PDA

View Full Version : Why can't they gate-hop back to Earth?

Callimaco
July 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM
I don't understand something, and it’s really starting to bug me. But I make no claim of expertise on these matters, so I'm going to ask about it here. I'm not even sure how to ask this question. I'll give it my best shot though, beg your indulgence. and ask you to bear with me.

So you can't get from Earth to Atlantis without a tremendous amount of energy. It requires so much energy that the Atlantis team might have made a one way trip to the Pegasus galaxy.

But why couldn't you take the stargate equivalent of an indirect flight back to Earth? Why couldn't the Atlantis team dial a gate closer to Earth and travel there, and then dial a gate even closer to Earth and travel there, and so on until they "gate-hop" to a place close enough to get back home?

I know that indirect flights are a pain, but if it's your only choice then it's your only choice. So why isn't this an option for the Atlantis team? There may be practical problems (knowing the right addresses, for instance), but in principle this seems possible, and it would get around the “not enough energy” problem by dividing up the long trip into a series of shorter ones.

Thoughts? Explanations?

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 10:17 PM
It doesn't work, and I'll tell you why. You can gate around the Pegasus galaxy all you want, and you won't use that much power. But inbetween the galaxies all there is a an empty void, no planets, no stars, no nothing. No place to put a stargate. So, even if you gated to the edge of Pegasus, you'd still have to traverse millions of light years to get back to the Milky Way, which would require tons of power. It's a good idea, but it wouldn't work.

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I'll back you up on that... gate-hopping won't work.

Callimaco
July 18th, 2004, 10:34 PM
That's a very reasonable explanation. And it makes considerable sense. But I need to ask a follow-up question. The question may arise from a misconception on my part though. As I said, I claim no expertise on these matters, and I'm not really prone to paying attention to the technical aspects of the show. So here goes ...

Haven't they used the stargate under normal power levels to travel to other galaxies before? If the answer is no, then your explanation stands firm. But if they have, then my original confusion surfaces again. They'd just need to figure out the proper course of galaxies to gate-hop home.

If anyone can clear this up for me, I'd very much appreciate it.

And thanks for the responses above. It was a niggling thing, and didn't take away from my enjoyment of the show, but I still wanted an explanation.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 10:39 PM
They have never traveled to other galaxies under standard power before. In fact, the only other time they have traveled to another galaxy was in "The Fifth Race," and, in that episode, O'Neill built a homemade ZPM to power the gate.

Callimaco
July 18th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Very good. That clears things up. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers!

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Very good. That clears things up. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers!Happy to help!:)

OsirisDICK
July 18th, 2004, 10:46 PM
someone at the SGC COULD send the Asguard to go find them. Or the Asguard could simply dial up Atlantis and give them some powersources. They do posess the technology and powersources capable of dialing to other galaxies.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 10:47 PM
someone at the SGC COULD send the Asguard to go find them. Or the Asguard could simply dial up Atlantis and give them some powersources. They do pocess the technology and powersources capable of dialing to other galaxies.Well, yeah, but that'd be too easy.

Sargent Prendegast
July 19th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Well didn't the female ancient, the one that left the holographic message, say that the stargate at Atlantis was the only one able to gate back to earth? If that's true then the only way back is through the Atlantis gate. The other gates in the Pegasus galaxy wouldn't be capable of reaching earth.

greytop
July 19th, 2004, 04:23 AM
Well didn't the female ancient, the one that left the holographic message, say that the stargate at Atlantis was the only one able to gate back to earth? If that's true then the only way back is through the Atlantis gate. The other gates in the Pegasus galaxy wouldn't be capable of reaching earth.
The Atlantis stargate was probably the only gate that had enough power to gate back to Earth. The Wraith probably had the other gates in the galaxy covered so their human herd would not escape from them, just like being corraled

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 04:30 AM
The Ancients could've planted gates in the void, so that puddle jumpers could travel to the milky way. Might have taken a while though :) And they only needed to remove one of the gates to make the connection useless.

