PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Atlantis Sucks!

divineshadow
July 19th, 2004, 10:11 AM
1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.
2. I knew Stargate: Atlantis was going to suck from the moment that I heard the title of the new show contained the word 'Atlantis'. Will somebody please tell Hollywood to get over its fascination with Atlantis. Whatever the real Atlantis was like, it would have been in no way as advanced as the countries of today. In fact, it probably wasn't even as advanced as medieval Europe. There's an idea, Stargate: Medieval Europe.
3. Atlantis has an incredibly stupid plot. 'Hey, we just discovered a dark room on another planet in another galaxy. We don't know if we can get back, so let's send about 60 people to find out.' Yeah, really smart. Sign me up. When do we leave?
4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.'
5. Now for the Wraiths, H.G. Wells and the producers of the movie, The Time Machine (2002) called and they want their Morlocks back. The Wraiths are such an obvious rip off of the Morlocks, right down to the light blue skin, long hair, and the fact that they both eat humans. In fact, one Wraith, the white haired one who was the lieutenant to the red haired Wraith, looked almost exactly like Jeremy Irons' character in The Time Machine. The Wraiths are cartoonish, they have no depth of character. The Goa'uld were interesting villains because most of the prominent ones were intelligent and had some sophistication, for example, Apophis (the best Goa'uld in my opinion), Baal, Lord Yu, Osiris, and Nerti. Anubis wasn't that great.
6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme. Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well.
7. I was disappointed when I heard that Jessica Steen (Dr. Weir) was dropping out of the show. I've always liked her. She has a friendly and fun personality which would have really been an asset to the show. Besides, she's really good eye candy, in spite of the fact she's pushing 40. Considering the two hour pilot for Atlantis, I'm not surprised that she wanted to jump ship. This stinker would have ruined her career.
8. As for Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir), she's rather bland looking. As for her personality, one word: BORING!
9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. Remember how he was quite unhelpful, to say the least, when Teal'c was stuck in the Stargate. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".
10. It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show.
11. In conclusion, I will occasionally watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1. Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 10:12 AM
So, you made an account to say all that.
Bravo...
:D

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Ahem.

No.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 10:15 AM
At first, i thought this was going to be a bashful thread, well according to the title it probably is, but when i read, i understand how he feels, because some of those thoughts on why Atlantis 'sucks', i agree with, except that i don't think that it 'sucks', i think its just an opinion, which a few share, but i can just almost hear the bashful people whos gonna bash this post.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:18 AM
I don't agree that Atlantis sucks. I really liked it.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 10:19 AM
At least give it a few episodes before you say it sucks.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 10:20 AM
He (?) has some points I agree with (especially Voyager). But that doesn't mean I hate the show, I think it was great with room to grow. On the flip side, like all shows, if it isn't done right, it leaves plenty of room to go downhill as well.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Although i agree, watch a few more episodes, and give it a chance before saying making a decision the show sucks or not, but yah, a show can't please everyone :)

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't compare atlantis to Voyager. They know how they will get home, get enough power and dial home. In voyager that was a bigger problem, since it would take them 25 years to get home.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't compare atlantis to Voyager. They know how they will get home, get enough power and dial home. In voyager that was a bigger problem, since it would take them 25 years to get home.
Acutally, the initial number was like 75 or more years. They kept shaving years off their journey through advance technology.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Well it was a long time atleast.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Generally, i thought about how their situations were the same, with differences, such as yah, they just needed more power, while in Voyager, all the needed to do was just be patient and get back, haha... I don't know, i just thought about it :D

TechnoBoY
July 19th, 2004, 10:29 AM
I think its early to judge since we have only seen one episode.

8th Chevron
July 19th, 2004, 10:30 AM
While I admit that some of the points are valid, most are too superficial and tired to be included in an analysis of the show's qualities and shortcommings. Creativity and originality are constrained by reality, i.e. production budgets. While the jury's still out on my final opinion of SGA, it appeals to me more than 90% of the current SF selection.

http://www.lpvoid.com/dave/trolling4.jpg

Dave

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 10:32 AM
1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way. They can go back to Earth the second they find some ZPMs to power the city with.

3. Atlantis has an incredibly stupid plot. 'Hey, we just discovered a dark room on another planet in another galaxy. We don't know if we can get back, so let's send about 60 people to find out.' Yeah, really smart. Sign me up. When do we leave? They knew exactly where they were going. They knew that this address would lead them to the lost city of the ancients.

4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.' See 1.

5. Now for the Wraiths, H.G. Wells and the producers of the movie, The Time Machine (2002) called and they want their Morlocks back. The Wraiths are such an obvious rip off of the Morlocks, right down to the light blue skin, long hair, and the fact that they both eat humans. In fact, one Wraith, the white haired one who was the lieutenant to the red haired Wraith, looked almost exactly like Jeremy Irons' character in The Time Machine. The Wraiths are cartoonish, they have no depth of character. The Goa'uld were interesting villains because most of the prominent ones were intelligent and had some sophistication, for example, Apophis (the best Goa'uld in my opinion), Baal, Lord Yu, Osiris, and Nerti. Anubis wasn't that great. The odds of finding anything truely original in scifi is slim. Get over it.

6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme. Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well. It's a new show, they needed a new look.

9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!". Don't you DARE insult Harlan!

10. It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show. He was annoying.

11. In conclusion, I'll probably continue to watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1. Out of all the remarks you've made, that was the most stupid.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
I think its early to judge since we have only seen one episode.Technically two :)

Bagpuss
July 19th, 2004, 10:39 AM
To divineshadow :

Well,I'll wait until I see Atlantis for myself, before I let loose my own opinions about the show ,as so far, I've only seen spoilers,pics and interviews.
I'm looking forward to the show,and I rather like the reviews so far. :cool:

Personally,I have no problem if anyone thinks it "Sucks",already...they won't get "Bashed" by me,anyway.

I have to say that I really like McKay being on the team,but if other Posters and Fans detest him,so what ? I don't take it personally !

In fairness to yourself,take EYU86's advice and try to watch a few episodes, before you condemn the show forever .

Sometimes I've taken a few eps to get into a Show myself !(*Cough* Star Trek TNG *Cough*) ;)
Glad I gave TNG a fair chance,though ! :D

Prometheus
July 19th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Just give it some time. I personally like Star Trek Voyager, and I think that I will like Atlantis too. Also, I thing the new gates are really cool looking.
Spoiler
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-Plus there is an episode coming up where they get to dial home, presumably through getting more zpm's

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Although its almost on the same lines, they need advanced tech to get back home, well through my eyes that is. :)

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Can I assume of your name that you are a Lexx-fan?

Icemancmd
Concrats...your one of the very few people who didnt like it...AKA..nobody cares what you have to say.

GhostPoet
[QUOTE=divineshadow]1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.

The story on Voyager is that theyw ere struggling to get home..the Atlantis team is NOT struggling to get home...they are exploring. What's the first thing they did at the end of the episode? Weir assigns Shephard to a team...NOT to find a way home, but to explore this new place. So, apparently you don't even understand the plot.

2. I knew Stargate: Atlantis was going to suck from the moment that I heard the title of the new show contained the word 'Atlantis'. Will somebody please tell Hollywood to get over its fascination with Atlantis. Whatever the real Atlantis was like, it would have been in no way as advanced as the countries of today. In fact, it probably wasn't even as advanced as medieval Europe. There's an idea, Stargate: Medieval Europe.

I don't see anything wrong with Atlantis...it fits in perfect with the Stargate mytho. btw...it's been said many times that Egyptions were much more intelligent than we are today..due to the fact they had to use their brain for many more things..and we let ours go to mush letting computers think for us.

3. Atlantis has an incredibly stupid plot. 'Hey, we just discovered a dark room on another planet in another galaxy. We don't know if we can get back, so let's send about 60 people to find out.' Yeah, really smart. Sign me up. When do we leave?

Any scientist would kill for that chance. you're obviously not a scientist.:)

5. Now for the Wraiths, H.G. Wells and the producers of the movie, The Time Machine (2002) called and they want their Morlocks back. The Wraiths are such an obvious rip off of the Morlocks, right down to the light blue skin, long hair, and the fact that they both eat humans. In fact, one Wraith, the white haired one who was the lieutenant to the red haired Wraith, looked almost exactly like Jeremy Irons' character in The Time Machine. The Wraiths are cartoonish, they have no depth of character. The Goa'uld were interesting villains because most of the prominent ones were intelligent and had some sophistication, for example, Apophis (the best Goa'uld in my opinion), Baal, Lord Yu, Osiris, and Nerti. Anubis wasn't that great.

haha...are you saying that the time machine was an original story?:)

7. I was disappointed when I heard that Jessica Steen (Dr. Weir) was dropping out of the show. I've always liked her. She has a friendly and fun personality which would have really been an asset to the show. Besides, she's really good eye candy, in spite of the fact she's pushing 40. Considering the two hour pilot for Atlantis, I'm not surprised that she wanted to jump ship. This stinker would have ruined her career.

I didn't like Jessica Steen. Too mellow and weak

9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".

Many would disagree more than agree with you. :)

QUOTE]

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:43 AM
Actually I care about what he has to say. This is a forum, you say what you think. If everyone was forced to think one way it wouldn't be any interesting.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Yes, forum practically stands for making opinions, i would understand if people say you disagree with someone, but saying that nobody cares what your saying is one, rude, and second isn't right.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Thats a good point :)

Torley
July 19th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Tell, despite the attention-grabbing strong words in the headlines, I'm thankful he explained his reasons out to us.

frogger1108
July 19th, 2004, 11:16 AM
I think you can argue about a lot of his points but he's definetly right about the Asgard.
I really loved Stargate until they had to think of one ridiciolous explanation after another why the Asgard can't help.
-They're too busy
-They're nearly all dead
-They can't spare a single ship
-They can't come to the phone

Yet, everytime THEY need help they have a ship to spare, do a little smalltalk, take what they want and say goodbye "Don't call us....."

That's called a plot hole (better a plot black hole) so big, it's an insult to every interested viewer.
And since they continue that in Atlantis right from the first episode on (it started to suck in SG1 after they bottled up the replicators) I won't be expecting much in terms of loigic and continuity

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Actually, they're more like a deus ex machina, IMHO, but who's counting?

Bacardi
July 19th, 2004, 11:19 AM
loved voyager, love atlantis.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I think you can argue about a lot of his points but he's definetly right about the Asgard.
I really loved Stargate until they had to think of one ridiciolous explanation after another why the Asgard can't help.
-They're too busy
-They're nearly all dead
-They can't spare a single ship
-They can't come to the phone

Yet, everytime THEY need help they have a ship to spare, do a little smalltalk, take what they want and say goodbye "Don't call us....."

That's called a plot hole (better a plot black hole) so big, it's an insult to every interested viewer.
And since they continue that in Atlantis right from the first episode on (it started to suck in SG1 after they bottled up the replicators) I won't be expecting much in terms of loigic and continuity
Yea, the whole Asgard thing is pretty mysterious
We're never busy and can always help them out, but they can't spare one ship, even a Belliskner type ship would be fine.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Did ya kind of notice how their whole civilization was destroyed, or being destroyed? Haha...

ylai
July 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis really really SUCKS, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.

I think going far from home voluntarily (Stargate Atlantis) or involuntarily (Star Trek Voyager) is quite a difference.

4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy.

1. The Asgards are busy

2. Pegasus dSph is a companion galaxy of the M31 (Andromeda). It is about 2.5 million light years away.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
They weren't completely destroyed, they still had ships and who knows how many other Asgard planets there are left.

