This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis Sucks!

1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.
    2. I knew Stargate: Atlantis was going to suck from the moment that I heard the title of the new show contained the word 'Atlantis'. Will somebody please tell Hollywood to get over its fascination with Atlantis. Whatever the real Atlantis was like, it would have been in no way as advanced as the countries of today. In fact, it probably wasn't even as advanced as medieval Europe. There's an idea, Stargate: Medieval Europe.
    3. Atlantis has an incredibly stupid plot. 'Hey, we just discovered a dark room on another planet in another galaxy. We don't know if we can get back, so let's send about 60 people to find out.' Yeah, really smart. Sign me up. When do we leave?
    4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.'
    5. Now for the Wraiths, H.G. Wells and the producers of the movie, The Time Machine (2002) called and they want their Morlocks back. The Wraiths are such an obvious rip off of the Morlocks, right down to the light blue skin, long hair, and the fact that they both eat humans. In fact, one Wraith, the white haired one who was the lieutenant to the red haired Wraith, looked almost exactly like Jeremy Irons' character in The Time Machine. The Wraiths are cartoonish, they have no depth of character. The Goa'uld were interesting villains because most of the prominent ones were intelligent and had some sophistication, for example, Apophis (the best Goa'uld in my opinion), Baal, Lord Yu, Osiris, and Nerti. Anubis wasn't that great.
    6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme. Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well.
    7. I was disappointed when I heard that Jessica Steen (Dr. Weir) was dropping out of the show. I've always liked her. She has a friendly and fun personality which would have really been an asset to the show. Besides, she's really good eye candy, in spite of the fact she's pushing 40. Considering the two hour pilot for Atlantis, I'm not surprised that she wanted to jump ship. This stinker would have ruined her career.
    8. As for Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir), she's rather bland looking. As for her personality, one word: BORING!
    9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. Remember how he was quite unhelpful, to say the least, when Teal'c was stuck in the Stargate. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".
    10. It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show.
    11. In conclusion, I will occasionally watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1. Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!
    Last edited by divineshadow; 20 July 2004, 10:53 AM.

So, you made an account to say all that.
    Bravo...
    *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
    McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Ahem.

No.
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

At first, i thought this was going to be a bashful thread, well according to the title it probably is, but when i read, i understand how he feels, because some of those thoughts on why Atlantis 'sucks', i agree with, except that i don't think that it 'sucks', i think its just an opinion, which a few share, but i can just almost hear the bashful people whos gonna bash this post.
        Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I don't agree that Atlantis sucks. I really liked it.

Comment

At least give it a few episodes before you say it sucks.
            *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
            McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

He (?) has some points I agree with (especially Voyager). But that doesn't mean I hate the show, I think it was great with room to grow. On the flip side, like all shows, if it isn't done right, it leaves plenty of room to go downhill as well.

Comment

Although i agree, watch a few more episodes, and give it a chance before saying making a decision the show sucks or not, but yah, a show can't please everyone

Comment

I wouldn't compare atlantis to Voyager. They know how they will get home, get enough power and dial home. In voyager that was a bigger problem, since it would take them 25 years to get home.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    I wouldn't compare atlantis to Voyager. They know how they will get home, get enough power and dial home. In voyager that was a bigger problem, since it would take them 25 years to get home.
                    Acutally, the initial number was like 75 or more years. They kept shaving years off their journey through advance technology.

Comment

Well it was a long time atleast.

Comment

Generally, i thought about how their situations were the same, with differences, such as yah, they just needed more power, while in Voyager, all the needed to do was just be patient and get back, haha... I don't know, i just thought about it

Comment

I think its early to judge since we have only seen one episode.
                          "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

While I admit that some of the points are valid, most are too superficial and tired to be included in an analysis of the show's qualities and shortcommings. Creativity and originality are constrained by reality, i.e. production budgets. While the jury's still out on my final opinion of SGA, it appeals to me more than 90% of the current SF selection.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by divineshadow
                              1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.
                              They can go back to Earth the second they find some ZPMs to power the city with.

3. Atlantis has an incredibly stupid plot. 'Hey, we just discovered a dark room on another planet in another galaxy. We don't know if we can get back, so let's send about 60 people to find out.' Yeah, really smart. Sign me up. When do we leave?
                              They knew exactly where they were going. They knew that this address would lead them to the lost city of the ancients.

4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.'
                              See 1.

5. Now for the Wraiths, H.G. Wells and the producers of the movie, The Time Machine (2002) called and they want their Morlocks back. The Wraiths are such an obvious rip off of the Morlocks, right down to the light blue skin, long hair, and the fact that they both eat humans. In fact, one Wraith, the white haired one who was the lieutenant to the red haired Wraith, looked almost exactly like Jeremy Irons' character in The Time Machine. The Wraiths are cartoonish, they have no depth of character. The Goa'uld were interesting villains because most of the prominent ones were intelligent and had some sophistication, for example, Apophis (the best Goa'uld in my opinion), Baal, Lord Yu, Osiris, and Nerti. Anubis wasn't that great.
                              The odds of finding anything truely original in scifi is slim. Get over it.

6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme. Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well.
                              It's a new show, they needed a new look.

9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".
                              Don't you DARE insult Harlan!

10. It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show.
                              He was annoying.

11. In conclusion, I'll probably continue to watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1.
                              Out of all the remarks you've made, that was the most stupid.
                              Last edited by Mio; 19 July 2004, 10:41 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X