This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the popularity of Atlantis fading?

....This didnt seem like it would go in the anti-season 3 thread.Even though the ratings are steady, I see many disturbing trends with Atlantis this year.
    Most everybody was on board for season one of atlantis, and most liked/loved the first season. And i will admit that i have not seen one episode of atlantis (I wanna give it a couple of years, just to make it is pretty long running).......and then I went onto the Atlantis season two episode guide no gateworld, and many episodes are in the two star range (compared with a lot of 3 stars for S9 of SG-1)...does this mean that season two is not as good? (I tried reading the anti season two thread but it was too much to take in and i couldnt get a feel for the overall census)

Also, this brand new season three folder (as of this writing) only has like 3 or 4 threads (granted they are really long)....but still, Season 10 of SG-1 folder has a ful page already. And I see consistently more people viewing the season 10 folder (when I came in, Season 10 was getting 28 views and Season 3 was getting 8 views).......what is the cause of this? Is season 2 really not that good, and thus turning people off?

Completely off-topic: SG-1....the best eighth and ninth seasons of a sci-fi show ever! (It is actually improving in some regards)

Season 2 is awesome

I dont know why the season 10 folder has more posts maybe people are more interested in discussing the changes?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I wouldn't say popularity is fading, as much as many people believe the quality of the episodes in S2 has gone down significantly.

I do not know myself, only saw "The Hive" and "Fourth Horseman, Part 2" on January sixth.
      "Che idiota fa una cosa del genere! Gli americani non pensare cose del genere?!"
      " 'Idiot' and 'American' I think were cognates? I'm going to assume you're not talking about me so we can work together better."
      Ambassador Isabelle Cooper-Oxford and Lt. Col. Stephen "Steve" Hamrick ~ "Discoveries"

Discover a … New Galaxy

Look for a … New Adventure

Find a … New Mythology

Comment

Season 2 of Atlantis has it's charm, and the potential for the show is certainly mounting. However, with all the experience of SG-1 you'd hope that they would've pushed a little harder and developed things a little more. I can understand that with the Wraith there's much less opportunity for diverse species, you'd hope that a little more variation would've come out by now.

The point of the first half of season 2 was to give the Atlantis expedition opportunity to explore without the Wraith attacking them every two minutes... yet almost every episode has featured a Wraith or the Wraith threat. Enough already!

Overall, I think Atlantis has great spirit and is a brilliant extension of SG-1... however I don't think it's currently fulfilling it's full potential by limiting and pacing itself in such a slow, dragging manner. By this point in SG-1 season two we'd met all kinds of aliens and people and learnt a hell of a lot about the galaxy and what was to come!
        //

O'Neill: Phasers?
        Carter: Sorry sir.

HAPPY 40TH STAR TREK!! LIVE LONG AND PROSPER!

Comment

Have to agree with Qasim, season 2 is awsome
          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Carl
            However, with all the experience of SG-1 you'd hope that they would've pushed a little harder and developed things a little more.
            They cant go too heavy lots of people who watch SGA dont watch SG1 and are looking for something a bit different
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I can't speak for anyone else, but I think SGA season two is fantastic compared to SGA season one.

Comment

Honestly, I think maybe it's because the honeymoon period is over.

I felt S1 had its share of problems, but no one knew how successful SGA would be in splitting off from SG-1 while still being Stargate, everything was new, and the writers had a lot more freedom in throwing out ideas. Some of which, in hindsight, don't make a whole lot of sense, lol. Still, everybody was impressed that SGA was entertaining and crushingly lovable.

Now fans have metaphorically reached the stage where you find out whether your significant other squeezes toothpaste from the bottom of the tube or not, leaves the toliet seat up, hogs the blanket, changes the TV channel every five seconds, etc. The writers, too, are working to flesh out the universe a bit, break down some characters and relationships, run interference on those aforementioned plot discrepancies from S1, and find new directions to go, and it'd be impossible to keep everyone happy.

Whether SGA continues to be popular or not depends, I think, on whether the series comes out of this transition season (and maybe the next) better or worse. I'm willing to stick around and find out.

(In the meanwhile, I'm going to try my best to hook anyone I can. Already got two new viewers, and both seem very satisfied with the show thus far. )
                The fact is I think I am a verb instead of a personal pronoun. A verb is anything that signifies to be, to do, or to suffer. I signify all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                  Season 2 is awesome
                  Ditto.
                  TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

I don't think it is fading, but there has been some disgruntlement, especially in regards to character development (or lack of).

One thing I've noticed in SG1 this year in regards to the character of Cameron Mitchell - TPTB have gone out of their way to give him a "past" which makes it easier to know, and like the character (and we still have some Mitchell-centric eppys coming up). Moving towards the end of season 2 in SGA we still know NOTHING about our main hero, John Sheppard, and I do know some fans who no long care for the character. As I stated before, you may be attracted to a good looking person, but you can't love them unless you KNOW them (and look at how well we knew O'Neill!). I'm still a Sheppard fan, but the writers need to come up with something to make him "interesting".

I'm sounding negative, and I don't mean to. We have Ronon now, who I just love! (Hey, we've seen more backstory on HIM than Shep.) Teyla has improved, we have the way-cool Major Lorne, and a new cute console guy. Weir has improved, and looks gorgeous. Rodney is snarky as ever.

So, I guess I have to say, no, it isn't fading. I just wish they would do something interesting with Sheppard. Joe Flanigan is a good actor, I just wish they would really give him some juicy scripts to sink his acting chops into.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                      Joe Flanigan is a good actor, I just wish they would really give him some juicy scripts to sink his acting chops into.
                      I am sure they have an ensemble of hot ancient women lined up
                      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                        I am sure they have an ensemble of hot ancient women lined up
                        That's a whole other can o' worms. Not going there.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

well not a lot of info for s3 there's more info on s10

Comment

so far the only episode in S2 I didn't "like" was the tower, it wasn't a crap episode, it just had alot of wasted potential.

As for more people viewing SG-1 S10 threads, I find that statement not true. I have seen SGA S3 threads having more people viewing them than the SG-1 S10 threads before, I think that the members viewing them are about the same, the fluctuation in numbers being caused by guests.

Comment

I think the answer to that question is best answered by a poll... did I actually say that...
                              FP's right... there are a few of us who are somewhat disgruntled with aspects of the show but it shouldn't be taken as carte blanche loathing for the series. My suspicion is that TPTB cannot maintain two shows at the same time without some overlap and repetition. I'm not saying that they aren't talented writers but I don't think it's a good idea for them divide their attention between two shows when they're trying desperately to give each show its own identity. I would love for Martin Gero and Carl Binder to write all the Atlantis episodes next season as it is obvious that they have their finger on the pulse where Atlantis is concerned.

I was trying to think about why I like Atlantis more than I like SG-1... and I can't get away from the fact that the characters are much more multidimensional. They aren't set up as role models... they are set up as believable people trying to do the right thing as best as they can. However, I think in S2, that's gone by the wayside a little. I don't think the damage is irreparable... but they need to keep both shows as separate entities.
                              sigpic
                              "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                              X