Racer1441
July 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM
^^^^ D'oh, didn't see the idea already here.

Alright, gave this some thought. Now, it really doesn't make sense in alot of different areas, but this was what I was thinking. The Ancients wouldn't need to do this, they have all the power they need, same with Thor and his buddies, but the SGC could, down the road a good bit, find this idea useful. Now, this is assuming that they cannot find a form of power that allows them to easly return to earth and back.

What if they took gates that had no real use, on worlds that cannot be used by Humans, and place them in the void between the galaxies. They could use the ships to travel back and forth. Gate from Atlantis to the edge of the galaxy, then to the next gate in the void, just floating there like we saw at the Wraith planet, then from there to the next one, and so on, till they get back to our galaxy.

The SGC would certainly need some help doing this, but they certainly can call some favors in. Just a thought.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 04:42 AM
I just said that :D

Racer1441
July 19th, 2004, 04:46 AM
I just said that :D

Haha, just saw that. You make a good point about taking out one gate. If you knew when the SGC was going to travel through this system, and you took out the first and last gate, it'd certainly give a new meaning to the whole lost concept. :)

Legend
July 19th, 2004, 04:53 AM
As far as i know putting a gate in the void wouldn't work... you could put it there and let it float but you wouldn't be able to gate to it becasue (and i might be wrong) but you can only gate to a stargate that is on or in orbit of a planet like the Wraith planet or when sg-1 gated to the goa'uld ship in orbit of a planet in the episode 'Within the Serpent's Grasp'. When that ship left orbit of the planet the sgc couldn't get a lock on it...

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 04:56 AM
I'm not sure on this, but supposedly, the stargates can only function in the presense of a large graviational body (i.e. planet or sun, a black hole is over kill). Supposedly, they can't work in deep space. There has been some debate on this one but some people believe that stargates can only be used at pre-programmed "gateable" worlds. I believe they can move a stargate to any world and use it (either in orbit such as on a spaceship (or outside as we have seen) or on the planet itself).

EDIT: :: Points Above :: ^ Darn, you beat me to it.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 04:56 AM
The Ancients built the gate, I'm sure they know how to program protocols too :>

Legend
July 19th, 2004, 05:05 AM
It's not so much protocol but coordinates, I think the reason it doesn’t work is... what is the 7 symbol address for a gate in 'the void' between galaxies going to be... there needs to be points of references which is how the first six symbols work, and I don’t think your going to get any in 'the void' :)

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 05:08 AM
So what is those gates use some other sort of communication? Laser is too slow, but the idea works. Point-to-Point based, that way they always know where they have eachother, and how far away they are.

DJFavorite
July 19th, 2004, 05:54 AM
I'm not sure on this, but supposedly, the stargates can only function in the presense of a large graviational body (i.e. planet or sun, a black hole is over kill). Supposedly, they can't work in deep space. There has been some debate on this one but some people believe that stargates can only be used at pre-programmed "gateable" worlds. I believe they can move a stargate to any world and use it (either in orbit such as on a spaceship (or outside as we have seen) or on the planet itself).

EDIT: :: Points Above :: ^ Darn, you beat me to it.Here's another point. You need to define the location of the gate in the void. How would you do that? You wouldn't have any other points in space to 'triangulate' (sp) the location of the gate. (your 6 points in space to define an address)

Edited to say: good point Legend, you beat me to it. :)

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 05:58 AM
There are always exceptions. For example 911 works everywhere in the US I guess? Defining distance can be done the same way we measure the distance to the moon. c/2, I guess the calculation is harder then that though, but that's the idea.

July 19th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Let's say you can put a gate between the 2 galaxies, instead of 1 jump from Atlantis to Earth you have 10 gates for smaller jump. The question is how much energy would be required for each jump, is the energy requirement in linear progression or exponential?

