This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sci-fi shows would I like???

Ok, I have been watching DVDs for over a year at my brother's house....but I just realized...I am almost done with them!Could anybody recommend any good, pretty long lasting sci-fi shows for me. I want a show that has a lot of continuity, and is not too campy (I dont think I would like Hercules or Xena)....and that happens to be on DVD (with at least 4 or 5 seasons)...and a good conclusion. And for some reason I have never gotten into Star Trek....ok i admit it i would buy the DVDs but they cost $100 each!!! These are the shows I like and why I like them:

Stargate (explains mythology,good characters, humor, action, never truly jumped shark IMHO)
    About to watch Babylon 5 (I heard it had a really good story arc thru the first 4 seasons.....was the 5th bad.i heard it was...)
    Buffy (although it deals with teens and some drama, i like the continuing story, and the humor when they interact with demons)
    Angel (WAY more grown up than buffy, good story arc thru out run with the shasnu (?) and how they will help people by taking down wolfram and hart)
    Highlander (i liked how it explored history, but did not like how the vast amount of episodes were stand alone)

*Ok, I asked this over at IMDb and somebody mentioned lost but i want a show that already has 5 seasons, because when i watched two great shows on TV, they both got axed out of nowhere...so i wanna know if the show will be long running or not)
    *As I have said, please do not mention Star Trek...never really got into it
    *Not firefly....because it only lasted like 16 episodes
    *And if you have a suggestion can you mention if it explains mythology, history, has good sotry arcs, etc.?.Does that leave any sci-fi shows (oh, and to make it even harder try to make it american based (man, that sounds mean...sry)

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
    <snip>
    Stargate (explains mythology,good characters, humor, action, never truly jumped shark IMHO)
    About to watch Babylon 5 (I heard it had a really good story arc thru the first 4 seasons.....was the 5th bad.i heard it was...)
    Buffy <snip>
    Babylon5. Fifth season wasnt terrible or anything but was like an epilogue to the previous 4 as they pretty much had everything wrapped up.

Oh and a word of advice, the acting in the first season in some spots *cough*sinclare *cough* is not always stellar but keep with the show, get past it and the show really picks up in seasons 2-4.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

its not Sci-Fi, but the best show on television is:

Seasons 1-4 are out.
      Season 5 starts tomorrow @ 8pm.

24>>>>>>everything.

Comment

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
        Ok, I have been watching DVDs for over a year at my brother's house....but I just realized...I am almost done with them!Could anybody recommend any good, pretty long lasting sci-fi shows for me. I want a show that has a lot of continuity, and is not too campy (I dont think I would like Hercules or Xena)....and that happens to be on DVD (with at least 4 or 5 seasons)...and a good conclusion. And for some reason I have never gotten into Star Trek....ok i admit it i would buy the DVDs but they cost $100 each!!! These are the shows I like and why I like them:

Buffy (although it deals with teens and some drama, i like the continuing story, and the humor when they interact with demons)
        Angel (WAY more grown up than buffy, good story arc thru out run with the shasnu (?) and how they will help people by taking down wolfram and hart)
        Highlander (i liked how it explored history, but did not like how the vast amount of episodes were stand alone)

*Ok, I asked this over at IMDb and somebody mentioned lost but i want a show that already has 5 seasons, because when i watched two great shows on TV, they both got axed out of nowhere...so i wanna know if the show will be long running or not)
        *As I have said, please do not mention Star Trek...never really got into it
        *Not firefly....because it only lasted like 16 episodes
        *And if you have a suggestion can you mention if it explains mythology, history, has good sotry arcs, etc.?.Does that leave any sci-fi shows (oh, and to make it even harder try to make it american based (man, that sounds mean...sry)
        I will first say Galactica- yes, it's only in season two, but there is absolutely no better show out there when it comes to continual story, engaging characters, real-world parallels, as well as great sci-fi action battles, and amazing but not overdone CGI, minimal on technobabble etc. It really has no competitio-, and it will last for years to come (unless of course we undergo our own apocalypse ). And it has it's own mythology, loads of characters with different stories, LOTS of mystery (if you avoid spoilers). It has a way of crawling right into your heart and mind, and really makes you think and feel in a way that no other show seems to do. Watch with miniseries, see what you think, and then season one- it starts great and only gets better (and it doesn't lighten the wallet too much- the miniseries and season one come all in one package- depending on ypur region, don't let amazon suck you into buying both in their "deal" without reading carefully.)

And don't shut off Firefly because of it's minimal run- it's pure wonderful entertainment and there is a lot there (also follows up with the amazing Serenity)- and don't count it out of being re-resurrected in some form or another. It's absolutely worth your time and money. I've seen the entire series and movie in the past two weeks and have been blown away by it- and I will defiantly watch it all again (and especially in the case of the movie, again, and again.....)

