This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade ZPM

I knwo this has been discused before but imho many people get it wrong and so I wan't a clear statement on that.

1.Jack once built a ZPM (or something like it) in order to travel to antoher galaxy.
    2.This thing wasn't a one shot device since they re-used it in "Point of View"
    3. Knowing how "Point of View" ended , they would surely have taken it back home (assuming they don't know how to build one (unlikely since Jack was supervised during the build and he didn't use any exotic parts except the Naquada).

-> Why don't they use that in Atlantis (...and the answer that comes to mind "Because there would be no show" isn't a realy satisfying one) ?

You could only argue that one galaxy is closer than another (hence you need a lesser amount of power), but that doesn't work since you could do "Galaxy hoping", just gate to a Galaxy close enough and take a lot of Staff Weapons with you fot the Naquada)

I think it was a Naquadah Reactor. If it was a ZPM they would have used it to power the Ancient weapon by now.

Comment

It was a naquadah reactor with some Ancient secrets put in it, otherwise how else would a naquadah cell from a staff weapon power the gate enough to gate another galaxy.
      *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
      McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

The Naquadah had to be used so that the initial fields keeping the energy from space/time in. Otherwise it would just spread out and be of no use.

That's if it's a ZPM.

Comment

It was probably an extremely low powered ZPM.

Comment

I also believe it was a primative, jurry-rigged ZPM (how many times have I said this now?) The rpoblem is, they no longer have the original one Jack made and they have no idea ow to build another one. All they did in PoV was "recharge" it. Now that they "lost" it, they can't make a new one. as to why they can't power the Ancient weapon with it or a naquada generator, good point. My belief was, they can't interface our tech with the tech at the outpost. With the homemade ZPM, tey interfaced it to "our" circuitbreakers which used "our" modern day technology. There might not be a way of interfacing it to more advance technology in the Ancient outpost. As far as using the ZPM from the outpost to power the gate in Atlantis, backwards compatability. It's easier to use an advanced device like the Ancient ZPM to power older equiptment, but it's most likely extremely difficult to power advanced equiptment with a primative power source.

Comment

>The rpoblem is, they no longer have the original one Jack made and they have no idea >ow to build another one. All they did in PoV was "recharge" it. Now that they "lost" it, >they can't make a new one.

But that's the whole point. Why would they have lost it ??? The Asgard killed all the remainig Jaffa, what sane person would leave a device like this behind ( Ops, I knew we forgot something....) ? Just makes no sense at all....

Comment

Yea, but what you gonna do about it.
                Thats just how the episode happened.

Comment

Yup, and that's why the show (both shows) are getting worse and worse....the stupid things just pile up....and Atlantis has inherited a big load from 7 seasongs SG1...

Comment

Originally posted by frogger1108
                    Yup, and that's why the show (both shows) are getting worse and worse....the stupid things just pile up....and Atlantis has inherited a big load from 7 seasongs SG1...
                    Season seven probably did have more bad episodes than any other season, so I agree with you there, but how can you say Atlantis is getting worse and worse when only one episode has aired?
                    Rocky

Comment

I meant that they have a rather heavy load of "plot holes" on them....right from the start.
                      As SG1 advanced and encountered more and more stuff the writer had to come up with more and more inplausible "events" why they couldn't keep it (how many ships have they wrecked or are unacounted for :-) ?.
                      Now Atlantis has all these questions right on from ep 1.
                      (like why doesn't the homebuild thingy work, why don't the Asgard give a lift, why don't they take energy weapons with them....)

Comment

My question is, is the Asgard gate destroyed along with the rest of their civilization? They apparently had an extra power source for their gate, as they have dialed Earth a couple of times (sometimes draining the SGC's power so much, the lights went out). The question is whether the Asgard had their own ZPM, or an alternative power source they can rebuild.
                        It's a Fargate! It's different.

Comment

Originally posted by JQuinn
                          My question is, is the Asgard gate destroyed along with the rest of their civilization? They apparently had an extra power source for their gate, as they have dialed Earth a couple of times (sometimes draining the SGC's power so much, the lights went out). The question is whether the Asgard had their own ZPM, or an alternative power source they can rebuild.
                          Obviousely, the Asgard have a power source with enough juice to dial Earth, and as for the power going down, that was to prevent the iris from closing and killing the Asgard going through.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                            Obviousely, the Asgard have a power source with enough juice to dial Earth, and as for the power going down, that was to prevent the iris from closing and killing the Asgard going through.
                            Yep, that's why the power failed. I don't think the Asgard use ZPMs, but something similar, and that is also used to power the ships and cites and all the cool Asgard toys. But then again, Thor did say that they once extracted a part of the Ancient Repository and maybe they figured out how to make ZPMs and they do use them. Who knows?
                            Rocky

Comment

Thank you for supporting me, I've been waiting for that but it seems they are too ashamed to even speak.
                              lol

Comment

Working...
                              X