And even then, they would still need Asgard's (any super fast ship) help of manually dragging the gate to each location.

Racer1441
July 19th, 2004, 06:00 AM
It's not so much protocol but coordinates, I think the reason it doesn’t work is... what is the 7 symbol address for a gate in 'the void' between galaxies going to be... there needs to be points of references which is how the first six symbols work, and I don’t think your going to get any in 'the void' :)

I think you could get points of reference, because the Universe is 3d, you could have a void between galaxies, but the void could be 'surounded' by galaxies. Think of an empty room, the void, but you still have 4 walls, the floor and the roof. The only difference between the regular gates and these 'void gates' would be the distance from the gate to the reference point. Atleast, i think....

hooliocah
July 19th, 2004, 06:23 AM
And even then, they would still need Asgard's (any super fast ship) help of manually dragging the gate to each location.
Umm... They flew an entire city to another Galaxy, it would stand to reason that they could have dropped a few off on the way.

July 19th, 2004, 06:32 AM
They could, the thing is they don't even have enough energy for the ocean force field. The only ZPM that's powering the city is almost depleted, there is no way they can have enough power to make the trip. If they do secure new ZPMs, then they can just gate back to Earth.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 06:36 AM
I'm not meaning they should do it now. I meant the Ancients should've done it when they traveled to Pegasus.

July 19th, 2004, 06:47 AM
I assume the Ancients find it too much work, power was not an issue for them. They created ZPM to last a long time, but they can only do so much.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Yes, but they usually see to the need of the humans they seeded. The Ancients were a caring race.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Yes, but a Ethernet-network can use hubs both as a repeater and as a... hub.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Well, to throw this into some perspective, according to http://anzwers.org/free/universe/galaxies.html, the Pegasus galxy is about 3,000,000 light years away. In the most extreme case, our galaxy is about 120,000 light in diameter. Assuming that a stargate has enough power to go from one extreme end of the galaxy to another, it should take at least 25 stargates to make the jump. This assuming best case scenario so you could go with 30 to be a little safer and conserve on energy for longer distance jumps. The only problem would be maintaing their position over 5 million years, but assuming they had enough power to last that long, and using the FTL comm between DHDs they stargates could update eachother and move to compensate for stellar drift. Now, whether they have a DHD or not is debateable. Maybe they just have those three stabilizer... thingys that we saw on the orbiting gate and they provide power and communication. Also, they could be special gates that can only "dial" the gates next to them. Hmmm... you know, a netowrk of intergalactic stargates, sounds like room for another spinoff.... Anyway, difficult to manage, but probably not impossible for the Ancients. Then again, why leave the trail of bread crumbs when you have more than enough knoweldge to make a single jump, instead of 30, to cross the distance between galaxies? I know more primative races might have trouble, but they did leave those repositories for a reason. Anyway, there is still the issue that the stargates only function within the presense of a gravitational body (don't know if it is true or not) so this might all be a mute point.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 09:28 AM
The stargate network can't account for gates that aren't inside a galaxy.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM
What Mio said, just because your gating from the edge of your galaxy to a planet at the edge of the other doesn't mean you'll get there. It's an entirely different network and the only way into the network is through the 8th chevron.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:38 AM
That's the standard protocol yes. But there's nothing stopping the Ancients from writing another protocol for GateHopping in the void between galaxies. There are many systems today that can connect to others without a problem.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:39 AM
That's the standard protocol yes. But there's nothing stopping the Ancients from writing another protocol for GateHopping in the void between galaxies. There are many systems today that can connect to others without a problem.
There is something stopping them from writing another protocol...
Their dead/ascended

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Well we were talking about them planting the gates while they traveled to Pegasus =)

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Maybe they didn't rewrite the protocol to keep the Wraith contained in the Pegasus galaxy...
AHHHH, it all makes sense now. :D

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:43 AM
If they wanted to disable the hopping-network all they had to do was remove one of the gates :)

