This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The untapped potential of Ronon Dex

We've seen Dex now for near on a season now and I think we've got a good scope of what he is supposed to be like. He has shown himself to be very uncultured and unlearned sometimes which I feel does not make sense. He showed himself
    Spoiler:
    unable to grasp phenomina like a time dialation device in Epiphany
    or use a knife and fork in Duet. I know he has been on the run for years but from the snippets of his past and the footage from the MALP of his world in Runner we appear to be shown that it was quite advanced if not more advanced than earth (they appeared to use energy weapons). I think the writers seem to have forgotten his past. Teyla still serves as a guide for the expedition yet Ronon never seems to lead the team anywhere or offer useful information on other worlds despite the fact that he has been on the run for seven years meaning he must have visited hundreds of worlds, far more than Teyla one would imagine, as he had to jump planets regularly. I think that Momoa has played the character very well, in fact better than he has been written and has the potential to offer a lot more but the writers seem to be ignoring many opportunities afforded by exploring his past. I don't think given the apparent level of sophistication of his world he should appear so dumb (I shall say for want of a better word) sometimes when there are complex notions involving scientific situations. This is not an attack on Dex by any means as I enjoy the character and think he is played well by Momoa, I just think he could be even better if used to potential.

Originally posted by Wolf Eire
    Teyla still serves as a guide for the expedition yet Ronon never seems to lead the team anywhere or offer useful information on other worlds despite the fact that he has been on the run for seven years meaning he must have visited hundreds of worlds, far more than Teyla one would imagine, as he had to jump planets regularly.
    As a runner, I doubt Ronan interacted with the villagers all that much. He might steal some food and stuff from them from time to time but he's definitely no diplomate, unlike Teyla. So it definitely makes more sense for Teyla to be the one negotiating, etc.

As for the silverware stuff, I guess Ronan is more used to chopsticks or some other kind of utensil (or the military guys of his homeworld don't need to have any mannors at all).
    I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

We've seen Dex now for near on a season now and I think we've got a good scope of what he is supposed to be like. He has shown himself to be very uncultured and unlearned sometimes which I feel does not make sense. He showed himself
      Spoiler:
      or use a knife and fork in Duet. I know he has been on the run for years but from the snippets of his past and the footage from the MALP of his world in Runner we appear to be shown that it was quite advanced if not more advanced than earth (they appeared to use energy weapons). I think the writers seem to have forgotten his past. Teyla still serves as a guide for the expedition yet Ronon never seems to lead the team anywhere or offer useful information on other worlds despite the fact that he has been on the run for seven years meaning he must have visited hundreds of worlds, far more than Teyla one would imagine, as he had to jump planets regularly. ............

His people were advanced....he is not dumb....let him show it

maybe if he is allowed to show his brainy/cultured side - he'd resemble too much ?
      It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory
        As a runner, I doubt Ronan interacted with the villagers all that much. He might steal some food and stuff from them from time to time but he's definitely no diplomate, unlike Teyla. So it definitely makes more sense for Teyla to be the one negotiating, etc.

As for the silverware stuff, I guess Ronan is more used to chopsticks or some other kind of utensil (or the military guys of his homeworld don't need to have any mannors at all).
        Yeah, i would imagine him being in and out of each planet, not taking time to learn about it.

As for the knife and fork bit ... that was surprising, although chopsticks etc would explain that. As for understanding science concepts - for some people, that's hard. I don't find it hard to think he may not have paid much attention at school in science lessons . That's not saying he's dumb ... but i find that some people don't always get along with school / fall into the wrong crowd.

Overall, i've grown to like Ronan ... in particular his relationship with Teyla ... how she guides him in Tau'ri ways and procedures.

Sorry to Ford fans , but i think he's a better, more interesting character than Season 1 Ford.
        I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

there's still season 3 to 8

Comment

Originally posted by Quinn Mallory

If that's the case then why don't they tell us? We don't hear enough about his culture or people. Whether they're nearly extinct or not he still had a culture.

I also accept as a runner he couldn't get too familiar with a place but through sheer number of places visited he must know a lot of things. The only time this has really come up was in Coup d'Etat when
            Spoiler:
            he could read the languages on the wanted photos

Comment

Just because the society is advanced doesn't mean you would know what a time dialation device is. And that doesn't necessarily makes him dumb either. But I agree that he is underused. He ought to be more useful than just as a good fighter (but I love his fighting style).
              S.T.A.K.S. if you think kirking stinks...