Elwe Singollo
July 19th, 2004, 11:30 AM
I think Orilla is their last planet that has Asgard civilization, i think that because Thor said if they can't save Orilla, it would be the end for the Asgard. And ya, i guess the ships were needed to protect the planet, but yah, since they didn't tell us how much ships they had left, its a mystery :rolleyes:

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 11:34 AM
I think Orilla is their last planet that has Asgard civilization, i think that because Thor said if they can't save Orilla, it would be the end for the Asgard. And ya, i guess the ships were needed to protect the planet, but yah, since they didn't tell us how much ships they had left, its a mystery :rolleyes:
If Orilla is the Asgards last planet, that would be pretty pathetic.
I'm sure there has gotta be other planets left in Ida that have Asgards on them.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 11:52 AM
If Orilla is the Asgards last planet, that would be pretty pathetic.
I'm sure there has gotta be other planets left in Ida that have Asgards on them.
The replicators probably wiped those planets clean.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 11:55 AM
The replicators probably wiped those planets clean.
All of em...
So that would mean the Asgard are starting from scratch with Orilla.
That sucks

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM
All of em...
So that would mean the Asgard are starting from scratch with Orilla.
That sucks
Well, they obviously have their ships, which can apparently synthesize nearly any object they need.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM
We are lead to believe the replicators whiped all of teh Asgard planets clean, yes.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 11:57 AM
They probably have alot of material on board. So it can't make things out of air, but it takes from the materials on board and synthesises anything they need.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Unless they can somehow split energy into matter and antimatter, and throw away the antimatter.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing some AntiMatter based weapon. Ship-to-Ship in space that is.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Hey, according to chemistry, atoms can neither be created nor destroyed, so they must be using some resource when replicating.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:02 PM
And physics say nothing can move >c :)

And we know how to create AntiProtons now in real life. I believe they create 0.1 gram / year.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
oooohhh So would love to see ship-to-ship anti-matter/matter reaction. Talk about a big bang!! Anyway, Neutronium, boy is that a generic SF name that's popped up in many SF stories, is probably very dense and can be split at the atomic/sub-atomic level to make anyhting they need.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM
With a fine-tuned transporter they can make anything out of anything. They can transport individual electrons,protons,neutrons and make whatever atoms they like to. Wonder if the Asgard can do that.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Right, I was just saying, supposedly Neutronium is "super" dense (and possibly superconductive, but that doesn't matter right now). You would only need a little bit to make a lot of items that contain elements much lower on the Periodic table. For example, if Neutronium had four times the # of electrons/protons as gold, you could get four times the amount of gold than neutronium. If you carried huge loads of the stuff, you could make a lot different things that could potentially take up more space than the neutronium alone.

Funaho
July 19th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Right, I was just saying, supposedly Neutronium is "super" dense (and possibly superconductive, but that doesn't matter right now). You would only need a little bit to make a lot of items that contain elements much lower on the Periodic table. For example, if Neutronium had four times the # of electrons/protons as gold, you could get four times the amount of gold than neutronium. If you carried huge loads of the stuff, you could make a lot different things that could potentially take up more space than the neutronium alone.

Normally "neutronium" is used to refer to the superfluid material of which neutron stars are made. In neutron stars electrons and protons get crused together to form a super dense sea of neutrons...hence the name neutronium. :)

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Normally "neutronium" is used to refer to the superfluid material of which neutron stars are made. In neutron stars electrons and protons get crused together to form a super dense sea of neutrons...hence the name neutronium. :)
A neutron is escentially a proton + an electron, right?

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM
In terms of charge, yes
But there is a neutron atom.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM
A Neutron is a neutral particle, it has no charge.

aschen
July 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I liked the show, but wanted to say this anyway...

"It's kind of like Charlie loves Chachi."

lol.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Interesting, I was always taught the "ium" suffix was used for naming metals. Guess I was wrong.

But in any case, I've seen the name "neutronium" used to describe a really dense metal extremely high in the periodic table in other Sci-Fi story lines. I didn't mean real life, because I'm no expert in the field.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:18 PM
A Neutron is a neutral particle, it has no charge.
I was replying to Mio
asked if a Proton+electron is a neutron
and i said in terms of charge becasue proton is pos and electron is neg.

Funaho
July 19th, 2004, 12:19 PM

In terms of charge yes (and i think in mass, at least approximately.) But a neutron and a proton have different quark configurations, and an electron is just an electron.

I've actually never read anything about whether or not neutron star matter can be made to "rebound" into normal matter. I think the change is permanent.

aAnubiSs
And I posted the same minute, so you couldn't figure out that we wrote it at the same time? :eek:

Mio
How'd we get from 'Stargate Atlantis Sucks!' to elements native to the Ida galaxy?

EYU86
Dunno, but it always seems to happen :)

Madeleine
July 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Yeah, back on topic everyone.

Or not. Whatever.

I've got a nice glass of wine and some crystalised ginger, I don't really care about off-topicness tonight.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Does this mean we're gonna start talking about what we're drinking now.

Im drinking a bottle of mango gatorade.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Does this mean we're gonna start talking about what we're drinking now.

Im drinking a bottle of mango gatorade.
Snapple Magno Madness....best...drink...ever.....

...three seconds later...

Oh...it's empty already.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Snapple Magno Madness....best...drink...ever.....

...three seconds later...

Oh...it's empty already.
Yes, that is a great drink, I could go for one now...
...after i finish my gatorade.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Guess I'll have to play moderator then... GET BACK ON TOPIC HONEYS!...damn that was fun.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Guess I'll have to play moderator then... GET BACK ON TOPIC HONEYS!...damn that was fun.
Did you just call us "honey"

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:36 PM
most moderators are females yes? and you are males, so I'm gonna call you honeys!

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Alright, but IMOverallO, Stargate SG-1 was much better w/out Dan... Oh wait, I meant Stargate: Atlantis did not suck and I pointed my reasons out in this thread:
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2259

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:39 PM
And what a topic not to care about off-topicness on.... "Atlantis Sucks" will forever remain at the top of the thread list. :-)
Probably, it draws attention, then people realize that it later becomes a different discussion and joins in.

sshspooky
July 19th, 2004, 12:49 PM
As far as Atlantis sucking i could not comment, stuck in the UK i have not seen it yet, however i think it is probably pretty good. However onething has really nirked me in all the conversations about Atlantis, which is it being compared to Star trek Voyager.

Now, I'm a Trekkie and watched through Voyager, and it isn't particularly great. it isn't terrible, but the storylines were poor and it missed out on so many opportunities. however, the concept was never at fault. stuck away from home trying to get back was not a flawed concept, Voyager was just a flawed execution of it. and as far as i know it hasn't been tried by another show. now Atlantis is using the concept of being trapped away from home and trying to find a way back, as well as exploring, however i feel that this is unlikely to be a permanent thing and it will actually be interesting and will be executed well due to the great writers.

And i am going to enjoy watching this season with the characters stuck there, and see how it develops.

Give you fews on this series whatever they may be, but don't accuse it of being bad because of it's concept and comparing it to Voyager, as that is unfair to Atlantis.

Madeleine
July 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
It's a pretty superflous thread right now, since with only one ep gone everything that can be said about Atlantis ought to be said in the Episode Thread.

::glares at anyone who has posted in this thread but not the Episode Thread::

But I s'pose it's not inconceivable that it might be a legitimate conversation in a week or two, which is why I haven't closed it. I really shouldn't be going off topic though, that's Bad.

::goes to look for spoon to wallop own head with::

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:52 PM
What has this world come to, a Moderator breaking their owns rules.
UH-OH

*Please don't moderate me for this post* :(

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:53 PM
What has this world come to, a Moderator breaking their owns rules.
UH-OH

*Please don't moderate me for this post* :(

Feel moderated!

Penalty: Fluffy will bite you 10 times!

Janet Fraiser
July 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
"Using power, using power, using power..."

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:56 PM
"NOOOO, not the throat!"
*Fluffy goes for family jewels*
"Back to the throat, BACK TO THE THROAT!"
"Ahh, Doesn't feel as bad after where I got bit last"

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM
simpsons?

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Yea, just can't remember exactly how it happened.

Teal'c
July 19th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Oh so wrong...

The premise of Atlantis isn't that they get stuck in another galaxy, it's that they are searching for the technology of the Ancients! If you had read anything you'd know that the only reason they are stuck there is because SciFi wanted Atlantis and SG-1 to run concurrently, and this stops the two shows from interfering with each other. Your point is invalid.

You know the show is made in Vancouver right? This Atlantis was created by powerful aliens, you point is invalid.

Did you even watch the show, or did you kinda just walk in and see the word Atlantis written on the TV? They were already assembling the team to go if they found the city, and they did, and they all agreed to go knowing that there was a good chance they couldn't go home. It was pretty obviously shown, so another invalid point.

4. I bet that they will go 7 or 8 years without anyone at Stargate Command (SGC) coming up with the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.'

It's Asgard, and the Pegasus Galaxy is a satellite of Andromeda, not the Milky Way. The Asgard could go there, but then that would interfere with the two shows, the only reason the team are stuck in the first place. Also, the Asgard aren't there to serve SGC's will, they do have Replicators to deal with.

You can't judge the depth of an entire race from seeing them for 10 minutes. The Time Machine was terrible anyway, and I'm pretty sure H. G. Wells didn't come up with what they did. The Goa'uld, for the most part, were far from intelligent and too cocky (were still great villians however).

6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme.

You don't like the gate? I suppose the uniforms are crap too? Yup, well, the show is crap then, it must be cancelled!

Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well.

... I'm sure they could have, but why would they bother to go around and change thousands of fully functional gates in our galaxy?

She didn't "jump ship", she was replaced by the PTB by Torri Higgonson.

8. As for Torri Higginson (Dr. Weir), she's rather bland looking. As for her personality, one word: BORING!

Torri is quite hot, most people will agree with that. And I don't think personal insults to actors are allowed here...

9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".

Amazing, since he's by far the most popular character in the show, and was a popular character when he was in SG-1 too...

10. It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show.

Sure, do YOU want to pay for him then? :P

11. In conclusion, I'll probably continue to watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1.

Now, that is just incredibly stupid. If you don't like it, DON'T WATCH IT! Then you don't have to waste our time complaining about the show every week.

Nearly all your points are void, thus your opinion of the show's quality is based on flawed information, and you need to re-evaluate your opinion, and base it on correct information.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Hey Teal'c we're off topic now, keep up.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
OK, Dad.
Don't get sarcastic with me!
Go to your room!
No TV or computer for 1 month.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Teal'c is correct though my young son.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I wasn't planning on replying to the original rant, but I will mention this since I've seen this complaint elsewhere as well:

It was a big mistake to get rid of Robert Patrick's character, Col. Sumner. Robert Patrick has a strong personality and a good presence. He would have been a good asset for the show.
A "mistake" to get rid of his character... Gimme a break. It's not like it was ever an option to keep him around. He was a guest star, FCOL! And a "big name" one at that!

Teal'c
July 19th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Hey Teal'c we're off topic now, keep up.
Yes, you just keep pumping up that post count there... :rolleyes:

:P

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM
He's doing so quite shamelessly I might add. :)
Hey...

...shutup :(

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
He's doing so quite shamelessly I might add. :)
And just how many posts have you made that point that out? :D

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Lets get this on-topic. Make up stuff that's bad about Atlantis, or make something up!

I'll go first:

Why did McKay have to go through the gate naked?

EYU86
Two... working on my third. :P
Doesn't that count as your third :rolleyes:

EYU86
Lets get this on-topic. Make up stuff that's bad about Atlantis, or make something up!

I'll go first:

Why did McKay have to go through the gate naked?
Because hes Mckay

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Ring around the rosies, pocket full of posies, ashes, ashes, we all fall down!
So true :D

rhade
July 19th, 2004, 01:40 PM
My problem with Stargate: Atlantis is that they get to have all that cool Ancient technology without having to look for it. With SG-1 they had to fight for everything they have and suddenly in Atlantis they get everything handed too them without any real effort. The tech is part of what makes it fun to watch and while it will be cool to see them use the tech in Atlantis I think that it will get boring real fast. Hope it doesn't but overall I am hopeful about Atlantis.

Teal'c
July 19th, 2004, 01:42 PM
My problem with Stargate: Atlantis is that they get to have all that cool Ancient technology without having to look for it. With SG-1 they had to fight for everything they have and suddenly in Atlantis they get everything handed too them without any real effort. The tech is part of what makes it fun to watch and while it will be cool to see them use the tech in Atlantis I think that it will get boring real fast. Hope it doesn't but overall I am hopeful about Atlantis.
The effort is what SG-1 did, remember Lost City? :P SG-1 would have the cool technology too, except the scientists are stuck in Pegasus :P

acdj31
July 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
I know what the writers will do with Atlantis. For the first couple of seasons they will be in the Pegasus galaxy, then as soon as SG-1 is off the air, they will come back to Earth. :eek:

zhaan
July 20th, 2004, 09:04 AM
I am new to Stargate (and this forum), a friend of mine got on a Stargate kick and has had me watching the show on DVD the past months or two. Presently, I have seen seasons 1 through 6. I have the last three episodes of Season 6 to watch, and I really don't want to. I have enjoyed it so much!

I have, however, watched TNG, DS9, and VGR extensively (no Enterprise as it is predictible and snooze-esque). I am the first to stand in the line and comment on how bad Voyager was. I can write a lot about that. When I read the premise of Atlantis, I made the same negative association with Voyager.

The thing is, the Voyager concept is interesting. The writers (IMHO) just did not have any clue how to exploit the plot device in any interesting, believable, or dramatic way. Based on watching 130-some episodes of Stargate, I have faith that the writers on this show will get it right. Besides, I am not entirely sure that the prime motivation of Atlantis is to get home, unlike Voyager.

I say give the show a chance. I have not been excited about watching a TV show in a long time. I am really looking forward to seeing how Atlantis evolves over the next several years.