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Why would they stop to drop off gates in the middle of nowhere? They did have a way back to Earth. They weren't planning for the power to run out.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:45 AM
They planted the gates so that travellers could travel from planet to planet. Since every planet with life on it has a gate. Why shouldn't they give them the ability to say hello to their cousins in the Milky Way? Just encrypt the access-point address really well so that no civilisation too young could figure it out.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:49 AM
But like I said, maybe if the Ancients didn't meet the Wraith, they would have merged the gate networks. But since the encounter with the Wraith, the Ancients kept them contained to the Pegasus by keeping the gate systems seperate.

aschen
July 19th, 2004, 09:55 AM
So you can't get from Earth to Atlantis without a tremendous amount of energy. It requires so much energy that the Atlantis team might have made a one way trip to the Pegasus galaxy.

But why couldn't you take the stargate equivalent of an indirect flight back to Earth? Why couldn't the Atlantis team dial a gate closer to Earth and travel there, and then dial a gate even closer to Earth and travel there, and so on until they "gate-hop" to a place close enough to get back home?

I know that indirect flights are a pain, but if it's your only choice then it's your only choice. So why isn't this an option for the Atlantis team? There may be practical problems (knowing the right addresses, for instance), but in principle this seems possible, and it would get around the “not enough energy” problem by dividing up the long trip into a series of shorter ones.

Thoughts? Explanations?

Ok. This is actually sort of an easy question to answer. I have a little problem reading so I didn't go through everyone else's.

Forgive me if you've heard this before...

The first thing you would need in order to make such a trip is a map of the entire gate network. Then you'd have to figure out planet-by-planet, which ones form some sort of an enclosing linear path to Earth.

That takes a while, and it'd be a really effing boring show to boot.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:56 AM
But like I said, maybe if the Ancients didn't meet the Wraith, they would have merged the gate networks. But since the encounter with the Wraith, the Ancients kept them contained to the Pegasus by keeping the gate systems seperate.

They could have disabled it after they met the wraith. Just gate to the planet with a Puddle Jumper, and then sever the link, then gate back.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:57 AM
They planted the gates so that travellers could travel from planet to planet. Since every planet with life on it has a gate. Why shouldn't they give them the ability to say hello to their cousins in the Milky Way?
But they do have that ability already. So why dump a bunch of gates where there's no life at all?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Because they wanted their young ones to meet eachother?

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:58 AM
They could have disabled it after they met the wraith. Just gate to the planet with a Puddle Jumper, and then sever the link, then gate back.
But now that the Wraith knew that there was "fresh meat" disabling the gate wouldn't stop the Wraith from flying around their galaxy by ship.

Ugly Pig
July 19th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Because they wanted their young ones to meet eachother?
Then why didn't they provide their "young ones" with puddle jumpers, which would be needed for this 'gate-hopping'?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Because they'd want their young ones to be mature enough, so that they wouldn't try something stupid.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM
But now that the Wraith knew that there was "fresh meat" disabling the gate wouldn't stop the Wraith from flying around their galaxy by ship.

What do you mean?

The Wraith doesn't need the gates in Pegasus if they have fast enough hyper speed. And getting to the Milky Way... Well the Ancients didn't know that the Wraith were in Pegasus when they dropped of the gates in the void, but when they found out they'd probably cut the inter-galaxy link.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 10:04 AM
What do you mean?

The Wraith doesn't need the gates in Pegasus if they have fast enough hyper speed. And getting to the Milky Way... Well the Ancients didn't know that the Wraith were in Pegasus when they dropped of the gates in the void, but when they found out they'd probably cut the inter-galaxy link.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, one of us misunderstood something so let this be the end of it, cuz now I'm lost and I don't fell like reading everything over again.

