PDA

View Full Version : Ancients Built Atlantis for SGC

Satellite
July 18th, 2004, 11:08 AM
This is just my opinion on the whole deal, but I think that the Ancients, using their incredible knowledge and foresight, built and positioned Atlantis for the humans of the SGC to find millions of years after the fact. Why, you ask?

Well, for example, humans learn at an incredible rate (take for example what we accomplished in the 2oth century). Now think about a parent race, such as the Ancients, who are perhaps even more intelligent. Now consider that it must have taken millions of years for the Ancients to evolve into human form and learn enough knowledge in order to build an entire city capable of traveling on an interstellar journey.

We're talking about millions of years worth of knowledge and the city of Atlantis uses push button operation to access control functions and fly ships. Granted, there is the mind integration found on the puddle jumpers, but look how easily Dr. Wier and crew were able to initiate operations in a city built by the Ancient's knowledge. It just seems too "tailor-made" to me, that Sg-A was
able to stumble into Atlantis and do things such as using and flying a puddle jumper using good 'ole American know-how... What do you think?

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 11:11 AM
The Ancients probably added regular controls because they understood that if some descendant found it, not everyone would have the gene.

Satellite
July 18th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Also, the supposed story is that the Wraith were the enemy of the Ancients and were able to defeat them. Well, it couldn't have been in open space battle, just look at how a single puddle jumper was able to destroy an entire squad of Wraith
fighters.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 11:19 AM
The Ancients were undermanned and not prepared. So they probably didn't have any ships, and only Atlantis as a base of operations. The Wraith were warlike and is probably always looking for stuff to drain lifeforce from. So they were superior in numbers and tactics and all that. The Ancients had better quality, but were ultimatily overrun.

CelticPhantom
July 18th, 2004, 11:20 AM
That plus the plague, everybody forgets the plague that helped wipe out the ancients.

SaberBlade
July 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM
i don't know. it took O'Neill to get the ancient knowledge, go to another ancient outpost, swipe the power source and then bring it back to earth just to get the chance of learning the location of Atlantis. if they were so smart and planned ahead they should have left a few ZPM's about in case the original died

the Ancients are also very cautious about who uses their technology, if they didn't want the SGC to test the weapon that they discovered in Ascencion then the SGC being in control of Atlantis would be a whole lot worse as information and the technology would be worse than 1 weapon and then there is always what would happen if an enemy like the Goa'uld or the Wraith got their hands on the knowledge which would be even worse.

Manic
July 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM
That's assuming the plague wasn't the reason they left for the Pegasus Galaxy in the first place.

CelticPhantom
July 18th, 2004, 11:24 AM
That's assuming the plague wasn't the reason they left for the Pegasus Galaxy in the first place.

True enough.

Satellite
July 18th, 2004, 11:27 AM
For example, take a look at how easily O'neil was able to make the replicator-blaster, or replicator de-atonmizer in "The new Order". He used the knowledge put into his mind by the Ancient library device (While he was connected to the Daniel Jackson). I don't know many Earth humans who are efficient at building weapons while fused to an Asgard ship's computer.

Selmak
July 18th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Isn't that what the holo-ancient-lady said?

Satellite
July 18th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Also,
You've got to keep in mind that there's a reason why Ascended Ancients don't interfere. This could be the reason why the make it difficult, but not impossible for the SGC to suceed.

Satellite
July 18th, 2004, 11:37 AM

According to the Ascended Daniel Jackson, the plauge the Ancients fell victim
too sort of forced them to learn how to ascend.

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 11:48 AM
the ancients made the city for themselves because they couldnt ascend back in the day. they were advanced humans thats it.

Lord You
July 18th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I think it would be cool if the Ancients were actually the decendents of normal humans from hundreds of years in the future. Then some of them were accidently thrown millions of years _back in time_. It could explain how they got so advanced.

Erik Pasternak
July 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I think it would be cool if the Ancients were actually the decendents of normal humans from hundreds of years in the future. Then some of them were accidently thrown millions of years _back in time_. It could explain how they got so advanced.If that were the case, Atlantis would have definitly had some extra ZPMs, because they would have known about Dr. Weir and her team.

aAnubiSs
July 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
But the first time when humans evolved on earth, who would be their Ancients then?

Manic
July 18th, 2004, 02:12 PM
The extra ZPMs might be in the once-flooded parts of the city. It's not like they had a lot of time to explore.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 02:18 PM
McKay said something about if there were more ZPM's the sensor thing would have found it already.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 02:19 PM
:nod: They probably output a lot of energy, and are visible to various scanners.

ylai
July 18th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Well, for example, humans learn at an incredible rate (take for example what we accomplished in the 2oth century).

Well, for example, humans can also waste a lot of time with lerning nothing (take for example what we accomplished during the 1000 years of Middle Age).

hokiewalrus
July 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM
I think it would be cool if the Ancients were actually the decendents of normal humans from hundreds of years in the future. Then some of them were accidently thrown millions of years _back in time_. It could explain how they got so advanced.

