This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for a new Spoiler Tag function

On one of the other forums I spend way too much time on, we discuss alot of tv shows and movies and stuff too, and we integrated a spoiler-hiding function as well.

i'm not sure if its a vbulletin hack, or an actual option - i can ask the admin there (i know him well) if there is actual intrest on this.

anyway here are some screenshots of it:

when typing your reply to a message and you want to include spoiler info, you click the spoiler button

the result when posted is this (i just took it from our thread for the show LOST -

its a nice simple thing that shows its a spoiler, and to reveal whats hidden, you simply click the button!

and the text is revealed. and then click the button again to re-hide it.

you can also put other vb code in there, like for pics, and make pictures hidden. we do that alot too.

IMO, its easier to read than trying to squint and read the highlighted text when you have to highlight it as it works now.

anyway, just an idea!

and sorry if this is the wrong forum for this - it was the best i could decide.
    Highlight the white text to read (current)
    23.33%
    Click the "Reveal" button (suggested)
    75.00%
    Something else entirely (post it!)
    1.67%

The poll is expired.

Originally posted by Morbo
    On one of the other forums I spend way too much time on, we discuss alot of tv shows and movies and stuff too, and we integrated a spoiler-hiding function as well.
    I like that idea, I am on a forum that uses a similar system with a box you click on to reveal the spoilers, it saves on big pages of text and in GWs case white pages. Still it doesn't mean people will use tags but it might help.

Comment

Originally posted by Drwho'srose
      I like that idea, I am on a forum that uses a similar system with a box you click on to reveal the spoilers, it saves on big pages of text and in GWs case white pages. Still it doesn't mean people will use tags but it might help.
      it is also "just a click of a button" rather than the typing of [spoil ][/spoil ]

Comment

geez, don't go movin too quickly there young fella! Some of us still remember where there was NO spoiler space at ALL! (it wasn't pretty, those of us avoiding spoilers looked like this...

Sounds like a nice alternative to what we have now - how does it work when quoted? I'm sure Darren is either aware of it/has looked into it/has run screaming from the concept...

Comment

Yes! that would be helpful. I always confuse [ spoilers ] with [ quote ] don't know why but anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
            geez, don't go movin too quickly there young fella! Some of us still remember where there was NO spoiler space at ALL! (it wasn't pretty, those of us avoiding spoilers looked like this...

Sounds like a nice alternative to what we have now - how does it work when quoted? I'm sure Darren is either aware of it/has looked into it/has run screaming from the concept...
            Hehe I've been boarding for a good 6 years or so myself, and we didn't have the spoiler tags till this year oursevles haha.
            It looks exactly the same when quoted. It appears as it does in the 2nd picture i posted, except within the quoteed text box.
            but of course when you're in the reply box page, the text is displayed (so don't go quoting things if you don't want to read them! hehe)

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTimePerson
              it is also "just a click of a button" rather than the typing of [spoil ][/spoil ]
              ahhh. see, i was actually wondering about that as I was making this thread because I couldn't for the life of me find a button or any tag to click that inserted the spoiler tags! lol.
              well now I know anyway!

Comment

i hate to be vain, but couldn't we find something better looking.

there is another code which hides the post until you click a button, the spoiler can also be changed to tell people what the spoiler is about so instead of [spoiler], you can do [spoiler=sg1 season 9 secrets] or something like that. it would make the posts look better than having it say Spoiler: or having a box contain the spoilered content.

the spoiler box in the posts either be [show spoiler] or [show spoiler about sg1 season secrets] so its neat, can hide all things within the spoiler including images and quoting a spoiler just shows the button you need to click.

sigpic

Comment

I had always wanted a little button that would insert a spoiler tag, but I never thought of the button to reveal the spoiler in the text. I like that idea a lot!.
                  ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade
                    i hate to be vain, but couldn't we find something better looking.

there is another code which hides the post until you click a button, the spoiler can also be changed to tell people what the spoiler is about so instead of [spoiler], you can do [spoiler=sg1 season 9 secrets] or something like that. it would make the posts look better than having it say Spoiler: or having a box contain the spoilered content.

the spoiler box in the posts either be [show spoiler] or [show spoiler about sg1 season secrets] so its neat, can hide all things within the spoiler including images and quoting a spoiler just shows the button you need to click.
                    what do you mean better looking?
                    Here's what it looks like better in a post - both quoted from a previous post and as a reply:
                    http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/1305/spoil41kd.jpg
                    or

And won't people know what the spoiler contains based on the context of the rest of your post, or the title of your thread?

Comment

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/62/untitled11sv.jpg

this is what i mean by better. 4 different types of posting, normal, images, quotes and quoting posts with images.

as you can see, everything is covered by a single button and you don't get. top button is what you seem, below is what happens when you click the button. all you get is the button, the button says its a spoiler so you don't get Spoiler: and you don't get your spoilered text in a box, just quoted text which is in a box anyway. i think this looks better.

there are various reasons why people would want to give a clue about what their spoiler is about. several topics being discussed at once and not wanting people reading the wrong things, talking about events in new episodes in threads about old episodes or crossovers between shows which others haven't had the chance to see and things like that.

sigpic

Comment

This has been suggested a million times and we always get told its on the to do list
                        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                          This has been suggested a million times and we always get told its on the to do list
                          I think everything is on the to do list (new spoiler tag, inserting episodes into the BSG Season 1 folder, etc)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
                            I think everything is on the to do list (new spoiler tag, inserting episodes into the BSG Season 1 folder, etc)
                            I think he should get the new lackeys....erm I mean mods to do it
                            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                            love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                              I think he should get the new lackeys....erm I mean mods to do it
                              maybe, oh wait, they don't have Admin access
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X