This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting locations

Does anyone here get bothered by the fact that the Caprica locations (Vancouver downtown) looks so different from the Caprica in the opening sequence? Or is it just because I live in Vancouver and that the 'illusion' has been ruined for me?

I still love BSG and Vancouver but I just wanted to get insight from people that have never visited the proud hometown of SG-1, SGA, BSG, 4400, X-files, etc. I just wish my brain would stop contradicting the fantasy everytime I see our Central Library or the Scotiabank Tower (the 'tall' skyscraper with the red S) or the Chan Centre (the location of the Quorum of 12).

Originally posted by nova9
    Does anyone here get bothered by the fact that the Caprica locations (Vancouver downtown) looks so different from the Caprica in the opening sequence? Or is it just because I live in Vancouver and that the 'illusion' has been ruined for me?

I still love BSG and Vancouver but I just wanted to get insight from people that have never visited the proud hometown of SG-1, SGA, BSG, 4400, X-files, etc. I just wish my brain would stop contradicting the fantasy everytime I see our Central Library or the Scotiabank Tower (the 'tall' skyscraper with the red S) or the Chan Centre (the location of the Quorum of 12).
    I lived there for eight months, on a university co-op workterm, it was great. But yeah, I find the locations eerie, especially the public library by Moshie Safdie... it stands out like a sore thumb, but you have to admit, a contemporary coliseum does fit very well into the world of the colonials.

The Chan Centre, although a perfect location for the show, also stands out like nothing else if you've ever seen a performance there.

Great city, I'd consider moving back.

Comment

Well, as someone who's never been to Vancouver - but would like very much to go for some odd reason - I can put in my two cents.

The locations don't normally bother me a bit. Most of the time, I'm too wrapped up in what's actually going on in the story (and thinking Oh my GODS, you did NOT just do that!) that I don't notice the buildings. Thus, I also didn't pay much attention to the difference in Caprican architecture through time, though I'd think Caprica City would be big enough to house a multitude of styles and forms.

One exception to the "not-bothered" rule: I'm guessing it's the library that you mentioned, but the "marketplace" on "Caprica" that's in the "courtyard" of some "building" always bugs me - it was also in SG-1 as the first(?) home of the Tollan. I think it showed up somewhere else as well, but I always always get jolted out of Six killing that baby by expecting the skinny!Gate in the background somewhere.
      Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
      sigpic

Comment

I know what you are saying. I have been out West and it just weird seeing something in a different context. I get like that when I see shows or movies that have been shot in Winnipeg... 'Cause I know that building is not what is in the shot. It drives me insane, but after awhile, I become proud that something that was built in my hometown is being shown over the world.

Comment

The marketplace scene, the scene where Helo shoots Sharon on Caprica, and many homeworlds are shot at Simon Fraser University 'Quadrangle' designed by Arthur Erickson. Just to inform...haha.

Also, in the same episode, the 'Airport' or whatever that they wanted to get a ship to get off Caprica, that's Koerner library at UBC. Books, space vessels, same thing. Haha.

Comment

Working...
          X