Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is season nine really that good? (NOT an anti-S9 thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is season nine really that good? (NOT an anti-S9 thread)

I have seen season nine and I think it has a really good story arc to it...but something kinda makes me question how accurate the polls on Gateworld are. Every episode, I usually put in my opinion of how good the episode was (I usually vote for good)...but almost every episode i see outstanding is always the one winning....surely not every episode can be outstanding, good maybe......what causes everybody to vote for every episode as outstanding?

PS: Why have there been absolutely no reviews of season nine episodes since like the fifth episode of the season? (wasn't worth another thread and kinda relates to what I just said).

Originally posted by walter_MacChevron
    I have seen season nine and I think it has a really good story arc to it...but something kinda makes me question how accurate the polls on Gateworld are. Every episode, I usually put in my opinion of how good the episode was (I usually vote for good)...but almost every episode i see outstanding is always the one winning....surely not every episode can be outstanding, good maybe......what causes everybody to vote for every episode as outstanding?

PS: Why have there been absolutely no reviews of season nine episodes since like the fifth episode of the season? (wasn't worth another thread and kinda relates to what I just said).
    I would not consider those polls an acurate reflection of even online fans opinion of the show as they can be controlled by people who want to make a point.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Polls not-with-standing, I think this season, overall, is that good. But hey, that's just me.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I have seen season nine and I think it has a really good story arc to it...but something kinda makes me question how accurate the polls on Gateworld are.
        Well, for starters the majority of people who would even know about a site like Gateworld are more likely to like Stargate making the polls skewed.

Comment

I also think it is that good. I think that the reason some people dont like this season is because every episode seems to focus on the Ori. But it looks like the second half of the season there is going to alot of standalone episodes. I think that the first half of the season required alot of development on the ori as they are a new enemy and needed to be built up and shown how much of a threat they are.

Comment

i personally am treating it as a new show, totally new. i am familier with the concept and the races but its a new show. so when i vote i vote as if i was seeing a brand new show just on the air nd the only comparison to make is the episode before. on that note i would vote outstanding al the time.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

I'm quite enjoying it. In fact, this season is what really got me into Stargate. I used to watch it occasionally before, but after a few episodes this season, I went back and have watched the entire series, and now wait anxiously for new episodes. I loved Avalon and Origin, and Prototype as well.

Still enjoying it!
              Four out of five voices in my head agree: I'm ok. It's the fifth one that scares the hell out of me.

Comment

I'm enjoying season 9 very much. Great job from all the writers, especially Rob Cooper at the beginning of the season. And the new writer, Alan McCullogh seems to be really good, Prototype was great.

Comment

I think S9 is a disaster thus far and I rarely vote in those polls. I do not think they are accurate or anything and it seems useless to vote especially since they can be skewed so its not really worth it for me to vote once when I know others may be in there voting 50-60 times.

Comment

It's had its moments just like any other season. Opening with Avalon 1 & 2 and Origin, those episodes were great. The next few were kind of forgettable...but I personally really liked Babylon, Prototype, Fourth Horseman pts 1 & 2 and Collateral Damage.

Comment

As others have mentioned, you can rig those polls because you can vote as many times as you want. I don't trust anything that comes out of those polls, regardless of the topic.

If you did want to use the polls to try and figure out what fans thought besides the blanket "Outstanding", maybe you should look at how many people voted for the other options. For example, let's assume that posters didn't seem to like episode X as much as episode Y. One would then assume that episode X had more votes for "Fair", "Poor" and/or "Terrible" compared to episode Y.

Did that make sense at all?

Comment

This happens a lot with fandom.

What you have to look at is the difference between "Good" and "Outstanding", if it's a big difference, then chances are a majority of people liked it. If not, then chances are people thought it was mediocre.

Comment

As far as the topic of the thread, I'd have to say, it depends on who you ask. Polls can be skewed, and even the most accurate polls don't mean anything. 1000 people agreeing that the season is outstanding don't have any more validity than one person thinking it's horrible. Majority rule doesn't work when it comes to an opinion on the quality of a creative endeavor.
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I haven't seen all the episodes, but from what I've seen, it's pretty good. Not the best, but not bad either. Just different.

Time will tell if it turns out to be as good as some others.

24/7 Wake - KrackHouse server: 69.28.221.211:16567
                            24/7 Groundpounders - Krackhouse: 69.28.221.210:16567
                            Both heavily admined.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                              Polls not-with-standing, I think this season, overall, is that good. But hey, that's just me.
                              So far, I have enjoyed the entire season.

Comment

Working...
                              X