But then it would be the Planet of the Apes. I can see Weir now..."You monsters! You blew it up!"

I was actually thinking about this problem earlier. I know you have to take things for granted, like the writing on the consoles. Even these days we have organic displays that only use power to change what they show and all kinds of touch-sensitive panels. It seems unlikely that the Ancients would buil mechanical buttons with writings etched on to them (like the Atlantis DHD).

The only thing I was able to come up with was something like the recent Battlestar Gallactica miniseries on SciFi. Perhaps the technology was kept relatively primitive purposefully because of something similar to the replicators. To put it another way, the Stargate had to work, no matter what, so the control room and suport system were built with less sophisticated but very reliable and (for the Ancients) easy to repair components.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 03:55 PM
The only thing I was able to come up with was something like the recent Battlestar Gallactica miniseries on SciFi. Perhaps the technology was kept relatively primitive purposefully because of something similar to the replicators. To put it another way, the Stargate had to work, no matter what, so the control room and suport system were built with less sophisticated but very reliable and (for the Ancients) easy to repair components.
Or there is some kind of system that can automatically regenerate any mechanical components.

Blue_Revan
July 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM
i think the bottons hold many more perposes then a dhd or a keyboard. They are all touch sensitive and seem to read your mind, like on the puddle jumper. he was touching the bottons and the ship was reading his mind giving him scanning devices and sandwitches and stuff.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 03:58 PM
i think the bottons hold many more perposes then a dhd or a keyboard. They are all touch sensitive and seem to read your mind, like on the puddle jumper. he was touching the bottons and the ship was reading his mind giving him scanning devices and sandwitches and stuff.
Sorry, you're all wrong.

After watching the Lowdown again, It is confirmed that everything up their (in it's current design) serves a vital purpose....heating McKay's coffee....

langdonboom
July 18th, 2004, 04:44 PM
They had to have left Earth in the Atlantis-ship AFTER the plague, wouldn't they, since "Ayiana" had the disease and infected all those who uncovered her in the ice with it.

UNLESS, after setting up all our 'local' gates the Ancients left Earth in the Atlantis-ship (the 'moving on from this region of space' as mentioned by Thor), and for a while had a grand old time spreading their seed around the Pegasus Galaxy, got in troble with the Wraith, had a big war that (as according to the AncientHoloLady) forced them to retreat to Atlantis, and finally submerge it, using the Stargate to allow some of them to return back to Earth. Which in my own slowly-cobbled together timeline means that sometime after that they ascended.

Is this making sense? Am I missing something?

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 04:45 PM
No one even knows if Ayana had the disease.
Their past is still very clouded.

Torley
July 18th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Yeah, what's with all the playa-hatin' on her! Speaking of, I still have to see that episode because that's a neat tie-in and I've only read about it up to this point.

It sure does generate fan theories from us Gaters and that's good for them, no doubt.

Mio
July 18th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Pity Ayana didn't ascend instead of dying.

EYU86
July 18th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Yea, that sucked
None of her Ascended people even bothered to help her ascend either.
Or maybe they did and she said no...

Lord You
July 24th, 2004, 11:17 PM
If that were the case, Atlantis would have definitly had some extra ZPMs, because they would have known about Dr. Weir and her team.
If they left more ZPMs, then it is possible that the Wraith could have found the city. It seems to me that the Ancients hid Atlantis at the bottom of the sea so it wouldn't have been raided.

As for Ancients being the first form, where are all the fossiles and bones? I bet only a few hundred thousand to a million surived on Earth.

July 25th, 2004, 07:53 AM
We're still not sure if Earth is the planet where Ancients evolved. And since SG-1 is an ongoing series, if the writers wanted they could elaborate it further. The episode could be about the home planet of the Ancients, the daily lives of the Ancients!

furry
July 25th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I don't think the Ancients built Atlantis just for humans, much less Dr. Weir's team. That's just too far fetched.

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Yeah, I agree. I think it was built for anyone that could advance themselves to the Ancient's level of understanding on HOW to get there

po134
July 25th, 2004, 08:39 AM
TRAVELLERS) WITH OPEN HEARTS WILL ALWAYS BE WELCOME REFUGEES

:p That was write next to the gate of Atlantis ...

This is a refugees city, everybody is welcome here ! ;)

Anubis
July 25th, 2004, 09:36 AM
YAY, an Anubis come? ;)

Ancient 1
August 6th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Also, like the Tollans, the Ancients probably became very complacent and over confident in their technology. They probably also forgot how to think in terms of war; as did the Tollan. That's why Teal'c had to defy O'neill's order to stand down in "Desperate Measures."

Ancient 1
August 7th, 2004, 12:44 AM
Well, for example, humans can also waste a lot of time with lerning nothing (take for example what we accomplished during the 1000 years of Middle Age).
It is my theory that when the Ancients returned to Earth that is was they who led us out of the Dark Ages. I can't remember what thread I was responding to. Oh, well, now I've said it twice.

aschen
August 7th, 2004, 02:11 PM
The Ancients probably added regular controls because they understood that if some descendant found it, not everyone would have the gene.
Kind of like legacy software, right? :)

Ancient 1
August 7th, 2004, 07:55 PM
They had to have left Earth in the Atlantis-ship AFTER the plague, wouldn't they, since "Ayiana" had the disease and infected all those who uncovered her in the ice with it.

UNLESS, after setting up all our 'local' gates the Ancients left Earth in the Atlantis-ship (the 'moving on from this region of space' as mentioned by Thor), and for a while had a grand old time spreading their seed around the Pegasus Galaxy, got in troble with the Wraith, had a big war that (as according to the AncientHoloLady) forced them to retreat to Atlantis, and finally submerge it, using the Stargate to allow some of them to return back to Earth. Which in my own slowly-cobbled together timeline means that sometime after that they ascended.

Is this making sense? Am I missing something?
*thick Mex accent* Plague? Plague? We don't need no stinking plague!

I must have missed a couple of eps. but if what you say is true, your timeline sounds right to me.

Hooni
August 7th, 2004, 08:05 PM
The Ancients probably submerged their city and left it in perfect, ready-to-go order in the hopes that they or their decendents could someday return. Considering there are members of the team who have the Ancient's gene, they were technically right. Their decendents have come back.

Also, just as all humans don't have the gene, maybe there was a time when all Ancients didn't have those abilities. The old push button methods would have been a must then.

Ancient 1
August 7th, 2004, 08:12 PM
On a slightly different line....was the hologram message from the Ancients on SGA series premiere really in English, or is ine of those times we skipped translation due to time constraints?

WurdBendur
August 7th, 2004, 08:46 PM
On a slightly different line....was the hologram message from the Ancients on SGA series premiere really in English, or is ine of those times we skipped translation due to time constraints?

I'd say it was supposed to be in Ancient, but like almost everything else, it was done in English to avoid the need for a translation.

Ancient 1
August 9th, 2004, 04:16 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks for the input.

Major Fischer
August 9th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Not that this response isn't really late, but despite what they say in Enigma western civilization learned quite a bit during the middle ages. That's why calling them the Dark Ages has fallen out of favor in modern times. Buildings, ships, metal working...

Not to mention that the Arabs and others continued to advance in writing and mathmatics. Many of the "discoveries" of the Renessiance were in fact the introduction of both ancient greek and roman writings and islamic ideas. Not to mention China and India... It's a very Euro-centric idea that humanity stopped learning during that period.

mavrick1028
August 19th, 2004, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Anubis]Yeah, I agree. I think it was built for anyone that could advance themselves to the Ancient's level of understanding on HOW to get there[/QUO

In my theroy im am shure that the ancients left the city for the atlantis team.
The anchients were very smart and the wanted to keep the human race around for all time. Once they were advanced enough they began to seed other galexies so the human race would grow. They left the stargate on those planets so the humans of those worlds could trade and learn form eachother. The anchients would move from galexy seeding other galexies. When they encounterd the wraith they were overrun. They still were not wiped out by the wraith. After fighting for a wile the wraith realized that they could not defeat the ancients in a allout war. So the wraith devolped the plege and forced the ancients to retreat back to earth ware they knew that the wraith could not reach them. When the got back to the milkey way they devoloped various ways to try to save themselves from the wraith. Like the time machine and other wepons. Finally the realized the were beaten and created the reposotory of knolage. Then when the humans of the worlds they seeded reached a certian point they could look into it and gain all of the ancients knolage and pick up ware the ancients left off. After the ancients finished preseving there races knolage they were forced to then assend.

mavrick1028
August 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM
In my theroy im am shure that the ancients left the city for the atlantis team.
The anchients were very smart and the wanted to keep the human race around for all time. Once they were advanced enough they began to seed other galexies so the human race would grow. They left the stargate on those planets so the humans of those worlds could trade and learn form eachother. The anchients would move from galexy seeding other galexies. When they encounterd the wraith they were overrun. They still were not wiped out by the wraith. After fighting for a wile the wraith realized that they could not defeat the ancients in a allout war. So the wraith devolped the plege and forced the ancients to retreat back to earth ware they knew that the wraith could not reach them. When the got back to the milkey way they devoloped various ways to try to save themselves from the wraith. Like the time machine and other wepons. Finally the realized the were beaten and created the reposotory of knolage. Then when the humans of the worlds they seeded reached a certian point they could look into it and gain all of the ancients knolage and pick up ware the ancients left off. After the ancients finished preseving there races knolage they were forced to then assend.