David85
July 19th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Did they say that the Atlantis gat was the only one that went to our galaxy in the show? And we don't have power so there goes that.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:06 PM
This whole gate-hopping idea is flawed. In the void between galaxies, there is nothing. You couldn't establish a valid address. The stargate network is based off of using constellations to determine the location of a stargate. Inbetween galaxies, there are no stars, which means no constellations, which means no way to set up a stargate. The point of origin would be invalid, and the stargate would not function.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:09 PM
rocket4477 if you would read several posts I've made in this topic I've explained how that can be solved.

Adamixoye
July 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Well, to throw this into some perspective, according to http://anzwers.org/free/universe/galaxies.html, the Pegasus galxy is about 3,000,000 light years away. In the most extreme case, our galaxy is about 120,000 light in diameter. Assuming that a stargate has enough power to go from one extreme end of the galaxy to another, it should take at least 25 stargates to make the jump. This assuming best case scenario so you could go with 30 to be a little safer and conserve on energy for longer distance jumps.

Nice investigation! I was just about to post my thoughts (I'm an astronomer), but you've pretty much covered it. I think your numbers and/or the numbers on that website are slightly different than what I remember, but they don't dramatically affect your argument, and they're all estimates anyway.

I would make one small quibble...did you mean our galaxy is the "most extreme case" for size, or did you mean in the "most extreme case" of distance within the Milky Way (i.e. a disk diameter instead of its thickness)? If you meant the latter, then good. But the former would be wrong...there are much bigger galaxies than the Milky Way.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Do we really need me to repost My Opinion™ that turns gate symbols into numbers?

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Wait, which gate hopping are we talking about? I'm talking about going to another gate in the Pegasus galaxy that HAS enough power to make a galaxy-to-galaxy trip. There aren't any. The atlantis gate is the only one capable of connecting to Earth.

Even if you hopped to a gate that was, say, 100k light years closer, in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't take a significantly less amount of power.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM
rocket4477 if you would read several posts I've made in this topic I've explained how that can be solved.I have, but I just don't buy what you're saying. You could be right, and I could be wrong, I'm just giving you my opinion.

VirtualCLD
July 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM
I would make one small quibble...did you mean our galaxy is the "most extreme case" for size, or did you mean in the "most extreme case" of distance within the Milky Way (i.e. a disk diameter instead of its thickness)? If you meant the latter, then good. But the former would be wrong...there are much bigger galaxies than the Milky Way.

I meant the latter, the most exteme diameter of our galaxy (I haven't seen a definate, exact max diameter figure for our galaxy, but I assume that we haven't got one. It would be kind of difficult to measure.... Anyone got a super long measuring tape with light year increments on it?)

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM
I meant the latter, the most exteme diameter of our galaxy (I haven't seen a definate, exact max diameter figure for our galaxy, but I assume that we haven't got one. It would be kind of difficult to measure.... Anyone got a super long measuring tape with light year increments on it?)
::roots through the junk drawer:: Sorry. No.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:15 PM
There aren't any. The atlantis gate is the only one capable of connecting to Earth.

Even if you hopped to a gate that was, say, 100k light years closer, in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't take a significantly less amount of power.She's right. If they could find another gate with the right amount of power, then yes, it would work. But the Ancients said that the Atlantis stargate was the only way back to Earth. While one might assume that this is the only gate that can go to Earth, regardless of power, I think you're wrong. Mainly because McKay said that they could find another power source in Pegasus to gate home.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:16 PM
She's right. If they could find another gate with the right amount of power, then yes, it would work. But the Ancients said that the Atlantis stargate was the only way back to Earth. While one might assume that this is the only gate that can go to Earth, regardless of power, I think you're wrong. Mainly because McKay said that they could find another power source in Pegasus to gate home. Yes, but you need to take into consideration that your run-of-the-mill DHDs probably won't let you dial 8 symbol addresses.

so when the holoancient said that "Atlantis stargate was the one and only link back to Earth from this galaxy", she could have meant that they had the only DHD that would accept 8 chevrons.

And wait, who did you refer to as a 'she'?

