PDA

View Full Version : Major Production Error...

Visno
July 18th, 2004, 03:10 PM
I haven't seen anyone post this but after the city rises and the doctor goes outside and talks to the military person(forget his name). You see a plotted plant with no leaves... looks like a tree. Love to know how a tree lives that long under water and stays in the pot :D

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 03:10 PM
maby it was an ancient tree. HAHAHAHA

diskiller
July 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM
I haven't seen anyone post this but after the city rises and the docotor goes outside and talks to the military person(forget his name). You see a plotted planet with no leaves... looks like a tree. Love to know how a tree lives that long under water and stays in the pot :D

Hmmm. I noticed this too, but forgot to post about it. Yes, it definitely looked like a tree or something that was potted on the outside balcony. Very strange indeed. Perhaps the force shield originally was like a bubble that was "around" the city, and that tree was protected by it. As energy was lost, the shield slowly colapsed coming in closer and closer till it was just barely around the structure. (Shield colapsing borrowed from a Season 7 episode, the one where Nevil and Pallan was in, which funnily enough, that actor reappears in Atlantis again too!)

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM
im sticking with the ancient tree theroy

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 03:40 PM
If humans are descendants of the Ancients maybe Ancient trees are descendants of earth trees. Maybe it is part of that "seeding planets with human life" thing.

Avalar
July 18th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Simple, it's....

The Waterproof Tree of the Ancients.

Visno
July 18th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Simple, it's....

The Waterproof Tree of the Ancients.

http://home.mchsi.com/~andy4590/1.jpg

Here is a pic of it!

DownFallAngel
July 18th, 2004, 04:49 PM
lol. I didn;t even notice that. We should submit these goofs to TV Tome.

Sargent Prendegast
July 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM
I've got a theory, maybe it's ancient sea weed that got dragged up when the city surfaced
:p

WraithKing
July 18th, 2004, 06:03 PM
I always assumed the forcefield was a bubble around the city. What are you guys thinking?

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM
I always assumed the forcefield was a bubble around the city. What are you guys thinking?
It should be, from the openning scene, theres a dome shield around the city and it shows a Puddle-Jumper flying through it. Also later on when Peter shows Weir that a shield collapses, bubbles rise.

Anthro Girl
July 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM
The forcefield should have protected the balcony, or at least it could have. No sunlight=no leaves. On the other hand, the tree in question looks like petrified wood (http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/jan/papr/rock.html) or driftwood...the kind of wood you get from being underwater a long, long time. (um...that didn't come out right :rolleyes: )

However, in addition to millions of years underwater and said tree, you need mud to make petrified wood. I didn't see any mud on the balcony, so I'm voting for the Waterproof Tree of the Ancients. Either that, or the team brought some foliage along to make the place more "homey" and ran outside and placed it there as soon as they surfaced. Uh-huh...

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 07:27 PM
It could've been a goof by the directors.

Or a techno-organic tree that can be programed to look like any plant they want.Yea, that would be cool.

Thor's Bodyguard
July 18th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Another error I noticed. When they sent the MALP from earth, you could see it lifting off the ramp like it was hanging on something.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 07:40 PM
Yea, I saw that, made it seem like someone was under it and crawling up the ramp with the shell of a malp on his back

David85
July 18th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Another error I noticed. When they sent the MALP from earth, you could see it lifting off the ramp like it was hanging on something.

There was a lot of misstakes and plot holes so let's not bring them all up. :)

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Why not, its something to do until we see the next episode, in which it will happen again and we find more mistakes until... you get the picture.

Anthro Girl
July 18th, 2004, 08:04 PM
It could have been rear-wheel drive or back-heavy. Having a remote-controlled buggy for a film set is no big deal. They get all the cool toys! :p

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Nah, definitely not rear wheel drive since the front wheels were spinning when airborne. Could be back heavy tho

Roatbaum
July 18th, 2004, 10:55 PM
maby it was an ancient tree. HAHAHAHA :D sometimes the sound of your own laughter just isn't enough. Good answer.

Torley
July 18th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Easy, retractable tree. Made in tandem with the Chia Pet and Astroturf Ancients.

voima
July 18th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I haven't seen anyone post this but after the city rises and the doctor goes outside and talks to the military person(forget his name). You see a plotted plant with no leaves... looks like a tree. Love to know how a tree lives that long under water and stays in the pot :D

Edit : Added Picture up here too.

Sheesh, use your imagination folks. Did someone say that Weir was the first one to step outside?? Maybe some of the people inside the city started to "decorate" the outeriors (the balcony for example) as soon as they hit the surface. There are many tree types wich stay alive without leaves and produces them only when planted outside. Or maybe the tree has been there all the time. Sure the trees from earth wouldn't survive underwater but this is different galaxy we are talking about. I think it's quite narrowminded to assume that the biology for plants (or anything) is similar to ours. Anyways, there can be various reasons why is the tree there. You have to remember that what we see in one hour episodes (well two hour in this case) doesn't cover _everything_ that's supposed to go on in the Atlantis base, we only see so little percentage of whats going on and you have to use your imagination to fill the gaps. And personally I would consider it rather boring if everything we see in the series is clearly explained with primitive and simple earth terms. This is SCI-FI, there is supposed to be confusing things and mind-teasers.. It's different planets we're talking about...

Manic
July 19th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I'm guessing that either...

