PDA

View Full Version : How many Trek nods did they make?

Livi2Jack
July 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I couldn't help noticing the costumes...Dr. Weir in command wore red as did Picard. Dr. McKay wore Blue as did Dr. Beckett as did Dr. Crusher and Troi for science. No fun without the "red shirts."

And get a load of the "bridge."

What else did you spot?

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Major shepered has a black one so does Lt Ford.

Hyperspace
July 20th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Yeah the new uniforms are kinda Trek-like. Stargate has supplanted Trek as the new scifi adventure series of choice. Plus the command coded colors works nicely.

Hellcat
July 20th, 2004, 01:41 AM
There have always been much "hints" to StarTrek, and once they even redid the attack on the DeathStar (it was the attack on Anubis' super weaponed ship).

So, why not? :D

But I always love O'Neils refferings to the Simpsons :)

Anthro Girl
July 20th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Hmmm...should this have spoiler space for Rising? :o

I didn't notice the Trek nods in Rising as much as I did in SG-1's New Order, but that's interesting about the uniform colors.

I did notice the Star Wars nod of "We come from a galaxy far, far away..." :D

Hellcat
July 20th, 2004, 04:08 AM
What about the most obvious "OMG! We are teh stranded :eek: We can not get home :eek: 71years of jouney before us :eek:" :D

Obviosly ST-VOY, isn't it :cool:

Hyperspace
July 20th, 2004, 04:37 AM
I think at Warp 9.975, Voyager's maximum speed, it would take 625,302 years to get to the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy from Pegasus, assuming that Galaxy still exists. Of course if Voyager's crew had found an Iconian Gateway, Star Trek's version of the Stargate, they could have jumped home through the gate. Sadly the ship wouldn't have made it through; too big.

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 05:50 AM
I couldn't help noticing the costumes...Dr. Weir in command wore red as did Picard. Dr. McKay wore Blue as did Dr. Beckett as did Dr. Crusher and Troi for science. No fun without the "red shirts."

What else did you spot?
I wouldn't classify the control room as much as "bridge" as I would "Ops" from DS9. In fact, the whole balcony over looking people (as others have pointed out) reminded me of overlooking the promenade. sp? It's akin to Voyager, but slightly different since it was voluntary and there is no estimate for time to return home. All they need is power.... like 1.28 Giggiwatts to charge their flux capacitor, which is the device that make wormhole travel possible...... Uh, nvm. I am worried about the "Janeway" complex from Dr. Weir, but we'll see. She isn't a millitary commander and she doesn't have the "I must prove to my crew I have "round reporducive organs akin to males' round reproductive organs" ( I think you know what I'm talking about without me saying it ) attitude. She does have the, "Don't forget I'm incharge" attitdue though.

sshspooky
July 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM
I even noticed Atlantis "borrowing" from the original series, having a blue woman as an alien (Wraith).

In the original series the female aliens were green.

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Well, when they start naming puddlejumpers after the names of rivers on Earth, then that'll be a big StarTrek DS9 nod. (although runabouts are much bigger than pj)

Could just imagine:
Sheppard: "OK, Ford, Teyla and myself will take the Rio Grande, you and you (pointing to the infamous "red shirts") will take the Euphrates."

"Red Shirt": "Oh $#%$#%#"

To add to Riker's quote:

"Fortune smiles on fools, children and ships named Enterprise or Rio Grande"

greytop
July 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM
I couldn't help noticing the costumes...Dr. Weir in command wore red as did Picard. Dr. McKay wore Blue as did Dr. Beckett as did Dr. Crusher and Troi for science.
I believe the Dr. Beckett's color were an off white or beige color.

DownFallAngel
July 20th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Yea it was Khaki.

VirtualCLD
July 20th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Yeah, I would think that it's closest to the StarTrek gold color, in which case they coloring scheme doesn't quite match StarTrek exactly, but one could argue that the idea is StarTrek-esque. On the other hand, color-scheming different positions is not just a StarTrek idea. Has anyone ever seen the deck crew for an aircraft carrier (yes, it isn't air force, it's navy and this op isn't even supposed to be millitary in nature)? They live by the color coding scheme and it really helps them out to save time and lives.

Lightmaker
July 20th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Let's start off by not calling these 'nods', rip offs!

This is Sci-Fi after all and think about this, the SGC is real. Actual people doing these things in our time.

Now given that this is a real time series and all the members live in our present, why wouldn't they make reference to popular culture, especially Sci-Fi shows which would be similar, such as Star Trek and Star Wars.

If Stargate was your reality, wouldn't you make similar comments?

How make believe should Sci-Fi be anyway?