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The technology has always been fair game, the Gua'uld were never denied access to any worlds, and they abused the gate frequently. The holoancient said that it was the 'one and only link back to Earth from this galaxy'. So at this point, we have no choice but to agree with her.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:22 PM
There probably is a way to make DHD's dial 8 chevrons, but its probably as complicated as modifying the Goa'uld scout ships hyper-drive to increase its speed.

Funaho
July 19th, 2004, 12:23 PM
I'm not so sure about that. The technology has always been fair game, the Gua'uld were never denied access to any worlds, and they abused the gate frequently

My personal favorite theory (I've posted bits about this in another thread today) is that only certain designated gates in a galaxy are set up to link to the gate systems in other galaxies. So in this case what the hologram was saying is that the only link between the Pegasus gate system and the Milky Way gate system is the Atlantis gate. Whether or not there are other "hub" gates in the Milky Way besides Earth remains to be seen.

Erik Pasternak
The holoancient said that it was the 'one and only link back to Earth from this galaxy'. So at this point, we have no choice but to agree with her.The question is, how to interpret that. Is she saying that, regardless of power, the gate in Atlantis is the only one which can dial Earth. Or is she saying that the Wrait were present on all the other worlds so they couldn't go there, plus the fact that none of them had enough power. I'm thinking the latter.

Mio
There probably is a way to make DHD's dial 8 chevrons, but its probably as complicated as modifying the Goa'uld scout ships hyper-drive to increase its speed.
It would probably require pulling the main crystal and adding a program that would be capable of making a connection with 8 chevrons...but then their's power, naturally.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:24 PM
It would probably require pulling the main crystal and adding a program that would be capable of making a connection with 8 chevrons...but then their's power, naturally.
Naturally ;)

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM
The question is, how to interpret that. Is she saying that, regardless of power, the gate in Atlantis is the only one which can dial Earth. Or is she saying that the Wrait were present on all the other worlds so they couldn't go there, plus the fact that none of them had enough power. I'm thinking the latter. Not so much the gate. It's the Dialing computer + power source. The DHDs are not nearly as cool as the dialing computer in Atlantis.

Or, hey, the Ancients had no reason to make gates capable of multi-universe dialing accept for the one in Atlantis, so why would they bother?

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM
have we ever seen anyone trying to dial 8 chevrons with a DHD? I think it's possible to do it without modifying the DHD, but only if you add extra power.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:26 PM
have we ever seen anyone trying to dial 8 chevrons with a DHD? I think it's possible to do it without modifying the DHD, but only if you add extra power.
Well, I'm pretty sure Sam pressed 9 or 10 symbols in one ep :D

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 12:27 PM
We will probably never know...
Which kinda sucks when you think about it.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:27 PM
have we ever seen anyone trying to dial 8 chevrons with a DHD? I think it's possible to do it without modifying the DHD, but only if you add extra power.I agree. If the Ancients were thinking ahead when they added the extra chevrons, they were probably thinking ahead when they designed the DHD.

Wow, I'm agreeing with aAnubiSs, what a shock!:D

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure Sam pressed 9 or 10 symbols in one ep :DThat's what Amanda dialed, but Sam didn't. Sam was just dialing back to Earth from somewhere in the Milky Way.

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM
At the time the hologram was recorded. Can't you hear Daniel Jackson saying right now, "they must have found another way."
The ancients didn't make any more discoveries since then :D

Janet Fraiser
July 19th, 2004, 12:49 PM
My best guess is it's just too far between galaxies. It's much easier to gate hop from world to world within one galaxy. Our closest neighboring galaxy is Andromeda which is 2900 k. light years away!

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Not so much the gate. It's the Dialing computer + power source. The DHDs are not nearly as cool as the dialing computer in Atlantis.