1. It's an artifical tree, made to simulate plant life. Given enough time dry, it will sprout artificial leaves. I'm seeing a "we're trapped in a vine-covered city" episode in the future.
or
2. Someone put it there when Weir wasn't looking. Enough time went by for the balcony to completely dry off, so someone could've placed one of their potted plants from home there sometime between "I was hoping for a few extra days" and "I need to talk to you in private."

those are para-quotes, by the way. I can't remember actual lines from the show.

Anthro Girl
July 19th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I like the "vine-covered city" idea. Ancient Trees from Hell episode! ;)

I think it was a joke on the part of the set designers to give us something to talk about. :rolleyes:

Visno
July 19th, 2004, 02:30 PM
To much grasping for ideas when an obvious mistake occured. :P I love the show so far but I wish people would actually watch these shows and fix them before aired.

Greesha
July 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM
i think i'll go with the theory that it's an artificial plant - that's more of an excuse than a theory though.

Calicto
July 19th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Okay. It's not a goof... get it rite...

Plants CAN survive under water. It's called Hydroponics. It can reach light from hundred feet underwater and it can survive from oxygen from water.

It's also an alien plant.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Okay. It's not a goof... get it rite...

Plants CAN survive under water. It's called Hydroponics. It can reach light from hundred feet underwater and it can survive from oxygen from water.

It's also an alien plant.
Hydroponics doesn't work when its salt water though, or am I wrong?

Stargate Agent
July 19th, 2004, 07:14 PM
How about....who cares!!!! IT IS A FRIGGIN TREE. Major Production Error my ass.

EYU86
July 19th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Like I said a while back, its probably some techno-organic FAKE tree.

Anthro Girl
July 19th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Actually, I'm starting to think it's an Ancient disguised as a hydroponic, petrified, Waterproof Tree of the Ancients hanging out on the balcony so as to avoid detection. :eek:

Groupthink, groupthink, groupthink... :p

Beowulf
July 23rd, 2004, 10:03 PM
Minor Spoilers

In "Hide and Seek" you can see the trees are all over the city. And Weir says that eventually they'll have to get rid of the 10,000 year old dead plants.

Visno
July 24th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Minor Spoilers

In "Hide and Seek" you can see the trees are all over the city. And Weir says that eventually they'll have to get rid of the 10,000 year old dead plants.

Probally did that to cover up for their mistake. :P

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Spoiler space for Rising and Hide and Seek:

Probally did that to cover up for their mistake. :P
I seriously doubt that. That episode was filmed weeks, if not months ago.

I laughed when I heard that line about getting rid of the plants from Weir. If any of TPTB were reading this thread in the past week, they must have had a good laugh knowing Hide and Seek was in the can. ;)

insomniac8400
July 24th, 2004, 02:33 AM
I think its funny people called a true plot line a major production error. Quite funny.

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Certainly a Everlasting Ancient Tree! lol

HIj'Qa
July 24th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Here is a pic of it!

In Hide and Seek Weir gave instructions to get rid of all the dead plants, so it's gone now!
Or, better be.

Anubis
July 24th, 2004, 07:26 AM
lol You know what they're like!

Mio
July 24th, 2004, 07:29 AM
"And can we get rid of the 10,000 year old dead plants?!"

Visno
July 24th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Still doesn't explained how the ancient tree stayed on the balcony...... while the city was rising and not wash away etc. So it's still an error in my mind.

Mio
July 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
Still doesn't explained how the ancient tree stayed on the balcony...... while the city was rising and not wash away etc. So it's still an error in my mind.
The shield may have remained around the control tower until it was partially above water.

Planet Surrey
July 24th, 2004, 02:02 PM
The shield may have remained around the control tower until it was partially above water.

The tree is a small question. A much bigger one is how does a city survive 10 million years of entropy and erosion submerged in an ocean?

CyberKnight
July 24th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Spoilers

The tree is definately dead. In fact it looks like the same prop the kid picked up in Hide and Seek. That was nothing more than a bunch of branches in a pot.

Beeblebrox
July 24th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Dead or alive, the plant seems undisturbed by the thousands of gallons of sea water that would have engulfed the area when the shield failed. The plant is quietly sitting there for the same reason that the balcony is completely dry and free of ocean borne residue moments after rising up out of the deep. I'm not sure what that reason is, but if the floor next to the plant is dry then the area must have been protected from the elements.

Personally, I find the whole set a little too new looking for a city that is millions of years old. But that's just me.

-B

Yu Huang Shang Ti
July 24th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Except for being covered in a lava dome in one case and a glacier in the other, the Ancient outposts on Earth were looking pretty good. Now factor in the shield over Atlantis and it was pretty much a sealed environment.

Also, behind-the-scenes comments in the Star Trek Encyclopedia state that starships have self-cleaning carpets. Maybe Atlantis has self-scrubbing walls?

David85
July 24th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Oh my God people...

It's a freaking deap plant, get over it!

The shield was prob still around that area, because if it was not it would have gone into the control area and everone would be dead.

Dumb things like this are the reason why Sci-Fi fans get called names aka nerds...

Selmak
July 24th, 2004, 04:51 PM
I don't think I would call an out of place tree a "MAJOR PRODUCTION ERROR"... it's not like the gate was upside down or there was a rubber ducky in the water.

Anthro Girl
July 24th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I don't think I would call an out of place tree a "MAJOR PRODUCTION ERROR"... it's not like the gate was upside down or there was a rubber ducky in the water.
Rubber ducky. Now that would be cool. :eek: :D :p :D

Lord You
July 24th, 2004, 09:40 PM
How do you tell if a gate is upside down?