Plus, Sheppard is kinda cute :)

Bogopimp
July 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
ohhhh, everyone sposted loads, so this may not get read... but a few things :)

1. The sci-fi show the "wraith" were "stolen" from. I dont remember that, how long ago was it ?

2. The asgard could get a ship to the pegasus galaxy... But then what ? the asgard arent gonna wanna ship humans from earth to atlantis all the time. It seems they already have alot of data from the ancients, they just cant work it out!

3. Im sure the wraith will have character. I dont see if your saying there not intelligent, because they are considerably more advanced than the goauld. Like, probly in their little finger theres more than the goauld know (since they steal tech anyway!).

4. "Flashling Lights" dont make a stargate work better :P The origonal ones rotate so you know where you are with that, but the lights on these flash to the icons needed. After all. Moving parts make something easier to break :P

If your gonna watch atlantis for the sake of wasting time then go ahead. But, i wouldnt come here every episode and say this sort of thing. It "is" after all a "fan" forum. The prospect of support seems quite dim :)

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
If your gonna watch atlantis for the sake of wasting time then go ahead. But, i wouldnt come here every episode and say this sort of thing. It "is" after all a "fan" forum. The prospect of support seems quite dim :)

Technically, if he wants to, he has every right to, that's what a forum is for, the free speech (within reason) of your ideas. However, I think he made it quite clear that he won't waste his time with watching Atlantis. If he does post his dislike about each episode, then it should provide a healthy forum for debate, as long as we don't violate the Gateworld Forum rules.

Replicarter
July 20th, 2004, 09:43 AM
If you don’t like the show, then don’t watch it, people have different tastes, I personally love SGA just as much as SG. It’s impossible to come up with totally new ideas, you could probably compare most episodes of SG to other TV shows and movies.

Spoiler
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
They don’t get home, it’s an illusion.

Selmak
July 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I doubt he would post more "Atlantis sucks" type post if no one cared/replayed.

acdj31
July 20th, 2004, 11:04 AM
It’s impossible to come up with totally new ideas, you could probably compare most episodes of SG to other TV shows and movies.

I agree. IMHO there are some ideas that you could fall back on. Like parallel universes, or being far away from home. I think every sci-fi show does that to some degree. :rolleyes:

pete1336
July 20th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I think this may well be my first post here and I wanted to say..I thouroughly enjoyed the first two eps of Atlantis, they were very strong and I think that if this is the way of things to come we are in for a very enjoyable series. :D

Elwe Singollo
July 20th, 2004, 11:58 AM
I think this may well be my first post here and I wanted to say..I thouroughly enjoyed the first two eps of Atlantis, they were very strong and I think that if this is the way of things to come we are in for a very enjoyable series. :DSame exact way i feel about SG1 :D

DownFallAngel
July 20th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Seeing as how Indeed can't agree with some people....

"I too agree with whatever you guys are saying...blah blah blah blah blah!!!" :D

Replicarter
July 20th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I think someones trying to increase there post count by posting one word replys, *cough*DFA*cough*.

DownFallAngel
July 20th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I think someones trying to increase there post count by posting one word replys, *cough*DFA*cough*.

Hey...why don't you uh....go refresh... :D

And.... :p

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 12:16 PM
That and we keep adding things about Atlantis NOT sucking to the Atlantis sucks thread, most amusing.

Replicarter
July 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
But that’s ok thought, cause if it were just comments on how it sucked it wouldn’t be much do a discussion, so other views need to be added to show it doesn’t suck.

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 12:27 PM
OT: BTW Replicarter, did you see my post in response to your question about +or-rep?

Hohenzollern
July 20th, 2004, 12:51 PM
... the idea, 'Hey let's contact the Asgaard and ask them to send a ship to pick up the group.' I mean they're only in the Pegasus Galaxy, a satellite galaxy of the Milky Way Galaxy. They could get there in no time. Besides, the Asgaard would probably be very interested in looking around the Lost City of the Ancients. Of course, General O'Neill would have to admit to the Asgaard, 'Yep, we screwed up again.

You do raise many valid and well stated points, as is the purpose of the forum. I for one agree with this Asgard point. Pegasus is in the local group and they could be rescued by the Asgard. BUT are we concerned that the
Asgard would spirit all the cool toys away to "protect" us? We still do not fully know the Asgard Agenda.
I also would have tried to contact the Asgard to help us exploit the discoveries in Antarctica and to locate more ZPMs in our own galaxy. However doing that would likely violate the Protected Planets treaty between the Asgard and the System Lords. A rescue of a team off world could be allowed, but co development of ancient tech would be a no no.
Remember the treaty is still in effect (though Baal and the system lords may have realized the Asgard's bluff -- New Order). But as the System Lords may becoming wise to the true situation of the Asgard it "could" happen. The treaty unravels and all bets would be off. So yes...bring in the Asgard or AT THE VERY LEAST, I would like to see this answered or dealt with in future Atlantis episodes.
Of course the show has only been on air since breakfast. We will see how it unfolds.

11. In conclusion, I will occasionally watch Atlantis for the same reason I watched Star Trek: Voyager to the end, just to see how bad it can get. I won't look forward to it each week, like Stargate SG-1. Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!

I enjoyed Farscape, especially the Hallucinatory masochistic leather episode, BUT would you not say that Farscape also follows the "Lost in Space" plot structure? The guy did get lost on the other side of the galaxy...trying to find his way back home via wormhole, thwarted in several attempts, etc.

While Galactica did sour me on the "lost in space concept" by not wrapping it up (Gal 1980 does not count), I did love the character development and interplay in Voyager. I particularly loved DS9 character development. Four DS9 episodes in my mind where Hugo-worthy.
A show wont be firing on all cylinders every week. It happens. I will watch, and the characters will be fleshed out, grow, etc. Took two seasons for me to really get into DS9, where I bothered to record episodes when away.

Overall, I liked this first episode(s). LOVED the score and glad to be reacquainted with the score used at the end of Lost City. Good stuff. Looking foward to the CD, should it come out. Lots of nice piano work on this score.

I liked the opening. I LOVED the montage of some of the individual's preparations for departure (leaving the cat, hugging parents, etc); with Dr. Weir's letter to her husband voiced over. I would have preferred to see her husband sign the obligatory papers that go with such a clearance, but eh...only two hours I guess. While the video made the nice voice over...that was a off-putting way to inform one's spouse/boyfriend, whatever he was. ;-0

I would have liked to see more explanation of where the ancient planet address came from. From the outpost...but from a database...another cartouche...? Rather than present day they could have somehow alluded to a year (+/-) since the attack by anubis, etc. Unless I missed that. Dr. Weir did comment choosing team members for months, so it obviously has been some time passage. That could have been the allusion to time passage...?

Also we do not currently know if the ZPM energy source was drained, by using it for the transport to Atlantis, and thus whether or not the Antarctic base has power. Without it, earth is defenseless, not that we knew what to do with the tech anyway. (Asgard please!) I would have looked for more ZPMs elsewhere in our galaxy, before sacrificing the one at Antarctica. I would like to see this visited in future episodes. The whys or why nots.

The ZPM they did use, to power the gate for the outbound trip; why did it not glow until powered up? In last episode of Season 7 we saw the thing glow at all times, even when ferried in Sam's rucksack, showing it was powered. Only the depleted ZPMs are dark. This scene of the dark ZPM that had to be turned on somehow seemed inconsistent.

On Atlantis, I did like Dr Weir getting Dr McKay to knock off the Chevron Countdown. "Rodney...?!"

And when Dr McKay said, as the energy barrier was demonstrated,
"uuusing powerusing powerusing power!"

Rolling the bottle of Champagne through before wormhole closure was a nice touch. I would have liked to have seen it frosted...I miss that the chill or frosting of objects moving through the wormhole was never carried from the movie to the series.

I really hope the international team member characters are developed further.
That Asian female with the Phillipine flag patch (speaking to Daniel just prior to O'Neill asking "Are we there yet?") was very, very nice. I would like to see her again.;-0 Would like to see some French team members too. Cast in a good light too mind you.

Thank god they brought Marines with them!

Wraith "Dart" ships. Tres COOL!! Though it could bode ill for the team, I am aching to see that Wraith mothership underway. They had better address it and the location of the other Wraith, more detailed origins.

Some good points raised...but I will wait and see and hope they are addressed in the show. Perhaps the writers peruse these boards to gauge viewer opinion? They'd be shortsighted not to do something like that?

Replicarter
July 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM
yea, i made my reply by editing the origonal post.

Mio
July 20th, 2004, 01:27 PM
However doing that would likely violate the Protected Planets treaty between the Asgard and the System Lords
By giving us advanced weapons and shields for prometheus, The treaty doesn't exist anymore.

Kraw
July 20th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I never watched ANY of the star trek shows, so I can't compare it

I'll say it kinda like Phil Hendrie does

"don't get upset folks, it's just [show biz] entertainment!"

I was pessimistic at first, but I really liked the permier. Looking forward to more!

Erin
July 20th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Mr. Negative...

The thing I most disagree with you on is Colonel Sumner. He was so unlikable and so not cool that if he had not died, I would have hated the show, haha. I could not stand his presence at all and could not bear watching him over and over again.

I liked Voyager. It was my favorite Trek show. I like Weir. I love McKay and I love all the other characters and plot.

ylai
July 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM
Mr. Negative...

The thing I most disagree with you on is Colonel Sumner. He was so unlikable and so not cool that if he had not died, I would have hated the show, haha. I could not stand his presence at all and could not bear watching him over and over again.

I liked Voyager. It was my favorite Trek show. I like Weir. I love McKay and I love all the other characters and plot.

It is an absolute mystery (and therefore unconvincing) why this guy has been choosen as the military leader in the first place. Not does he lacks

- fundamental leadership skills (pissing up the second ranked person completely in the beginning is pointless and unproductive, if you want to work with him for the next years to come),

- elementary diplomatic skills (looking arrogantly and as if your negotiation partner is not present is not very helpful),

- serious problem with safety judgement and responsible behavior (heading into the ruins despite warnings without first learning the details of those people's fear is quite reckless)

he also has a serious problem with finding excuses for his action ("These people cannot help us" - just because he fails to negotiate with them), and being easily misled by what appears to him as obvious. I would further guess that he feels challenged by MAJ Sheppard, as the rank difference to him is significantly less than the rest of the military team.

Again: When I watched the episode, I always want to ask the same question Amanda Tapping asked during the sweepstake advertising: "Where did they find these people?" Seriously: Weir refered these people as the best and brightest - is she kidding?

SBacklin
July 20th, 2004, 02:37 PM
6. The newer version stargates look silly. They resemble the fake stargate on the fake show Wormhole X-treme. Are flashing lights on a stargate really an advancement in technology for the people who built the stargates? I think the Ancients could have incorporated flashing lights on the older stargates as well.
9. As for the character of Dr. McKay, why would the producers include the most annoying character from SG-1 in this show? The character is a weasel. Remember how he was quite unhelpful, to say the least, when Teal'c was stuck in the Stargate. It would have been better to put Dom DeLuise's character of Urgo in the lineup or maybe Harlan the android who always says "comtrya!".

See here's your problem. <snipped by moderator> Although there are two points where I would agree. The new Dr Weir is not cool and boring. The other one is the obvious thought "why doesn't the SGC contact the Asgard to send a ship to Atlantis???" <snipped by moderator> You're comparisons and gripes about the show are <snipped by moderator> You say that you're going to watch it occasionaly just to see how bad it gets. Bullsh*t, you will end up watching all the episodes or none at all. The watching it sometimes thing is crap. <snipped by moderator>
I liked the premier of Atlantis. I will not say if the show sucks or not until the storyline really starts to pick up.

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Quote snipped by moderator

Ok, I'm no mod, but that definately sounded hostile/demeaning towards divine shadow. I understand if you disagree strongly with him, I know I do, but you shouldn't be quite that... descriptive about who he is and what he should do. Those were some pretty strong words and I do not think divineshadow's argument is valid, that doesn't give me the right to say mean things about him. I'm jsut saying this becasue I did soemthing similar when I was first starting out, and I didn't even realize my post was overly offensive to people. I have since learned to be more carefull and more considerate of people's rights to talk freely on the forum. Don't make the same mistake as me, most people here are very nice, I know they make me feel welcome. Sometimes you get some bad apples, but the Mods take care of them is they get out of line.

Elitenova
July 20th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Voyager was accidently sent to another part of the galaxy. Atlantis, they want to go and to what purpose I dont know.

ylai
July 20th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Voyager was accidently sent to another part of the galaxy. Atlantis, they want to go and to what purpose I dont know.

This now becomes a bit off-topic:

In the case of Voyager, it was not quite an accident. The Caretaker was intentionally bringing people from across the galaxy. It was just involuntarily from the point of view of the Voyager crew (and of the Marquis involved, of course).