Or, hey, the Ancients had no reason to make gates capable of multi-universe dialing accept for the one in Atlantis, so why would they bother?I would assume that being able to dialdifferent galaxies is a standard gate feature, providing there is enough power.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 12:50 PM
My best guess is it's just too far between galaxies. It's much easier to gate hop from world to world within one galaxy. Our closest neighboring galaxy is Andromeda which is 2900 k. light years away!Hey, I wonder if Andromeda has a gate network.

SPIN-OFF TIME: Stargate: Andromeda!

aschen
July 19th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Not so much the gate. It's the Dialing computer + power source. The DHDs are not nearly as cool as the dialing computer in Atlantis.

Or, hey, the Ancients had no reason to make gates capable of multi-universe dialing accept for the one in Atlantis, so why would they bother?

Multi-galaxy, not universe.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Multi-galaxy, not universe.We all knew what she meant, so lay off. AHHHHHH! I'm defending Mio! It's a sad, sad day!

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Multi-galaxy, not universe.
Whoops!

::puts the copy of timeline down::

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM
First agreeing with me, then defending Mio... you should probably leave the computer now.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Yea, take a nap, rest it off.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM
What you talking about its 5pm! :D

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 01:09 PM
We all knew what she meant, so lay off. AHHHHHH! I'm defending Mio! It's a sad, sad day!
I'm a he.

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 01:10 PM
it's 11pm in godville!

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I'm a he.
Now hes not gonna defend you anymore. He only did it cuz he thought you were a chick. He was macking it with you, or so he thought. :D

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Now hes not gonna defend you anymore. He only did it cuz he thought you were a chick. He was macking it with you, or so he thought. :D

Oh.

In an unrelated matter....I changed my sig.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I'm a he.I am very, very sorry. I think I will take aAnubisS's advice and leave the computer now.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Now hes not gonna defend you anymore. He only did it cuz he thought you were a chick. He was macking it with you, or so he thought. :DTurn off your dirty mind, I'll defend anyone, except you!:p

P.S. I'm back. (Long time to leave, eh?)

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 07:27 PM
In an unrelated matter....I changed my sig. Yep. Very nice.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:28 PM
I am very, very sorry. I think I will take aAnubisS's advice and leave the computer now.
I think we all thought you left...
There wasn't any activity from you for 6 hours.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM
I think we all thought you left...
There wasn't any activity from you for 6 hours.Yeah, I know. A lot of the times when I try to long on to the Forum I can't get through. It drives me CRAZY!

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Seriouly, wow that's weird.
It also kinda sucks... alot.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Seriouly, wow that's weird.
It also kinda sucks... alot.Yeah, well, they say too much of a good thing can be bad.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Not when it comes to Stargate, can't get enough of that.

Erik Pasternak
July 19th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Not when it comes to Stargate, can't get enough of that.You got me there. I can't count how many times I've watched "Rising" already. (I taped it)

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Yea, I have rising as well and I've seen it like 4 times now
I watch the DVD sets over and over.
I've seen each episode at least 3 times, except season 7, no DVD yet, not til september I think

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 09:31 PM
You got me there. I can't count how many times I've watched "Rising" already. (I taped it)
It's so much nicer when you put a copy on a DVD+R :D

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 09:35 PM
It's so much nicer when you put a copy on a DVD+R :D
Why not DVD-R, whats wrong with that, are you biased or something? ;)

Mio
July 19th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Why not DVD-R, whats wrong with that, are you biased or something? ;)
because I don't have any DVD-R media on me atm.

Blend
October 1st, 2004, 02:21 AM
late reply, dont care..... lol

But why cant this idea work??

They dialed the asgard galaxy with that device oniel made.

In that episode where the second carter came from the other dimension, they found a way to re-set it.

Did they just throw it away after? no? where is it? why dont they use it?

Mio
October 1st, 2004, 02:55 AM
Maybe it burned out.

