This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis' Operating System

Just wondering does anyone actually know what the operating system looks like. Not the one that is on the big screens but the one that all the personel use on their laptops are they running a skinned xp or something. Does anyone have the skills to actually make a skin for windows xp so it looks like the atlantis laptops
    "You Blow Up One Sun And Suddenly Everybody Thinks You Can Walk On Water!!"

it's linux 8000bc

Comment

don't worry i bet you that some where in the world right now or soon someone is creating an atlantis xp skin
      Earn Money For Clicking your Mouse
      Advercash

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
        it's linux 8000bc
        what did you get that from?

Originally posted by boney_jnr
        Just wondering does anyone actually know what the operating system looks like. Not the one that is on the big screens but the one that all the personel use on their laptops are they running a skinned xp or something. Does anyone have the skills to actually make a skin for windows xp so it looks like the atlantis laptops
        Some one somewhere has probably made an atlantis skin

Comment

Well, whatever OS atlantis is using, it's sure as heck not windows. I haven't seen it crash at all!

Comment

Well, obviously they are using very powerful computers with huge hard drives, lots of RAM and definitely not Intel processors (they probably use AMD); so their computers would be less prone to crashing.

For all you non-techies out there, he is why they wouldn't use Intel processors: it's because all of Intel's chips only have 32 bits, where AMD's chips have 64 bits, meaning they can do twice the ammount of calculations and would be much better at multitasking while running at the same clock as a Pentium processor.

Comment

The thing is, hardly any programs use 64bit so the technology is currently redundant making your argument pointless.

And i'm assuming you're not being serious about the ancients using Athlon 64's...

More like Athlon 1048576's

Comment

more like athlon -10million

Comment

Atlantis v1.0©, for all of your Ancient City needs

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Ancient computers (and Goa'uld by association since they scavenged Ancient tech) do not work on the same principle as ours. They are not electronic at all. They are probably quantum computers actually...but anyway, for anything involving data transmission of any type they use fiber optic instead of semiconductors, and for storage they use optical/crystal storage instead of magnetic. They can actually store data in the molecular structure of crystals. It's similar to the way computers in Star Trek work I guess, although probably more advanced. I imagine the computers do have some sort of software, though probably nothing like what we have. Anyway, it wasn't a "virus" that showed up when the safeguards against the ZPM exploding were disabled, it was more like a rootkit, planted by someone that had administrator access to it. He had to take the OS information (probably a dump of it) back to the Goa'uld, so they could study it and determine what they would need to modify. Then he took the code back to Atlantis, logged in as root (basically), then installed the rootkit which modified the necessary system files. In fact, the popular concept of a "virus" only works on Windows, and older stuff like DOS and MacOS9 and earlier, basically things that don't fulfill the requirements of a "real" operating system.

Comment

Ok I don't know this for sure, but don't Intel have a 64bit line of processors? Because I thought they did, and if they don't know u can guarantee they are in the works. Secondly the point about most software not using the 64bit power is redundant, as the software that they are using to interface with atlantis/ stargate etc is almost definetly coded specifically for the task, possibly even the miltary building an operating system to do this, thus utalising the 64bits. Afterall I'd be very surprsied if there was commercial software avliable that had the ability to interface with ancient tech!

Also with the viruses, I though any operating system could have a virus written for it, it was just a matter of security in that operating system, and the difficulties associated with that. OIk operating systems like windows are far more prone, but windows is also much more widely used, thus more targets, thus more chance of success, so more viruses targated at it. Also the fact that windows has more holes in it then a sieve! But again I thought that was due to microsft sticking some security on right at the end, not in the core.

This is the same for the atlantis OS. After all the commands and changes caldwell made could be entered/ made by a program. And McKay showed the codes could be broken, so a program could be written to do that, its a matter of ease of doing this. Afterall didn't they write a virus to erase the ancient database?

