This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caller ID

In Stargate Atlantis you would think the the creators of the 2 known Stargate networks would of created some kind of caller ID at Atlantis. It just boggles the mind that they didn't come up with that Tech when they bulit Atlantis.
    Last edited by Lieutenant Colonel Davis; 11 January 2006, 12:56 AM.

Originally posted by Captain Davis
    In Stargate Atlantis you would think the the creators of the 2 known Stargate networks would of created some kind of caller ID at Atlantis. It just boggles the mind that they didn't come up with that Tech when they bulit Atlantis.
    well, if the number of puddlejumpers that were in atlantis when the team first arrived is any indication, i'm willing to bet that the vast majority of gate travel was via jumpers. And the jumpers most likely had some kind of identifying system in place to make themselves known to Atlantis. No identifier, no access.

Comment

What I mean is when lets say a baddie used a holo device and dialed from a planet, That planets gate address would show up on some console in the gate control room. So then a team could be dispatched to that planet a pacify that bad guy.

Comment

There probably wasn't that many bad guys for the Atlantians to deal with at first so all the Worlds with gates were friendly. I do agree thought that it would have been useful when the Wraith came about just in case.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

In before i sleep i think it was Janus told Weir that he was going to block all incoming wormholes with the forcefield exept earth to me this means that there is a way of detecting a kind of caller id
          Earn Money For Clicking your Mouse
          Advercash

Comment

Originally posted by Wick
            In before i sleep i think it was Janus told Weir that he was going to block all incoming wormholes with the forcefield exept earth to me this means that there is a way of detecting a kind of caller id
            Janus could of meant that they weren't going to lower the force shield unless radio contact was made from Earth. Or McKay could of used his genius and made something that could detect when a wormhole was established from another galaxy.

Comment

Radio contact could be faked. unlikely, yes, but these are the ancients, they woiuldn't take the chance - they did things big...

Why would mcKay do it - it was the ancient that said it - 1000s of yrs before mcKay was born. +detecting that it's a wormhole from another whould be harder than a general caller ID system - face it guys - there is a system - we just don't know how to use it. Possibly it's only in the atlantis gates.
              "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Yeah since Janus had a way to block all incoming addresses except earths then they do have some kind of identification system.

Comment

I think they should have some way of communicating back. You dial the gate, send your IDC, then you get conformation that it is OK.
                  *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
                  *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
                  *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
                  *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
                  *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
                  *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
                  *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

The first scene in rising 1 shows a puddlejumper flying through the city's shield. Most likely the same type of shielding is used for the iris on the gate. If all gate travel was done by puddlejumper, there would be no need for idc's. The gate would activate, the gateshield would go up, puddlejumper goes through shield, any pursuers get crushed.

Best Stargate quote:
                    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

there would be some way to find where an incoming wormhole was coming from (possibly to do with the point of origin), but this may be an "optional feature" of the gate which hasn't been activated/atlantis team doesnt know how to use it.

Comment

In developing software I often place features into the system for when I need to debug, or need additional information that the user normally doesn't need. I would bet the gate's will respond to commands which aren't normally used, such as a 'Who are you?' query.

Also, Atlantis may very well be able to detect the source of the gate, but they haven't found that 'button' yet.
                        "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Davis
                          That's a good Idea. That's possible.

Comment

In one of the sg-1 episodes (i think it was either the one where tealc got stuck in the gate or the one where they let the wormhole pass though a sun), mckay said theres hundreds of signals the gate uses to communicate with the dhd, i think its a safe bet something as simple as caller id would be part of them.

Comment

Magneto, exactly, and there's probably a lot of communication going on between the two stargates themselves, such as a message by the receiving gate that it's ready to receive data, etc.
                              "For now, you are in need of food and rest, and I am in need of armor"

Comment

Working...
                              X