In any case, Since you ressurected this thread, I feel like pointing out that because of the events in 'Home' I was right about the Atlantis gate being the only one to dial earth because of a magical controlk crystal.
nah-nah-nah-nah-nah :)

greytop
October 1st, 2004, 02:44 PM
It doesn't work, and I'll tell you why. You can gate around the Pegasus galaxy all you want, and you won't use that much power. But inbetween the galaxies all there is a an empty void, no planets, no stars, no nothing. No place to put a stargate. So, even if you gated to the edge of Pegasus, you'd still have to traverse millions of light years to get back to the Milky Way, which would require tons of power. It's a good idea, but it wouldn't work.

I agree with rocket. The void between the galaxies is to great. It even takes the Asgard almost twelve hours, using their hyper engines, to get to Earth.

Ancient 1
October 3rd, 2004, 12:00 AM
12 hours between galaxies. That must seem a long time to the Asgard. If they had children, I could hear them now..."Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" and finally, "Are we there yet?" :rolleyes:

Blend
October 3rd, 2004, 02:16 AM
r u sure its 12 hours...

in 8x01 they went from the asgard planet after defeating the replicators to earth in like a second

Sierra Golf 1
October 3rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
The Ancients could've planted gates in the void, so that puddle jumpers could travel to the milky way. Might have taken a while though :) And they only needed to remove one of the gates to make the connection useless.

To deal with the problem of point of origin, the Ancients could have 'fooled' the gates into thinking that they themselves were the planets, or that they're on invisible planets. But, the gate coordinates are based on constellations. The only place that there are constellations are within galaxies, where there are stars.

Firecast
October 3rd, 2004, 09:55 AM
this is something that confused me between the film and show....the film said abydos was in the 'accelum' galaxy?

Mio
October 3rd, 2004, 09:56 AM
this is something that confused me between the film and show....the film said abydos was in the 'accelum' galaxy?

The easiest thing to do is to ignore everything that was ever said in the movie. It sucked anyway :)

Firecast
October 3rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
lol, well being as the film started it all, theres only little bits we can ignore!

Mio
October 3rd, 2004, 10:17 AM
lol, well being as the film started it all, theres only little bits we can ignore!

Phft. They didn't even keep the stargate the same. We can ignore it :)

We can say that the series was 'loosely inspired' by the film :)

greytop
October 3rd, 2004, 10:17 AM
r u sure its 12 hours...

in 8x01 they went from the asgard planet after defeating the replicators to earth in like a second
I believe Thor said it took 12 hours from Earth to Halla in Unnatural Selection (S6), using Asgard tech, of course.

Mio
October 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
I believe Thor said it took 12 hours from Earth to Halla in Unnatural Selection (S6), using Asgard tech, of course.

That's when you are towing Prometheus :)

Without Prometheus in tow, they can get here in minutes.

greytop
October 3rd, 2004, 10:20 AM
You're right, Mio.

Mio
October 3rd, 2004, 10:24 AM
You're right, Mio.

As usual ;)

Firecast
October 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
sorry i dont remember that episode????

ah yeh i remember...the replicater planet.

Armagaiden
August 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I agree with rocket. The void between the galaxies is to great. It even takes the Asgard almost twelve hours, using their hyper engines, to get to Earth.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what's so funny about this thread is that the guys original idea is NOW BEING PUT TO USE by the SG:A team by seeding the void between the galaxies with stargates!! Brilliant!! So all who have since replied are WRONG :p :p :p !!! My hats off to the original thread poster! They're doing it now 2 years later after your original post! :D

Stevo
August 7th, 2006, 10:33 PM
(ghost voice) 2 Years Later ooooooooooo.

pretty funny in a way

Steven_the_Atlantean
August 9th, 2006, 04:13 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, what's so funny about this thread is that the guys original idea is NOW BEING PUT TO USE by the SG:A team by seeding the void between the galaxies with stargates!! Brilliant!! So all who have since replied are WRONG :p :p :p !!! My hats off to the original thread poster! They're doing it now 2 years later after your original post! :D

LOL, HAHAHAHAHA!
:vortex04: