Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Turn Off the Comments Section on Joe's Blog!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Turn Off the Comments Section on Joe's Blog!

I am pleading with Gateworld mods to please turn off the comments on Joe's blog. I just visited there and the comments section is filled with hate and negativity. It has become a forum for people to spew hate at other posters, at mods, at the actors, at the writers and producers, at everyone. And it's out of control. THey go their and rail about every single thing they don't like about, well, just about everything. And it's not just the latest blog. It happens over and over and over.

And the fans egg each other on, and they rile each other up until the whole thing turns into a mess. There is absolutely no notion of respect in the comments. No sense of boundaries or decency.

I know you'll say that this is Joe's Blog but it's on your site, which means you are condoning this kind of thing to continue. I think it's wrong to give an open, unmoderated forum to this kind of negativity, and I'd like you (the admins here) to close down or mod the comments.

Does anyone agree with me?

This has been discussed an infinite number of times

Darrens answer has been No as the blog is unmoderated
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
      This has been discussed an infinite number of times

Darrens answer has been No as the blog is unmoderated
      I don't follow the blogs, but if the site admins will not mod the comments, the people writing them should be able to.

Comment

Joe's a big boy...he can handle it.
        Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

The blog is Joe's property. We occasionally test the waters to see if he wants to make changes to the way things are done; so far, he doesn't. They'll come down when he wants them to come down.

He does read his comments -- you could certainly take up the suggestion with the guy who makes the decision!
          GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
          The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
          Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Yeah, the writers of the blogs have the ability to turn off and/or moderate comments themselves but Joe has chosen not to. I think he's amused by the rantings. For instance I noticed that Rainbow has chosen the option to view and approve any comments before they're posted.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
              I am pleading with Gateworld mods to please turn off the comments on Joe's blog. I just visited there and the comments section is filled with hate and negativity. It has become a forum for people to spew hate at other posters, at mods, at the actors, at the writers and producers, at everyone. And it's out of control. THey go their and rail about every single thing they don't like about, well, just about everything. And it's not just the latest blog. It happens over and over and over.

And the fans egg each other on, and they rile each other up until the whole thing turns into a mess. There is absolutely no notion of respect in the comments. No sense of boundaries or decency.

I know you'll say that this is Joe's Blog but it's on your site, which means you are condoning this kind of thing to continue. I think it's wrong to give an open, unmoderated forum to this kind of negativity, and I'd like you (the admins here) to close down or mod the comments.

Does anyone agree with me?

shards, if this is about the beating ben browder takes in joe's blog... stand in line with the amanda fans. it's very disheartening.

sally
              sally

sigpic

Comment

ShardsofGlass I hear what you are saying it is why I have choosen to not read Joe's blog. If Joe wants to put up with it then that is his business and as far as I'm concerned he can have at it.

Personally I think he is amused at how some folks act on the blog.
                My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Joe's a big boy and I think he can take the criticism.

He also knows how to separate valid comments from worthless tripe and probably gets a good laugh out of reading them...even the one's written by those 3 fries short of a happy meal. Heck, maybe especially those.

Furthermore, notice how whenever a troll says something really REALLY stupid or offensive, he/she/it is pounced on mercilessly by a horde of other posters.

And don't forget, sometimes Joe actually replies to some of the comments there and I personally enjoy getting to practically chat with him like that...and share recipes as well.

But it all boils down to the fact that it's Joe's choice. Except for a few idiotic comments now and then, most of the remarks are interesting, thought provoking or funny. I like to read those and either stomp on or ignore the idiotic ones.

And the pointless and stupid ones. I ignore those too.

The only thing that bothers me is the thought that the cast might read the hateful and vicious crapola and be hurt by it. Especially Amanda since she and Sam seem to bear the brunt of the troll ire, and from the interview she recently gave we know that she comes to GW.

