PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Elizabeth Weir

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 07:29 AM
To find out about the other characters in Atlantis click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/characters.shtml)

DR. ELIZABETH WEIR
PLAYED BY - Torri Higginson (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Higginson,+Torri)
Attractive, brilliant, and the master of five languages, this 35-year-old started out as a critic of government spending on the military. But she ultimately decided the best way to fight the establishment was to join it and change what she could from within by brokering peace and being a voice of reason to whoever would listen. She worked behind the scenes for the U.S. government as a high level international negotiator for years before being offered command of the Stargate Program by the new President. Now, she has been given the opportunity to lead an international team through the gate to a new galaxy on a grand mission to save all of humanity and she is not one to turn that challenge down.

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/graphics/char_weir.jpg

jenniferhailey
May 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
I wonder if they'll mention the fact that the original actress was blonde so she's supposedly un-dyed her hair in 5 minutes...Lol. :D

sidious618
May 3rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
I'm disappointed in the change of actress's as I liked Jessica Steen.

We'll have to see how this one is.

Anubis
May 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
I would have thought that Jessica Steen would have stayed on for Atlantis. It seems strange to go from one face to another

Bacardi
May 3rd, 2004, 10:21 AM
Attractive,

that describes jessica steen more closely than torri higginson, no offence to her she is an attractive lady, and i dont usually go for blondes (being one myself..the male variety tho) but i just think JS was better for the role...

SGSlugger
May 3rd, 2004, 10:45 AM
I really enjoyed Jessica Steen's performance, and I was surprised that she didn't sign on for Atlantis, considering that Stargate is gaining populatity and you may never get another deal like that.

David85
May 3rd, 2004, 10:54 AM
It's not that Steen didn't sign up, the creators didn't want her or something. They should have just got Torri for both and save the trouble, but no they had to be dumb, and people wonder why some doubt the show.

Anyways I think Higginson looks similar and looks fine, just the hair bothers me.

Teal'c
May 3rd, 2004, 01:44 PM
I wonder if they'll mention the fact that the original actress was blonde so she's supposedly un-dyed her hair in 5 minutes...Lol. :D
Well Jessica Steen's hair was dyed anyway... :P

petzke_42
May 3rd, 2004, 01:47 PM
I do hate it when the actor who is portraying a character changes....*thinks all the way back to Sliders*

David85
May 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
What Sliders charater had the actor / actress replaced? All I remember is that they make new charaters every other episode.

Liotius
May 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
It may be due to legal issues... Like how Teal'c and Sam both aren't appearing in the pilot for Atlantis but Oneill and Daniel can because they were in the original movie... I dunno tho, I do agree that they should have just saved themselves the trouble.

GhostPoet
May 4th, 2004, 11:04 AM
I'm probably one of the few that didn't really like the original Weir. I found her a little boring...didn't quite fit in. She doesn't seem like someone capable of leading a project like this.

petzke_42
May 5th, 2004, 10:50 AM
What Sliders charater had the actor / actress replaced? All I remember is that they make new charaters every other episode.

In the last season (at least I think it was the last one) some other actor (who's name I can't remember) played Quinn Mallory instead of Jerry O'Connell...they justified it by some wormhole snafu, and calling him "Mallory" instead of "Quinn" the rest of the series.

GateGipsy
May 5th, 2004, 10:58 AM
In the last season (at least I think it was the last one) some other actor (who's name I can't remember) played Quinn Mallory instead of Jerry O'Connell...they justified it by some wormhole snafu, and calling him "Mallory" instead of "Quinn" the rest of the series.
He was Quinn Mallory, just a Quinn Mallory from another Earth who had been the result of a different sperm/egg combination. Ergo, the same parents, and same name, but different looking person. More like a brother than a twin.

The story was that the new Mallory was also a slider on his world, for the military or a military type organisation if I remember correctly. The two Mallory's collided in a slide, and sort of merged into one. For a while they existed in the same body, but the 'new' Quinn was dominant and eventually took over entirely.

For me the show had jumped the shark when they did away with The Professor, but this was the point that I actually stopped watching. Not because there was only Rembrandt of the original's left, but I couldn't keep watching when I actually only liked one of the actors (the one that played Rembrandt).