SBacklin
July 20th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Ok, I'm no mod, but that definately sounded hostile/demeaning towards divine shadow. I understand if you disagree strongly with him, I know I do, but you shouldn't be quite that... descriptive about who he is and what he should do. Those were some pretty strong words and I do not think divineshadow's argument is valid, that doesn't give me the right to say mean things about him. I'm jsut saying this becasue I did soemthing similar when I was first starting out, and I didn't even realize my post was overly offensive to people. I have since learned to be more carefull and more considerate of people's rights to talk freely on the forum. Don't make the same mistake as me, most people here are very nice, I know they make me feel welcome. Sometimes you get some bad apples, but the Mods take care of them is they get out of line.

Yeah perhaps, I guess I could've toned it down just a bit. I will admit that. However, I still mean everything I said. Basically, I was trying to say that the way he take every single tiny little thing and nags it to death. Any normal minded person would not care about most of what he was talking about. They would simply enjoy it or not enjoy it. His post obviously points out that he is a very angry person in general and likes to criticize everything. I know from experience. I have to deal with relatives that are the same exact way. Sorry if I offended anyone else, but I stick with the meaning of my original post.

Hail Stargate
July 20th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Interesting...

You think this Stargate: Atlantis SUCKS!

So...

I'll give you my an opinion.

YOU'RE AFRAID OF YOURSELF THAT YOU LIKE STARGATE: ATLANTIS!

So, the others will think you're a nerd like Star Trek's geeks. (cluck)

HELL, THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!! IT A STARGATE!!!

Actually, I like Star Trek. But really best Stargate... more actions... less science words.

AMEN!

If anyone agree this... Post Relay.

GateGipsy
July 21st, 2004, 05:06 AM
Please folks remember our main rule here at GateWorld - No negative personal remarks about other posters/cast/crew ie real people.

Negative personal remarks will not be tolerated. If you wish to post here you must do so according to the GateWorld rules.

Selmak
July 21st, 2004, 05:16 AM
Interesting...

You think this Stargate: Atlantis SUCKS!

So...

I'll give you my an opinion.

YOU'RE AFRAID OF YOURSELF THAT YOU LIKE STARGATE: ATLANTIS!

So, the others will think you're a nerd like Star Trek's geeks. (cluck)

HELL, THIS IS NOT STAR TREK!!! IT A STARGATE!!!

Actually, I like Star Trek. But really best Stargate... more actions... less science words.

AMEN!

If anyone agree this... Post Relay.
Hey!!! Do you know the difference between a Star Trek fan and a Stargate fan? When someone posts Star Trek Sucks! or Star Trek Fans are Nerds on their message board NO ONE CARES... So the people stop posting stuff like that. It's not fun to poke something that doesn't react. My solution... If you are a true Stargate Fan stop posting on this thread or any similar threads and they will stop.

furry
July 21st, 2004, 06:01 AM
I didn't like the first 2 seasons of the Stargate SG-1. Everything was revolved around exploring primitive tribes on some backwood planet. The series only started to improve when the writers played more on the Goa'uld, Tokra, Asgard storylines.

I am guessing the same thing is happening with Atlantis. Again we are exploring primitive tribes. It may take a season or two before the Atlantis writers will really get the story interesting.

That's another problem I have with stories revolving around primitive tribes. This is a sci fi series, not a documentary on pre historic human civilization.

Stargate Agent
July 21st, 2004, 06:33 PM
Atlantis should be cancelled and the SciFi Channel should spend the money on two full seasons of Farscape instead of just a miniseries!

HAHAhAHA ya right. Farscape's ratings sucked harsh why would sci fi be stupid enough to spend money on that. Stargate however, has ratings going through the roof. And as I am writing this Stargate Atlantis has had the highest ratings ever for a series on SCI FI. Farscape never even made it close to that. As O'neill said one "There is always one of you in a crowd."

Indiana
July 25th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Dunno if anyone has pointed this out, but this guy posted the exact same thing on the IMDB boards:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/board/nest/10186310
:rolleyes:

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks for pointing that out!

Indiana
July 25th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks for pointing that out!

sorry...had someone already done so? :(

Just that erm...this guy has probably posted this on a whole heap of other forums and is spamming that he hates it...everywhere.

Ugly Pig
July 25th, 2004, 05:13 PM
And notice that he only has one post... He hasn't been back since. I smell a troll.

Buzz Lightyear
July 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Dunno if anyone has pointed this out, but this guy posted the exact same thing on the IMDB boards:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/board/nest/10186310
:rolleyes:

He has written no follow-up messages. He appears to be a "hit 'n' run" poster who doesn't have the courage of his convictions to defend his viewpoint against the inevitable flood of arguments.

He did change the tense from the imdb.com post to this forum's edition though.

Anthro Girl
July 25th, 2004, 07:36 PM
And notice that he only has one post... He hasn't been back since. I smell a troll.
Yeppers. Gawd...I wonder how long it took him to compose that and post it all over creation. All that energy and then...BLAM! ;)

Never did answer the question as to whether or not s/he was a Lexx fan...

Tokraed
July 25th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Oh, my ... you HAVE been busy, haven't you! How thoughtful of you to enumerate for us.

More like ST: Deep Space 9. It was all voluntary and they're just struggling not to blow themselves up or tick off too many aliens ... oops, too late!

Yep ... we're looking at more character-driven episodes, which doesn't bother me in the least, especially if they come up with more interesting CGI effects and the occasional rocking explosions and space battles.

And O'Neill would readily admit that to anyone ... when???

Besides, who said that the SGC won't send a Christmas card once a year?

I like the new Gate. Since Atlantis was the Ancients last and greatest city, you'd be expecting that the Gate would be a little more aesthetically appealing. Kinda like the difference between the Wright Bros. Flyer and the Concorde.

McKay ROCKS, buddy!! It takes a lot of work to make a weaselly character interesting and fun.

And what's up with the "dis" to Urgo?? You've got a thing against desserts? Urgo was just a big, sweet, curious child.

I believe someone else has already defended Harlan, though I find my sentiments run along the lines of O'Neill's when it comes to dealing with him.

There is so much I could say about how this particular section reveals certain aspects, especially about our current society, but I will refrain my comments to just this: If you don't like something, why do you feel compelled to waste your time and energy when you could be doing something more beneficial for yourself or others?

It's only a television show and the television is just a piece of furniture.

random user
July 26th, 2004, 01:09 AM
I think one fundamental differenece between Voyager and Atlantis is that Voyager got built up so much that if they ever did manage to find their way home, the show would end.

I don't feel the same way about Atlantis. Let's say they find the power and get to go back. So, ok we have some nifty new toys that we may or may not be able how to figure out how they work. We also get a new enemy that we'll need new tech against.

But, I could a plotline where they establish contact with Earth again and the show still works. Especially if the old SG-1 team retires (or their characters are otherwise taken care of ), in essence you could fold Atlantis and SG-1 together and the show would still work.

Voyager suffered the problem that you knew the crew was doomed, that they would always be foiled (well, except for the last episode). I don't feel that the Atlantis crew is doomed never to succeed.

Anubis
July 26th, 2004, 02:01 AM
The thing is, Voyager is something completley different to SGA

GateAngel
July 26th, 2004, 07:54 AM
<<The odds of finding anything truely original in scifi is slim. Get over it.>>

I think its fine that everyone has a different viewpoint, but can we please refrain from using insulting terms like 'get over it' to dismiss an opinion or a view that is different from our own.

I came back to GW because I was told it was a different and more friendly place then before..but what do I see? The very same attitude that originally made this forum uncomfortable for me.

People should never be subjected to being told ' to get over it' if they hold an opinion or a viewpoint about something, especially when it does not break the rules of the forum.

Buzz Lightyear
July 26th, 2004, 08:40 AM
People should never be subjected to being told ' to get over it' if they hold an opinion or a viewpoint about something, especially when it does not break the rules of the forum.

When did "get over it" become an insult?

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 09:22 AM
"Get over it" does have an insulting connotaion. It implies that the person's opinion is somehow wrong and that they need to move on and forget it. I really like Atlantis but I don't think that people who don't should "get over it". Atlantis has been heavily hyped and I know people that were really looking forward to it but were sorely disapointed. Why shouldn't people be allowed to vent if they were really looking forward to something and it wasn't all that they expected?

VirtualCLD
July 26th, 2004, 09:30 AM
And that's the problem I had, I never thought of "get over it" to be insulting or negative, but I can understand how poeple can read it that way. I think I've learned to be more careful with my words in the future, but we'll have to see about that. If people want to voice their opinion about why Atlantis is bad, even if you think their arguements are completely invalid, they still ahve a right to voice them. You are allowed to follow up with counter-arguements and explain why you believe their points are invalid, but again, that's your opinion. (At least I think you can do that, that is what I've done on occasion).

I still think I haven't seen enough of Atlantis to really analyze it yet. I know I didn't like Weir at first, but after re-watching Rising and Hide and Seek several times, I think I like the character more and more. I'll just have to see how the show progresses.

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 10:22 AM
When did "get over it" become an insult?
"Get over it" - at least when I use it seriously - is meant to imply that the person who is not "over it" is investing valuable emotional effort into something that is not worth it. Anyone with an emotional investment in anything, no matter how small, doesn't like to be told they're wasting their time.

Now, I've told my boss to "get over it", but I believe that was in response to the statment "My computer doesn't love me."

Context is everything. :D

Buzz Lightyear
July 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM
"Get over it" does have an insulting connotaion. It implies that the person's opinion is somehow wrong and that they need to move on and forget it. I really like Atlantis but I don't think that people who don't should "get over it". Atlantis has been heavily hyped and I know people that were really looking forward to it but were sorely disapointed. Why shouldn't people be allowed to vent if they were really looking forward to something and it wasn't all that they expected?

Sure they can vent. Doesn't mean someone else can't counter-vent by saying, "Get over it."

Personally, I don't view it as an insult at all, more an expression of exasperation or like the sarcastic emoticon of rolling one's eyes.

Hmmm, maybe I should say that anyone who takes "get over it" overly personal as an insult should, ahem, "get over it"..... Nah... ;)

Anubis
July 26th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Oh get over it! :D It's just a expression!

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Sure they can vent. Doesn't mean someone else can't counter-vent by saying, "Get over it."

Personally, I don't view it as an insult at all, more an expression of exasperation or like the sarcastic emoticon of rolling one's eyes.

Hmmm, maybe I should say that anyone who takes "get over it" overly personal as an insult should, ahem, "get over it"..... Nah... ;)

Telling someone to get over their opinion isn't venting it's telling them that their opinion is somehow not valid. If you don't view it as an insult well then bully for you but by saying that anyone who views it as insulting should get over it is purposefully inflammatory and just for the purpose of causing trouble.

sshspooky
July 26th, 2004, 12:51 PM
perhaps all the people talking about the phrase 'get over it' should 'get over it' so that we can get back on topic ;), which is whether Atlantis does or does not suck. Personally i do not think it sucks. it has lots of great qualities, and really needs to be seen more to make a proepr decision on whether it is good or bad, but i don't think it could ever be as bad as 'sucks', unless, and this is the only way it could suck:

they find a mirror that they know nothing about, someone touches it, sees an Alternative universe where Atlantis is destroyed by the Wraith, then returns to find the government is closing own the Stargate Atlantis project, where we are then treated to a clip show refreshing fewers on the present season, the Stargate program being ended, and everyone going home apart from a small team who decide to go through the stargate, find themselves on a Wraith ship, and are able to destroy it before it reaches Atlantis. however the Atlantis team all arrive safely, and the SGA is re-opened, and they are happy for a while, then they meet some renegade Wraiths who call themselfs Tok'Wraiths, who are against the Wraiths. then a few episodes later a Wraith hated by the system Wraiths captures the SGA team, and makes them think it is the future so they have to relive memories to give the Wraith enough information to take over Atlantis and gain the technology to defeat the System Wraiths. this Wraith is defeated, then they meet a new race who is a member of a major alliance in the pegasus galaxy, who then helps us make a treaty with the system Wraiths so that Atlantis will not be attacked. We then start destroying System Wraiths one after the other, each having stranger and stranger names, until some metalic ants crawl in to the base and start eating it, where we decide the best way to defeat them will be to freeze them in time so that they will eat the base slower until we find a way to defeat them. and in later seasons, one of the characters can learn to ascend, which he will, then we will get a replacement sent from earth, who, after a year when the first guy comes back, will bugger off home cause he was homesick. we will then start searching for a lost city full of weapons to destroy an even bigger, badder Wraith, until we find this city is in another galaxy, so they get another team sent out to this galaxy to star in another spin-off while we deal with the ants who have escaped the block of ice we left them in.

now, due to how predictable and boring the series would be, if this is what happens over the next few years, then yes, Stargate Atlantis does suck. if this does not happen, then i think it will perform excellently.

Anthro Girl
July 26th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Personally i do not think it sucks. it has lots of great qualities, and really needs to be seen more to make a proepr decision on whether it is good or bad, but i don't think it could ever be as bad as 'sucks', unless, and this is the only way it could suck: ...
Didn't like much past SG-1, Season 1, eh? :D

(Just kidding. Very clever and yes, if that did happen it would certainly "suck".)

