This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperdrive vs BSG FTL drive

Ok so we know that theoretically Battlestar Galactica's "Hyperlight" engine is much faster than any form of hyperdrive, as it's instantanious. The only thing that takes time are the calculations.

So I was wandering. What will take longer-the Deadalus' trip to Atlantis or the Galactica's calculations for an extra Galactic jump?

P.S. I reckon that the Tollan FTL drive as explained to Daniel in the first episode we met the Tollan is probably the same thing as the BSG drive. Discuss
    Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
    +
    Join the Adeptus Astartes

I guess the BSG FTL is based on folding space while stargate hyper space is based on the theory of traveling to another dimention (hyperspace) where the rules of physics are diffrent and the speed of light is faster

The only unknown is how far the FTL drives can go. i can';t remember anytime in the show when they have told us any distances or how long it takes to calculate a jump.

But the galactica can speed up its calculation type heaps by joining its computers together but that leaves them open to cylon attack.

so i guess galactica would be faster if they didn't have to worry about cylon attack.

but in a fight the dedy would win they heave beaming tech and sheilds but thats not really a contest the glactica could run away easy and untrackable.

prob for another thread but what about a viper vs a F302?

Comment

I reckon f302 as it's technically more advanced and it can apparently maneuvre in space without maneuvering thrusters(like the ones on the viper), which is complete bull but it's sci fi so whatcha gonna do. I suppose not having to rely on those will give the f302 an advantage. Also-I don't think i've seen the viper use missiles-if they don't actually carry them then Vipers are screwed. They only destroy Cylon raiders as easily cos they are being piloted by machines/hero factor. But this is not to be discussed further.

I think the BSG drive is prolly something like the Gravity drive off Event Horizon-which is based on folding space as far as I know.

ANyone else have comments on whats faster? Deadalus or GAlactica?
      Semper Vigilans!

+

Comment

Originally posted by Publius Aemilius Aper
        I reckon f302 as it's technically more advanced and it can apparently maneuvre in space without maneuvering thrusters(like the ones on the viper), which is complete bull but it's sci fi so whatcha gonna do. I suppose not having to rely on those will give the f302 an advantage. Also-I don't think i've seen the viper use missiles-if they don't actually carry them then Vipers are screwed. They only destroy Cylon raiders as easily cos they are being piloted by machines/hero factor. But this is not to be discussed further.

I think the BSG drive is prolly something like the Gravity drive off Event Horizon-which is based on folding space as far as I know.

ANyone else have comments on whats faster? Deadalus or GAlactica?
        I would have to say Deadalus

Comment

The FTL drive on the BSG is much better, but doesn't have the cool blue hyperpath.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

bsg is based on known space physics. in space wings won't do any good so there's a need for verniers. in SG it seems like space craft are flying as if in an atmosphere.

in space vipers are more mobile

Comment

Originally posted by asgard007
              I would have to say Deadalus
              Uh...in BSG, the FTL drive is instantaneous. How is it again that the Daedalus is faster?
              "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

The strength of the BSG drive is ambush. It can cheese beat other ships a lot better than it is just by jumping in on top of them and laying into them when they're not ready. This would probably work on the Daedalus to given how ridiculously huge the BSG (and the shells it fires) are compared to the D. Galactica could jump in right under it and tear it to shreds with that sick wall of railgun fire before Caldwell even got the shields up.

In a stand up fight though the Galactica wouldn't have a chance beam+nuke=dead in seconds.

302 vs viper is probably more about the pilots. The viper does have missiles, they were used in a few episodes. The 302 is probably a bit faster and more manuverable but it's debateable whether the vipers newtonian flying is an advantage or disadvantage in combat. When was the last time you saw a 302 flip around and shoot behind it while still moving forward for example. Another point on the 302, doesn't it also only have missiles. What I'm getting at is if it fires off all 4 (6?) it has is it defencless if it hasn't managed to kill the viper yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star
                  Uh...in BSG, the FTL drive is instantaneous. How is it again that the Daedalus is faster?

Has the BSG ever traveled to another galaxy?

Comment

SGA's episode "Intruder" showed that the f302 has machine/rail guns as well as missiles.

I know that teh BSG Hyperlight engine is instantenious but I also know taht it takes them a while to calculate jumps. If local jumps take a while then how long will it take them to calculate an intergalactic jump? My question was what will be faster-Deadalus' hyperdrive or the Galactica's calculations?
                    Semper Vigilans!

+

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star

range

Comment

It is impossible to determine what is better given that the science used in Stargate and BSG are so very different. I guess I would go with BSG because it is based more on our current understanding of space than SG where rules of realistic science are more commonly ignored. Stargate society is based on Earth while BSG is based on a totally different branch of humanity that is much more developed but still closely related to us. FTL's would seem to be better, if we take the Cylon version of the technology which was much more efficient and how Starbuck was able to get to Caprica from where ever they were in one jump then it can be very effective. Hyperdrive's seem much more efficient for longer range travel but I don't know if I can reconcile spanning such huge distances in such short a short timeframe as a few weeks. That just doesn't seem plausible to me where as the limitations and uses of BSG FTL's seem much more realistic but given the difference in the two shows that is understandable since they are going in that direction, a much more gritty and realistic drama than just a sci fi show which is more in line with SG-1 and Atlantis. Not that it is bad just that it reflects the different focus of the shows and the approaches that they take to them.

Comment

Depends on 1. How far an FTL drive can jump at once. 2. How fast they can calculate jumps. If the Daedalus goes farther then a jump in less time then the FTL calculations take its faster.
                          sigpic
                          I am Zim, Irken Invader Zim. I am responsible for the safe obliteration of the human race, not you!' - Zim - Invader Zim
                          'Don't worry, officer. You are in a filthy Earth brain hospital. Your feelings are normal. There's a squid brain in your head! ' - Zim - Invader Zim
                          'Now, to unleash screaming temporal doom! ' - Zim -Invader Zim

Comment

Originally posted by bcharley
                            Has the BSG ever traveled to another galaxy?
                            What does that have to do with speed? That has to do with distance and is not related to the original question.

Originally posted by Publius Aemilius Aper
                            I know that teh BSG Hyperlight engine is instantenious but I also know taht it takes them a while to calculate jumps. If local jumps take a while then how long will it take them to calculate an intergalactic jump? My question was what will be faster-Deadalus' hyperdrive or the Galactica's calculations?
                            Why would the Galactica need to make an intergalactic jump? They have shown no need to make one in the show so far. Because there is no way to determine how long or what they would go through to make the necessary calculations to do so, it is impossible to guess how long they would take. But I suppose you could figure it would be a while, days probably. I seriously doubt that it would take weeks to make the necessary calculations, but it could be possible (that's even assuming the FTL drive was even capable of such a thing).
                            "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

they can barely jump across the kobol planets system

Comment

Working...
                              X