Anthro Girl
July 20th, 2004, 09:47 AM
If Stargate was your reality, wouldn't you make similar comments?
Thank you. And yes, I would. All the time. :D

So does this mean the Atlantis team is going to miss the rest of ST Enterprise???!!! :eek: :p

Ace
July 20th, 2004, 11:23 AM
I think you guys watch too much Star Trek and are looking for stuff to compare! :D

Ace

Anthro Girl
July 20th, 2004, 11:26 AM
That's some real "It is not the spoon that bends" stuff right there Lightmaker. But there is just one problem... Star Trek aired way after the Ancients built the City of Atlantis.
I don't think the idea that Star Trek's "reality" is happening after the Ancient's "reality" is really relevant (gee, talk about spoon bending). I think the point is that one could reasonably assume - in the world of fictional television characters - that O'Neill goes home at night and watches reruns of Star Trek on SciFi, hence his "ship's log" crack in New Order ;)

Anthro Girl
July 20th, 2004, 11:29 AM
I think you guys watch too much Star Trek and are looking for stuff to compare! :D
LOL...ain't that the truth. I notice general ST stuff, but I totally missed the Voyager similarities and wouldn't know Janeway (or Janeaway?) if somebody here didn't mention it.

Thorette
July 20th, 2004, 11:48 AM
So does this mean the Atlantis team is going to miss the rest of ST Enterprise???!!! :eek: :p

Unfortunately yes, and any other programs they were interested in watching. I wonder what they will do for relaxation? Hide and seek? Hall baseball?

Back to the topic - yes they are nods and not ripoffs - we use references every day!

Anthro Girl
July 20th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Back to the topic - yes they are nods and not ripoffs - we use references every day!
Indeed. :D When Lt. Ford said "So we got ourselves a lifesigns detector" I was fully expecting to hear him say "tricorder"! :) (and no doubt someone will tell me that that is not what a tricorder is, thereby solidifying my status of ST idiot...:p )

greytop
July 20th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Indeed. :D When Lt. Ford said "So we got ourselves a lifesigns detector" I was fully expecting to hear him say "tricorder"! :) (and no doubt someone will tell me that that is not what a tricorder is, thereby solidifying my status of ST idiot...:p )
TO me. that is what at tricorder is. They probably want to name it something else so that Lt. Ford is the ST idiot of the show, not you.

Ace
July 20th, 2004, 12:05 PM
LOL...ain't that the truth. I notice general ST stuff, but I totally missed the Voyager similarities and wouldn't know Janeway (or Janeaway?) if somebody here didn't mention it.

Glad to hear it! I didn't even know that the people on ST wear matching uniforms. Never watched a Voyager episode in my life, so I was suprised to hear that they too were stranded. However from what I've been able to gather is that they were stranded not of their own free will. While the people who went to Atlantis did it knowing full well that they probably wouldn't be able to come back.

And the fact that people are comparing the sets of Atlantis to the "bridge" of ST shows. Come on!!! That's pushing it...your really reaching for something at that point!

Ace

Anthro Girl
July 20th, 2004, 12:06 PM
TO me. that is what at tricorder is. They probably want to name it something else so that Lt. Ford is the ST idiot of the show, not you.
Yes, but Sheppard told Ford that he's not allowed to name things...ever. :D

Okay...back on topic. RCC is an avowed fan of Star Wars and RDA has joked that he hopes SG-1 meets the cast of Star Trek on some other planet. They pay homage to the genre...

Tok'Ra Hostess
July 20th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Not sure I noticed any Star Trek references, but I did see a couple of nods at Stargate SG-1, notably Sumner saying he wouldn't have chosen Sheppard and then Sheppard's comment; "I'm sure you'll like me once you get to know me."

I just cracked up at that nod to COTG! :D

Then there was MacKay wanting to do Chevron Dude's "Chevron one engaged," spiel. Loved how Weir handled it: "Rodney." :)

Really? But isn't there a "bridge" on most ships? And Atlantis is, after all, a city ship. :)

And there is a bridge - albeit an enclosed one - at the SGC.

WraithKing
July 20th, 2004, 04:27 PM
In the original series the female aliens were green.

The Wraith are Green. They only looked Blue beacuse of the lights. Look at pics from the upcomming eps if you want to see the plae green skin.

Livi2Jack
July 20th, 2004, 04:45 PM
The Death Star was Star WARS not Trek.

Livi2Jack
July 20th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Thank you. And yes, I would. All the time. :D

Miss the rest of St: Enterprise....to quote the prez..."one can only hope."

Livi2Jack
July 20th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Yes, I overlooked Janeway in Weir. My hubby was grunting about another bi.chy hysterical female in charge. But you are right. The character is overcompensating.