Jackson: Earth minutes?
              Mitchell: Yeah, I've always wanted to say that.
              Vala: Well, now you have.

Image hosted by RandomImage.net

Member of Ben Hiney Club, Happy Trails Club and The Amazing Arm Appreciation Association Dex's Devil

Comment

I think that Momoa has played the character very well, in fact better than he has been written and has the potential to offer a lot more but the writers seem to be ignoring many opportunities afforded by exploring his past.
                I think this is an interesting point. I believe Jason Momoa said in an interview that he hadn't had much input into the character as yet as the character of Dex had been mapped out pretty well for the rest of the season. It will be interesting next season to see if they use the strengths of the actor more and allow him to show the subtleties a little more.

I suppose another point is that they maybe weren't sure how popular Dex was going to be and didn't want to concentrate too much on one character at the expense of others - and so alienate viewers.

Comment

Spoiler:
                  or use a knife and fork in Duet. I know he has been on the run for years but from the snippets of his past and the footage from the MALP of his world in Runner we appear to be shown that it was quite advanced if not more advanced than earth (they appeared to use energy weapons). I think the writers seem to have forgotten his past. Teyla still serves as a guide for the expedition yet Ronon never seems to lead the team anywhere or offer useful information on other worlds despite the fact that he has been on the run for seven years meaning he must have visited hundreds of worlds, far more than Teyla one would imagine, as he had to jump planets regularly. I think that Momoa has played the character very well, in fact better than he has been written and has the potential to offer a lot more but the writers seem to be ignoring many opportunities afforded by exploring his past. I don't think given the apparent level of sophistication of his world he should appear so dumb (I shall say for want of a better word) sometimes when there are complex notions involving scientific situations. This is not an attack on Dex by any means as I enjoy the character and think he is played well by Momoa, I just think he could be even better if used to potential.
                  Just because his homeworld was advanced, that doesn't meen they used knife and fork, the Asgard don't.

And if I remember right, Dex was the warrior type on his homeworld, so... you get the point.

Hallowed are the fans of Stargate!

Comment

his planet would've owned earth

Comment

If that's the case then why don't they tell us? We don't hear enough about his culture or people. Whether they're nearly extinct or not he still had a culture.
                      I agree; they need to give us more of a glimpse into Ronan's world. I wonder if his character was written to be so ... well ... "uncultured" as a way of setting him apart from the other societies we've come across in the Pegasus Galaxy and make him seem more alien in his initial integration into the SGA team. However, if that was TPTB's intention, it would have helped if we had seen him as a little less brutish or if they gave more background on his world.

I do really enjoy Jason Momoa's work as Ronan, and I do hope that they give his character more opportunities for growth in the future. He's smart enough to outwit the Wraith for years; let's see him use his brains *and* brawn.

Comment

Some very interesting views here, really enjoyed reading each one. I don't think that Ronon is "dumb", (knowing the word was used for lack of another) I think some of the words that are used seem to confuse him, words he has not heard used. Example in Runner, the gate, Ronon repeated it as the Acient ring..or something like that. I've picked up in several shows that McKay or someone will speak a word or phrase and Ronon will repeat it, and usually Teylas explains the word. There are so many questions about Ronon that everyone, including myself, are wondering about, and yes maybe they are being too slow about it, but I like that we don't know everything all at once....about anyone of them really, kind of takes the mystery away if they go too fast. As for the knife and fork thing...seems to me Ronon had lots of food and lord knows when he last ate anything good, so he just attacked it...or should I use woofed it..lol...I have enjoyed the friendship between Sheppard, Ronon and Teyla....I find it really interesting how firecely protective Ronon is of Sheppard. As mentioned before, Momoa did say that he was the new kid and did not feel he should jump in and give his view and opinon on where Ronon should be....and that they have planned out Ronon for Season 2. Where ever it may lead I am looking forward to the ride, and hope that they give us more pieces of Ronon...not dragging it out too long...yet, don't give away everything at once...Long winded yes I know, so very sorry...I'm just really excited that most everyone is keeping an open mind about Jason Momoa/Ronon Dex....giving things a fair chance because he is amazing in his acting and Ronon Dex is a great role for him! Ok, I'll stop now..LOL..
                        Purple's Biggest Fan
                        A Purple Creation

Atlantis Dex Style

Dex Devil

Comment

Originally posted by NakedJehutyV2
                          there's still season 3 to 8
                          where did that come from?
                          are there going to be 8 seasons of SG:A or are you talking about SG-1?

Comment

sga

Comment

Working...
                            X