I may be wrong about this, but hey I am drunk atm

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaOmega232
                        The thing is, hardly any programs use 64bit so the technology is currently redundant making your argument pointless.
                        your probably one of the people thart get sucked into paying $500 for a Intel Pentium 3. Just because all rpgorams dont use 64bit technology doesn't measn that that 64bit tech is redundant, the 64bit tech is far superior to 32bit tech, it is alot faster and helps in multi-tasking and enhances all 32 bit operations (you can run more of them easier) so the arguement isn't pointless
                        Originally posted by
                        And i'm assuming you're not being serious about the ancients using Athlon 64's...
                        no he made a point of AMD 64bits are better than Intel's 32bit range of processors, come to think of it AMD 32bits are superior to intel's 32bits...

Comment

Originally posted by Blitersety
                          Well, obviously they are using very powerful computers with huge hard drives, lots of RAM and definitely not Intel processors (they probably use AMD); so their computers would be less prone to crashing.

For all you non-techies out there, he is why they wouldn't use Intel processors: it's because all of Intel's chips only have 32 bits, where AMD's chips have 64 bits, meaning they can do twice the ammount of calculations and would be much better at multitasking while running at the same clock as a Pentium processor.
                          Umm..you have your facts mixed up here.

Intel do make 64 bit chips. Up until a while ago, all AMD chips were 32 bit too. It is only the newest and most expensive range that come in 64 bit flavours. Also, you are getting confused about multitasking, how many bits a CPU has is not exactly an indicator of how many tasks a computer can do. If the CPU only has one physical core then it can still do only one thing at a time. The 64 bits just means how much data is passed in at once, and how much RAM can be referenced.

Multi tasking comes in when an operating system runs multiple processes - instances of a program. Each process consumes some amount of RAM. Having 64 bits simply means that you can get access to more RAM (if you have it) than 32 bits, because there is more memory addressing space. The more RAM you have, of course the more processes can reside there when they are not being executed. CPU with one core never actually do more than one thing at a time - the operating system just gives the appearance that it is happening. What actually happens is a process is given some time on the CPU (called a timeslice) and the rest of the processes sit in memory.

32 bit chips can reference 4GB of RAM (2^32), while 64 bit chips can reference lots more because 2 is raised to the power of 64 (I think that reaches into the terabytes).

an AMD chip though, does accomplish more per clock cycle than an Intel chip, this is true - however it also means that AMD set their clock cycles to a lower frequency. Intel's 3.xx Ghz chips are actually faster. If you put an AMD Athlon 3200 and Intel 3.4Ghz machine side by side and converted an AVI into DVD or MPEG format...watch how much faster the Intel will go.

Therefore...having multiple cores (or even better, multiple CPUs) means that more than one process can be run at any one time. It doesn't matter if you have a 512 bit CPU....if you haven't got multiple cores in your CPU (or more CPUs), multitasking will perform about the same as it does on your current desktop machine. I could get into all the REAL tech stuff like concurrent threads, locking, sempahores....but that's really not pertinent to this post

So while you are on the right track...it is not true that ALL AMD CPUs use 64 bits and NO Intel CPUs do. Hehehe...I'm pretty sure that with the amount of money an AMD Sempron costs, it only uses 32 bits

Just look on Intel's website, I think you'll find that they want you to know about them. Also, the number of bits a CPU has doesn't equate to better multitasking - it just provides access to more data at one time, and more RAM. You could have a 64-bit CPU and use only 512 Meg RAM....in which case, multitasking would be the same as it is running on your 32-bit CPU running Win XP.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
                            it is alot faster and helps in multi-tasking and enhances all 32 bit operations (you can run more of them easier) so the arguement isn't pointless

no he made a point of AMD 64bits are better than Intel's 32bit range of processors, come to think of it AMD 32bits are superior to intel's 32bits...
                            As I said...simply having 64 bits means nothing...you need a CPU with more than one physical core, or more CPUs, to provide TRUE multitasking.

And as for AMD 32 bit chips being superior to Intel ones...well..they're just different. I hear gamers telling me that AMD Athlon chips are better...but I grew up playing Wolfenstein 3D on a 486DX-66Mhz with Windows 3.11, so Intel are kinda in my blood

Comment

Kinda off topic...but if Atlantis expedition wanted a good OS, they should of chosen Mac...they have changed from using IBM chips to Intel and of course have to rewrite the Mac OS to be compatible with Intel machine code instead of IBM...the timeframe that they announced (2 years?) means that their OS was very well designed if they can change from IBM to Intel machine code in such a short period of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X