This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Screen of Death - 6th Jan

We are currently aware of some issues related to load on our main DB server with the forums. We will be monitoring the situation during the next 24 hoiurs, and be on hand to contend with any issues that arise to minimise possible issues during the new episodes to be aired on Friday night.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Yes, it was highly distracting - I would manage to read a thread, write a post and then lose it to the WSOD after hitting submit....I tell you, it was a nightmare, what am I supposed to do? Do work at work?!?! oh the humanity!.... [/flippant sarcasm]

*mild glaring* and now it won't show me the full list of smileys! How can I find something appropriately glaring without the fill smiley list?!?

PS: tee hee, it's back.... mwahaaaa!

Comment

Can the WSOD be customized to reflect a Gate-themed message?

The Gateworld Dialing computer has experienced a malfunction and is unable to dial outgoing wormholes at this time...etc, etc, etc...An alert has been sent to our technicians...etc, etc, etc...Rodney McKay, Colonel Samantha Carter and the Area 51 Research & Development team have been contacted...etc, etc, etc...
      "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
        Can the WSOD be customized to reflect a Gate-themed message?

The Gateworld Dialing computer has experienced a malfunction and is unable to dial outgoing wormholes at this time...etc, etc, etc...An alert has been sent to our technicians...etc, etc, etc...Rodney McKay, Colonel Samantha Carter and the Area 51 Research & Development team have been contacted...etc, etc, etc...
        This has been discussed previously. The WSOD only appears when something bad is happening with the server (usually high traffic / big loads), so having a customised error page just will slow things further.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
          This has been discussed previously. The WSOD only appears when something bad is happening with the server (usually high traffic / big loads), so having a customised error page just will slow things further.
          However, if the WSOD is just a static HTML file that is displayed when an error occurrs, it would be a matter of editing the specific HTML file.
          "The Clarke Postulate - One's ability to correctly explain advanced theoretical thermodynamics as applied to string theory within a fictional context is directly related to one's ability to cook the perfect lemon chicken with mushrooms in a nice garlic butter sauce. While some use this unexpected correlation as proof of intelligent design, I believe that its all about the person's choice of mushrooms.

I also believe that there is a tear developing in the space-time continuum which if left uncheck will allow Microsoft to become a world power. I suspect that unless we all download Firefox 3 on the same day, thus sealing the tear, that life as we know it may be over and children will have their teddy bears and blankets ripped mercilessly from their arms.

Comment

why dont you change [email protected] to something like [email protected] and actually receive the emails
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

Are you insane man?! That'll mean, like, a million emails a day!

Hold on...hmm...let's see...let's say 1000 people visit this forum daily, and recently...let's say an average of 10 WSOD...ok, that's 10000 emails a day!!

Comment

Thats my point exactly - maybe they will realise the magnitude of the situation then I get the screen like 20 times in an hour

They can mass delete them every 5 minutes when the inbox is full
                gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by chyron
                  However, if the WSOD is just a static HTML file that is displayed when an error occurrs, it would be a matter of editing the specific HTML file.
                  Because as i said before, that would increase the load significantly. A redirector would have to be put onto the code to redirect to a static URL, and would not let users "Refresh" when the forum is back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                    why dont you change [email protected] to something like [email protected] and actually receive the emails
                    Yes, in extreme cases, everytime someone gets a WSOG, we get an email, and we have internal alerts system that notify us when things like this happen, so having an additional 10,000 emails doesnt really help us t hat much (Also, with the mailserver churning out 10k emails, it just slows that down too.)

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                      Yes, in extreme cases, everytime someone gets a WSOG, we get an email, and we have internal alerts system that notify us when things like this happen, so having an additional 10,000 emails doesnt really help us t hat much (Also, with the mailserver churning out 10k emails, it just slows that down too.)
                      These white screens are sooooo(there is not enough space to express all the "o" I would need) annoying. Please, fix this!!

Comment

You think this is annoying in the past this place has gone down for days
                        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Qasim
                          You think this is annoying in the past this place has gone down for days
                          I would be ok with that instead of up and down stuff.

Comment

I suppose it has a certain consistency to it
                            love Torri

Comment

We will be moving the DB to a different, more powerful 4-CPU system tonight between 5 and 7am US EST to fix the WSOD's

Comment

Working...
                              X