Last I'll suggest something that actually does fit your criteria - if you haven't already seen it: X-Files, loads of episodes (I haven't seen a whole lot of it, but I am following the conspiricy arc at the moment as it comes on in re-runs and a few monster of the week eps), it's always good, although I haven't seen any of the last few seasons to give an opinion- with is often widely differing between people.

Comment

SeaQuest DSV, what's out of Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Farscape. I'm sure I could think of more, but I'm tired.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            SeaQuest DSV, what's out of Battlestar Galactica (old and new), Farscape. I'm sure I could think of more, but I'm tired.
            Seaquest? I always thought that looked insanely awful (of course I've never actually seen a whole episode.....).

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42
              Seaquest? I always thought that looked insanely awful (of course I've never actually seen a whole episode.....).
              I would reccomend watching Season One of SeaQuest. Those are really the only quality episodes. Also I agree, BSG 100% is the best SciFi out there right now, so watch it

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                Babylon5. Fifth season wasnt terrible or anything but was like an epilogue to the previous 4 as they pretty much had everything wrapped up.

Oh and a word of advice, the acting in the first season in some spots *cough*sinclare *cough* is not always stellar but keep with the show, get past it and the show really picks up in seasons 2-4.

Agree with the above, B5 is a great show with an ambitious vision, brilliant story lines and characters, though one or two of them (ok, mainly Byron) are annoying. Season 5 was a bit of an anti-climax, a rush to fit in too much and tie up loose ends. Wish I had it on DVD, enjoy. Say hello to my alter ego for me.
                Ivanova
                sigpic
                "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

If you liked Buffy you might like Charmed.
                  Its a bit (sometimes a lot) stupid in places, but the characters aren't too bad and there have been some good stand alone episodes and some very good season story arcs.

The Dead Zone is another good series - fantastic storyline (especially if you read the book and know whats going to/could happen)
                  Ses
                  James Lafazanos - Good for a Laf

Comment

Another vote for Babylon 5. I didn't care for season five much but the rest was fantastic. You also mentioned not having enough money for Trek DVDs, I would like to suggest going to your local Library. They may have a DVD collection there, if they don't own the Trek DVDs they may get them on loan from another library. Plus it's free.

Comment

Farscape - Some of the best TV sci fi ever written
                      Alias - Ok, so it doesn't really fit your sci-fi bill, but it has elements in there and has great action as well as amazing writing and plot involvement
                      Space: Above and Beyond - Only one season but great show
                      Dark Angel - Jessica Alba as a genetically engineered human in a post apocalypic world.
                      The Dead Zone - Really fun series
                      Forever Knight - Vampire Cop, cool historical flashbacks, lots of twists
                      Firefly - Give it a go, the series might be only 13 episodes but the movie wraps it up nicely and its an amazing story with the best developed characters I've ever seen.
                      And if you ever change your mind and try Star Trek, go with Deep Space Nine. It has the most complex plot and character development of any Trek Series.
                      It's beer o'clock. Now where the HELL is my riot !?!

Comment

Originally posted by HirogenGater
                        Another vote for Babylon 5. I didn't care for season five much but the rest was fantastic. You also mentioned not having enough money for Trek DVDs, I would like to suggest going to your local Library. They may have a DVD collection there, if they don't own the Trek DVDs they may get them on loan from another library. Plus it's free.
                        HirogenGater my friend, you have just earned yourself a green. Will get down to my local library pronto. Excellent tip!
                        Ivanova
                        sigpic
                        "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Battlestar Galactica NEW series plus star trek Deep Space Nine (yes i know you didn't want me to mention star trek but DS9 has all the stuff YOU want in a series) It has 7 seasons, has multiple storyarchs, plots and a red line throughout all the seven seasons. You have MANY characters and they are all properly developed and have multiple sides to them, space battles, development, action excitement etc etc etc.....

Much like Battlestar Galactica, in fact the shows are both Ronald D Moore influenced.

Comment

The 4400 will be heading into its third season this summer and is a truly great show. Excellent story and acting.

The Dead Zone is still a great show, not as brilliant as the first two seasons but still worth watching.

The X-Files is sci-fi royalty. A lot of really great episodes.

The Outer Limits. Majority stand alone stories but several good ones.

I haven't seen Babylon 5 but I plan to give it a chance as I didn't when it was running.

Forever Knight. Underrated but really good show.

Everytime I try to make a list I realize there hasn't been a lot of successful Scifi on TV.

Earth the Final conflict had 5(?) seasons. The best ones are the first two. After that it goes down hill but it does have some very interesting concepts that are worth seeing.

Smallville. Started with teen appeal but is growing up and still going fairly strong.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Twilight zone
                              anyone up for some Armageddon?

Comment

Working...
                              X