Shipperahoy
July 26th, 2004, 01:20 PM
perhaps all the people talking about the phrase 'get over it' should 'get over it' so that we can get back on topic

Perhaps we would move on from the topic if people like you didn't constantly repeat it in an insulting manner. And (just a tip) if someone, especially a mod, says that they find that phrase insulting to say it again is being purposefully insulting. And that's a no no. So just drop that phrase.

sshspooky
July 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Perhaps we would move on from the topic if people like you didn't constantly repeat it in an insulting manner. And (just a tip) if someone, especially a mod, says that they find that phrase insulting to say it again is being purposefully insulting. And that's a no no. So just drop that phrase.

that wasn't in an insulting manner, that was my jokey way of getting this thread back on topic. i've added a winkeye smiley to make this more clear now. :(

Buzz Lightyear
July 26th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Telling someone to get over their opinion isn't venting it's telling them that their opinion is somehow not valid. If you don't view it as an insult well then bully for you but by saying that anyone who views it as insulting should get over it is purposefully inflammatory and just for the purpose of causing trouble.

Missed the sarcasm, did you? :rolleyes:

Bagpuss
July 27th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Missed the sarcasm, did you? :rolleyes:
Shipperahoy is a Moderater.Whether she "missed the sarcasm" isn't the point !
The Mods decide what's acceptable,or not,and frankly,she deserves respect from us all.
She's just doing her job,so accept her point of view, please. :D
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#
To all:
Feelings are running high on this Thread,and if it goes too far,the Mods will simply close it down.That'd be a pity,IMO,as there are some really interesting views here ! :(

Anubis
July 27th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Bagpuss is right, respect is needed! :)

Praxus
July 27th, 2004, 06:50 AM
The only complaints I have about Stargate in general is that they tend to be a bunch of Liberals, creating unrealistic solutions to complex situations. The other complaint is that they never bring indirect fire assets such as mortars (besides the one noteble exception in Season 7 SG-1 but that was a dinky mortar). I guess that's because it would cost more money to film and it would kind of suck to be not human, we could simply open up with artillery before they got anywhere near.

Other then that both series are very enjoyable.

Selmak
July 27th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Hey!!! Do you know the difference between a Star Trek fan and a Stargate fan? When someone posts Star Trek Sucks! or Star Trek Fans are Nerds on their message board NO ONE CARES... So the people stop posting stuff like that. It's not fun to poke something that doesn't react. My solution... If you are a true Stargate Fan stop posting on this thread or any similar threads and they will stop.

/\ I'm quoting myself because it needs to be said again!

Stop responding and this thread will die!!!

Buzz Lightyear
July 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Shipperahoy is a Moderater.Whether she "missed the sarcasm" isn't the point !
The Mods decide what's acceptable,or not,and frankly,she deserves respect from us all.
She's just doing her job,so accept her point of view, please. :D

Hmm, that WAS the point of the comment.

Ok, let me re-state more clearly.

No disrespect was ever intended, to Shipperahoy or the original poster. The discussion has devolved to arguments over semantics and context, on which everyone will never agree anyway.

Ugly Pig
July 27th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Why is this thread even around anymore? The original poster was a troll and hasn't been back, and it doesn't look like anyone else here think Atlantis sucks. So, where's the debate?

sshspooky
July 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
personally i'd say we should wait to atlantis season 1 ends then someone should set up a thread with a poll that has a bunch of options, which i would choose to eb the following:

Atlantis is better then SG-1
Atlantis Season One was better then SG-1 Season 1
Atlantis is brill, can't wait for the next season!
Atlantis was good, but there's room for improvement.
Atlantis was ok, nothing special.
Atlantis was rubbish
Atlantis was terrible, I won't be watching it next year
Atlantis was so bad I've already stopped watching it

or soemthing like that. the people can vote and discuss the good and bad points. a thread like this isn't really that smart for discussion purposes as it is really supposed to be a one opinion thread. and at the moment i think it is only fair to say that on first impressions after just two weeks worth of episodes, that you either like or dislike it. until we've seen a whole season, seen how the characters and enemies have been presented and changed, what arcs have existed and what the storylines are like, we cannot fairly judge atlantis. at the end of the year we can have a thread as i mentioned and those of varying opinions can discuss atlantis properly. and this thread can fade in to obscurity.

would that be a good idea, or am i just a complete looney? or both?

mango
July 27th, 2004, 03:23 PM
2. The asgard could get a ship to the pegasus galaxy... But then what ? the asgard arent gonna wanna ship humans from earth to atlantis all the time. It seems they already have alot of data from the ancients, they just cant work it out!

The asgard have plenty of power to run the atlantis gate. Let em start it up and everyone can gate home and there is now a permanent link bewteen earth and atlantis. Too easy.

Anthro Girl
July 27th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Why is this thread even around anymore? The original poster was a troll and hasn't been back, and it doesn't look like anyone else here think Atlantis sucks. So, where's the debate?
C'mon, Piggy...let's go find one! :D

Agreed. Thread is dead. Of course, I'm not helping...so I'll shut up now. :p

mango
July 27th, 2004, 03:37 PM
HAHAhAHA ya right. Farscape's ratings sucked harsh why would sci fi be stupid enough to spend money on that. Stargate however, has ratings going through the roof. And as I am writing this Stargate Atlantis has had the highest ratings ever for a series on SCI FI. Farscape never even made it close to that. As O'neill said one "There is always one of you in a crowd."
Of course it had high ratings - it had been hyped to death and it followed a new season premier of SG-1. It would have been amazing if it hadn't scored high.

Even I watched it and I now think SGA is very bad. Bad acting, bad editing, bad plots, no imagination. I'll give it a few more viewings but if it doesn;t get better fast I won;t bother. Tries too hard to be funny and just comes across as dumb. No suspense with all the jokes. Tired old story lines just set in a new gate room.

Ar-Pharazon
July 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM

I'm not even going to bother reading the numerous pages between the first post and this one, but I have to point out if it hasn't already been that while Voyager and Atlantis have the same basic premise, the aformentioned transportation to somewhere far away, but this is where the similarities end, period. In Voyager they didn't have a choice, they just got shot out into a different quadrant of space, while Atlantis every single person CHOSE to go. Which also kills your sarcastic entry about going to another galaxy and being stuck there. Lastly, if both Voyager and Atlantis didn't "anger lots of aliens along the way" the the show's wouldn't be at all interesting. Are you trying to say you just want to see a show where everyone is friends and theres no conflict at all? If you do I'm sure Barney is a perfect show for you. While you did a good job with listing quite a few reasons for you not to watch the show it's not going to change anyone here's opinion of the show, so I have to wonder why the heck you posted this at all. Attention-whore anyone?

shinyredpants
July 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM
wait...if this person is hating atlantis but watching it...that means they're all for keeping it going...

if all ppl who hate things like this keep watching then of course it'll never go off the air...

MORONS

furry
July 27th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Startrek Voyager sucked. It remains to be seen if Atlantis will suck.

divineshadow
July 28th, 2004, 02:11 AM
DIVINESHADOW RESPONDS!!!

1. First of all, I would like to say STARGATE ATLANTIS STILL SUCKS!!
2. I was inspired to write my scathing review of Stargate Atlantis titled STARGATE ATLANTIS SUCKS! because I felt that the much hyped show was an insult to my superior intellect. When I watch a scifi series, I would like to learn something of value every now and then. I want a show that occasionally stimulates my mind. [Mod snip] I don’t want a show that is so illogical and has so many big plotholes that you could fly a Goa’uld Mothership through them.
3. Some people on this thread have called me a troll. My people consider that term to be very insultive. I am actually an Underpants Gnome from South Park, Colorado.
4. The foundation of this show is that they are stuck on Atlantis without enough power to get back to Earth. STUPID!!! Stargate Command could use the device that O’Neill built when he had the knowledge of the Ancients in his head, the first time, to power Earth’s stargate. O’Neill used it to gate to the Asgaard’s home galaxy, I think it would do the job to successfully gate to the Milky Way’s satellite galaxy, Pegasus. Hopefully, they brought it back with them from the alternate universe that had the Samantha Carter who wore that horribly fake wig. With the additional power they could contact the crew and send all the naquadah reactors to the stranded Atlantis crew that they could ever possibly need. The SGC would have one honkin’ big electricity bill for that month, but PROBLEM SOLVED! Of course, they won’t think of this.
5. For the guy that said that the Pegasus Galaxy is actually a satellite galaxy of the Andromeda Galaxy and not a satellite of the Milky Way Galaxy, why don’t you check out the map of The Local Group of Galaxies at the web address:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group
6. Some people have stated that the difference between Star Trek: Voyager and Stargate Atlantis is that the people went to the City voluntarily and the crew of the Voyager did not go to the Delta Quadrant voluntarily. That is technically true, but the crew of the Voyager did stay in the Delta Quadrant voluntarily. Near the end of the Voyager pilot, Captain Janeway made the decision (and everybody else went along with it) that the crew of Voyager would have to stay behind to make sure that the Caretaker Teleportation Array was destroyed so that no other species could use it. This is why Star Trek: Voyager was fundamentally stupid. Janeway and crew trusted their technology to regularly propel them hundreds of times faster than the speed of light and to dematerialize and rematerialize them, but she did not trust their technology to destroy the Caretaker’s array after they had used it to get back to the Alpha Quadrant. Ughh, come on.
7. For the person that said I must not be a scientist because I would not have wanted to go on that cockamany, possibly one-way trip to Atlantis. Actually, I am a scientist. I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biochemistry. I am just not a crazy scientist. I would have preferred to stay at the SGC and conducted experiments to find the most efficient way to get into Lt. Col. Samantha Carter’s pants.
[Mod snip]
9. The only additional thing that I want to say about the annoying Dr. McKay is that I am really glad he is NOT wearing a U.S. Flag on his sleeve.
10. In the episode ‘Hide and Seek’, Dr. Weir said that they could have only brought “one personal item.” Oh my god, they are even ripping off Survivor!
11. Yes, I am a LEXX fan. I didn’t learn much from this show, except how most of the female stars look naked, but it was a lot of fun anyway. [Mod snip]
12. I said in STARGATE ATLANTIS SUCKS! that I would occasionally watch this show. After seeing the third episode, ‘Hide and Seek’ and the preview for the fourth episode, I will have to say, NOT. I’m giving up on this turkey. See ya.
13. Oh yes, one more thing before I go: I HATE TEAL’C WITH HAIR !!!!!

Sincerely,

Divineshadow

May his shadow fall on you.

GateAngel
July 28th, 2004, 05:51 AM
Well I thought the Atlantis pilot was a pretty lame rehash of CoTG right down to exact dialog and scenes. Really liked Sheppard though and still hope he gets moved over to Stargate SG1 soon.

shinyredpants
July 28th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Well I thought the Atlantis pilot was a pretty lame rehash of CoTG right down to exact dialog and scenes. Really liked Sheppard though and still hope he gets moved over to Stargate SG1 soon.

hey i wanna see the mod snips! you know they gotta be nasty...

Anubis
July 28th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Well, rules are rules and the mods have a rule, mod the rules! Confusing! :S

VirtualCLD
July 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
What are mod snips?

shinyredpants
July 28th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Well, rules are rules and the mods have a rule, mod the rules! Confusing! :S

i have nothing against mods...i should refrain what i said..

you know what the mods snipped has to be nasty...

the mods are generally only slightly evil! even then...they've given me no grief cuz i'm a good girl, sometimes...

Anthro Girl
July 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM
DIVINESHADOW RESPONDS!!!
Well, thank goodness for that!

2. I was inspired to write my scathing review of Stargate Atlantis titled STARGATE ATLANTIS SUCKS! because I felt that the much hyped show was an insult to my superior intellect.
divineshadow...divineshadow...superior intellect...divine shadow... :confused:

Stargate Command could use the device that O’Neill built when he had the knowledge of the Ancients in his head, the first time, to power Earth’s stargate. O’Neill used it to gate to the Asgaard’s home galaxy, I think it would do the job to successfully gate to the Milky Way’s satellite galaxy, Pegasus. Hopefully, they brought it back with them from the alternate universe that had the Samantha Carter who wore that horribly fake wig.
We never saw that they brought it back from the AU, but there's a long discussion about this somewhere. Basically, I think the answer is "because it's a tv show..." :D :p

12. I said in STARGATE ATLANTIS SUCKS! that I would occasionally watch this show. After seeing the third episode, ‘Hide and Seek’ and the preview for the fourth episode, I will have to say, NOT. I’m giving up on this turkey. See ya.
Well, you gave it your best, then. Enjoy the reruns of Lexx and maybe Tripping the Rift will get a movie deal.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and yours certainly is one. Thanks for sharing...

