MW but the alterrans found it first so it's now avalon

Comment

The archepelago of galaxies within our native big bang universe?

Comment

I think that Avalon refers to the Milky Way. The caves where arthur was buried (assuming he died at all, which was unclear) was the 'Isle of Avalon' IE, Great Britain (or possibly just the one island).

This begs the question: What other incredibly advanced chocolates did the ancients have besides their "Avalon Bar"?

Comment

Personally, I think Avalon could still be just a planet in our galaxy. One where the Ancients built the Stargates and then began placing them on other worlds in the MW. Just a theory.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

they found earth first then starting doing their business

Comment

I believe from the context that the "belt of stars" became their new home... that being our galaxy... and then they built many Astria Porta/Stargates within our galaxy... This must mean that our galaxy is Avalon, and that thru thousands of years things were forgotten and lost.

Mattathias

Comment

In before I sleep, the ancients refer to earth as earth. Probably avalon refers to the Milky Way, but could refer to england as well. Although the translation of england is Isles of angels, not avalon.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidtourniquet
                        In before I sleep, the ancients refer to earth as earth. Probably avalon refers to the Milky Way, but could refer to england as well. Although the translation of england is Isles of angels, not avalon.
                        Actually, Weir refers to Earth. Then the ancients say "That's funny, because we were just talking about leaving the city, and we were going to go back to Earth!" Coincidence? I think not.

Once the ancients found out Wier was from Earth, they decided to go there to look for a nice place to live. Then they get here and either find themselves in Goa'uld controlled Egypt, or an ice cavern in Antarctica. Oh yeah, and humans back then are nowhere as advanced as Weir. Silly ancients.
                        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
                          Actually, Weir refers to Earth. Then the ancients say "That's funny, because we were just talking about leaving the city, and we were going to go back to Earth!" Coincidence? I think not.

Once the ancients found out Wier was from Earth, they decided to go there to look for a nice place to live. Then they get here and either find themselves in Goa'uld controlled Egypt, or an ice cavern in Antarctica. Oh yeah, and humans back then are nowhere as advanced as Weir. Silly ancients.
                          I think 10000 years ago was before the goauld found earth so i imagine they did find themselves in that ice cavern but they probably would of been fine, they must of took a few ships as well but we can't be sure what state the place was in back then though.

Comment

According to the director's cut of Stargate (the movie), Ra first arrived on Earth in 8000 BC. That's when his pyramid ship first landed, he took control of the ancient Egyptian boy, etc. The theatrical version only showed that in a flashback when Daniel was translating heiroglyphics in the cave. The director's cut shows it at the very beginning of the movie, with the subtitle "8000 BC". After it shows that, the boy get possessed, etc, it switches to the later scenes, 1927 Giza, and present day. So yeah, the Ancients arrived back on Earth within a few years of Ra. Assume that the "10,000 years" that the team went back in time in "Before I Sleep" is just an approximation.

Comment

Originally posted by Akai
                              According to the director's cut of Stargate (the movie), Ra first arrived on Earth in 8000 BC. That's when his pyramid ship first landed, he took control of the ancient Egyptian boy, etc. The theatrical version only showed that in a flashback when Daniel was translating heiroglyphics in the cave. The director's cut shows it at the very beginning of the movie, with the subtitle "8000 BC". After it shows that, the boy get possessed, etc, it switches to the later scenes, 1927 Giza, and present day. So yeah, the Ancients arrived back on Earth within a few years of Ra. Assume that the "10,000 years" that the team went back in time in "Before I Sleep" is just an approximation.
                              The movie doesn't really matter when it comes to the series canon. It's basically non-canon material at this point. Some stuff still applies, but for the most part the movie is a totally different beast from the series.
                              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Working...
                              X