Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The History/Timeline of the Ancients BIG SPOILER ALERT (Mostly Rising)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The History/Timeline of the Ancients BIG SPOILER ALERT (Mostly Rising)

First off let me warn you:
    SPOILERS FROM RISING AS WELL AS PREVIOUS SG-1 EPISODES SUCH AS FROZEN, WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY, AND LOST CITY

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S
    P
    A
    C
    E

To put it all into perspective, this is what I have pieced together about what we know so far about the Ancients. Keep in mind that these are my thoughts and are NOT canon. They may be based on facts from Stargate, but the whole history itself is not fact, just a theory of mine.

Many millions of years ago, the Ancients inhabited Earth in a flying city. During their time in our galaxy, they created a network of stargates, most likely for the benefit of exploration and trading with other races. It is possible they didn’t even start on Earth, but this isn’t made clear. We’ve seen another outpost on another world in Lost City and if my theory that the outpost acts like a landing pad (see the very first scene in Rising) than the city of Atlantis could have inhabited other planets prior to Earth.

At some point, several million years ago (I believe it was mentioned 5 to 10 million years ago) they Ancients up and left, leaving our dear friend Ayiana behind (why, I’m not sure, possibly to “hold the fort”). She gets frozen for a couple million years and wakes up in Season 6 of SG-1 in Frozen.

Atlantis arrives in the Pegasus galaxy and they start seeding thousands of worlds (most likely over the course of a million years) with humans like us. Then they encounter the Wraith, who start feeding on the smorgasbord of defenseless, primitive humans and grow in numbers to overwhelm the Ancients. The Ancients, not being an overly offensive people, don’t have much in the way of warriors and the Wraith technology rivals their own, so they are beat back to Atlantis, where they sit under siege for many years. The last remaining Ancients in the city then flee back to Earth through the Atlantis stargate and hopefully covering their tracks so the Wraith can’t follow. Now, I assume they arrive at the outpost, but I’m not sure. Ayiana has been frozen for some time, maybe she got stuck in an avalanche by accident. It is most likely the Ancients did arrive at the outpost to find it quickly overcome by the ice age.

My guess is this happened many thousands of years ago, somewhere between 10,000 and 14,000 years ago. Plato recounted the tale of Atlantis after hearing it from an Egyptian priest. Back then, the story said Atlantis sank 10,000 years ago, so it is likely that from our present time perspective we need to add about 2400 years onto that figure. Plato stated that Atlantis “lied beyond the pillars of Herakles (Hercules for those who prefer the Latin spelling) which is the Straight of Gibraltar. This makes sense if some of the Ancients migrated from the Antarctic outpost and met with some of the seeded humans in the Mesopotamia region. To the humans, it would have appeared that they came from a place that lay beyond the Mediterranean.

Now, from Earth, the Ancients probably attempted to survive by going back to the other worlds in our galaxy that they once occupied and along the way, encountered several races. It is also this time that the Goa’uld have started rising in power and have taken the Unas as hosts as well as starting to scavange from the old Ancient technology. The Ancients met up with the Nox, the Furlings and the Asgards and eventually formed the Alliance to defend against the Goa’uld. From here, I think the Ancients started dying off from the “plague,” but I’m not sure if it was a disease they accidentally carried over form the Pegasus galaxy that laid dormant, or if the plague was something else. We do know that in WoO, the time machine, which appeared to have been built and used in our own galaxy, was used by the Ancients in an attempt to buy them some more time to save themselves from the plague. This is why I think that the “plague” definitely affected the Ancients in this galaxy, probably after they returned from Atlantis, and they ascended while they were here in our galaxy.

Alright, so that is my “interpretation” of what we’ve heard so far about the Ancients, feel free to pick holes in it as much as you would like. I will either try to attempt to fill in those holes or agree with you and make the holes bigger. Please, add your thoughts and opinions to it.
    Last edited by VirtualCLD; 26 July 2004, 11:19 AM.

It could be that Ayiana is the person first infected by the plauge, so she had to stay behind so everyone else wouldn't be infected.

Comment

Hey, good point, didn't think of that.

Comment

That way they had to keep her frozen so everyone on earth wouldn't be infected, but the Ancients that lived with her before were infected. They managed to heal themselves for a while, but eventually they died.

Some invented some sort of technology, either gene manipulation of some sort or something totally new and the result was that they became energy beings.

The other alternative is that somehow a group of Ancients repidly evolved while the others didn't.
        This would mean they got introduced to some material/radiation or something, but my guess is on technology. since they learned how to ascend.

I don't think it's spiritual.

Comment

Since their time loop thing didn't work, they should have used a solar flare and sent themselves a note in the past giving details about the plague and their latest research in finding a cure.
          *Peter turns on the energy based iris while Atlantis is very low on power*
          McKay - "Using power, using power, using power..."

Comment

The machine from Metamorphosis comes flying into my mind

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
              The machine from Metamorphis comes flying into my mind
              That would have been nice, just erase the part of them thats getting infected, or change it slightly so it won't get infected.

Comment

Originally posted by EYU86
                That would have been nice, just erase the part of them thats getting infected, or change it slightly so it won't get infected.
                Actually I meant they introduced something / changed something so that they'd ascend.

But they could've cured themselves, and when all other Ancients were dead they formed the allegiance with the Nox, Asgard and Furlings. THEN they evolved and ascended.

Guess that works.

Comment

Yes, yes it does

Comment

I don't think the Ancients were overwhelmed by the Wraith forces... The shield covering Atlantis held... and if the Ancient Outposts are any indication it is possible that Atlantis has it's own defenses possibly millions of drones. The virus was more likely the reason for the move back to Earth.

Comment

We'll just have to wait and see.

Comment

Much more fun to speculate

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
                          I don't think the Ancients were overwhelmed by the Wraith forces... The shield covering Atlantis held... and if the Ancient Outposts are any indication it is possible that Atlantis has it's own defenses possibly millions of drones. The virus was more likely the reason for the move back to Earth.
                          They may not have bothered giving their colonies shields. Atlantis had a shield becuase it's a big city...it flys through space....so they had to keep the air in.

The holoancient said that 'in the hopes of spreading life to a galaxy where there appeared to be none'

They had no idea that they'd have an enemy here.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                            It could be that Ayiana is the person first infected by the plauge, so she had to stay behind so everyone else wouldn't be infected.
                            As people have pointed out from time to time, it's quite possible that the disease Ayiana had wasn't the same disease that plagued the Ancients. Considering it wasn't affecting her, it's possible it was just another disease that to the Ancients wasn't anything, while to us, it was a deadly plague (like the diseases Europeans brought to America) On the other side, she could have been a carrier (infected but not affected). Preferably I'd like it to just be some minor disease, as that disease being the plague just feels kind of lame to me.
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

But then why didn't they unfreeze her when they went back to Earth?

Comment

Working...
                              X