VirtualCLD
July 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Oh, I get it, the mods snipped away part of divineshadow's post. I read it before the mods snipped it so I didn't even realize they had done this. I'm glad they did, it was stuff I really didn't need to know, i.e. definately not PG.

shinyredpants
July 28th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Oh, I get it, the mods snipped away part of divineshadow's post. I read it before the mods snipped it so I didn't even realize they had done this. I'm glad they did, it was stuff I really didn't need to know, i.e. definately not PG.

i wanna know what it was! someone should email me and tell me o.o

curiosity gets the best of me

Buzz Lightyear
July 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Care to point out which parts are rehashed? Dialog transripts are worth bonus points.

furry
July 28th, 2004, 10:25 AM
If a show sucks, people should admit that it sucks.

I have to agree with divineshadow, Atlantis sucks, so far.

Hope it will not suck more in the near future.

VirtualCLD
July 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM
i wanna know what it was! someone should email me and tell me o.o

curiosity gets the best of me
You can look up Divineshadow's new post, his e-mail is on it.

Ugly Pig
July 28th, 2004, 10:53 AM
DIVINESHADOW RESPONDS!!!
...and is still a troll, now more obvious than ever.

Once again, what is the point of even keeping this thread around? Yes, GateAngel and a couple of others have popped in to voice their negative opinions on SGA but they've had their say and appear to be done with it. And our troll is just repeating the same old stuff. Can we just be done with it already?

ShadowMaat
July 28th, 2004, 03:13 PM
To those of you who believe Atlantis sucks, do you have any constructive criticisms as to why? Something beyond "It isn't SG-1" or "Daniel/Jack isn't in it" or "It just sucks, you *****!" Is there an actual REASON for your hatred or do you just like screaming yourself into a bloody froth and insulting the show and degrading the fans and flaunting your supposed superiority over the rest of us?

If you do have constructive criticisms about the show, do you have any helpful suggestions on how it might be improved? Something that doesn't involve the show being cancelled, everyone dying, SG-1 taking over or any other similarly petty nonsense...

For those who DO like Atlantis or who are willing to give it a chance, might I suggest other, happier threads such as Stargate Atlantis Rocks! (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2259) I'm rather partial to the Dr. McKay (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=227) thread, myself, but just about any other thread would be better than sitting here bashing your head against the stone wall of intractability. So folks hate the show and that's fine. It's a shame some of them can't be a little more coherent about it, but that's life. ;)

Have FUN. That's the whole point of the forums. It's the point of the shows, too- to entertain. Let's try and remember that, shall we? If you aren't entertained, go juggle flaming poodles or something. :P

Teal'c
July 28th, 2004, 04:53 PM
To those of you who believe Atlantis sucks, do you have any constructive criticisms as to why? Something beyond "It isn't SG-1" or "Daniel/Jack isn't in it" or "It just sucks, you *****!" Is there an actual REASON for your hatred or do you just like screaming yourself into a bloody froth and insulting the show and degrading the fans and flaunting your supposed superiority over the rest of us?

If you do have constructive criticisms about the show, do you have any helpful suggestions on how it might be improved? Something that doesn't involve the show being cancelled, everyone dying, SG-1 taking over or any other similarly petty nonsense...

For those who DO like Atlantis or who are willing to give it a chance, might I suggest other, happier threads such as Stargate Atlantis Rocks! (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2259) I'm rather partial to the Dr. McKay (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=227) thread, myself, but just about any other thread would be better than sitting here bashing your head against the stone wall of intractability. So folks hate the show and that's fine. It's a shame some of them can't be a little more coherent about it, but that's life. ;)

Have FUN. That's the whole point of the forums. It's the point of the shows, too- to entertain. Let's try and remember that, shall we? If you aren't entertained, go juggle flaming poodles or something. :P
THANK YOU!!!

I've talked to one person I know who doesn't like Atlantis (The only person I know who doesn't like it, comparred to the 40 or so others who love it :P) And he never came up with any proper reasons. Example of a conversation:

Him: Weir is annoying.
Me: Why?
Him: She's just annoying!!!
Me: But why!?
Him: And Sheppard sounds stupid.

Never a good reason, he just has an irrational hatred for the show :P

furry
July 28th, 2004, 05:29 PM
A: Why do you think Atlantis sucks?
B: I dunno, because the acting is bad.

A: Can you be a little more constructive, what do you mean acting is bad.
B: I dunno, it just feels like bad acting.

A: You have to be more specific.
B: I dunno, I watch shows for fun, not to analyze it. I do enough analyzing for my work.

A: No, this simply will not do. You have to be more specific.
B: Enough, I feel the acting is bad, and that's reason enough for me.

Buzz Lightyear
July 28th, 2004, 11:51 PM
A: Why do you think Atlantis sucks?
B: I dunno, because the acting is bad.

A: Can you be a little more constructive, what do you mean acting is bad.
B: I dunno, it just feels like bad acting.

A: You have to be more specific.
B: I dunno, I watch shows for fun, not to analyze it. I do enough analyzing for my work.

A: No, this simply will not do. You have to be more specific.
B: Enough, I feel the acting is bad, and that's reason enough for me.

You must be quite the conversationalist. :rolleyes:

legoman
July 29th, 2004, 12:54 AM
For me, the humour seems so forced, it doesnt feel natural like Richard Dean Anderson makes it for example, theres more to being funny than just saying a line any chump can do that, you have to "know where the funny is" in a joke.

I'm not sure if they are bad actors yet, maybe I'm not used to them, none of them are ultra convincing but come on...its sci-fi! As it stands the show seems "try-hard" for lack of a better term.

minimegalaxy2
August 7th, 2004, 10:34 AM
1. This show is really stupid. How exactly are we expected to believe that the Ancients, the extremely intelligent aliens who built the stargates, etc., could have been defeated by those clowns the Wraiths? The Ancients must have become very efemminate weakling liberal peaceniks over time.
2. Another thing, in 'Rising' they showed that frozen Ancient woman. How did she go from being on the City wearing a silvery gray robe to being stuck in the ice wearing a burlap sack? How did she get stuck in the ice anyway? I didn't see any ice when the Atlantis city lifted off from Earth millions of years ago?

Lightmaker
August 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Every show has its growing up period where everything from cast bonding to makeup and hair styles are worked out.

Even a direction for a show takes a while.

Stargate had the movie as a guide. Atlantis doesn't even have that.

You would rather they pull the plug on a show that many more of us enjoy rather than doing what intelligent people do.

TURN THE TV OFF IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT!!!

Fer cryin' out loud!

greytop
August 7th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Every show has its growing up period where everything from cast bonding to makeup and hair styles are worked out.

Even a direction for a show takes a while.

Stargate had the movie as a guide. Atlantis doesn't even have that.

You would rather they pull the plug on a show that many more of us enjoy rather than doing what intelligent people do.

TURN THE TV OFF IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT!!!

Fer cryin' out loud!

I totally agree.

Anthro Girl
August 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
1. This show is really stupid. How exactly are we expected to believe that the Ancients, the extremely intelligent aliens who built the stargates, etc., could have been defeated by those clowns the Wraiths? The Ancients must have become very efemminate weakling liberal peaceniks over time.
AFAIK, we're not exactly sure yet how the Ancients were defeated by the Wraith...or at least I'm not convinced. Hmm...maybe that's one of the reasons I watch the show? :rolleyes: However, calling them "efemminate [sic] weakling liberal peaceniks" implies that you believe that they should have been macho, conservative warmongers...and we don't have evidence of that, either. ;)

2. Another thing, in 'Rising' they showed that frozen Ancient woman. How did she go from being on the City wearing a silvery gray robe to being stuck in the ice wearing a burlap sack?
Ummm...I guess the Ancients were so advanced they should never have to change clothes? There are several discussions going on about the Ancient woman from "Frozen":
-The same girl... then now ? !! (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2222)
-Ayina, Frozen and Atlantis...questions (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=2775)
-Frozen (604) (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=251)
-or just do a search for "frozen woman" and see if you like any of those theories. ;)

Shipperahoy
August 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Well I had thought that the opening scene from the Atlantis premier showed Ayanna (sp?) staying behind on Earth while they moved the city. If that's the case then it's not really any big mystery how she ended up frozen in Antartica. Especially if she was afflicted with the Ancient plague. And I'm sure (well at least I'm hoping) that either SG-1 or Atlantis will go into further detail on that.

Buzz Lightyear
August 7th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Uh, folks...TROLL ALERT???

Osiris-RA
August 7th, 2004, 02:22 PM
you said a mouthful, buddy. i also thought that robert would make a better leader and leave some hope of saving the show, (wasnt he Dogget on x-files?)
meanwhile, we have to watch this geeky guy whose name i cant even remember, that chick with the red hair, (a bad replacement for teal'c?), dr. weir sucks big time, but the most glaring thing about the show is it totally lacks the drive, function and meaning of Stargate sg-1. i feel nothing for any of the characters, especially the "leader" and "colonel" whom we know nothing about. the jokes pass through me like butter on a frying pan, and the wraith are quite possibley the stupidest aleins i have ever seen on sci fi, (next to dino croc). perhaps it will get better with time, but the out look looks grim buds, real grim.

Ugly Pig
August 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
perhaps it will get better with time, but the out look looks grim buds, real grim.
Go back and watch the first five episodes of SG-1 and try telling me they don't suck compared to what has come since. Atlantis has been off to a much better start, so far.

I've been saying a long time that as soon as Atlantis would start, we'd see a bunch of posts proclaiming "Atlantis sucks!" because they expect it to be as great as SG-1 has become with time, right away.

Sometimes I hate being right.

Anthro Girl
August 7th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Sometimes I hate being right.
Yeah, but you always look so cool when you're doing it. :D

Ugly Pig
August 7th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah, but you always look so cool when you're doing it. :D
Aw, shucks. Thanks. It's the shades, isn't it? :D

Wait, what am I doing? This thread is supposed to make me angry and depressed.
There. :mad:

Major Fischer
August 7th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Because I'm always depressed when people tell me things I enjoy suck :D You go Ugly Pig.

Anthro Girl
August 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM
See...I try to cheer you up and you're just determined to be grumpy! :rolleyes: Hmmpf...

furry
August 7th, 2004, 06:14 PM
The first season of SG-1 did suck.

I just hope the first season of Atlantis wont suck as much.

Now I just hope Paris Hilton would stop sucking. :D

APKMatt
August 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Well, as usual, I will take up my job of refuting moronic opinions and making this divineshadow guy cry, so lets begin:

1. First of all, let me say Stargate: Atlantis is going to really really SUCK, big time. Why?, you might ask. Here's why, it has the same basic premise as Star Trek: Voyager which really really sucked big time also. Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.
I didn't realize that the Atlantis team was struggling to get home, seeing as their plan was to get to Atlantis and STAY there to discover the secrets of the Ancients. Why would they get gated out there all that way only to struggle and get home, great logic, did we watch the same show? As far as I can tell, the Atlantis team made more allies than it did enemies, then again, maybe we watched different shows.

Well its good that we have your superior critism to say that a show is going to suck just by a word in the title and not base it on any substance in the show itself, great job Ebert. Hollywood isn't the only one with a fascination with Atlantis, there are people in the real world working to find this historical mystery, and several novels have been written with this city as the setting. Oh, by the way, this show is sci-fi, so you are expected to ignore reality while you watch it.

Again, are we watching the same show? I watched this show the first time it came on and again when it was played on Tuesday and the plot came off more as explorers trying to figure out the mysteries of the Ancients, seeing as its explained that humans are second generation Ancients, or were to too busy making up more falacies that you missed some parts?

As far as I have seen none of the ships in the Asgaard fleet have light speed travel, and it has been see that the Asgaard homeworld also took 8 chevrons, so I can guess we assume that they are located in a different galaxy as well. My point is, seeing a Asgaard ship traveling at normal ship speeds from a different galaxy wouldn't make it in time to Atlantis to see Shepard and Wier's children.

I would continue on but I am laughing so hard when reading your statements over I can concentrate on well thought responces. Overall, your comments are based on remarkable stupidity on your part, read 6, the new look could have basis on the interworkings of the Stargate, the crystals and such, but then again, you spent what, two minutes thinking that complant up. Higginson > Steen, Steen was too messy and flighty to come off as a Doctor and esteemed diplomat. I just hope the next time your fingers grasp your keyboard you will think about what your typing instead of making up stupid reasons to hate a good up and coming spin off of the best sci-fi series on TV.

Lightmaker
August 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Some people just have to pee on our cornflakes. They should be ignored as the anal retentive unhappy souls they are.

There hasn't been a PERFECT sci-fi show, movie or book written, EVER!

Reality and continually changing technology have allowed holes to be blown in ANY premise. I suppose that a lot of this is due to us being much better educated, and that is a good thing. It's also sad.

