This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-America jab falls on its face

Did anyone else notice the obvious jab at President Bush and the USA? Part of the way through the episode, the Prime Minister basically says
    Spoiler:
    (when the President calls) that she won't turn the situation to him because unlike him, she won't turn it into a war... and then sues for peace.

Then at the end of the episode,
    Spoiler:
    she blows the freakin' aliens up!

Talk about taking a liberal stand and then promptly doing the opposite lol

Pot, Kettle, Black if you want my opinion

Comment

*still hasnt seen it*

Its on my to-do list
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Okay...would have thought that seeing it before posting a comment was kinda relevant...but seeing as its not....
        Dunno...haven't seen it...

Comment

Well the thing is

Spoiler:

"I dont want to turn this into a war" Which could mean 2 things:
          1. She really wanted the peaceful option to work, but gave up on it when they where on the Sycorax ship, killing the two men in front of her was what made her use force on the ship with the energy beam

2. She always planned to destroy the ship, but knew that nothing but Torchwood had the tech to do it, she didnt want a massive battle before they were ready, which could end up damaging the Torchwood weapon and basically loosing any hope we had
          Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
          - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

And besides, she didnt cause a war. She blew the ship up. Bush would have caused a war.

Im sorry, I support the comment. Id make it myself. The US had NO right to demand to take control. It was over British air space, and the US government needed someone to tell them to go F off and stop playing God.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I think that this was really having a go at the UK saying how we say 'Oh we are better than US and wont sink to their level' when in reality we do.
              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I said at the beginning of the thread I wished that Tony Blair had Harriet Jones' balls, but then RTD is known for his little digs at Blair, remember the episode World War 3 when the aliens were talking about Massive weapons of Distruction

Comment

Oh how couydl I forget that as the big Slytheen said, 'Victory should be Naked !!!'
                  Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                    *still hasnt seen it*

Its on my to-do list
                    Its probably best to put it on your christmas list since it was a christmas episode and chances are that with the way the BBC and Sci-Fi nogotiations are going, that it wont be on in America untill christmas 2006.
                    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett
                      And besides, she didnt cause a war. She blew the ship up. Bush would have caused a war.

Im sorry, I support the comment. Id make it myself. The US had NO right to demand to take control. It was over British air space, and the US government needed someone to tell them to go F off and stop playing God.
                      Defending the sovereign rights of your nation?!?

Sir, that is an anti-American statement.

Especially, if you look at American history.

Comment

In one scene she says of the US president: "He is not my boss and he is certainly not turning this into a war."

Was this the anti-American statement everyone was talking about?

Comment

^ That's the one. It's a pop at Blair, Bush and Thatcher for the Belgrano incident.

Normally I don't enjoy politics being mixed with fiction, but RTD gets my wholehearted support.

Comment

Originally posted by Egeria
                            ^ That's the one. It's a pop at Blair, Bush and Thatcher for the Belgrano incident.
                            Well, this isn't a new stance for Doctor Who.

It's been anti-war since...the third season (1965), I think.

Originally posted by Egeria
                            Normally I don't enjoy politics being mixed with fiction, but RTD gets my wholehearted support.
                            Really? That's why I love Sci-Fi...for it's social commentary on our modern world.

In fact, I believe that's why science fiction exists as a genre...to challenge our preconceptions.

Doctor Who in particular has a very populist anti-war statement which are very dangerous themes to echo through an empire.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
                              Talk about taking a liberal stand and then promptly doing the opposite lol
                              That's the whole point RTD was making.

Doctor Who
                              Season 2: The Christmas Invasion
                              Spoiler:

She was in over her head.

She was weak.

She choose to use violence in a moment of desperation even when she knew better.

She should have trusted the Doctor, but her fear made her sink to George W. Bush's level.

The moral of this story is fear can even lead good people to act like the bullies they depise.

I've witnessed quite a lot this recently.

That was a timely message, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X