GhostPoet
May 5th, 2004, 11:30 AM
He was Quinn Mallory, just a Quinn Mallory from another Earth who had been the result of a different sperm/egg combination. Ergo, the same parents, and same name, but different looking person. More like a brother than a twin.

The story was that the new Mallory was also a slider on his world, for the military or a military type organisation if I remember correctly. The two Mallory's collided in a slide, and sort of merged into one. For a while they existed in the same body, but the 'new' Quinn was dominant and eventually took over entirely.

For me the show had jumped the shark when they did away with The Professor, but this was the point that I actually stopped watching. Not because there was only Rembrandt of the original's left, but I couldn't keep watching when I actually only liked one of the actors (the one that played Rembrandt).

That's when I stopped watching too. infact, I'm sure many slider fans stopped then.

David85
May 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM

I rember that, they replaced the professer with some dumb women. But then they had one more season of looking for there home, another season after they got home, but the aliens were there, thenI stopped watching. But I do remember that there was a black women at one time, but don't remember when.

DownFallAngel
May 5th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I actually stopped watching right before that season. The show was getting to carried away, and was not what it used to be, like back on FOX.

The episode you are talking about, with the two Quinns, merging into one is The Unstuck Man, from the final Season, 05. I used to love that show.

Larry The Chevron Guy
May 5th, 2004, 03:57 PM
This thread has officially been Hijacked!

I like sliders, too. I have a recipe for them around here somewhere...

Darren
May 5th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Yes yes, a Sliders topic would be awesome for the Sci-Fi / Fantasy folder. Let's get back on topic.

Beckmen
May 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Yeah, back on topic...

I liked Jessica Steen, she took what COULD have been a boring role and injected it with charecter. Sort of like MS and RDA did with their charecters. Torri Higginson IMO is massivly ugly and looks NOTHING like Steen. I am NOT looking forward to seeing her in action, but there's plenty of chance for her to change my mind come June.

ReplicatorX
May 7th, 2004, 04:56 AM
I don't really have any opinion on Steen, I didn't hate her nor like her, for me it was to early to judge. But i'm not thrilled about the actor switch, I would have preferred that they just got Torri to play it from the beginning.

greytop
August 9th, 2004, 10:52 AM
The main reason I like her is that she isn't afraid to admit that she is wrong or she new at this and then asks for help (or advice).

ShadowMaat
September 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Guess I'll be the one to bring this thread back to the fore. :P

Personally, I found Weir to be a very dull character in New Order and in a majority of Atlantis. Her few instances of strength and individuality weren't enough to really spark my interest. I felt that the writers generally ignored the character and her possibilities in Atlantis, relegating her to a distant authoritarian figure who occasionally prances out to wag her finger at Shep and crew and then quietly retreats back again. I didn't see anything to draw me to the character, I couldn't find any real purpose to her existence, and I generally didn't care what happened to her as long as her parroting of rhetoric was kept to a minimum.

Home
However, in Home, we finally get to see more of the "real" Weir- in her interactions with Shep regarding who should go home, in her dealings with her boyfriend, and in her general concept of reality. The ep offered us some good insights into her character and for one of the few times in the series, I didn't feel that she was a low-grade irritant.

The Storm
The Storm was another good example of character development. She got to show some backbone, she got to flex some of her diplomatic skills (to little avail) and I felt that Torri was really allowed to act in this ep, which is refreshing to see. There was some good emoting going on as well, and I really felt that Weir's attempt to bargain with Kolya was empassioned- and in a good way. She didn't come off as wishy-washy or overly emotional but really seemed to be showing the strength of her convictions.

I hope we get to see more of this Weir in the future. She's someone I could learn to like. :)

Now, if only they'd do the same for Teyla and poor Ford... :P

Major Fischer
September 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I'm really convinced that they are starting to get a feel for the character. That in the future we'll talk about her in the same way we talk about Sam in the first season. It took the writers a bit of time to find the character, so we got bits of "Briefing Room Sam" that seem out of place for her now, but that the writers have moved beyond.

watcher652
September 18th, 2004, 01:00 PM
First off, I want to apologize to the mods for starting another topic on Dr. Weir. This one was hard to find, it was so way back. And there didn't seem too be much talk about the current Dr. Weir. I will have to admit that I didn't see who the other Dr. Weir was, so I have nothing to compare with. Torri is Dr. Weir to me.

