This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical and story suggestions for SG-1 series

I thought this thread might be a neat place to collect some story-line and technical suggestions for the writers of the SG-1 and Atlantis shows.

Have you ever watched one of the shows and thought, "that just didn't make sense" but shrugged it off because you love the show so much that it really didn't matter? Well, here is a place to document your ideas.

I hope that contributors to this thread won't simply post fan-fiction, but make directional suggestions for the story-line (i.e. "the stargate program is intentionally revealled to all nations / people of Earth. Earth is united by the common threat of Goa'uld threat and the stargate program is expanded.").

Zen Monki
    Last edited by zen.monki; 19 July 2004, 08:35 AM. Reason: Improvements
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

I will try to respond to all technical questions, even though I'm not a physics graduate nor a writer

Had to edit it cause the topic starter edited his... damn you!

Comment

Before I proceed, I want to say that I am a HUGE fan of this series. I notice things that may not bother other people, and I usually ignore them because I love the show so much.

Improve the access to the stargate
      It really annoys me that the stargate has such limited logistical access inside the SGC. All the doors and tunnels leading to the gate are basically just large enough for the MALP to access. Sure, there is a large silo-opening in the roof, but here's my suggestion:
      Initiate a remodelling of the SGC that makes the embarkation-room the size of an aircraft hanger (inside the mountain or somewhere else that is just as secure. Install huge doors (secure, of course) that you could drive a convoy of trucks, tanks, helo's and whatever other equipment they can physically squeeze through the gate.

This would open up a lot of plot variations in my mind because the exploring teams would have access to vehicles and we'd have the ability to set up bases through the stargate and not be limited to just what we can carry.

Beef up the SG teams
      Have you ever watched the show and wondered why in the heck are the teams only 4 people? Most expeditionary military units that I've ever heard of are at least 8 large. It seems ridiculous that we would send only 4 people to accomplish such important missions, even if they are the stars. And when there are serious fire-fights, there are usually only 3 or 4 teams doing the fighting (thats a max of 16 people fighting potentially 100s of Jaffa!). Adding people to the teams will open up more variation in the character interaction and sub-plots.

Improve the GDO protocol, please!
      This one irritates me the most. For heaven's sake, please change the GDO protocol so that the team who is transmitting a GDO signal receives a confirmation signal back from the SGC that the iris has been opened! There is no way the military would design such a one-way communication system that could result in uneccessary deaths so easily.
      A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
      The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep."

Comment

Jack gets a woman, not Carter.
        Causality should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by zen.monki
          This one irritates me the most. For heaven's sake, please change the GDO protocol so that the team who is transmitting a GDO signal receives a confirmation signal back from the SGC that the iris has been opened! There is no way the military would design such a one-way communication system that could result in uneccessary deaths so easily.
          I thought the SG teams did receive a signal back.
          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

Before I proceed, I want to say that I am a HUGE fan of this series. I notice things that may not bother other people, and I usually ignore them because I love the show so much.

Improve the access to the stargate
            It really annoys me that the stargate has such limited logistical access inside the SGC. All the doors and tunnels leading to the gate are basically just large enough for the MALP to access. Sure, there is a large silo-opening in the roof, but here's my suggestion:
            Initiate a remodelling of the SGC that makes the embarkation-room the size of an aircraft hanger (inside the mountain or somewhere else that is just as secure. Install huge doors (secure, of course) that you could drive a convoy of trucks, tanks, helo's and whatever other equipment they can physically squeeze through the gate.

This would open up a lot of plot variations in my mind because the exploring teams would have access to vehicles and we'd have the ability to set up bases through the stargate and not be limited to just what we can carry.
            The SGC is top-secret so they don't have time to rebuild, and moving the gate would not be smart. The Alpha Site(s) has had the gate in the open, so having different vehicles there would be good yes. They should however figure out hoovering technology (Goa'uld tech) and then they would be really good. The Anubis robot from Heroes 1 comes into mind.

Beef up the SG teams
            Have you ever watched the show and wondered why in the heck are the teams only 4 people? Most expeditionary military units that I've ever heard of are at least 8 large. It seems ridiculous that we would send only 4 people to accomplish such important missions, even if they are the stars. And when there are serious fire-fights, there are usually only 3 or 4 teams doing the fighting (thats a max of 16 people fighting potentially 100s of Jaffa!). Adding people to the teams will open up more variation in the character interaction and sub-plots.
            I don't agree. The SGC use stealth, and the more members a team got the bigger risk of getting caught. Better to have more teams then bigger teams.

I agree, and I would think that they already have this, although the show has shown signs of not having it. Prophecy for example. But yes, they should have that protocol yes.

Comment

SPOILERS (Including Stargate Atlantis: Rising)

I like the embarkation room the way it is, although it could use larger doors for vehicle access. However, having it in the tight space with such restricted access gives the SGC a perfect deffensive position for any hostiles that may make it through the gate's iris. Also, limited casualties if any weapons fire makes it through the gate (as we've seen on many occasions). Actually, it's the lack of that seen in Atlantis that has me annoyed/worried about the Atlantis team. There are no blast doors or any isolation techniques that could be used to seal off the "gate room" in Atlantis.

I agree with the GDO thing, they should get confirmation back, that seems like a big oversight (I think it was mentioned in an episode or two where somone says something to the fact that "I hope they got our signal, otherwise this is going to be one-time trip"). In Atlantis, I believe someone, amybe Weir, says "For now, we'll use the old-fashioned way of detecting friend from foe through the gate" or something like that. Maybe they'll use another technique?

Comment

I'm telling you they have to get signals back from the SGC on the GDO.
                It wouldn't be safe not to.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                  I thought the SG teams did receive a signal back.
                  Nein. It's a 50/50 shot.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                    I'm telling you they have to get signals back from the SGC on the GDO.
                    It wouldn't be safe not to.
                    Re-watch Prophecy (as per aAnubiSs).

Comment

No matter how long the iris is closed, the good guys always come right away, the bad guys always die.

No matter how long they wait to go into the event horizon it always closes right after they came out.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                        No matter how long the iris is closed, the good guys always come right away, the bad guys always die.

No matter how long they wait to go into the event horizon it always closes right after they came out.
                        It's Magic!!!

Comment

That's what the Jaffa called the Goa'uld technology too. But we all know the Jaffa were dumb.... Do you see where I'm going with this?

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs

So your agreeing with me, right?

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD
                              It's Magic!!!
                              ok this is my first ever post so be kind......
                              i am a HUGE fan of stargate and have been since it was first shown in England.....
                              the best thing about it is that the good guys win and the baddies fail but inbetween there is enough action to make you think that this time it may be different, which is something no other show has never been able to do as well (my personal opinion if you can think of any other shows i'd be happy to listen)
                              BUT if i could make any suggestions of what should go in the show i would
                              1) look into Daniel's past a little more, he's not my personal favourite character but he was one of the main basis of the series and the film and no one show has ever really told us much about his especially with his parent's dying and all
                              2) i totally agree with the GDO idea i mean it's just would not be sensible walking thu the gate and not be sure that the iris is open just incase the technition dropped his pencil or something
                              3) i know RDA is not in the show as much but i miss the team eps from the beginning seasons, it just got a bit 'daniel episode' then 'sam episode' and 'teal'c episode' last season and i miss the team banter
                              anyway thats just my newbie thoughts, anybody wants to disagree i'd be happy to debate
                              thx

Comment

Working...
                              X