PDA

View Full Version : Icon - Pre-eps talk SPOILERS

GateGipsy
April 30th, 2004, 07:18 AM
To check for updates on spoilers and news for this episode click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/8x3.shtml)

ICON

"Given the number of languages Daniel is purported to speak, Japanese has to be one of them. If you like the Daniel character, then you're going to want to check out an early season episode titled 'Icon' in particular." (Co-executive producer Joseph Mallozzi, in a message at the TVGroove.com message board
This episode includes the following guest characters: Leda, Soren and Minister Treydan.

Freelancer
May 1st, 2004, 05:03 PM
There is not a lot of information on this episode. The reason could be that something big is going to happen in the episode and that they are keeping the story "under wraps".

Teal'c
May 1st, 2004, 05:23 PM
Actually, there's plenty of information about it, GateWorld just doesn't have it posted :P I've got it on the forums of SGO if you want (see sig)

DarkQuee1
May 1st, 2004, 07:53 PM

Sorry, but this still sounds like something I'd snooze through. Way too much like half a dozen other eps from Stargate and other shows.

Darren
May 1st, 2004, 07:59 PM
GateWorld's "Icon" report is up, thanks to Teal'c for bugging me about it. ;)

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/8x3.shtml

shockwave
May 2nd, 2004, 12:10 AM
looks like New Ground meets 100 days

bcmilco
May 2nd, 2004, 12:13 AM
hmmmm... Maybe that's why I'm not too excited about it :p

Teal'c
May 2nd, 2004, 06:30 AM
looks like New Ground meets 100 days
But it's Daniel... so people won't complain... but if it were Sam.... :P

May 2nd, 2004, 07:39 AM
But it's Daniel... so people won't complain... but if it were Sam.... :P

Ah, that is so true. As long as it's Daniel, you won't get alot of complaints. Even though it really does sound like A 100 Days.

Shoot me dead if we have another ep. where an alien chick falls for Daniel *gags*

Although, it'd be really cool to hear him speak Japanese, not to say that he will in the ep.

shockwave
May 2nd, 2004, 07:41 AM
Malozzi didn't exactly say Daniel will speak Japanese in Icon, he said Daniel has a big role in Icon and can speak Japanese.

Teal'c
May 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Malozzi didn't exactly say Daniel will speak Japanese in Icon, he said Daniel has a big role in Icon and can speak Japanese.
Actually, I think Joe was just trying to humour the Japanese fans, by saying "Oh, I'm sure he does, he speaks so many other languages..." I mean, have you seen the latest post there? Those Japanese fans are nuts! (In a good way) :P

epiphany
May 2nd, 2004, 07:54 PM
Ah, that is so true. As long as it's Daniel, you won't get alot of complaints. Even though it really does sound like A 100 Days.

Shoot me dead if we have another ep. where an alien chick falls for Daniel *gags*

Although, it'd be really cool to hear him speak Japanese, not to say that he will in the ep.

Actually you'd be surprised, plenty of people those people you think wouldn't complain have complained that it sounds like 100 Days. :)

Alien chick falls for Daniel? Let's see we had Shyla(who got him addicted to the sarcophogus while blackmailing him with promises his friends' freedom) and Kera(Destroyer of Worlds without a memory) and those were along time ago, in Season's 2 and 3 respectively. I'd hardly say it was a habit for alien chicks to fall for Daniel or for Daniel to fall for them. :)

I don't think Daniel's had consensual sex(that we know of for sure) since Sha're was kidnapped. LOL! Hathor basically date-raped him in "Hathor"(he was drugged out of his mind and when he tried to resist, she drugged him some more)....that's the last time we can be sure about. He probably didn't actually do anything with Shyla or Ke'ra beyond kissing them given the situations at the time.

Now Teal'c, it used to be Teal'c that had the most regular sex life of any of them(with the Jaffa priestess in S4, with Ishta, I think that's it), followed by Jack(with Laira) until Sam got Pete and now I'd say she's probably had the most regular sex life of all of them because she's actually had a steady relationship for a period of time. Daniel, that we know of, hasn't had anything consensual, alien or otherwise, since before we see him in the first episode of the show. :)

And honestly I'm not the slighest bit interested in what any of them do on their own time, if you know what I mean. :p I don't care about their romantic lives or their sex lives. It just doesn't matter, I wish they'd keep it out of the storylines.

optimus prime
May 2nd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Given that one of the nations is called Caledonia, the Latin name for Scotland, I just hope that doesn't mean that awful fake Scottish accents will be used.

nugglebugget
May 3rd, 2004, 11:47 AM
Given that one of the nations is called Caledonia, the Latin name for Scotland, I just hope that doesn't mean that awful fake Scottish accents will be used.

Scotland?Interesting,my dad's heritage[mine too,I rekon]is rooted in Scotland.I'm wondering if we're gonna see the guys in "kilts",now:) .