That being said, I'll repeat my remarks from the other thread since that thread should fall off now. No spoilers.

The episode "The Storm" had some really good stuff for Torri to work with. Most of the time she's been stuck in the Control Room talking to Sheppard on the mike. This time Weir got a chance to do what she should be doing, instead of sending Sheppard all the time. I hope to see her in more sessions using the skills that made her the head of the Atlantis expedition

The episode, "Home" was also a good showcase for Weir.

The role she's been having of getting the team together, briefings and debriefings, and keeping McKay and Zelenka focused shouldn't be her primary role. Although that stuff is well written. Or has it been that she's been making the decisions and I haven't noticed because it's been so smooth? I'm going to have to spend the off season studying that. Quiet authority is easy to miss.

It's easier to write for someone with a lot of quirks like McKay. Or who has to do all the tech explaining and have all that technobabble. Weir's role must be dealt on a one-to-one basis with the people around her. She has to have a situation where science will not be the only thing to save the day and that's a harder thing to write. In some ways, I think it would take even more words than sheer technobabble to have her accomplish her task. Technobabble can be written off by the viewer as "ok, they understand it" or "ok, they fixed it". Persuasive words written for Weir must be absolutely convincing. And delivered convincingly.

I like what Torri has done with her role and look forward to seeing her character develop more.

ShadowMaat
September 18th, 2004, 01:05 PM
I just did a search on "Elizabeth Weir" and scrolled to find the right thread. ;) And I've never let a conversation get in the way of what I want to post. If something is veering off topic, I'm quite happy to post something absolutely relevant to the original post even if I get ignored and washed over in a sea of chatter... Of course, I've also, on occasion, posted random off topic thoughts in the middle of a heated discussion just to see what happens. :D

As for the subject of the thread... as I said, I think I'm finally starting to warm to the character (and I never saw Steen's version, either) and I hope that TPTB don't screw it up and dump her back into the Tedious Rhetoric role.

Presley_Carter
November 10th, 2005, 08:55 PM
*Throws two cents in the jar*

I liked what both the actresses did, I really enjoyed Jessica's portrayal, but 45 seconds into New Order I found myself saying "Jessica who?" Torri has stepped up to the role wonderfully and brings a lot of depth to what could easily become a "background" character. Maybe it's the sexy voice...I don't know...but there is something about Ms Higginson that you can not ignore, and who would want to!

Lexa Jayde
November 14th, 2005, 06:08 AM

I liked what both the actresses did, I really enjoyed Jessica's portrayal, but 45 seconds into New Order I found myself saying "Jessica who?" Torri has stepped up to the role wonderfully and brings a lot of depth to what could easily become a "background" character. Maybe it's the sexy voice...I don't know...but there is something about Ms Higginson that you can not ignore, and who would want to!
i know what you mean Pres... i absolutely love what Torri has done with the character.... phenomenal job done... i dont know what it is about Torri... i think she is just "Funtastic"!!!!!!

Dr. Elisabeth Weir
November 21st, 2005, 04:03 AM

same here Torri plays Elizabeth naturally !! :D

Hananian
February 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Torri Higginson IMO is massivly ugly and looks NOTHING like Steen. I am NOT looking forward to seeing her in action, but there's plenty of chance for her to change my mind come June.

LMAO at the thought of Torri Higginson as ugly. Ummm...Are we looking at the same person??

I had absolutely no complaints about Jessica Steen's portrayal of Weir. None at all. But after watching TH in Rising alone, I was totally sold. She's just got that "something" that quickly made Weir my favorite character.

I just gotta say I really hope you've watched it to realize the error of the previous opinion. If not, I understand as it's your call, but I feel sorry for all you're missing out on.

Vicky
February 9th, 2006, 01:40 PM

+1

Pres, you summed up exactly what I feel.

Willow'sCat
February 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
I really liked Jessica, I liked Weir as she was, this new less tough Weir is not doing anything for me.