Being born in 1955 allowed me to grow up before rockets were common and our knowledge of anything in the universe was limited. Forbidden Planet and even Plan 9 From Outer Space were cool and spooky. The Outer Limits scared the hell out of me at 8 years old.

It is a shame that you younger people cannot experience that thrill. Slasher movies are not the same.

I enjoy sci-fi as a wonderful escape from a 40 hour week. SG, SGA and even Enterprise are on my list as welcome diversions from reality. I am looking forward to Battlestar Galactica and EarthSea and the Firefly movie.

A little critique is wonderful, but if your blood pressure is up because you don't enjoy something, then CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!

GEEEZZZ! Unhappy people suck more than the worst tv show!

Anthro Girl
August 8th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Nay...unhappy people who continue to feed their unhappiness by taking the time and effort to find and post on multiple boards...they suck! :D

Livi2Jack
August 8th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I agree about the Goauld being more complex villains. The wraith are like Borg.

Livi2Jack
August 8th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Some people just have to pee on our cornflakes. They should be ignored as the anal retentive unhappy souls they are.

There hasn't been a PERFECT sci-fi show, movie or book written, EVER!

Reality and continually changing technology have allowed holes to be blown in ANY premise. I suppose that a lot of this is due to us being much better educated, and that is a good thing. It's also sad.

Being born in 1955 allowed me to grow up before rockets were common and our knowledge of anything in the universe was limited. Forbidden Planet and even Plan 9 From Outer Space were cool and spooky. The Outer Limits scared the hell out of me at 8 years old.

It is a shame that you younger people cannot experience that thrill. Slasher movies are not the same.

I enjoy sci-fi as a wonderful escape from a 40 hour week. SG, SGA and even Enterprise are on my list as welcome diversions from reality. I am looking forward to Battlestar Galactica and EarthSea and the Firefly movie.

A little critique is wonderful, but if your blood pressure is up because you don't enjoy something, then CHANGE THE CHANNEL!!

Well, I think Stargate SG 1 is about as perfect a sci fi show as they come. And I was born in 1958 so I am on your page. A little wonder and whimsy go a long way. Even the original Star Trek sucked for the first few episodes. Egads, blasphemy, did I say ST original sucked ever?

Humor, good writing, human interest/interaction issues, morality tales, some special effects, and I am hooked. Let's blow sumpin' up.

Anthro Girl
August 8th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Even the original Star Trek sucked for the first few episodes. Egads, blasphemy, did I say ST original sucked ever?
<SMACK> :eek: Blaspheme! Oh, the humanity... :p

Humor, good writing, human interest/interaction issues, morality tales, some special effects, and I am hooked. Let's blow sumpin' up.
Indeed. I'm with you on that one. Where do I sign? :)

Lightmaker
August 8th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I was young and while I liked ST, I thought it had too much smoochin'.

I agree with you, let's blow something up!

I also agree that Stargate is the top of the genre. It helps to care about the characters. Unlike Enterprise. They could red shirt everyone and I really wouldn't care. Keep the ship though! :p

Anthro Girl
August 8th, 2004, 04:08 PM
I was young and while I liked ST, I thought it had too much smoochin'.
It was the '60s. :rolleyes:

Buzz Lightyear
August 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I agree about the Goauld being more complex villains. The wraith are like Borg.

If anything, the Goa'uld are more like the Borg than the Wraith are. Like the Borg, the Goa'uld can take over individuals and impose their will on them.

It's really too early to say what the Wraith will be like.

And the Borg are not as two-dimensional as they might appear. The Borg Queen certainly has many layers of complexity.

MartoufMarty
August 8th, 2004, 05:35 PM
i love stargate atlantis. in my opinion it's even better than stargate sg-1 is right now (i'm not saying sg-1 is bad. it's great. atlantis is even greater).

mckay is one of the best things about the show. he's an arrogant guy who knows he's smart and uses sarcasm to hide that he's insecure about himself and scared sh!tless.

dr. weir is awesome. she knows how to take control lol.

as for star trek voyager... it was the best star trek show. i hate deep space nine, and next generation is kind of cheesy (i like the movies better). enterprise is ranked second to voyager in my books.

as for the Wraith... lots of aliens eat humans! they should have a cookbook out 'How to Serve Man'. every aspect of every scifi show and movie has been done millions of times. it's kind of hard to come up with new and original these days. isn't it the point of aliens that they're a threat to humans? kill 'em, eat 'em, it's over done and classic. what would scifi be without those that eat humans?

and if you don't like the show, stop your *****ing, and stop watching. go find something else to watch during that time slot. or play cards or something.

Taonas
August 8th, 2004, 05:47 PM
As far as I have seen none of the ships in the Asgaard fleet have light speed travel, and it has been see that the Asgaard homeworld also took 8 chevrons, so I can guess we assume that they are located in a different galaxy as well. My point is, seeing a Asgaard ship traveling at normal ship speeds from a different galaxy wouldn't make it in time to Atlantis to see Shepard and Wier's children.

What are you talking about???? The Asgard have the fastest hyperspace travel in all of Stargate! They go from their galaxy to ours in only a few hours, or less!

sabrina
August 8th, 2004, 06:31 PM
I have to agree at this point in the season. Atlantis has been disappointing, so far. The story arcs are non-existant and, other than Ep 1, there has not been much difference (you see ep 2, you've seen ep 3).

The wraith are reminiscent of Buffy and the Vampire characters (horror show monsters). Each Goauld has a distinct personality whereas the wraith do not. I was hoping to see some character development - none yet. Dr. Weir is one dimensional - no charisma nor empathy for her subordinates. Also, Jessica Steen characterized Dr Weir as a 3 dimensional character. Torri Higginson needs to "relax" and humanize her character and NOT rush her lines when she speaks.

The Asgaard would not be much help - the Ancients were subdued by the wraith and the were far superior to the Asgaards.

The writers need to put on their creative hats if they want to save this show.

Also, comparisons to SG-1 is unfair - different actors and characters (don't compare apples to oranges).

I hope the wraith won't be the only non-humans the Atlantis team meets - review of upcoming eps is not encouraging in this area.

I hope I'm proven wrong about Atlantis, we can onlly wait and "view"

Taonas
August 8th, 2004, 06:35 PM
I hope the wraith won't be the only non-humans the Atlantis team meets - review of upcoming eps is not encouraging in this area.

I hope I'm proven wrong about Atlantis, we can onlly wait and "view"

Well, if you think about it. I don't think we'll ever meet a non-human race.

**** Spoilers for Rising *****

The Ancient Holo-Lady said that they put life into a galaxy where there once was none, and then they meet the Wraith.

My theory is that the Wraith consumed ALL the non-human races and then went into hibernation.

Major Fischer
August 8th, 2004, 06:41 PM
The Foothold Aliens! ;)

((Yes, they are my favorite neglected plot teaser.... :p ))

Taonas
August 8th, 2004, 06:44 PM
The Foothold Aliens! ;)

((Yes, they are my favorite neglected plot teaser.... :p ))

*Thinks* They did say that the Goa'Ould are the dominant species of this galaxy, and many think they aren't from our galaxy... What if they're a species the Wraith missed?

Galaxies are big, plus those aliens seem to be good at camoflage... Not as good as the Nox though :p

sabrina
August 8th, 2004, 06:50 PM
The Seberus - in Forsaken was one of the non-human races SG-1 met so it is possible the Atlantis troupe may meet other species besides humans, also. I hope so - the eps need variety!

Major Fischer
August 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
They said they were from another galaxy, but I'm half kidding. SG1 sets up so many things that "we really should hear about again" and than don't. I'm just really fond of the Foothold aliens (how can you not love Evil Janet).

But than again they are my pat answer to any random question.

Person: "Why does the gate do X odd thing in this episode..?"
Me: "It's the Foothold aliens!"

Buzz Lightyear
August 8th, 2004, 09:13 PM
The story arcs are non-existant and, other than Ep 1, there has not been much difference (you see ep 2, you've seen ep 3).

The pilot is episodes 1 and 2. So you must mean 1x03 "Hide and Seek" and 1x04 "Thirty-Eight Minutes". If you think those two episodes are similar, you've got to be kidding. Maybe you re-watched 1x03 and thought it was 1x04?

Btw, go back to the first 5 episodes of Season 1, Stargate SG-1 (Children of the Gods, The Enemy Within, Emancipation, The Broca Divide, The First Commandment) and tell me what story arcs you're able to identify.

The wraith are reminiscent of Buffy and the Vampire characters (horror show monsters). Each Goauld has a distinct personality whereas the wraith do not. I was hoping to see some character development - none yet. Dr. Weir is one dimensional - no charisma nor empathy for her subordinates. Also, Jessica Steen characterized Dr Weir as a 3 dimensional character. Torri Higginson needs to "relax" and humanize her character and NOT rush her lines when she speaks.

I doubt we've actually seen any wraith equivalent of a Goa'uld system lord yet. There are plenty of Goa'uld underlings who are uni-dimensional as well.

As for the oft-repeated observation that Jessica Steen portrayed Dr. Weir so much better than Torri Higginson, I decided to go back and re-watch 7x21 and 7x22, The Lost City, Parts 1 & 2. I thought Steen did a decent job with the character but that Higginson was actually better in a leadership role. I didn't think she rushed any lines at all and had a more "commanding" presence than Steen.

The Asgaard would not be much help - the Ancients were subdued by the wraith and the were far superior to the Asgaards.

We shouldn't just assume that "because A seemed to triumph over B" and "B is more advanced that C" that "A will naturally defeat C". After all, didn't Anubis defeat the Tollan? And I question your statement that the Ancients were "subdued" by the Wraith. From the reaction of the Wraith to Ancient technology, it seems they continue to have a healthy regard for the Ancients. Also, how many thousands of years have the Wraith hibernated, allowing other races, including the Asgard, to advance more?

Also, comparisons to SG-1 is unfair - different actors and characters (don't compare apples to oranges).

Huh? SG-1 is the closest "apples to apples" comparison we have for Atlantis but try using S1 of SG-1 for this comparison and not its entire 7 season run to date.

kateoftexas
August 14th, 2004, 04:42 AM
I was prepared not to like Atlantis because, from the ads and info I'd seen, I didn't think I'd have the same empathy with THIS crew that I did SG1, but I tried to keep an open mind.

I was hooked from Episode 1! Although I really disliked McKay from the SG1 epis, he has grown on me, and I think of him as SGA's Dr. Smith without the evil agenda :) He's beginning to have a heart - and it seems to surprise him as much as it does me!

To me, Dr. Weir is as she should be. This mission needs someone cautious and thoughtful at the helm. So she's not eye candy - get over it, guys ;)

I didn't think I'd like Sheppard, but I do. He's a bit of a swashbuckler, and sometimes he acts before he thinks, but he's got character.

I agree about the Wraith's appearance being a bit comic-bookish. The only one that's really scared me was the red-headed one, but I can overlook that.

On the whole, I find SGA very entertaining. I'm not hung up on comparing it to other shows, I'm just enjoying getting to know this new crew and their new home.

Wyrminarrd
August 14th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Atlantis has a few problems it could work on but to say that it sucks is just not right. For the most part I find it very good and seeing as how theses are just the first few episodes it´s really to early to say one way or the other whether or not it´s going to suck.

I remember seeing the pilot for SG-1 and not being that taken with it, the show just didn´t grab me. Of course I started watching Farscape at the same time and that might have eclipsed SG-1 :cool:

diek
August 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Wow, look at all the responses. I'll add my 2 cents by saying that this critique is coming from a guy that wants more Farscape. I thought they should have ended that show after the first episode. flame away

Madeleine
August 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Did you *have* to say that about Farscape? I'm all full of righteous indignation now.

::Goes off to find a Ranting thread ::

2BAM
August 23rd, 2004, 10:54 PM
:rolleyes: Please,please,please,please. Relax. That was one, if not the most, negative group of comments on any subject that I have ever read in my lifetime. I think that relaxing and enjoying a well written and produced series, like Stargate:Atlantis is something that is required for negative individuals. Give the show a chance!!! The insight and production value in this show is a stand alone accomplishment. Ratings don't lie. Look at them again. Watch the pilot again. You will love the show.

Madeleine
August 23rd, 2004, 11:01 PM
You will love the show.

Is that a prediction or a command? ;)

Ugly Pig
August 23rd, 2004, 11:03 PM
Yay! I was hoping this thread would get pulled back up... :rolleyes:

2BAM
August 23rd, 2004, 11:04 PM
:) Just a very educated guess!! Keep watching. From what I hear, it only gets better. P.S. Teyla Rocks!!!

Ancient 1
August 25th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Not going to go thru 11 pages of dialog to see if the obvious point has been made before. That being: You have to give the show a chance to develop characters, themes, and other nuances. It's like a good movie franchise. You always have to set the premise up in the first movie. Take "Spiderman" for instance; The second was better than the first because it didn't have to go thru all the setup for those who have never read comic books. So just hang in there and give it a chance.