GateGipsy
May 4th, 2004, 03:59 AM
More information about this story line is now available on GateWorld website. To read the full story, click HERE (http://www.gateworld.net/news/episodeupdate.html#newsitem1083468345,58730,)

Daniel Jackson becomes an "Icon"
MAY 1, 2004
http://www.gateworld.net/graphics/clear.gif
The first, albeit sketchy plot info for the early Season Eight episode "Icon" (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/8x3.shtml) has arrived! Beware of spoilers in the report below.

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/j/graphics/jackson.jpg

GateGipsy
May 4th, 2004, 04:03 AM
OK guys, let's talk about the episode and not fill up the thread with speculation on what we think other fans might or might not say about the episode when it airs! :D For me, and I am a *gasp* Daniel fan ;) , I'd never complain about an episode solely because of a character's presence or abscence. The most I'd do is complain because an actor was not present - Dion Johnstone not playing Chaka in Enemy Mine for instance. :(

Personally, I find the premise behind this episode storyline to be quite exciting. I was captivated by the Kelwona storyline however, and they never did that justice, so I'm holding back my enthusiasm for now.

But here was have a world that has developed quite substantially without the sort of influences we had here on earth. And now they're headed for a huge conflict. From the sounds of the technology - they aren't as advanced as us but they do have radio - I'd pin them at possibly 1920's type of technology. They can easily explore the issues that were raised here with WWI. I hope they do. Particularly with this guy who still believes the Goa'uld are gods. How many of his people might he be willing to sacrifice? And how willing would they be once the corpses pile up a la the Somme?

shockwave
July 9th, 2004, 05:39 AM
pics for Icon posted

looking at the pics, we have another very earth-like civilisation

the same can be said of the SGA episodes Poisoning the well and Underground

Elwe Singollo
July 9th, 2004, 07:15 AM
I saw the pics :) A very Daniel heavy episode according the pictures :rolleyes:

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Looks like a good episode for Daniel lovers

Janus
July 9th, 2004, 07:58 AM
And now they're headed for a huge conflict. From the sounds of the technology - they aren't as advanced as us but they do have radio - I'd pin them at possibly 1920's type of technology. They can easily explore the issues that were raised here with WWI.

If I recall correctly, WW-I began with an assisination of the Hungarian prince
So Daniel would have to shoot somebody of Royal blood.

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 08:00 AM
lol Why is it always Daniel that gets the tough stuff?

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Heh. I like most Jackson episodes, and this one does sound interesting if not a bit of a rehash of other Stargate SG1 plots.

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I agree. It sounds/looks great

prion
July 9th, 2004, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=avatar]Ah, that is so true. As long as it's Daniel, you won't get alot of complaints. Even though it really does sound like A 100 Days.

Shoot me dead if we have another ep. where an alien chick falls for Daniel *gags*[QUOTE]

Sorta like an episode where an alien seduces Jack, or Teal'c... my gosh, that First Prime has a woman on every planet! :eek: :D

I am a Daniel fan, but the pictures are sorta snoozers.... It wouldn't matter if daniel spent half the episode in a speedo - it the plot is dull, the dialogue insipid, it's gonna be boring. :S

the dancer of spaz
July 10th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Sadly... It kinda seems like Sam and Daniel are constantly being pitted against each other...

If you want me to elaborate on that statement, just ask. However, people do tend to have Sam and Daniel compete, and I can't imagine either character (let alone actor) feeling like that does either character justice.

I do, however, agree, that (from what I've seen in the past) some fans complain when there are Sam-eps; and hardcore Daniel fans tend to go hog-wild when there are Daniel-eps, despite the fact that there is still only one character being focused upon. Oh well... I like both characters, so it's cool. :rolleyes:

I like the season so far, and I have high hopes. AND Michael Shanks did very well in Lifeboat, which was a Daniel-centric ep shown early on in the show. All three are gonna have their chance to shine, and I say let 'em have it. The actors deserve it; the characters deserve it.

keshou
July 10th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Sadly... It kinda seems like Sam and Daniel are constantly being pitted against each other...

If you want me to elaborate on that statement, just ask. However, people do tend to have Sam and Daniel compete, and I can't imagine either character (let alone actor) feeling like that does either character justice.

I do, however, agree, that (from what I've seen in the past) some fans complain when there are Sam-eps; and hardcore Daniel fans tend to go hog-wild when there are Daniel-eps, despite the fact that there is still only one character being focused upon. Oh well... I like both characters, so it's cool. :rolleyes:

I like the season so far, and I have high hopes. AND Michael Shanks did very well in Lifeboat, which was a Daniel-centric ep shown early on in the show. All three are gonna have their chance to shine, and I say let 'em have it. The actors deserve it; the characters deserve it.

Well the spoilers and preview pics for Icon don't excite me much (and I'm a Daniel fan) but it could be a good episode if the story is exciting, the original characters interesting and the dialogue well-written. Even the most unoriginal story can be entertaining if the execution is there.