I hate thinking about the possibility that she actually might go read one of Joe's blogs and then the comments and would of course be really hurt by them. That right there would break my heart because she is such a delightful and gracious human being and doesn't deserve any of that bile being thrown her way.
                  Last edited by Uber; 08 January 2006, 11:37 PM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

In a perverse way this is turning into a huge advert for Joe's blog. I for one will now have to check it out to find out what all the fuss is about.
                    sigpic
                    "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                      In a perverse way this is turning into a huge advert for Joe's blog. I for one will now have to check it out to find out what all the fuss is about.
                      Boy...the fishing is great here...

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        shards, if this is about the beating ben browder takes in joe's blog... stand in line with the amanda fans. it's very disheartening.

sally

No, no, no, it's the bashing of just about everyone: castmembers, posters, Joe, mods at Gateworld, everyone. Because of the anonymous posting feature, and the way people think they can influence the direction of the show, the posters resort to all kinds of hyperbole and name-calling and negativity. Posts get more and more outlandish and nasty.

It's the nastiness in general that makes it a horrible place. And the fact that people "pounce" on someone for "trollish" behavior is a huge part of the problem. When everyone defends someone or something that they like, they end up slinging mud at someone else. The blog becomes like the worst playground fight in history and it just never ends until the next blog is posted.

I just hate to see a place in existance here that indirectly encourages that kind of behavior.

Comment

Joe loves reading them. I was watching the commentary on the Atlantis DVD and they were joking about it. They won't change the show to suit the fans, it is their creation, they like to know what we think but they don't give a flying monkey about what we think.

Oh and Gateworld got a plug in the commentaries, I was like "I'm a member there!!!"
                          I'm a TrustNo1/Weir shipper Also TrustNo1/Carter shipper and TrustNo1/Teyla Shipper. In fact I'm a TrustNo1/Weir/Carter/Teyla shipper. Yes, that would be good Throw in some Vala in tight leather. Is this sig PG? Oh well

Thank you L-JADE for the sig, it ROCKS!!!

Waiting for my posts to be approved.

Comment

The problem is a lot of the anonymous posters (a lot = few when you take notice of the repeated word choice, sentence structure and basic grammer usage) think it is their right, nay their responsibility to personally inform Joe et all of the disasters that are present on the show, and how they are to be fixed ie: Which characters should be removed; what plot devices should be used, and how; how many lightbulbs and their wattage for the briefing room; when, where, why, if, how Jack is used etc...

They do this by articulate and thought provoking posts that insult TPTB, actors, fellow fans and multiple inanimate objects that offend their delicate sesibilities. They don't like it when they are not listened to, and are even less happy when Joe replies to them in kind.

It's facinating to note that even if you could decode their valuable and insightful suggestions amoungst the vitrol that seems to plague them (they seem to have a mucus problem), Joe couldn't use them anyway for legal reasons. It's amusing because if they really want to see something happen they shouldn't suggest it in Joe's blog and they don't realise this.

My suggestion is this :-

Do not communicate or feed the Anonymous posters; they are violent and disorientated. If confront use logic to baffle them and intelligence to confuse them; then call a cleaning crew.
                            Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Looks like some of the oppressive jackholes trolling through GW of late trying to eliminate anything negative have struck Joe's blog. While it's irritating, it's also kind of amusing. I mean, people pitching a hissy fit because- OH NOES!- a mod said something less-than-lositive about the show!! But if you take a look at the comments made in the blog, great gods above, it's a wonder peoples' eyes and fingers don't melt from the acidity.

The "don't feed the trolls" thing is the best bit of advice, but sadly under-used (and I suppose my comments here don't really help) but the biggest problem is that even if all the legitimate posters uniformly stopped rising to the bait, you'd still have the trolls feeding off each other and continuing the cycle of hatred. And what the trolls feed each other is more highly concentrated and vitriolic than anything a legitimate poster would ever say. So it'll never end.

Comment

Working...
                              X