This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tollan Ion Cannons

This has bugged me ever since the Tollan got wiped out by the goa'uld. Now we have seen on many instances that Goa'uld shields lose power after continuous bombardment. So are the writers trying to tell us that the ENTIRE Tollan defense network didn't pack enough punch to take down one single mothership??? How do you guys explain this? Plat device, brain fart...
    Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
    +
    Join the Adeptus Astartes

Think of the Ion Cannons like the flu vaccine, if you use it year after year it flu is going to find a way to beat it. I believe that the Goa'uld found a way of upgrading their shields to cancel the effect of the blast.

Comment

The ion cannons advantage i think was being able to pierce goa'uld shields so if they brought a fleet they would have had tremendous losses but with the shield enhancements a small fleet could have destroyed it quickly.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

yes - we could majorly screw up a goa'ulds day wityh out current weapons if they were able to penetrate goa'uld shields. Our actual real life tech is coming along very nicely too.

Once they lost the ability to penetrate, they were thoroughly buggered. I think they should heve worked on a way to launch the weapons into space, then they could just have launceh the weapons they had been developing. For a smart race they're incredibly short-sighted...
        "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Well technically the Tolaln claim to be more advanced than us was false. They were more advanced technologically. We were more advanced than them in several fields- Politics, strategic thinking and common sense among the list of many.
          Semper Vigilans!

Play www.stargatewars.com
          +
          Join the Adeptus Astartes

Comment

common sense, strategic thinking and politics don't make you more advanced. 1 shows you aren't an idiot, another shows you can blow the crap out of something effectivitely and politics has did its fair share of damage over the years.

the Goa'uld ship which attacked Tollana was one of Anubis' ships, which would have included ancient shield and weapon enchancements which would have allowed him to easily survive being attacked. even the Asgard couldn't stop one of these powered up motherships.

a normal mothership wouldn' have stood a chance but with the knowledge Anubis had, protecting his ships from Ions wouldn't have been a problem. we've seen how much stress Ancient shields can withstand

sigpic

Comment

Difference being between earth and the tollans was that while humans faced a dark age in terms of technology there were countless wars going on. So if you fight constantly you develop things as tactics and know what to do in a war. Contrast this with the Tollan who didnt have a dark age, advanced technologically but had no concept of war in their society. Their soldiers were technically police officers in a manner of speaking who relied on technology not on tactics to win.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

well the answer is that the ion cannons are designed to penetrate and impact upon the hull yes???thus destroyin whoever the tolans are unhappy with but they are completely defencless when their sheild penetrating cannons meet alteran sheilds....well thats me done i agree with the smart ppl who posted before me
                tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

To be fair, we don't know for sure that the tolans were completely wiped out. If there were, then why weren't the supersoldiers walking through our iris. All the goa'uld would need to do would be to blend with a tolan scientist to gain all their knowledge.

Comment

Its likely that it wasnt a ground invasion but an ariel assault as even without their ion cannons the tollans could do some damage to the jaffa legions with their phase tech. Also remember that at this period Anubis was just marshalling his forces and couldnt afford to waste anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevos
                      To be fair, we don't know for sure that the tolans were completely wiped out. If there were, then why weren't the supersoldiers walking through our iris. All the goa'uld would need to do would be to blend with a tolan scientist to gain all their knowledge.
                      True, personally I hope they waren't wiped out. But they didn't have any ships that would do any good.

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBaron
                        True, personally I hope they waren't wiped out. But they didn't have any ships that would do any good.
                        how do u know this???evidence
                        tokra operative with sg-6 !!!
                        yep a tokra on a sg team who wulda thunk??
                        Character Name:Tok'ra-ragnor

the mighty sg-6!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RA the sun god
                          how do u know this???evidence
                          I belive I read it somewhere or heard it on an episode. I'll try to search for it. They did have some small ships but I don't think the Tollans had any wharships, motherships or something like that.

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

the moment the Tollan knew they couldn't defeat a Goa'uld mothership, i do not think they would be dumb enough to just keep all their people on the planet. they built one gate, they could have created a second in secret and used it to send important people to their version of an Alpha or Beta site.

when the chancellor said they people were growing to quickly, that could have just been a carefully placed comment to make it seem like the were growing and not sending people secretly offworld

sigpic

Comment

They had some ships as they used them to get from their old home world to their new one. They said there wasn't a stargate on their new homeworld.

Comment

Working...
                              X