I know what you're referring to regarding the rivalry. What I'd really like to see in season 8 is a strong Sam/Daniel episode. Those characters don't really get to do much together anymore, since the actors are usually off filming their own episodes. I've always enjoyed their friendship, which I thought was very special, and would like to see it explored and maybe even tested a little in an episode.

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
What I'd really like to see in season 8 is a strong Sam/Daniel episode. Those characters don't really get to do much together anymore, since the actors are usually off filming their own episodes. I've always enjoyed their friendship, which I thought was very special, and would like to see it explored and maybe even tested a little in an episode.

That would be great. We need more episodes featuring pairings, and not just single characters. I have always liked Daniel and Samantha together and have noticed in recent seasons a downplaying of their friendship. Maybe Season 8 will correct that.

the dancer of spaz
July 11th, 2004, 12:27 AM
That would be great. We need more episodes featuring pairings, and not just single characters. I have always liked Daniel and Samantha together and have noticed in recent seasons a downplaying of their friendship. Maybe Season 8 will correct that.

I know what you mean by the downplaying of their friendship. I think sometimes the writers do that in an effort to highlight other aspects of the show: Some might say, for instance, the Jack/Daniel friendship, the Jack/Sam shippy stuff, and even - FINALLY - the Sam/Teal'c friendship, which has never been explored thoroughly.

I just really like the team friendship, and the one-on-one friendships that we get to see. For me, just watching each character show concern and genuine love and affection for the other characters is enough to keep me satisfied.

SPOILERS FOR NEW GROUND PARTS I & II
In that ep, there was so much one-on-one concern for each character, is was awesome to me. There was the Sam and Teal'c scene, the concern each character had for Jack, the concern each character had for Sam, and the end scene. It was just great. I don't think the show has done something so overtly team-oriented in a very long time.
SPOILER SPACE IS OVER. :)

The show was built on a team. The show is not called "Jack's Sacrifices" or "A Day in the Life of Daniel Jackson," "Teal'c's Latest Love Interest," or "Sam's Latest Self-Discovery." It's about the team.

Even still, eps with Daniel being focused upon, or Sam or Teal'c, provide other aspects of the very story they're all trying to tell, and that is about the members of the team, individually and as a whole. I've rarely had a problem with how they've taken all of the characters, because it really is the natural progression/evolution of a television show. After so many years, you have to show the heart behind the soldier, the doubt within the leader, and the inner struggle within a scientist. I'm very proud of what they do with all of the characters. :D

MasterPower
August 6th, 2004, 10:37 AM
I'm really looking forward to this episode!
It looks really good.

VirtualCLD
August 6th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Which episode was "New Ground"? I dont' remember that one.

shockwave
August 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM
"New Ground" was a late season 3 episode that introduced a character named Nyan, that at the end of the ep became Daniel's assistant, and was never heard off again. On his homeworld, there was a war between the "Optricians" and the "Betrosians" (or something like that). One race (Nyan's race) thought that they were made by the God Nefertum (one of Ra's underlords), while the other race thought they were originally slaves of Nefertum.

VirtualCLD
August 6th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Yeah, but that's not a two parter as "the dancer of spaz" said.

DJFavorite
August 6th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Yeah, but that's not a two parter as "the dancer of spaz" said.
Maybe spaz meant "New Order" not "New Ground" It makes sense.

Teal'c
August 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM
So, remember Dr. Beckett returns from Atlantis with a device that makes everyone in the SGC worship Daniel, except those with the Ancient gene :D

Major Fischer
August 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM
If I recall correctly, WW-I began with an assisination of the Hungarian prince
So Daniel would have to shoot somebody of Royal blood.

Very very long books have been writen about why WWI started. The assassination of the Austro-Hungarian Archduke was only a match in a tinder box. One of the very early inventors of the machine gun was told by a friend that he should get out of the electricity buisness because "if you give the Europeans something to slit each other's throats with you'll make a ton of money."

Excali5033
August 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Wow...this episode is amazing. RDA's in rare form, too.

ShadowMaat
August 6th, 2004, 05:43 PM
So, remember Dr. Beckett returns from Atlantis with a device that makes everyone in the SGC worship Daniel, except those with the Ancient gene :D
Seems like a lot of people worship Daniel anyway. :P

Gee, does this mean I have the Ancient gene?? ;)

Ep is OK so far. Don't think it'll go down as one of the greatest eps ever and I do get a strong sense of deja vu, but it could be worse... And if this Leda/Daniel stuff gets any heavier, the "worse" will be realized. :P

Liked the opening bit with the tourists. hehe

Darren
August 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Here's our official discussion thread for those who have seen "Icon" ...

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=3055

Please continue all post-episode conversation there! We'll leave this thread open for those who haven't seen the ep yet.

Skydiver
August 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Hi

This is largely for pre-eps talk rather that post-eps discussion. I know it can be a bit confusing.

Maybe you can move your comments to the post-eps thread and add it to the ones there?