DoubleM
September 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Farscape stinks now back to SGA!

The Wraith remind me of the Aliens that were on Earth Final Confilict during the last season. They were life force suckers the same as the Wraith. I don't see the Wraith last all seven seasons the Gould will end up on this show when it's all done and ove with.

aAnubiSs
September 4th, 2004, 05:07 PM
The Atavus were mostly boring as hell. The Taelons were much better :)

puddlejumper747
September 4th, 2004, 07:12 PM
You will love the show.

Is that a prediction or a command? ;)
It's a Jedi Mind Trick, of course!!! :D
(You just couldn't see the waving hand.) ;)

Ancient 1
September 5th, 2004, 05:21 AM
The Atavus were mostly boring as hell. The Taelons were much better :)
That's because the Taelons were insidious much like the Aschen!

divineshadow
September 11th, 2004, 08:16 PM
WOW! Now Stargate: Atlantis is ripping off old episodes of Farscape and even Stargate: SG-1. In the most recent episode 'HOME' our "brave" band of explorers went to a planet with an energy-emitting fog which can power the stargate. Also, that fog turns out to be intelligent lifeforms. That sounds a lot like the SG-1 episode, WATERGATE (Episode 407), in which the stargate was submerged in a liquid of intelligent energy-emitting lifeforms that could power the stargate.
The other part of the episode was a rip-off of the Farscape episode, A HUMAN REACTION (Episode 1.16), in which John Crichton travels through a wormhole to what he thinks is Earth, but is instead a mental illusion created by the beings that would ultimately give Crichton the wormhole knowledge. While Crichton was on Earth, in Sydney, he went around town seeing a lot of people from his past and eventually catches on to the illusion. Please, tell me when it starts to sound like 'HOME'!

The producers are reportedly doing double duty, producing Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis. They really need to stop that loser Atlantis and focus on SG-1.

How did they get so much power that they can gate to lots of different worlds? Remember when McKay, in Rising, said: "Using power...using power...using power" even when they used the stargate's energy iris for just a few seconds. Are they using their reactors to power the stargate? This seems strange.

Why do they not run any end credits for the SG-1 episode? After the last scene in SG-1 they go immediately to Atlantis. Are the producers afraid that if there is any kind of break, the viewers will change the channel? That's getting pathetic.

Notice in the promos for Atlantis, that they have tell people that Altantis has "Action", "Adventure", and "Danger". If a show was worth anything, you would not have to tell people that it had action, adventure, and danger. That never had to be done for SG-1. Now that's really pathetic!

Repeat after me: "I worship his divineshadow."

aAnubiSs
September 11th, 2004, 08:18 PM
The wormhole aliens, I.E. The Ancients, are creepy (talking about farscape!)

And Lexx isn't that good btw :)

Lord Zedd
September 12th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Who would win?Wraith,Asgard or the Goa'uld?

Major Fischer
September 12th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Arrrgh, it's the thread that wont DIE.

Why oh why do people drag this thing out after it's been barried for days and days, pages and pages back?

Furling God
September 12th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Yeah, a bit off topic too...

Furling God
September 12th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Also, that fog turns out to be intelligent lifeforms. That sounds a lot like the SG-1 episode, WATERGATE (Episode 407), in which the stargate was submerged in a liquid of intelligent energy-emitting lifeforms that could power the stargate.

Yes, it looked like it too much.

The other part of the episode was a rip-off of the Farscape episode, A HUMAN REACTION (Episode 1.16), in which John Crichton travels through a wormhole to what he thinks is Earth, but is instead a mental illusion created by the beings that would ultimately give Crichton the wormhole knowledge. While Crichton was on Earth, in Sydney, he went around town seeing a lot of people from his past and eventually catches on to the illusion. Please, tell me when it starts to sound like 'HOME'!

Well I can even say that the characters being trapped in an illusory reality and gradually realizing it is a hackneyed plot in MANY sci-fi movies, and also and far from only in Stargate SG1. It was a bit gross to use that trick again.

Nevertheless, I see two good points:

1) Weir got off Atlantis, was more present, etc. There was even a slight allusion to critics on SGA forums: "Do you think I am useless?" Veeeeeery masterly from her to dare say that. Because I find she looks extremely smart and is an actor of a shakesperean level, I liked that. But I want more. Why not a remake of a Shakespearian plot on Atlantis? Not hard to find one in the many plays available, need not necessarily be the most famous ones.

2) If you noticed, Teyla was merged in the memory of Sheppard. Her hole part, in many details, made her very feminine and very cute, in my opinion. Very successful shift from her usual warrior charachter. Superb tour de force from the writers' (and the actress).

Ugly Pig
September 12th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Notice in the promos for Atlantis, that they have tell people that Altantis has "Action", "Adventure", and "Danger". If a show was worth anything, you would not have to tell people that it had action, adventure, and danger. That never had to be done for SG-1. Now that's really pathetic!

No, your continued trolling is what's pathetic.

Iskandra
September 12th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Eeek, and spoilers without warnings.... :eek: I haven't *watched* Home yet....

And besides, Atlantis doesn't suck ;)

prion
September 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Both casts of Stargate: Atlantis and Star Trek: Voyager are transported far far away and both are struggling to get home while managing to anger lots of aliens along the way.

Whereas ST:Voyager wasn't voluntary (at least not that I can remember), the folks on Atlantis all volunteered for a potential one-way trip to the PEgasus Galaxy. In "Home", all of them said they would take a visit to home ONLY if they could return back to Pegasus. They're on a scientific mission.

SGA ain't perfect, but I'm having fun with it

divineshadow
September 12th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Prion,
The Voyager crew did stay in the Delta Quadrant voluntarily. After the Caretaker alien died, Captain Janeway insisted that they had to stay behind to make sure the Caretaker's teleportation array was destroyed so that no aliens could use it. All of the crew members agreed with her. This made no sense. Janeway wouldn't trust their technology to destroy the Caretaker's array after they had used it to go back to the Alpha Quadrant, but she trusted it to propel her and the crew everyday thousands of times faster than the speed of light.

The SGC and government should have sent two or three people to Atlantis first before the 60 or so people to see if they could get back. It makes no sense to send a large scientific group to gain knowledge about Atlantis, if you don't know if they can get back with the info.

Mio
September 12th, 2004, 05:44 PM
The SGC and government should have sent two or three people to Atlantis first before the 60 or so people to see if they could get back. It makes no sense to send a large scientific group to gain knowledge about Atlantis, if you don't know if they can get back with the info. Creating a wormhole to Pegasus drained the ZPM completely. They couldn't open another one after the first team started to explore. And it takes a while to transport that much stuff through through the gate. So, if you set the team exploring for, say, half an hour, that leaves 8 minutes to transport all supplies and people over.

That is, of course, provided a wormhole to another galaxy can even stay open 38 minutes. Who knows? It could be like, 30.....

divineshadow
September 12th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Mio,
I covered the depleated ZPM issue in my second posting on this thread (see Post #156 of this thread) and offered a solution for providing enough energy for the SGC to gate to Atlantis as many times as they want. Read it.

GateGipsy
September 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Actually, you really need to state the post number, not the page number, as people may be like me and have each post set to show considerably more posts per page than the default setting.

alaskannut
September 19th, 2004, 03:10 AM
most moderators are females yes? and you are males, so I'm gonna call you honeys!
Don't you be honeying me! I ain't ready to take our relationship to THAT level yet!! :D

divineshadow
October 25th, 2004, 06:55 PM
pd

Shipperahoy
October 25th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Funny. Not.

Major Fischer
October 25th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Funny. Not.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out if it broke any rules to report it.

Not funny at all.

divineshadow
November 16th, 2004, 06:52 PM
The Executive Producers have been reading my Stargate Atlantis Sucks posts!!!

In the article: http://www.gateworld.net/news/2004/11/iatlantisiteamwontalwaysbe.shtml

Executive Producer Robert C. Cooper denied that Atlantis was like Star Trek: Voyager, a point that I was the first to raise. Why would he raise the Voyager issue if he had not read that complaint here?

Now that you're paying attention Mr. Cooper, get rid of the Wraith, they are an embarrassment to science fiction. Also, when the team gets back to Earth in the second season, replace Dr. Weir with a hot blond military chick and have Dr. McKay assigned to Siberia, permanently.

If you don't correct all of the problems that I cited in my original post, I believe this Stargate Atlantis Sucks!!! thread will survive far into the future.

If you would like my help, I would be more than happy to work as a writer for the show. I'm sure I could turn things around fast!!!

Ugly Pig
November 17th, 2004, 02:56 PM
If you don't correct all of the problems that I cited in my original post, I believe this Stargate Atlantis Sucks!!! thread will survive far into the future.

If you would like my help, I would be more than happy to work as a writer for the show. I'm sure I could turn things around fast!!!
If nothing else, this guy is at least good for a laugh. :D

Erik Pasternak
November 18th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Executive Producer Robert C. Cooper denied that Atlantis was like Star Trek: Voyager, a point that I was the first to raise. Why would he raise the Voyager issue if he had not read that complaint here?Do you have any idea how many people have compared Atlantis to Voyager?

divineshadow
November 18th, 2004, 11:32 PM
The key word in the sentence you quoted, rocket4477, is FIRST! I started this thread two days after the premiere of Atlantis. All other comparisons to Voyager come from me.

Do you think the producers would ignore a thread with a provocative title like: Stargate Atlantis Sucks! and has the third highest number of views in the Gateworld.net Atlantis forum. I don't think so.

May his shadow fall on you.

divineshadow

Wass
November 19th, 2004, 03:13 AM
I take it that you stop watching Atlantis then.

NightGloom
November 19th, 2004, 05:23 AM
*sigh* Who brought this thread back to life?

I think the producers might ignore the title because it seems slightly immature and they probably wouldn't expect much from the actual post.

Major Fischer
November 19th, 2004, 05:34 AM

I think the producers might ignore the title because it seems slightly immature and they probably wouldn't expect much from the actual post.

The same loud troll keeps bringing it back to life. I think this is a case where his reputation speaks for itself.

Wass
November 19th, 2004, 05:57 AM
There is nothing wrong with criticism as long as it’s constructive but from what I’ve read there no constructive criticism in this thread.

NightGloom
November 19th, 2004, 06:40 AM
There never was, and probably never will be. The word selection in the title speaks for itself.

Osiris-RA
November 20th, 2004, 06:16 PM
in less words ...

exactly! thank you for voicing an informed opinion.

Osiris-RA
November 20th, 2004, 06:25 PM
by the way, for anyone who read the how can you stay interested forum, many asked what epe i watched.

hey, a writer knows when a show needs help.

i watched the first five epes from Rising(s) to Suspicion. i think after the first five hours (counting the time of the shows combined :D ), one should have made a decision as to the worth of the show.

StarGate (the movie, in case noone noticed) brought an interesting premise which formed into one of the best hit sci fi programs since Star Trek. it combined Star Trek and many other shows including a somewhat informed basis on the Egyptian Legend. Atlantis is very loosly based on something, from what i got, ancient fish people? dunno. anyway. as a television critique, Atlantis needs work on diolougue, character foundation and plot twist.
i for one, couldnt care if the entire 'team' such as it is got sucked into a black hole on the way back to waterworld in a 'puddle jumper'.

make me wonder! make me care!

:cool:

Gothann
November 20th, 2004, 06:48 PM
The same loud troll keeps bringing it back to life. I think this is a case where his reputation speaks for itself.
Considering his only two posts are in this thread, it's not surprising...

He's gloating at the fact that ONE producer mentions Star Trek Voyager in an interview. Thing is, this isn't the only thread in the world with that information. The SciFi board has two threads about the parallel, far too many TV Critics did the comparison.. You get the point. He was mentioning ST:V simply because he wanted to dissuade people from thinking that SG:A is a ripoff of that show.

Buggy542
November 21st, 2004, 04:01 PM
I can't say I'm a fan of SG:Atlantis, but I LOVE SG1. I want Atlantis to continue because if it was cancelled, it would affect SG1.

Oh, and ST:Voyager wasn't bad, I liked it. Infact, Star Trek was the thing that got me into scifi in the first place, and I've seen every episode of Voyager.

The same thing goes with Enterprise. I really don't think its that good, but its Star Trek, and I feel like I have to be loyal to it because of that.

Ugly Pig
November 22nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
Why, the same poster who originally started it, of course. I guess he just couldn't bear to see it die.

May I ask, why haven't this thread been closed already? There's no real discussion here, it's being kept alive by a single troll (and by now it should be painfully obvious to everyone that he really is just a troll) reviving it from time to time when it's slipped "too far" away from the first page, with nothing new to add... Why should he be allowed to do that?

Madeleine
November 22nd, 2004, 07:13 AM
This thread is now closed. It is duplicated by How can you stay interested? (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=5966) so if anyone really wants to they can continue this discussion in that thread.